PDA

View Full Version : Nike/Kaepernick

Ponyryd
09-03-2018, 08:45 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/03/colin-kaepernick-is-now-the-face-of-nikes-just-do-it-campaign/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6181a334275a

Personally, I’m very sick of all the stupid kneeling crap this talentless crybaby created, not sure it’s a great poster boy for Nike, but I guess we’ll see....

Minaccia
09-03-2018, 08:49 PM
Just another disrespectful attention whore, ignore these types and we will be good.

StAnger
09-03-2018, 10:09 PM
I know I'll never buy anything Nike anytime soon.

Hutch
09-04-2018, 09:33 AM
He is such a hero. He had to sacrifice so much and work so hard.......barf. I can’t stand people

Laffs
09-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Hate him all you want but most people wouldn't risk a hugely high paying career they worked their whole lives for to make a statement about injustices going on in their country. Also most companies wouldn't weigh in on these hot button issues especially knowing where a lot of public sentiment lies. There a lot of major issues going on in the US right now and I don't think anyone can deny that.

WTF
09-04-2018, 11:41 AM
If I was on the Nike side of this decision...I'd have been saying let's not touch this one

I can appreciate that they didn't bail on Kaepernick (just like they didn't bail on Tiger Woods)....but making him the face of the brand this way?.....nope....wouldn't be the call I'd make

and Nike isn't some squeaky clean saint of clothing manufacturing....they have tons of baggage with slave labour in 3rd world countries etc

stick to sports Nike....and leave the politics to the nutters

dumb all around imo

Minaccia
09-04-2018, 11:51 AM
IMO the work place isn't the place to protest and if he worked as a C.A. or a burger flipper he would not be causing all this bullshit.

Time and place for everything.

This is more about self promotion than anything.

Hate him all you want but most people wouldn't risk a hugely high paying career they worked their whole lives for to make a statement about injustices going on in their country. Also most companies wouldn't weigh in on these hot button issues especially knowing where a lot of public sentiment lies. There a lot of major issues going on in the US right now and I don't think anyone can deny that.

5.4MarkVIII
09-04-2018, 12:56 PM

He never felt the need to speak out over the same “issues” that went on for years under Obama. Only under Trump. People are getting tired of politics being forced on them in every aspect. Sports used to outside of that realm where people could just go and relax and enjoy without having this stuff forced on them.

Th fact that Nike stocks have taken a hit since this announcement would affirm the fact that people don’t want politics to assault every aspect of their life.
Especially in such a way that’s seen as disrespectful.

Laffs
09-04-2018, 01:24 PM
He never felt the need to speak out over the same “issues” that went on for years under Obama. Only under Trump. People are getting tired of politics being forced on them in every aspect. Sports used to outside of that realm where people could just go and relax and enjoy without having this stuff forced on them.

Th fact that Nike stocks have taken a hit since this announcement would affirm the fact that people don’t want politics to assault every aspect of their life.
Especially in such a way that’s seen as disrespectful.

Athletes are human too, can't just tell someone to shut up, put your values aside and entertain me regardless of salary or status. If your boss told you to show support for the Liberal party/Kathleen Wynne or your fired would you take it?

Laffs
09-04-2018, 01:26 PM
My understanding was he was benched before ever taking a knee and wasn’t picked up because he wasn’t good enough. What exactly is he so brave to be giving up?

He's got more talent then a lot of QB's who have been traded since the 2016 anthem protest.

5.4MarkVIII
09-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Athletes are human too, can't just tell someone to shut up, put your values aside and entertain me regardless of salary or status. If your boss told you to show support for the Liberal party/Kathleen Wynne or your fired would you take it?

Bit of a difference in saying “vote for this person or your fired” and saying “your outspoken and dividing views are hurting our business and you need to stop pushing politics while you are on the clock.”

Laffs
09-04-2018, 01:45 PM
Bit of a difference in saying “vote for this person or your fired” and saying “your outspoken and dividing views are hurting our business and you need to stop pushing politics while you are on the clock.”

Fair play and good point, harder for me to draw the comparison between an athlete who's always in public eye and those of us who are more behind the scenes. I guess my question would be if he was eschewing the same message through off field press conferences and other public domain would their still be issue with it, and do you think it would be worth losing ones job over?

stangstevers
09-04-2018, 04:10 PM
lol for once I don't have an opinion. I'm not into sports and not much of a patriot or into anthems.

Racism is prevalent in a lot of areas, I guess it's good to bring up the issue. Although these actions may bring awareness and discussions, it doesn't offer much of an answer though. Hard to filter a true stand through a big mix of loud SJW snowflakes screaming about ice cream being too cold.

