PDA

View Full Version : So I learnt something yesterday - staggered wheels is bad

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 06:41 AM
Staggered wheel setup on a car not designed for it, makes for bad driveability? I was planning on 335's in back and 275's up front. I'm told I should have 275's on all 4 wheels "square setup". This weekend I will put some 275's up front to see how much I can fit but I believe I could do 315's? or at least 285's on all 4 corners on this thing.

So with that said... wider rear than front can cause more oversteer? But if I increase the spring rate up front or a larger front sway bar, it should compensate? Sorry I'm new to this and trying to understand the concept of weight balance and trying to calculate where the weight will be in a turn lol Plus I suck at maths.

That's gonna suck, I will need to make sure I get the correct offset for the IRS and spacers or 1996 spindles up front to square it up?

There's a lot to learn about setting up a car, I don't want to build something that may look cool but will want to plant itself in a wall the first time out. lol

ZR
07-13-2018, 06:59 AM
What is the intended use?

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 07:07 AM
I been to an autocross event once some time ago... loved it. So autocross and some road racing and extremely aggressive off/on ramp highway sprints lol... <- Right now, it feels like the car is setup ok (ish) as I feel like there's more in the car but I'm too scared to find the limit on the street.

Edit: I mean, I've never been able to drive a foxbody in that way before... it's kind of scary. Because normally you can take a lifted 4x4 truck much faster in turns than a stock fox. lol

ZR
07-13-2018, 07:15 AM
Ideally you want a square set up but on the street you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Ideally you want a square set up but on the street you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

The foot print counts too right, because the IRS will spread the rear out by what and extra 1.5" over the front? Even if I put 275's on all corners, I still have a "staggered setup"?

Edit: I really need to change that oil pan, leaks so much oil. I can't go to any event until that's resolved.

trickflow-jay
07-13-2018, 08:20 AM
335 on a fox? u running tailpipes? wont it rub?

my 285 are really close now

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 08:23 AM
335 on fox ?? wont it rub?

my 285 are really close now

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/455a33a8-01d5-49a7-8e78-107a3fe459e3/svn/milwaukee-reciprocating-saws-6538-21-64_1000.jpg

+

http://www.zgfenderflares.com/PNG.jpeg

=

http://www.modbargains.com/zoom_img/_1413822004.jpg

But that won't fit up front, I think I'd be limited to 285 or 315 or something...

trickflow-jay
07-13-2018, 08:25 AM
on the front i run 255/35/18 and it just brushes the brake lines with 95 spindles

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 08:54 AM
yeah I had to relocate the brake lines for the coilover swap... It is pretty close to my wheels now I think :/ I may only have 1/4 to 1/2" space between the flex line and the wheel... I wonder how I can fix that?

ZR
07-13-2018, 09:04 AM
SLA front end and huge wheels n tires are a slam dunk a roo.

fast Ed
07-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Staggered wheel setup on a car not designed for it, makes for bad driveability? I was planning on 335's in back and 275's up front. I'm told I should have 275's on all 4 wheels "square setup". This weekend I will put some 275's up front to see how much I can fit but I believe I could do 315's? or at least 285's on all 4 corners on this thing.

So with that said... wider rear than front can cause more oversteer? But if I increase the spring rate up front or a larger front sway bar, it should compensate?

No, larger rear tires can cause more understeer. A Fox Mustang is a nose-heavy turd, so if anything you would want larger rubber on the front if it didn't look goofy. Larger tires potentially add more grip, so putting larger rears adds cornering power to the rear, where you're typically not looking for it on a Fox. If you're never going to do track days with the car, don't worry about it. If you are, you'll have to make a decision on looks vs. performance for the wheel & tire combo, or have a dedicated set of mounted track rubber with a square setup.

cheers
Ed

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Would be cheaper to jump ship and go with a GM product for SLA lol

I guess the best thing to do is square it up and forget 335's in back unless I can make it work in front which won't work unless I get some serious spacers lol... Maybe put the goal of fitting min 275's on 4 corners. Fuck may prevent me from cutting up the fenders lol

RedSN
07-13-2018, 09:48 AM
275 is still a lot of tire to avoid rubbing.

....at least for me it is. I use ALL the suspension on the lean machine

https://photos.smugmug.com/94-Mustang/i-cv8tbdN/0/b401eee1/S/NT-05_zpszdqz7ffz-S.jpg

newbiestangowner
07-13-2018, 10:19 AM
I don’t know. ... go with the set up that gives u minimal head ache. Less time/ money on the lift and more time attacking road course or auto cross events at different locations. Have a square for “ ideal/ better” for track if u want.
If u are doing it with a race team for prize money or as a profession ; I get it- but for the “ weekend” type warrior I wouldn’t fuss too much about it.
Lol - u can’t pass anyway on certain sections on most courses anyway and usually there is someone slow in front of u ( that slow person is usually me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 10:27 AM
275 is still a lot of tire to avoid rubbing.

....at least for me it is. I use ALL the suspension on the lean machine

https://photos.smugmug.com/94-Mustang/i-cv8tbdN/0/b401eee1/S/NT-05_zpszdqz7ffz-S.jpg

This is the best SN95 out there imo...

