PDA

View Full Version : Wow... a switched just happened in my brain after my father's death

stangstevers
08-02-2018, 06:55 AM
I'm doing my best to hold my own feelings aside until my mother is settled and all that but this morning on the 401, I felt like I had bad gas stuck in my chest and a little of the "feeling shit" came out. I was thinking about him and his absolutely mint 85 linc. Which he cherished but was scared to drive it to get it scratched or something. For what? Now that he's gone, there's a mint car that no one really likes today that's about as worthless as if it was 500,000km and full of rust and bad paint. He missed out on fun to keep a stupid car clean.

Well, now I kind of have my mind set on buying a 2015+ GT Mustang and just drive it until there's nothing left. Summer, winter, park it next to the carts at walmart, just don't give a flying fuck about it. Same with the notch, I will beat the shit out of it and if I get bored, gone. Life is short to care about a stupid piece of metal and plastic.

This is a change that's happening in me, there are more important things in life than leaving behind a mint fucking Mustang behind - it's not like I will ever get my hands on a $250,000 mint 60's GT500 or something anyway. It's better to leave behind a Mustang that's worthless but your family having memories of doing donuts in parking lots and long ass weekend drives up north. So yeah, my daughter can eat ice cream and spill it all over the back seat, we can park it at walmart, just live the life we have and not worry about small material stuff (within balance, I want to leave some money behind, but certainly not a mint 2015 Mustang lol).

Sorry for the rant, but this is a very different thinking for me. My OCD will take a backseat.

Screw
08-02-2018, 07:15 AM
So true , life events can/will change our outlook, not to stress about the little things .

stangstevers
08-02-2018, 07:19 AM
That's it, I am way too anal retentive and one of those idiots who won't let his kid eat in his car because of crumbs... and in a Ford fucking Edge that's paid for. Not anymore, crumbs can be cleaned up. A bad relationship with a child can't. I got lots of learning to do and I need to start now before it's too late.

Scrape
08-02-2018, 07:21 AM
I can't agree with you more. I just can't care anymore about crap. I just do whatever now.

ZR
08-02-2018, 07:25 AM
Just ask me about the never ending conversations I get into about my Cobra that see's plenty of track days, spends most of it's summer outside and (except for last summer or two) usually see's a good bunch of street miles. I use and have mod'd it in a manner that puts a smile on my face, if that doesn't suit anyone else............. I'm ok with that.

FABMAN
08-02-2018, 07:47 AM
Steve losing a parent is one of the most stressful things that can happen to most people. Your change of heart makes perfect sense.

Having gone through this myself, my only suggestion is to do whatever it is that helps you manage stress but don’t rush out and make any major purchases until you have time to process everything that has happened.

I agree using up material things is really not a big deal especially if creates better memories with those that you love.

stangstevers
08-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Steve losing a parent is one of the most stressful things that can happen to most people. Your change of heart makes perfect sense.

Having gone through this myself, my only suggestion is to do whatever it is that helps you manage stress but don’t rush out and make any major purchases until you have time to process everything that has happened.

I agree using up material things is really not a big deal especially if creates better memories with those that you love.

Thanks that's solid advice. The truth is we've been eyeing the new Mustangs since last year, I hated the look at first but now, from some angles it looks like a German sports car to me. Wife said, let's rid of the Fusion next year and get a 2 year old Mustang GT. I was the one that was hesitating the most and responded with "let's see". With gas prices and driving a sports car isn't "smart" as a daily driver but we're in a situation where it can make sense. We'd keep the AWD Edge for sure but to I don't drive to work when there's a snow storm anyway! Wife drives like 12km a day and car would be parked at the GO station where it's relatively safe. And that's what insurance is for anyway if something happens, they are safe cars to drive.

Minaccia
08-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Never did understand why people keep the kilometers down on their Foxes or Cobra for the next owner it's like they're buying the car and already thinking about selling it and what they can get for it instead of enjoying it. Lot's of you guys in here are like that just keeping those beautiful Mustangs locked in the garage for the occasional drive, what a shame really.

Stay strong Steve I'm sure you're going through a very tough time right now.

stangstevers
08-02-2018, 09:00 AM
Well... part of the fun is to own a car too. I do like to sit and look at my car and mess around with it in the garage and drink a few beers. But who am I kidding my notch is not a low mile mint survivor that will be worth a lot of money. Enjoy it or get rid of it for someone who will. <- I'm not planning on getting rid of it though.

RedSN
08-02-2018, 09:40 AM
I wish you the best of luck kicking the OCD cold turkey like that, it’s going to be hard to resist.
It is a lot more fun (IMO) to drive these cars rather than obsess over the minute details.

