PDA

View Full Version : Here we go... Take the survey

stangstevers
08-31-2018, 07:22 AM
https://www.ontario.ca/page/consultation-review-ontario-government-spending

I added the "get rid of drive-clean" argument. And an idea around a telecommute policy. Oh and to ditch daylight savings time BS.

Mellow Yellow
08-31-2018, 08:25 AM
I agree with scrapping the Drive Clean, but I think we need to look at a system that removes unsafe vehicle from the roads.

Recently saw a loaded min van "bouncing" down the road because the rear shocks were shot. Accident waiting to happen.

RedSN
08-31-2018, 08:46 AM
^^^what's with minivans and rear shocks!? A day doesn't go by that I don't spot one of these.

stangstevers
08-31-2018, 08:47 AM
it's rather...

shocking

isn't it

:D

Slick_89_Hatch
08-31-2018, 09:37 AM
I just submitted as well. My idea also was to scrap drive clean.

Laffs
08-31-2018, 09:44 AM
it's rather...

shocking

isn't it

:D

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/998WO9j1YTo/maxresdefault.jpg

NickD
08-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Just completed it as well
Scrap drive clean, have vehicle inspections for anything over 10 years old to remove unsafe and poorly running vehicles off the road.

Open up the privatization of our healthcare

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hammerhead
08-31-2018, 12:21 PM
careful what you wish for - if they adopt Japans safety standards kiss all your toys goodbye! best thing to do is don't help the government by participating - my opinion!

stangstevers
08-31-2018, 12:36 PM
Driver's licenses should be more difficult to obtain and government should put in place a "3 strikes you are out" policy... cause 3 crashes (at fault) and you are DONE!!! No more car for you! NEXXXTT!!!

LOL highways will have little traffic and insurance rates would drop! lol

Slick_89_Hatch
08-31-2018, 12:57 PM
careful what you wish for - if they adopt Japans safety standards kiss all your toys goodbye! best thing to do is don't help the government by participating - my opinion!

Agreed, depending on how they set something like that up, anything modified could be taken off the road.

stangstevers
08-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Aren't any mods technically not legal anymore anyway?

hammerhead
08-31-2018, 01:43 PM
It's not so much mods but the frequency of mandatory inspections of structure,safety and emissions - it's no secret everyone hates the emissions test but ours is pretty soft compared to others - the problem with ours is it only effects the poor which is likely why it is free now. Technically depending on how much a vehicle is change it requires a new vin. Clean air is never going away - if they cancel what is in place now something will replace it. There is probably already a replacement plan for the current system, we don't know about - this survey is probably the governments way of seeking approval for the new plan without telling you about the new plan and knowing everyone hates the old system. At first everyone will think they won and then bam out comes the new plan - when everyone complains about the new plan the survey will say it's what the voters wanted....In Japan it's a cash cow for mechanics. It's kind a this way here now in the trucking an bussing industry - yearly, by-yearly and quarterly inspections for trucks and busses over certain weight or commercial vehicle.

Gr8Stang
08-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Will be interesting to see what comes of Ford's foray into the government books and what, if any, ideas coming from the input of this survey get implemented. As others have said....scrap the Drive Clean.

hammerhead
08-31-2018, 09:12 PM
not free, I am paying for it via tax dollars.

I'm in favor of being environmentally responsible, even adding cats to a pre 88 vehicle which is immune from tests.

With that said the current program and any replacement looks like another cash grab. Bureaucrats to collect and administer taxes, pay themselves and then garages accepting the cash for a pointless test. If you fail you get a conditional pass, for more money. cash grab.

Fix it Dougie

Don't even get me started on the recycling programs that are wildly variable between districts. Well intentioned, save the whales. The result; a weekly refresh of so called "recyclables" blowing around the neighborhood after collection day.

lol I know I try to avoid politics makes everyone hostile - I think one of the main reasons Japan costs are so high is to deter people from driving - they have a crazy amount of cars on the road there. They wont say you cant drive they will just make it so expensive you wont drive! Cats started in the 70's I think around '74 you can be fined for not having one and an air pump, even if you don't qualify for etest. About two years ago the safety standards in Ontario for used cars was changed and I'm sure they will change again soon. We also have smog cops that set up roadside inspections they love tuned diesel pickups.

