PDA

View Full Version : This Leviton motion sensor switch is driving me nuts

stangstevers
08-26-2018, 04:31 PM
So I have one in a hallway wired to a single LED pot light and it works super well on a basic 2 way switch.

Now I’m installing another in the mud room and holy hell it just doesn’t work. Granted it’s a 3 way but it’s all wired properly. Worked fine on the incondescent light but switched it to LED and the light stays on but dimmed? I checked and the switch provides 40v when “off”. But with a 100w old light bulb it goes to 0v???

So I go and buy another switch but same issue. Then I was going nuts so made the circuit into a basic 2 way just in case and still no go. So I put a normal 3 way switch in place for now but put the motion switch on the work bench and wired it up with a light. When off it needs a draw to be off 100%. Tried different lights and it gives different voltages lol. Grounds are tested and working...

I thought it was some sort of dimmed night light option but no pin or micro switch or mention in the manual. Emailing Leviton to find out what’s up? Says it’s compatible with LED too.

Scrape
08-26-2018, 04:42 PM
It is the LED bulb incompatible with the Leviton switch. I have the same issue at my parent's house. I had 6 halogen bulbs and swapped them all out for LED ones and the switch didn't want to work. Swapped out one of them and the issue went away. The dimmer worked perfectly. When I did pot lights in my kitchen recently I made sure not to pick Leviton and no issues.

Black Sheep
08-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Dimmers with the little green light will not work with led. Have the same issue here

Scrape
08-27-2018, 06:34 AM
The one that I installed at my place was a Lutron Maestro 150 Watt Single Pole 3Way or Multi Location Digital CFL LED Dimmer - White Model # MACL-153MR-WH-C

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.maestro-150-watt-single-pole-3way-or-multi-location-digital-cfl-led-dimmer---white.1000750335.html

ZR
08-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Yup been there n done that.

stangstevers
08-27-2018, 08:17 AM
I want motion because the builder only did a 3 way system with switches at the ext door and door to the hallway, should have been a 4 way with a switch near the garage door. So when we come in at 6pm in the winter, it's dark as fak in the mud room I wanted the lights to turn on automatically... call me a princess if you want LOL

RedSN
08-27-2018, 08:38 AM
switch back to incandescent? :shrug:

In the garage I have a motion switch so when I walk into the garage or the garage door opens the lights come on. It control a set of LED puck lights under the lift. If all I have is the LED plugged into the circuit they will blink when off. If I plug a single incandescent into the circuit, the blinking stops.

LEDs are weird.

stangstevers
08-27-2018, 10:35 AM
household lighting should be 12v today, I don't get the fascination with running stupid 110v 15amp romex to just have dozens of little transformers and rectifying bridges to produce 12-24v DC for lighting and lighting controllers. I tried for my last house the inspector almost slapped me. All I could do was 12v circuit for under cab lighting (transformer was in the basement next to the panel).

Even better, I think I would do all Cat6 and use POE lighting systems... again, probably against residential code. And at the same time a room with a faraday cage when you really want to "unplug" lol