92redragtop
08-02-2018, 10:20 AM
I agree with you - my 92 fox vert has about 270,000km on the body (had 26,000km when I bought it). Had lots of great memories in it and hope to create more in the years to come since I cannot take it with me when it's my time to go....only the smile on my face.

stangstevers
08-02-2018, 10:59 AM
I wish you the best of luck kicking the OCD cold turkey like that, it’s going to be hard to resist.
It is a lot more fun (IMO) to drive these cars rather than obsess over the minute details.

I've been doing good with the Edge. I park it anywhere I want AND the interior is even dusty. LOL

fast Ed
08-02-2018, 11:19 AM
I'd say somewhere in between OCD and not giving a crap about it is where you'll find happiness. I don't see much point in saving a car for the next owner, unless you're only worried about financial gain when you sell. My buddy Stu bought a used 08 Bullitt that had about 50,000 km on it ... 3 years later it has about 120,000, he still loves driving the hell out of that car. The 84 SVO I bought last summer with 70,000 km now has about 74,000 and has seen 3 track days, I'm enjoying driving it around.

Bottom line, cars have 4 wheels and an engine for a reason ... so you can drive them and not just park it.

cheers
Ed

hsousa88
08-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Drive that notch dude.. and park a coyote beside it.

Ever since I upgraded brakes and tires on my car I’ve been driving it all the time.. which is another reason why I don’t want to paint it.. cause if I do I’ll end up being way to anal about it.

Not4you
08-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Very different circumstances but I had a similar realization a few years ago. Sure I miss having a cool fun car, but I am making up for it in other ways. I may be back one day with something in the garage, but there is more to life than cars. Just took me a long time and a lot of money to realise it.

Quicksilver
08-02-2018, 03:06 PM
I put 96000 km on my 04 Cobra. Took a shit kicking when I sold it after 5 years, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.
My current '17 Mustang was purchased in December '17 with 6000 km. IT now has 31000 km.

Hutch
08-02-2018, 04:36 PM
This is why I sold my Saleen and bought my Shelby. I have already driven my Shelby more in a month than I drove my saleen in the last 4 years I owned it. My kids also love it and love going for rides in it. That’s why I bought it. To drive it and enjoy it with them.

fast Ed
08-02-2018, 04:39 PM
I would have driven that Saleen if you had sold it to me!! LOL

ZR
08-02-2018, 08:57 PM
He means snowmobiles.

Not4you
08-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Like whisky and women?

Something like that!

It is actually my kids sports. My daughter is playing double-A Rep hockey. It is nearly a year-round thing with summer training and stuff and 5-6 days a week in the winter. Totally kills the car budget, but I really love watching her play and supporting it for her. And my son is playing baseball 2-3 days a week in the summer. No time or money for the car hobby but I'm loving this time with them so much that I don't really miss it.

Not4you
08-02-2018, 09:29 PM
He means snowmobiles.

Damn that looks like a blast!

55 HD
08-02-2018, 09:41 PM
The Cobra (replica) just rolled over 10,000 MILES this week. Think it's been 5 years OR summers since we restored it from the ashes. We drive it where ever, when ever, and last year was the first time it took to gravel roads up north. The car brings more smiles to the face when driving it rather than parking it.

Good on all who drive their cars as that is what they were designed for. AND KUDDO'S TO THOSE WHO HAVE SAVED THEM FOR OTHER TO DRIVE.

Ontariomystic
08-03-2018, 06:43 AM
The "its just a car...who cares" mind set leads to today's mentality of people wrecking everyones rides whenever the opportunity arises.

stangstevers
08-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Even if there’s a rusted up 91 celebrity parked next to me I will be careful not to ding the doors lol

I think people today don’t respect each other and live in their own bubbles... that’s why they don’t care about others property

RedSN
08-03-2018, 09:37 AM
No time or money for beer and chicken wings...
Fixed

stangstevers
08-03-2018, 11:00 AM
If you don’t respect you own property you won’t respect others property.

I don't know man... maybe for the general public but personally I don't care about my Edge at all, it's an appliance to me and I am very careful around other people's cars, no matter what it is.

charlie9294
08-03-2018, 12:45 PM
personally, if i had the scratch to get into an s550 right now, theres no better bang for buck than a base gt with performance pack 2. id be at the track every weekend having a blast and cruising every night

Hutch
08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
The "its just a car...who cares" mind set leads to today's mentality of people wrecking everyones rides whenever the opportunity arises.

I disagree. Don’t get me wrong about my Shelby. I really like the car and work hard at keeping it clean. But at the end of the day it is just a car. And yes I don’t care about taking my kids to baseball in it and getting it dirty. I enjoy it. Then I clean it. My regret is that I didn’t sell off my saleen and parts collection earlier to buy the Shelby. I was paranoid about it. The new car, not a bit.

hsousa88
08-03-2018, 10:51 PM
It is definitely just a car. I had the same mentality with my fox.. but when you see loved ones go through health issues etc.. it’s a eye opener.

Drive them, do your best to take care of them.. but most importantly have fun.