83 5.0
08-31-2018, 09:51 PM
The annual commercial inspections are very subjective. Rust holes in an enclosed trailer wheel well need to be repaired, and a dump box with small holes in the bed again need to be repaired.
I was working this week in Sudbury/Elliot lake, and the number of suspect mechanically/emmisions vehicles I saw were quite staggering. Chrysler mini vans rusted out, blue smoke on take off from a stop light, Hammerhead hit the nail on the head, if inspections were across the province as in the south a lot of people wouldn't have transportation.
Yes be careful what you wish for, even with the PC's at the tiller.
On another note, Alberta is not going to expand their carbon tax grab to satisfy the feds. The government dufus's don't realise, Venezuela will sell oil at a fraction of our price and without all the environmental BS attached, same with the Saudi's, Russians etc.
The feds don't want to admit how much Alberta oil contributes to the Canadian economy.

Ponyryd
09-03-2018, 01:25 AM
not free, I am paying for it via tax dollars.

I'm in favor of being environmentally responsible, even adding cats to a pre 88 vehicle which is immune from tests.

With that said the current program and any replacement looks like another cash grab. Bureaucrats to collect and administer taxes, pay themselves and then garages accepting the cash for a pointless test. If you fail you get a conditional pass, for more money. cash grab.

Fix it Dougie

Don't even get me started on the recycling programs that are wildly variable between districts. Well intentioned, save the whales. The result; a weekly refresh of so called "recyclables" blowing around the neighborhood after collection day.

Not sure if you know how it works, but they don’t just charge you money and give you a conditional pass, you need to spend up to $xxx.xx to improve your emissions, so the money you spend is supposed to be making your car run cleaner, it’s not just going in someone’s pocket.

Also, as stated we need to be very careful what we wish for, the Japan safety thing is ridiculous, and you can buy cars there for stupid cheap because of it. I’m sure it’s a great idea to a certain degree, and I’m all for having safe vehicles on the road, but at what point are we giving up all our freedoms? We all know everyone cannot afford to have a new car, and many cannot afford to have a safe car, so what are they to do? It’s very easy for us to say to get the junk off the road, but most of us here can afford to have a safe car, whearas many others cannot.

stangstevers
09-03-2018, 07:28 AM
The sad thing is, in reality, if you can't afford a safe ride you shouldn't be on the road. A clapped out ride with bad tires, no e-brake, rusted to crap shouldn't be allowed on the road regardless of income. Driving is not a right.... <- But that's a problem I'm not getting into as it's far more complex than we think. Let people drive shitboxes to avoid more welfare and maybe the liberals increase in min. wage wasn't a bad idea.

Maybe we should focus on things like these camber kids or honda civics bouncing all over the road due to poorly "home-grown" suspension modifications. But governments will rope those of us with thousands of dollars of properly engineered parts like Max Motorsports with some idiot kid with cut up suspension on a honda.

Ponyryd
09-03-2018, 10:48 AM
The sad thing is, in reality, if you can't afford a safe ride you shouldn't be on the road. A clapped out ride with bad tires, no e-brake, rusted to crap shouldn't be allowed on the road regardless of income. Driving is not a right.... <- But that's a problem I'm not getting into as it's far more complex than we think. Let people drive shitboxes to avoid more welfare and maybe the liberals increase in min. wage wasn't a bad idea.

Maybe we should focus on things like these camber kids or honda civics bouncing all over the road due to poorly "home-grown" suspension modifications. But governments will rope those of us with thousands of dollars of properly engineered parts like Max Motorsports with some idiot kid with cut up suspension on a honda.

It’s up to the police to enforce road safety, not the government, as it stands the police do very little it seems, but I’m sure if the government gets their hands in the pie it will not be a good outcome.