PDA

View Full Version : Tesla vs GT news lol

stangstevers
08-21-2018, 06:52 AM
So this is all over the media, especially media where there's a lot of snowflake readership. I think this comparison is stupid as shit. First, I get Tesla and what Musk is doing, I like the supercar speed packed into an electric that looks like an early 2000's Toyota or whatever (very understated and ugly enough to look cool) style they have.

So the recent article I think the Tesla posted mid 11's (I think it's the gutted one that's on youtube) while racing a new Mustang with performance pack, which hit mid 12's (probably a 6 speed lol). Do these morons fail to understand the Tesla is a f-ing $140,000 to $200,000 (CAD) supercar? AND didn't someone actually hit 11 seconds in a bone stock 2018 GT with 10-speed in Florida recently?

HOWEVER I get that at some point the technology will be cheaper to make and all that thanks to cars like the Tesla that pushes boundaries (still argue that producing electric cars is pretty costly in the pollution department).

I hope Ford produces a Tesla killer all-electric drivetrain option for the Mustang at some point, and yes, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I do appreciate electric motors and what they can do. I just hate how people compare oranges to apples and think Musk is the second coming of Jesus. Don't get me wrong - I do want an electric as a daily at some point but my wife said the only electric I should own is a Tesla Model S, she knows I'd get bored to death in a Prius or something. I just can't realistically justify it yet.

le rant est fini... tabarnak

StAnger
08-21-2018, 07:18 AM
I personally hope Ford kills the Mustang before it becomes a faggy electric vehicle.

stangstevers
08-21-2018, 07:19 AM
LMAO...

I'm sure Ford wouldn't want to offend their market with an electric but I'd support it if it could get 300km to a charge and run mid 10's out of the show room floor.

Ponyryd
08-21-2018, 08:47 AM
11s in a Tesla is impressive, but it’s a horribly boring way to be quick. And am I really supposed to be impressed that a $400k++ GT runs 11s??? That seems slow considering the price, and the hype

FABMAN
08-21-2018, 08:50 AM
I hope they use a hybrid set up to get more power out of the whole and then switch to coyote power once rolling. That combo = 9-10 sec 1/4 mile and sub 3 sec 0-60 MPH while getting good mileage too. Now that would be a good use of technology. LOL

Scrape
08-21-2018, 08:58 AM
The inevitable will happen. The Ford Mustang will most likely become a hybrid of sorts in the future. Maybe AWD? Who knows. It might be beyond our time.

stangstevers
08-21-2018, 08:59 AM
11s in a Tesla is impressive, but it’s a horribly boring way to be quick. And am I really supposed to be impressed that a $400k++ GT runs 11s??? That seems slow considering the price, and the hype

I meant Mustang GT... Ford should have made an ecoboost 5.2 lol

Slick_89_Hatch
08-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Ford GT isn't built for that and has proven itself where it's most happy, on the race track.

RedSN
08-21-2018, 09:10 AM
The inevitable will happen. The Ford Mustang will most likely become a hybrid of sorts in the future. Maybe AWD? Who knows. It might be beyond our time.

...The way things are going, in 20 years gasoline powered cars may even be outlawed as far as I can tell...

I'm still holding out for the flying car that shoots sonic rings from the tailpipe.
https://media.giphy.com/media/7U1nRIdpAjYu4/giphy.gif

stangstevers
08-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Once AI is good enough to fly for us, it could happen... Otherwise imagine Markham people flying lol

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
08-21-2018, 10:15 AM
There is supposed to be a mild hybrid version of Mustang and F-150 coming in the next few years, but no real details yet from Ford.

stangstevers
08-21-2018, 10:43 AM
I wonder if it's still just a rumor at this point... Ecoboost / Electric drive... 400hp equivalent.

Where's my ecoboost Coyote with 800HP? though.

hammerhead
08-21-2018, 02:10 PM
It has taken over 100 years of development to get the internal combustion engine to be the excellent performer it is today - to think full electric will dominate soon is crazy! I can see hybrids being around for a while but to me most make no sense. Even if there are charging stations - will people wait around for a 1/2 hour or more to charge their car in order to get to the next charging station, I highly doubt it. The only way full electric can work is if there's a big grove in the road flanked by two electric contacts just like my old AFX race set. LOL - People will soon have to get use to calling the internal combustion engines what they are "engines" not motors, it's all going to get real confusing....lol especially hybrid - "do you mean your engine or your motor" says the mechanic?