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know. ... go with the set up that gives u minimal head ache. Less time/ money on the lift and more time attacking road course or auto cross events at different locations. Have a square for “ ideal/ better” for track if u want.
If u are doing it with a race team for prize money or as a profession ; I get it- but for the “ weekend” type warrior I wouldn’t fuss too much about it.
Lol - u can’t pass anyway on certain sections on most courses anyway and usually there is someone slow in front of u ( that slow person is usually me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hahaha no way, I'm going to be the slowest. Going to start with some courses/training then jump into the beginner events where you are not allowed to pass (I think?).

fast Ed
07-13-2018, 10:39 AM
On a Fox you can do 255s on 9s at all 4 corners without much hassle, and as long as you don't have hundreds of pounds of crap added to the car that will be plenty of rubber. I used to do just fine at Mosport in a Fox with 245/50R16 all around on the rubber that was available 25 years ago ... new stuff is much grippier now!

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm a poser and want to stuff as wide as I can too. Going for a certain look as well but dont want to build junk in the process. I have a lot of learnin' to do though.

fast Ed
07-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Well, at least you freely admit it! LOL

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 11:01 AM
Got nothing to hide at my age... LOL

stangstevers
07-13-2018, 11:59 AM
yup... also battery in trunk, aluminum heads, tubular K-member/arms... Would get a lighter hood but I like the fitment of my metal cowl hood.

hsousa88
07-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Fender flares on a fox = horny

I’ll do the same if I ever decide to paint my car

Ghost Rider
07-13-2018, 09:57 PM
No, larger rear tires can cause more understeer. A Fox Mustang is a nose-heavy turd, so if anything you would want larger rubber on the front if it didn't look goofy. Larger tires potentially add more grip, so putting larger rears adds cornering power to the rear, where you're typically not looking for it on a Fox. If you're never going to do track days with the car, don't worry about it. If you are, you'll have to make a decision on looks vs. performance for the wheel & tire combo, or have a dedicated set of mounted track rubber with a square setup.

cheers
Ed

^^^This...if it's for the street...do whatever makes you happy! Track, you want atleast square setup all around...sure it doesn't look as good, but now you are into function over form...simple solution, have a setup for the track and setup for the street if money allows...

RAT ATK
07-14-2018, 08:48 AM
I went from 275/295 staggered combo on 18” wheels on my jellybean for both track and street. 275’s rubbed right through the fender liners. I know that I am not the only one to experience this.
Best thing you could do is have a dedicated square setup for the track. I am now running 255’s on 17” wheels at all four corners for the track. No rubbing and the car works better than ever.

stangstevers
07-14-2018, 09:37 AM
So this won't work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D2dJlAoAj0) <- I dig it though. lol

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, I did some more reading since I got pretty toasted last night and couldn't sleep so I just read some racing blogs lol... So the plan now is to change the wheels (again), the current 18's will look killer on the 80 Cobra anyway. So I will get wheels with different offsets to match the front/rear mess I will have with IRS. Probably 8.5" or 9" with probably 275's on all corners (or whatever I can fit, could be smaller too but confident I can do well with on-fender flares, the goal is still to be in the 300's or as close as possible - that's the poser coming through, if I'm going to cut this car up, it better be for something ubber cool).

I'm going to make a redneck version of something like this to get this setup close to perfect: http://candctek.com/wheel-tek-tool/

Now I'm going to put the battery in the trunk with cut off switch and whatnot... hopefully performance improvements has this in stock.

RedSN
07-14-2018, 02:20 PM
Stop guessing and just go ask this guy what he did. Car is badass, and boogies around the track.

http://liquidthunderproductions.com/photo_galleries/mustangs_mosport_2018/images/IMG_2155_CC_1300.jpg

98 Snake
07-14-2018, 03:04 PM
i run a staggered 265/285 setup on my sn95 and the car corners pretty good :shrug: lol but yes a square setup is the way to go for balance

stangstevers
07-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Stop guessing and just go ask this guy what he did. Car is badass, and boogies around the track.

http://liquidthunderproductions.com/photo_galleries/mustangs_mosport_2018/images/IMG_2155_CC_1300.jpg

This the one with Cobra IRS?

fast Ed
07-15-2018, 12:49 AM
Yes it is. I rode in that one for a session to give a few tips, that car works very well. Also helps that he has a bunch of weight off the nose compared to an iron SBF.

cheers
Ed

stangstevers
07-15-2018, 07:02 AM
That car is setup perfectly from what I hear. Something to aspire to.

So I'm finishing up the battery relocation, put my seats for sale for lighter "race" versions, building a new SBF with aluminum heads, may get a lift off cowl hood (for free). Also thinking tubular rad support?... It should be considerably lighter than stock on the nose. I wish I could get the scale equipment to test things but I can't justify the cost, a blog doesn't bring in much money lol

RAT ATK
07-15-2018, 09:01 AM
That blue LS/IRS fox is so cool!

stangstevers
07-16-2018, 06:54 AM
Is it an aluminum block LS? If so... it must have 50/50 weight distribution...

fast Ed
07-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Not sure if he has scaled the car, would certainly be worth doing to set up corner weights. I'd imagine that it's in the lower 50s on the front anyway. A stock 5.0 was around 57 or 58% on the front from what I remember.