5.4MarkVIII
09-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Fair play and good point, harder for me to draw the comparison between an athlete who's always in public eye and those of us who are more behind the scenes. I guess my question would be if he was eschewing the same message through off field press conferences and other public domain would their still be issue with it, and do you think it would be worth losing ones job over?

I think if he was doing it on his own time it wouldn't be an issue. athletes support causes all the time, do fundraisers ect. that is how change is made. imo

Ponyryd
09-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Lots of good points in here, but yea, basically the guy is a tool, he wasn’t playing enough (in his mind) so he started this stupid protest to get some attention, and if I recall, his reason for the protest initially was something else, he changed it later because his first lie wasn’t working. If you ask me he’s an overpaid, under skilled crybaby who disrespects the flag and thinks he’s great for doing so.
Look at what has happened to the nfl since all this. He’s just looking for attention at all costs and he got it, there’s a time and place for everything, you can get on the news or start a protest about your beliefs, that’s fine, but not at a football game during the national anthem! He didn’t risk anything, he was never a great player and he likely knew he was going to get cut, so he had nothing to lose and look, it paid off for him.

Edit: I hope Nike is happy with their decision, lol.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Nike+loses+4.2+BILLION+market+capital&pc=MOZI&form=MOZCON

5.4MarkVIII
09-04-2018, 07:43 PM
hilarious to compare the "left" leaning media outlets in there coverage. and the "right" leaning medial coverage.

left says no big deal nike predicted to bounce back, hero for standing with a hero, ect ect ect.

right says 3.9 billion loss in market cap. people are obviously tired of the sjw divisive politcs

Ponyryd
09-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Hero, lmfao!

Hutch
09-04-2018, 08:59 PM

You are twisting things really badly here. Saying support liberal or your fired isn’t the same thing at all. That guy was still making millions, even on the sidelines, so I don’t think he’s very oppressed. What organization did he start when he started to do this? What did he do in communities to promote equality? What at all did he do outside of the GAME that he was playing in the FREE country he lives in? Disrespecting the country and all the people from different walks of life that fought and died to give you that freedom, to make millions playing a game, is disgusting. He should be ashamed of himself for handling it that way. There are MUCH better ways to get your message out but a lot of them require not being lazy and having some respect for other people.

92redragtop
09-04-2018, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure it will really hurt Nike - perhaps they have read the markets/tea leaves correctly. Time will tell.

Keep in mind their stock went from $52 to $83 in the past 12 months, a 60% increase, while post announcement they are down less than 5% - probably a few institutional investors deciding to take some profit off the table after the ride up and wait out a few days, or some excited short sellers, but I doubt it's the result of people "fed up" with these types of protests. I doubt that the majority of Trump's core base are active traders. The next couple days will tell as retail investors eventually react or as some investors may decide to buy the dip but the stock is up 20 cents in after hours trading.

stangstevers
09-05-2018, 07:21 AM
at the root of his protest is an assertion that police as an institution are targeting blacks. The stats don't back that up. It doesn't take much digging to debunk the idea, same as this whole BLM horseshit.

Pure and simple virtue signalling. My only question is whether he's genuine in his stance and simply ignorant of the facts (too lazy to do homework) or if he's purposely shit disturbing.

That's the thing, you put more cops where there's more crime. It's all based off of statistics not racial bias. But racism still exists today, it is a problem but I don't believe in white privilege, that's just more racism to say such things and it's much easier to blame an entire race than to find and fix a true cause for the problems.

Maybe one root cause in the USA is the school systems in disenfranchised areas. It's a surefire way to STAY poor and see crime as a "way out", they do "technically" have a reason to "blame the man". Schools in those high-crime areas can't even afford chalk, teachers are in tears because they don't get paid much and have to work multiple jobs to survive. It's dank as fuck in those high-crime areas. The system in the USA is such that to get out of poverty is almost insurmountable, no matter how determined you are, chances are you will end up as another statistic. I say this and I'm a strong believer in working hard to get out of any situation and I don't necessarily pity those who have kids in that situation, you should close your legs or abort your kids if you are practically destitute. There is proof that encouraging abortion in those same areas does, in fact, reduce crime over time.

This player's protest doesn't do much. Symbolism means nothing but I'm sure he donates millions of his money to support education and fund programs to get "gangbangers" to turn their lives around. <- At least I hope he backs up his symbolism with actions.