RedSN
08-21-2018, 02:20 PM
Not sure how the slot car idea would work in Canada.
I always thought quick change battery packs would be the solution. Pull up to a station, drop the floor pan mounted battery pack, strap on a fresh one and drive off. Faster than filling a car with gas.
Much like changing the battery on a power tool.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a4820/4336350/
*disclaimer: they went bankrupt

Ponyryd
08-21-2018, 02:50 PM
I meant Mustang GT... Ford should have made an ecoboost 5.2 lol

That makes sense, and in that case 11s are impressive!

hammerhead
08-21-2018, 03:33 PM
I always thought quick change battery packs would be the solution. Pull up to a station, drop the floor pan mounted battery pack, strap on a fresh one and drive off. Faster than filling a car with gas.

I dont think the manufactures can get along to make something like that easy... lol they also have trouble getting one battery to produce one vehicle. I often thought of something like that could work in housing (if it was off the grid) - have our hydro delivered by truck like fuel oil but in the form of battery packs - not too long ago I was still on fuel oil to heat my house - unlike hydro i was only charge by the litre no extra's - i guess in the private world maintaining your mode of delivery is the cost of doing busy and good management allowed you to stay in business...lol

hammerhead
08-21-2018, 03:36 PM

yes bankrupt would be inevitable because I think out all the vehicles on the road only 1 percent are alternative fuel...

stangstevers
08-21-2018, 03:57 PM
I think you could top up the battery perhaps with a magnetic field off the highway? But then expect to get more cancer once all that electromagnetic stuff messes with your DNA.

Frankie
08-28-2018, 12:49 PM
You're thinking of these guys:

https://www.nanoflowcell.com/

Electrolytes are stored like gasoline and combined in the cell to make power.
1000km per fill up on their car and uses existing infrastructure.

hammerhead
08-28-2018, 01:24 PM
You're thinking of these guys:

https://www.nanoflowcell.com/

would I ever love to smash that meter off the side of my house...!

RedSN
08-28-2018, 01:48 PM

At the current development status, we are achieving an energy density of 600 Wh per litre with bi-ION. Compared with lithium-ion batteries of the kind used in most electric vehicles, a nanoFlowcell® running on bi-ION delivers sufficient energy for five times the range of a conventional electric vehicle.
Never heard of this before. Sounds too good to be true. Why is this not mainstream?

So in a typical 60L tank, that would be 60L x 600 Wh = 36 kWh
For comparison: a Tesla has a 60 kWh battery pack.

stangstevers
08-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Hear of Li-air not Bi-ion yet...

There's a dude working on a much better than lithium-ion battery but without explosive electrolytes... Forgot the names though.

RedSN
08-28-2018, 03:02 PM
There's a dude working on a much better than lithium-ion battery....
this guy?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/bttf/images/8/8a/Docwithpowercords.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20090118231855
plutonium? no thanks

stangstevers
08-28-2018, 07:23 PM
I don’t get how they can go to Pluto to get plutonium but can’t get to mars

stangstevers
08-29-2018, 08:41 AM
But seriously though, the planet is changing. Man-made or not, the change is here and we should all agree that burning fuel is bad, even if looking at it from a local perspective.

Lithium-ion is probably not the answer. I don't think any of us are willing to make the changes necessary to save the climate as it stands today. That means 3rd world countries need to stop making babies and western civilization needs to give up eating inefficient protein like cow-meat, buying shit for fun (ie latest iphones while current one still works, Mustangs, etc...) basically giving up materialism and perhaps capitalism.

Replacing cars with electrics at this point is a liberal "feel good - do nothing" task. I've always said that almost half (at least 30% as a guess) the cars on the 401 are individuals driving to a stupid office building in TO. Even my work has old people running the place that feel people need to sit in cubicles after commuting to be "productive". That mentality is shared with the next in line to manage the business. Instead we have 2 or 3 hundred people going 40kmh on the 401 for an hour or more, just to then sit in an office which needs to expand to meet the requirement of the ever expanding work force needed to support the business. Even if you remove just 20% of commuters, it will be enough to unclog the highways and reduce emissions by a large amount, I'm sure. Such a stupid and simple solution which costs NOTHING to institute and yet, not many businesses are willing to adapt.

