PDA

View Full Version : Teaching piano?

stangstevers
08-27-2018, 06:58 AM
So I got a used keyboard, an okay one. I’m not a keyboard player at all. I know some chords and a few songs. But I’m getting my 5 year old into music. I put a tape on a few octaves and marked the notes (not half tones). And I wrote down the twinkle song with lyrics and notes to play. I figure she can learn the keyboard notes and timing like this. I think I will chat with someone who knows how to play so I can learn what proper positions look like and find some ideas on how to teach a young child.

Anyone here get their kids into music? Hard to find balance between hard work and fun. Music is not easy and requires a lot of hard work and determination to learn.

Laffs
08-27-2018, 08:58 PM
My wife teaches piano out of our home. She's always said the 2 most important things are starting them at the "correct age" and also making sure they are engaged when they practice. Correct age is whenever they have a desire (this is importance) and attention span to pay attention to lessons. Also you need make sure they are regularly practicing. She has gone on and on (and on) about students who have talent but never practice with any regularity and end up either getting worse as time goes on, or end up stagnating and becoming frustrated (or frustrating their parents)

Shes likes to take on students no younger than 7, she's had the best luck with them sticking it out and progressing at a good rate. She tried a couple of younger kids and they really lacked the focus and discipline and ended up developing bad traits as a result.

If you decide you are going to do it on your own I recommend picking up some music books for RCM grade 1 to have them practice. That way if you ever do decide to get them in to professional lessons they can start from there are begin to complete their grades.

IanGTCS
08-27-2018, 09:06 PM
Is the RCM still stuff that doesn't interest kids at all? My wife has mentioned how much she disliked the music when she was learning piano. As an adult she has taken a few lessons and likes it a lot more as she can play whatever she wants.

We have a 2 year old that we are exposing to the enjoyment of playing music - guitar, bass, piano - with the hope that he will have a desire to pick something up in a few years. Neither one of us is good, but we enjoy it.

Laffs
08-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Is the RCM still stuff that doesn't interest kids at all?

Guess it depends. Wife says she found it all unique and interesting, plus instilled the fundamentals she needed to learn. She's like, insanely talented, can hear a song and just start to play it. It may not be modern music but it's designed with a purpose it seems.

stangstevers
08-28-2018, 04:26 AM
I tried guitar but it’s a tad too physical for her, even if I tune in it in A or D so you just need to basically strum... Drums is ok but hard to do anything beyond “we will rock you” lol

Piano is giving some progress. I noticed she corrected herself when a note was off... impressive

Hutch
08-29-2018, 08:43 PM
My youngest son plays piano and my oldest plays guitar (he started with piano). It is lots of work and sometimes fights to get them to practice but my wife and I know it’s worth it. She can play piano. I took it as a kid, then trumpet and then trombone. I enjoyed it when I was younger and was really happy I could play well in high school. Music class brought my average up and was super easy!!
Learning and playing music is proven to be huge in brain development of kids also. I’m not saying my kids are genius’s but it’s a different part of the brain. My youngest is very good at piano. He has the ear for it. That makes it a lot easier for him. Some people can’t hear correct tone very well and that makes it hard to play an instrument well. Piano is a little easier because pressing the key produces the same tone over and over (for the most part). That isn’t the case for guitar or as specially brass instruments (you lips and air produce the tone).
My Dad was also a professional trumpet player. He made a lot of extra money playing in bands and did a few opera gigs. Best part was he loved it. I regret not sticking with it. I love music. Lots of different type as well and so do my kids.

stangstevers
08-30-2018, 09:57 AM
I have strong ear as well, it's almost a fault though. I started guitar when I was around 12 or 14 I think... but never took it seriously. My father tried to teach me violin when I was (I think) 6 or7 years old but I was more interested in guitar. Today I regret not practicing more and wish my parents fought with me on that when I was younger. "wanna learn the guitar, fine but you will learn it"

I will divide the time on the keyboard, play time versus learning time. She knows the twinkle song now by heart but note for note. I'm not entirely sure when to start teaching how to sit and place your hands on the keyboard, I doubt she can even do a simple major chord like "C" which is C-E-G (I think) or just 3 white keys, a step apart... But I did start showing her to play the twinkle song using note for note but (2) at the same time playing it an octave apart.

LOL She then proceeded to "write" a song on a piece of paper like FF EE GG etc... lol So cute.

Hutch
08-30-2018, 10:09 AM
I have strong ear as well, it's almost a fault though. I started guitar when I was around 12 or 14 I think... but never took it seriously. My father tried to teach me violin when I was (I think) 6 or7 years old but I was more interested in guitar. Today I regret not practicing more and wish my parents fought with me on that when I was younger. "wanna learn the guitar, fine but you will learn it"

I will divide the time on the keyboard, play time versus learning time. She knows the twinkle song now by heart but note for note. I'm not entirely sure when to start teaching how to sit and place your hands on the keyboard, I doubt she can even do a simple major chord like "C" which is C-E-G (I think) or just 3 white keys, a step apart... But I did start showing her to play the twinkle song using note for note but (2) at the same time playing it an octave apart.

LOL She then proceeded to "write" a song on a piece of paper like FF EE GG etc... lol So cute.

Awesome! That will teach her what each note should sound like. When you know what the note sounds like it’s much easier to switch to another instrument (like guitar or brass instruments). We bought my oldest son a junior guitar. Much easier for small hands. Long and Maquade is a great place to go if your looking for one.