5.4MarkVIII
09-05-2018, 07:29 AM
listened to a pod cast a couple weeks ago that touched on this whole NFL, kneeling issue and the guy made one hell of a point,

if we were to accept the fact that there are areas that disenfranchised people of African decent have a hard time getting ahead, what ever the reasons, what is the one group(s) that are actively going in to these areas and selecting kids and giving them a shot at riches,

that would be sports, the nba and the nfl specifically, going into school regardless of the area or "poorness" and scouting kids who live and breath the game, pulling them out giving them scholarships.

the act of kneeling in disrespect, in the face of those who are actually doing more for your cause than any other group in America is blind and ill thought out

WTF
09-05-2018, 11:08 AM
with regard to Kaepernick not getting hired by a team

pretty simple imo

it's a fucking TEAM sport

if he wants to grand-stand as a tennis player, golfer, downhill skier, or a pro fucking bowler....go nuts....your behavior may only cost you

but when you play a team sport....it is not all about you....no matter how good you can throw and run....if you're toxic to a % of the team....your value starts to plummet and rightfully so

and this guy's history says loud and clear...he is fucking toxic....which explains his lack of employment

no different in any other workplace environment where you have to work with others

5.4MarkVIII
09-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Pod cast today was actually talking about how he was benched before he ever started the kneeling. He had one great season. Then couldn’t follow it up and was ranked like 36 out of 36 starting QB. Also that he was offered a contract with another team after the kneeling started but refused it because he wanted more money but no team was willing to pay for a player that wasn’t performing.

So sounds like his career was already over.

Darkhorse
09-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Big news for sure...….Kap makes me laugh a little bit...….he's only half black, but he is sure crazy enough to fight for what he believes, you have to respect that.....he's crazy enough to keep going with it...….I think the crazy people running the country don't like that......the same way they didn't like MLK or Malcolm X.

Nike standing behind him and making a marketing effort around it....also takes stones.

I think it's great......sometimes someone has to take a stand to make change. He decided it's him.

Trump hates it because Kap is just as crazy as he is.....and he don't like that.

Ponyryd
09-05-2018, 09:59 PM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/40828190_10156804542834114_3605064800867975168_n.j pg?_nc_cat=1&oh=b31d0ba063a677ae3e6ec8713ea0a8c8&oe=5BEE4DE5

This is well said, time and place for everything, he chose the wrong place for sure, and some say the wrong time as well.

Minaccia
09-05-2018, 10:24 PM
The guy had one fluky year and couldn't back it up so he got benched, he was going to get traded so he came up with another way to get the attention back on himself and came up with this disrespectful way. Just looking at him tells you he's always looking for attention, what a pathetic douche bag the guy is I mean he couldn't even stick to the original reason why he started all this he had to come up with another reason.

IMO, social media has made people more stupid because it's brought them all together.

5.4MarkVIII
09-05-2018, 11:17 PM
yep just left a group on facebook because people were constantly trying to social justice everything, like a dad complaing about sexism because the app his preschool uses for contact is called "himommy"
some guy asked about cheaper options for karatie clubs for his kid and i recomend the club my wife and kids attend pointing out it is a bit of a drive for him (30-40 min) but is much cheaper and allows monthly payments instead of demanding the full years fees up front. next thing i know im getting jumped on becasue it was such a far drive. cant even help people anymore without the SJW crowed flipping out.

we keep on this trail much longer and there wont be any going back

stangstevers
09-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Sad to say but we have it too easy in the West. We are all relatively safe, have fresh water 24/7, good electricity, etc...

I think people are bored, not "I'm home alone and nothing is on TV" bored, I mean there's a primitive need to hunt, gather and (yes) suffer in the process to keep our seemingly "big" brains occupied. Progress has taken away any need for our primitive brains and it's not going away without a fight. I honestly think people are going mad because life is too easy. Some can handle it better than others but generally speaking, most people can't adapt to the 1st world life style where everything is provided easily.

Look around the world where a drink of water is a real struggle. Do they give a fuck if someone calls them a he, she, it or whatever. They are preoccupied with things like walking 2 hours to get a bucket of water for the family.

Honestly I think we need to force kids out of school to join the army. Mandatory service for at least 3 years - put them in 3rd world countries, make them experience what hell is and maybe they will appreciate what we have versus whining about how people label things and whatnot. That stupid fucking sense of entitlement will go away fast once they know how good things are. They can always be better and we're not in any utopia by any means but our lives are so damn easy compared to a lot of places in the world.

Minaccia
09-06-2018, 08:21 AM
You nailed it Steve, bring back the draft and teach these wimpy kids of today how life works.

P.S. I would also like to see the death penalty return since we now have DNA testing.

Sad to say but we have it too easy in the West. We are all relatively safe, have fresh water 24/7, good electricity, etc...

