PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Provincial Police will conduct a long-weekend blitz

ZR
08-02-2018, 08:19 AM
Ontario Provincial Police will conduct a long-weekend blitz to crack down on drivers who fail to slow down and move over when they pass emergency vehicles that are stopped on the highway.
The blitz begins on Friday and will run through the civic holiday on Monday.
According to the OPP, there have been a total of 932 charges filed against drivers who failed to move over so far this year.

<iframe name="fsk_frame_splitbox" id="fsk_frame_splitbox" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; outline: 0px; line-height: 1.6; vertical-align: baseline; width: 603px; height: 0px;"></iframe>

OPP say that while that number does “set the stage “for a lower total of charges than have been recorded in recent years, it still suggests that “far too many drivers continue to ignore (the law) at the expense of first responder safety.”
“If you talk to any officer out on the road they are going to tell you that it happens every single time that they do a traffic stop,” OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt told CP24 on Thursday morning. “Any time you talk to a tow truck driver, a paramedic, a firemen, they are always watching traffic and watching their back because vehicles far too often are zooming by them at a high rate of speed with no regard for the safety of the first responders on the side of the road.”
There were a total of 2,137 charges issued to drivers that failed to move over for emergency vehicles in 2017 and 2,468 charges in 2016.
Schmidt said that the law requires that drivers slow down and move over whenever they observe a emergency vehicle or tow truck stopped on the highway with their lights activated. He said that the penalty for not doing so is a $490 fine and six demerit points.
“We are trying to raise awareness and make sure people understand the rules of the road. A stop sign means you stop but when you see a emergency vehicle with their red or blue lights flashing the law requires you to slow down and if you are in a multi-lane highway to move into an adjacent lane,” he said.
Schmidt said that there were six incidents last year involving drivers that struck OPP vehicles that were stopped on the side of the road with their lights activated.

ZR
08-02-2018, 08:20 AM
Seldom do you come up on / slow down for an emergency vehicle and not have cars pass like your standing still.

stangstevers
08-02-2018, 11:08 AM
People are so conceited that they will purposely risk someone's life for not even slowing down for a few seconds and moving over... it's to the point where we are being absurd on how we treat each other.

hammerhead
08-02-2018, 10:33 PM
I've seen the OPP create set-ups using two cruisers...respond if you want to this comment - but sometimes cops risk their own lives pulling over people in the worst conditions...

Ponyryd
08-02-2018, 11:48 PM
^I’m sure they’d rather not pull someone over in adverse conditions, but sadly it’s a part of their job and I always give them room when it’s possible. Personally I think the fine is fairly high, but given the potential risk to first responders maybe it’s needed so the public will take it seriously.

hammerhead
08-03-2018, 12:12 AM
^I’m sure they’d rather not pull someone over in adverse conditions, but sadly it’s a part of their job and I always give them room when it’s possible. Personally I think the fine is fairly high, but given the potential risk to first responders maybe it’s needed so the public will take it seriously.

me too - but common sense prevails cant put a $ value on life....

stangstevers
08-03-2018, 06:16 AM
I almost got rear-ended once... tow truck on the side of the 401... I put my emergency flashers on and slowed down to 70kmh... I couldn't move over because of 53 foot truck beside me. I had my F150 at the time too so it's not like you can't really see me or the flashing lights on the side of the road.

I wish driving was taken more seriously and really enforced as a privileged that it is rather than a "right" people think it is.

If I was PM, bet your ass half the people on the roads would be downloading the Uber app. lol

bluetoy
08-03-2018, 07:01 AM
I almost got rear-ended once... tow truck on the side of the 401... I put my emergency flashers on and slowed down to 70kmh... I couldn't move over because of 53 foot truck beside me. I had my F150 at the time too so it's not like you can't really see me or the flashing lights on the side of the road.

I wish driving was taken more seriously and really enforced as a privileged that it is rather than a "right" people think it is.

If I was PM, bet your ass half the people on the roads would be downloading the Uber app. lol

Turning on your four way flashers in many vehicles turns off your brake lights. Don't do it.

Mellow Yellow
08-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Turning on your four way flashers in many vehicles turns off your brake lights. Don't do it.

Then you have the left foot braker, on 401 no less. Their brakes lights are on 100% of the time....is he stopping or what?

stangstevers
08-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Seen that a few times. But what irks me is no lights, especially at 5am where it's still dark. I wonder who had the bright idea of not routing dash lights with the headlights. Even on cars that came standard with automatic lights, still off lol

RedSN
08-03-2018, 09:02 AM

Don’t do what? Use your hazard lights? Or your brakes?

bluetoy
08-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Don’t do what? Use your hazard lights? Or your brakes?

lol. Brakes are for quitters. Seriously though don't drive with your 4ways on because when you hit the brakes there are no brake lights on many many cars.

stangstevers
08-03-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm going to run outside and see what happens but I'm sure my third brake light goes on. Thanks for the heads up though. The More You Know (TM).

I'm going to stick to using it to thank truckers for letting me in and if I'm on the side of the road.

bluetoy
08-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Yes 3rd brake light still works. That's it though.

RedSN
08-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Right, but I kinda feel hazards trump brake lights. So should not matter.

I suspect it’s only American cars without amber lights. Most imports have separate indicator and brake lights.

stangstevers
08-03-2018, 03:13 PM

I suspect it’s only American cars without amber lights. Most imports have separate indicator and brake lights.

Foxbody has amber lights so it would work? lol

Ponyryd
08-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Seen that a few times. But what irks me is no lights, especially at 5am where it's still dark. I wonder who had the bright idea of not routing dash lights with the headlights. Even on cars that came standard with automatic lights, still off lol

It’s because nothing uses actual gauges anymore, everything is a screen. Sadly people are too stupid to realize their light are off, even though cars are flashing their brights at them they still leave them off.

5.4MarkVIII
08-03-2018, 09:40 PM

there are some cars that the hazards override the turn signals as well. and some that the signals override the head lights, so basically when driving with your hazards on no one around you has any clue as to what you are doing, and in foggy and bad weather conditions the red of the breaks and the intensity of the headlights travel further than the flashing hazards,