Edit: can’t wait till I can scoop up a coyote gt for 20k

Minaccia
08-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Two years ago I paid 18k for my 2011 GT and it had 80k kilometers and I've seen others priced around the same.

It is definitely just a car. I had the same mentality with my fox.. but when you see loved ones go through health issues etc.. it’s a eye opener.

Drive them, do your best to take care of them.. but most importantly have fun.

Edit: can’t wait till I can scoop up a coyote gt for 20k

stangstevers
08-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Is yours auto? I think mine was 21 or 23k when I got it.

RedSN
08-04-2018, 09:32 AM
If you don’t have the “it’s just a car” mentality, you will never be able to enjoy the car at the track.

Minaccia
08-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Yes my car is an Auto and I bought it specially to take it to the drag strip where the Auto Coyotes like to live, I hear lot's of guys say how they need a stick car cuz it's more fun but they have never sat behind the wheel of an Auto Coyote specially one with power.

People need to get the Fox mentality out of their head cuz you can't compare the Fox to a Coyote Mustang, one car is what the other wanted to be. The 6R80 and now the 10R80 are nothing like Ford's old automatic transmission and in a few years people with stick cars will be far and few. A 10 speed auto can shift gears faster and keeps the revs up just like you do with a manual trans.

Is yours auto? I think mine was 21 or 23k when I got it.

Ontariomystic
08-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Yes my car is an Auto and I bought it specially to take it to the drag strip where the Auto Coyotes like to live, I hear lot's of guys say how they need a stick car cuz it's more fun but they have never sat behind the wheel of an Auto Coyote specially one with power.

People need to get the Fox mentality out of their head cuz you can't compare the Fox to a Coyote Mustang, one car is what the other wanted to be. The 6R80 and now the 10R80 are nothing like Ford's old automatic transmission and in a few years people with stick cars will be far and few. A 10 speed auto can shift gears faster and keeps the revs up just like you do with a manual trans.

In 10 years when manual cars are extinct, I predict the resale will skyrocket on them. People will remember the old days when shifting gears was fun.

Mustang4
08-04-2018, 10:47 PM
Something like that!

It is actually my kids sports. My daughter is playing double-A Rep hockey. It is nearly a year-round thing with summer training and stuff and 5-6 days a week in the winter. Totally kills the car budget, but I really love watching her play and supporting it for her. And my son is playing baseball 2-3 days a week in the summer. No time or money for the car hobby but I'm loving this time with them so much that I don't really miss it.

I did this for a quite a few years and loved every minute of it without a Mustang. I was also the manager on many of my kids rep teams. When they finally stopped playing competitively and went to university, I had withdrawal from not watching them play. Then I went back to the Mustang hobby.

stangstevers
08-05-2018, 07:56 AM
I have to say, my wife is now 100% on board with the stupid Mustang hobby (I still feel guilty that I'm wasting so much money again lol) with the new car. She is more anxious than I am to get it delivered. She loves the feeling and the sound of the new Mustang since it's technically louder and more "performance car sounding" (as my wife put it) than my fox.

Things are more enjoyable when shared with loved ones. I was in a dark pit, working alone in the garage, driving alone in the fox. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy my early morning driving session alone sometimes but not all the time. I'm glad I didn't go overboard with the notch and cut up the fenders. :/ I got a rant formulating in me brain on that switch.

Now the fun part of ignoring the "will you take $5,000 for your fox and trade for a moldy bag of bread deals" emails. lol

I can't wait to make the 401 sound better in the mornings too, I just hope I don't get thrown in jail in the first commute in the new 'stang hahaha.

Mustang4
08-06-2018, 10:19 AM
So what car did you finally settle on and when do you get it?

Hutch
08-06-2018, 10:43 AM
I have to say, my wife is now 100% on board with the stupid Mustang hobby (I still feel guilty that I'm wasting so much money again lol) with the new car. She is more anxious than I am to get it delivered. She loves the feeling and the sound of the new Mustang since it's technically louder and more "performance car sounding" (as my wife put it) than my fox.

Things are more enjoyable when shared with loved ones. I was in a dark pit, working alone in the garage, driving alone in the fox. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy my early morning driving session alone sometimes but not all the time. I'm glad I didn't go overboard with the notch and cut up the fenders. :/ I got a rant formulating in me brain on that switch.

Now the fun part of ignoring the "will you take $5,000 for your fox and trade for a moldy bag of bread deals" emails. lol

I can't wait to make the 401 sound better in the mornings too, I just hope I don't get thrown in jail in the first commute in the new 'stang hahaha.

Good for you buddy. I don’t think you’ll regret it.

billcaitken
08-06-2018, 11:56 AM
I would have driven that Saleen if you had sold it to me!! LOL

x2

billcaitken
08-06-2018, 11:58 AM
I think I know what it is you are getting.....lol

Harbinger
08-06-2018, 09:15 PM
TOUCHE! Enjoy the snot out of the car you have, rain or shine!