I think people are bored, not "I'm home alone and nothing is on TV" bored, I mean there's a primitive need to hunt, gather and (yes) suffer in the process to keep our seemingly "big" brains occupied. Progress has taken away any need for our primitive brains and it's not going away without a fight. I honestly think people are going mad because life is too easy. Some can handle it better than others but generally speaking, most people can't adapt to the 1st world life style where everything is provided easily.

Look around the world where a drink of water is a real struggle. Do they give a fuck if someone calls them a he, she, it or whatever. They are preoccupied with things like walking 2 hours to get a bucket of water for the family.

Honestly I think we need to force kids out of school to join the army. Mandatory service for at least 3 years - put them in 3rd world countries, make them experience what hell is and maybe they will appreciate what we have versus whining about how people label things and whatnot. That stupid fucking sense of entitlement will go away fast once they know how good things are. They can always be better and we're not in any utopia by any means but our lives are so damn easy compared to a lot of places in the world.

trickflow-jay
09-06-2018, 12:09 PM
ez way to solve the present gun problem we have in the tdot....make it a 10yr min for getting caught with one(criminals of course) that should make them think 2x about doing anything,instead of probation and community service they presently receive from our LACK of a justice system......our politicians just dont get it,punishment is sorely lacking north of the border.It wont end up being 10yrs after good time but still better than what we have on the books.

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Although it's only been a couple days (short in the markets for those with a long term view) it seems it's working for Nike. The stock is recovering from the lows at the beginning of the week even though the NASDAQ has been down in the past couple days, and they're racking up the "free" marketing activity (estimates claim +$163 million) with people posting online (mostly detractors I think) which is only helping their message/campaign. I also imagine that as an MNC this will play well in their global markets from a free speech angle (especially all those tariff threatened markets), as well as domestically in the Hispanic/Black/Other younger demographics. I guess it's true that any press is generally good?

trickflow-jay
09-06-2018, 01:01 PM
yes mental illness too.......lock em up

RedSN
09-06-2018, 01:11 PM
Although it's only been a couple days (short in the markets for those with a long term view) it seems it's working for Nike.

An accomplished businessman, arguably an expert in the field, says otherwise.

"Nike is getting absolutely killed with anger and boycotts. I wonder if they had any idea that it would be this way?"

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Not according to Trump.

LOL, well we know he is incapable of telling the truth (according to his lawyers), and he also calls the NY Times "failing" and apparently his supporters believe that, notwithstanding that their stock price is the highest it's been over the past 5 years? And he's bankrupted his own NYSE traded company, and casino.

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 01:22 PM
You just proved why Nike will
Come out on top. Nothing to do with free speech and “rights” (from a companie that uses third world slave labor to make billions)

It’s 100% about anti Trump. Anything anti trump people throw money at.

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Well to be honest, he is the one that gave this whole thing legs (or knees) - if he'd just shut up and actually do his job this wouldn't be as big as it is. Keep in mind that America is a proudly capitalist society and Nike is operating as Americans want them to - much to the benefit of any American retiree or investor that holds a large cap mutual fund, ETF, or index fund (and maybe some of us depending on our investment holdings) - so we all support them technically. Do you really think all the underwear, shoes, etc that our kids wear everyday that we buy in big box stores for $9.99 a pack was made by unionized, highly paid workers in China, Vietnam, etc?

RedSN
09-06-2018, 01:40 PM
I wonder if he dumped his NIKE stock before it "tanked"?

Trump also owns stock in many well-known companies including Apple, Nike, Whole Foods, Google, Philip Morris, Raytheon, Facebook, and Morgan Stanley, among others.
https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trumps-stock-portfolio-2015-7

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 01:44 PM
I wonder if he dumped his NIKE stock before it "tanked"?

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trumps-stock-portfolio-2015-7

I've wondered if he/his family shorted any of the companies he tweets against since they refused to use blind trusts to separate the political activity from the family activity. Now if he did that with the failing NY Times or Nike or Amazon they might be getting margin calls. Also note his recent support and related criticism for the US Justice Dept re the 2 Republican congressmen charged with insider trading.

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Well to be honest, he is the one that gave this whole thing legs (or knees) - if he'd just shut up and actually do his job this wouldn't be as big as it is. Keep in mind that America is a proudly capitalist society and Nike is operating as Americans want them to - much to the benefit of any American retiree or investor that holds a large cap mutual fund, ETF, or index fund (and maybe some of us depending on our investment holdings) - so we all support them technically. Do you really think all the underwear, shoes, etc that our kids wear everyday that we buy in big box stores for $9.99 a pack was made by unionized, highly paid workers in China, Vietnam, etc?