But hey buying "carbon credits" is green enough and solves fuck all.

onDjuice
10-01-2018, 10:08 PM
I need to smoke that stuff you are.. lol

Tailites
10-01-2018, 11:11 PM

+ one...

Mellow Yellow
10-01-2018, 11:50 PM
But seriously though, the planet is changing. Man-made or not, the change is here and we should all agree that burning fuel is bad, even if looking at it from a local perspective.

Lithium-ion is probably not the answer. I don't think any of us are willing to make the changes necessary to save the climate as it stands today. That means 3rd world countries need to stop making babies and western civilization needs to give up eating inefficient protein like cow-meat, buying shit for fun (ie latest iphones while current one still works, Mustangs, etc...) basically giving up materialism and perhaps capitalism.

Replacing cars with electrics at this point is a liberal "feel good - do nothing" task. I've always said that almost half (at least 30% as a guess) the cars on the 401 are individuals driving to a stupid office building in TO. Even my work has old people running the place that feel people need to sit in cubicles after commuting to be "productive". That mentality is shared with the next in line to manage the business. Instead we have 2 or 3 hundred people going 40kmh on the 401 for an hour or more, just to then sit in an office which needs to expand to meet the requirement of the ever expanding work force needed to support the business. Even if you remove just 20% of commuters, it will be enough to unclog the highways and reduce emissions by a large amount, I'm sure. Such a stupid and simple solution which costs NOTHING to institute and yet, not many businesses are willing to adapt.

But hey buying "carbon credits" is green enough and solves fuck all.

The Danish Meteorological Institute (DMI) was established in 1872

This site tracks many weather/climate statistics. The section on the Greenland Ice Sheet shows that in the period 2017-2018 the total gigaton of ice was actually higher than the average from 1981 to 2010. In other words the ice sheet is growing not shrinking like many want us to believe.

Food for thought....not trying to change anyone's mind.

http://www.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maalinger/greenland-ice-sheet-surface-mass-budget/

stangstevers
10-02-2018, 08:27 AM

last batch I got from one of my neighbours... pretty decent.

onDjuice
10-03-2018, 07:46 AM
I'd say think its freeing your mind bro..

stangstevers
10-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Pound for pound electric motors are far better than combustion. Problem, as always, is battery tech... although there's a lot of promising stuff in R&D right now. Most efficient gas engine is probably still around 50% in those tiny little F1 engines... I think typical gasoline cars today are probably still in the 30's to 40% range, not that much improved since their invention.

There's a lot of energy density in gasoline, I think 45 MJ/kg... Where Lithium-Ion is something like 2.x MJ/kg So really, as it stands today, electric cars are merely an experiment. Shifting tailpipe emissions from rich cities to 3rd world countries. And honestly Tesla is a luxury brand experiment, I like them for that reason. It's like buying a nasty ass BMW or Mercedes... it's to have luxury.

Problem with gasoline (and other fuels) is we have at most 40% efficient engines on the streets, and after we bring the power to the wheels, there's another 20% reduction in efficiency... Whereas electric motors are (I think) 80%-90% efficient and there doesn't need to be any loss in energy with transmissions, axles, driveshafts, etc... Hybrids are kind of stupid on paper, because once you ran out of juice, the generator kicks in and it's incredibly "less efficient" because you are lugging around a very heavy car for the power output. They work because for most of the commute, the gas generator doesn't need to kick in (for most people).

I would think that an aluminum / carbon fiber chassis shaped in a very aerodynamic body and a tiny 0.8L turbo/supercharged high revving 3 cylinder engine could get the same or better MPG as a chevy volt.

I think the REAL change should be in still using gasoline but let's bring typical total efficiency from 15%-20% to near 100% using fuel cell technology like solid-oxide... I think if we focused on that (I think the problem is the tech is too big and runs stupid hot like 900 or 1000 degrees). Imagine filling up your 10 second ELECTRIC POWERED MUSTANG at a gas station and doing 1500km per tank!?

To me a gasoline engine is like heating your home with windows and doors wide open. It's stupid (in terms of thermal efficiency). Imagine if 100% of my Coyote power hit the ground instead of 20% overall... Actually that's like having 2100HP LMAO! See when you put in perspective, you can really see how ICE is not the future but neither is Lithium-Ion.

I don't understand why anyone would argue against having near 100% efficient drivetrain...

bluetoy
10-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Anyone else remember when ICE meant in car entertainment or frozen water.