Much the same that you said about trump can be said about kabernac. In fact pre trump opening his mouth over 70% of Americans were against Kabernac based on polls once Trump opened his mouth that dropped to just over 60%. Same point I was making.

I’m aware of our problem of having to have the absolute lowest price with no regard to quality or employees. That’s why I think it’s Hillarious that people who preach morals aren always the first to support companies without them

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Much the same that you said about trump can be said about kabernac. In fact pre trump opening his mouth over 70% of Americans were against Kabernac based on polls once Trump opened his mouth that dropped to just over 60%. Same point I was making.

I don't know where those stats came from or if they're real. 70% of 350 million Americans were against Kap?

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Sorry. Lol been yelled at twice today by customers who purchased a product at a different store and expect me to pay for repairs. In the name of customer service.

Not a good day for me to delve into politics. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know where those stats came from or if they're real.

Cited from a pod cast. Don’t know the original source.

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Sorry. Lol been yelled at twice today by customers who purchased a product at a different store and expect me to pay for repairs. In the name of customer service.

Not a good day for me to delve into politics. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Cited from a pod cast. Don’t know the original source.

That's pretty ballsy of them.

I would question any stat like that - 245 million Americans. Is the NFL fan base even that big?

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Well polls never poll every person in the country

stangstevers
09-06-2018, 02:42 PM
People who work in customer service have respectable skills. I couldn’t handle their jobs

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Well polls never poll every person in the country

My guess is that it's related to a small homogenous group like Fox TV viewers.

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 02:51 PM
lol okay.

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 05:12 PM
September 2016 poll completed by Reuters. 72% or Americans find Kaepernick kneeling to be unpatriotic.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/poll-majority-of-americans-disagree-with-colin-kaepernicks-protest/

Of will this be deemed “fake news” as well? If the NFL and Reuters white suppremisists? 😁😉

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Not really conclusive is it - there are multiple polls referenced and they are contradictory in terms of the % support and whether he has a constitutional right to protest like this. You mention white supremacists which I don't think factors here but there is race in the 70% number - which again, is a subset of a larger dataset so not 245 million people (it's just math). It is also a subset since the high % refers to white respondents (who are a subset of the US population). The other poll I found that had a 70% number referred to Republican respondents (so likely weighted to Fox viewers and Trump supporters). The number drops off when they include non-white populations. I guess it's a typical American thing.

CBS sits on both sides on this one (other polls - pick your poison; bottom line it won't hurt Nike and may actually help them):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-players-who-kneel-during-anthem-arent-unpatriotic-most-voters-say/

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/05/25/poll-nfl-fans-overwhelmingly-support-leagues-national-anthem-policy/23443820/

92redragtop
09-06-2018, 05:45 PM
I get that but it's been around a long time. Even Jackie Robinson did it almost 50 years ago so I don't think most care until it gets politicized by party lines, since most probably would agree the players have a right to do so (notwithstanding the private/public aspects - if his team has an issue with it then they can put him on notice if his contract has a clause that allows them to).

5.4MarkVIII
09-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Not really conclusive is it - there are multiple polls referenced and they are contradictory in terms of the % support and whether he has a constitutional right to protest like this. You mention white supremacists which I don't think factors here but there is race in the 70% number - which again, is a subset of a larger dataset so not 245 million people (it's just math). It is also a subset since the high % refers to white respondents (who are a subset of the US population). The other poll I found that had a 70% number referred to Republican respondents (so likely weighted to Fox viewers and Trump supporters). The number drops off when they include non-white populations. I guess it's a typical American thing.

CBS sits on both sides on this one (other polls - pick your poison; bottom line it won't hurt Nike and may actually help them):

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-players-who-kneel-during-anthem-arent-unpatriotic-most-voters-say/

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/05/25/poll-nfl-fans-overwhelmingly-support-leagues-national-anthem-policy/23443820/

Your referencing polls and coverage from 2018. I was referencing original polls from 2016 before it became a “trump” issue.
As was my point.

I’d like your facts proving the poll I gave as an example was mostly white, Fox News trump supporters.

92redragtop
09-07-2018, 01:31 PM
It said so in the article?

stangstevers
09-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Lol elevator farts

5.4MarkVIII
09-07-2018, 06:58 PM
It said so in the article?

The artical that cites the poll? The poll you can still access today? That was open to pretty much everyone to take? That says nothing about specifics in terms of what news channels you watch?

Ponyryd
09-08-2018, 10:12 AM
^Thats bullshit, Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk high.

stangstevers
09-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Bundy would find and beat the shit out of racists... and make fun of them if they're fat