PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay 20K USD for Very Low mileage 1982 GT?

Boomer
09-14-2018, 11:34 AM
This car has me daydreaming all day and night about buying it. The car is a true time capsule and really is my dream car. Just soooo much money and the wife and kids think I'm going looney for wanting a crappy old Foxbody. What do you all think? Is it worth it or just wait for a cheaper one to come along.

Here's a link to the Ebay auction. I've been in contact with the owner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ford-Mustang-GT/123360226734?hash=item1cb8d7adae:g:9qwAAOSwvRdbZ0u 8&vxp=mtr

hammerhead
09-14-2018, 11:46 AM
that's a beautiful car tough call tho

Slick_89_Hatch
09-14-2018, 11:47 AM
Joe, when it comes to old cars they are worth whatever someone wants to pay. When you have a specific car in mind, and you can't buy it off the lot anymore, price comes down to what you're willing to pay.
Example, market value for my Fox, let's say 12k, but if someone has a connection with it, they may pay 15k.
Honestly, cars like this will almost never come up for sale....it's what you've been hunting for. Best scenario is no one else wants it as bad as you and the seller is motivated.

If you can afford it, go for it!!! You only live once.

ZR
09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
If it's the car that turns your crank that hard, priced right or not, it's the right one to buy.

WidowrRacing
09-14-2018, 11:51 AM
If it’s your dream car I say go for it cause it’s mint and you probably won’t find a nicer turn key one.

If I was spending that $ it wouldn’t be on that.
But like they say “different strokes for different folks”.

True Blue
09-14-2018, 12:33 PM
How about a black one with 42K miles for half the price?

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1982/ford/mustang/101007272

Boomer
09-14-2018, 01:15 PM
How about a black one with 42K miles for half the price?

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1982/ford/mustang/101007272

DAMN! I was just by there a few weeks ago on a business trip. That looks very nice too. I'll give the seller a call tonight.

bluetoy
09-14-2018, 04:39 PM
I should have bought your old black one...

stangstevers
09-14-2018, 05:56 PM
I’d say this, it’s a time capsule and if you don’t want to mod the thing it’s not going to drop in value. 82 is a big year for the Mustang and the restart of the “muscle era” for the Brand with the new 302...

Black interior, TSX package... very nice fox. You only live once.

Ponyryd
09-14-2018, 06:23 PM
If you can afford it, do it, you could be dead next week. Personally I’d go for the black one, I hate t-tops, and I’m broke.

Screw
09-14-2018, 06:32 PM
I like the black one , personal preference, idkif I’d drop 20+k on a fox but the black ones priced pretty good

FABMAN
09-14-2018, 08:56 PM
This car has me daydreaming all day and night about buying it. The car is a true time capsule and really is my dream car. Just soooo much money and the wife and kids think I'm going looney for wanting a crappy old Foxbody. What do you all think? Is it worth it or just wait for a cheaper one to come along.

Here's a link to the Ebay auction. I've been in contact with the owner.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ford-Mustang-GT/123360226734?hash=item1cb8d7adae:g:9qwAAOSwvRdbZ0u 8&vxp=mtr

Honestly Boomer...no I wouldn't pay close to that for the silver one. The black one looks like a very nice clean example of an 82 and is much more reasonable.

I think the recent Dennis Collins sale of fox bodies at Barrett Jackson has temporarily inflated asking pricing of these...I have a feeling that if you wait it out that silver one could be had for around 12K once reality sets in on the current owner.

86 Mustang GT
09-14-2018, 08:57 PM
Buy it. You only live once. I can't wait to see it.....

needboost
09-16-2018, 08:15 PM
I think the black is a much nicer car sure it's not as fast but better car to start with, and like how in the e-bay ad for the race he called it a coupe funny looking coupe to me...

Nsty04SVT
09-16-2018, 10:08 PM
I spent way too much when I bought the Lightning but I wanted it....lol...do what makes you happy.

Minaccia
09-17-2018, 04:02 AM
If you're asking me the question my answer would be "No, I wouldn't" $10,000 for just about any Fox Body is too much money no matter what colour it is or what's done to it, Foxes are way over rated and if they didn't come with a 5.0L badge they would be just another "K" car as a friend once told me.

Boomer, buy the car you want not the car we want.

FoxRod
09-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Can't put a price on what makes you Happy, YOLO!...

Slick_89_Hatch
09-17-2018, 08:37 AM
I know Boomer really wants a Silver one....he's had a couple black ones. Exactly Arnold....YOLO!!!! (as long as you can afford it LOL)

stangstevers
09-17-2018, 09:56 AM
If you're asking me the question my answer would be "No, I wouldn't" $10,000 for just about any Fox Body is too much money no matter what colour it is or what's done to it, Foxes are way over rated and if they didn't come with a 5.0L badge they would be just another "K" car as a friend once told me.

Boomer, buy the car you want not the car we want.

Harsh!!! LOL

Slick_89_Hatch
09-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Harsh!!! LOL

Lou, it's not all about performance for everyone.....some people pay huge money for cars that are big crap boxes in terms of performance, quality etc. It all comes down to what people want. Honestly to me, anything 05+ is a boat....I like them, but I prefer my smaller feeling Fox. Anyways, by your logic, no one should want a 69 Camaro RS/SS or a 70 Boss 429 as they are based on cheap platforms and performance is no where close to a new car.

Boomer
09-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the replies and advice. That silver 82 T Top car is mint, but after thinking about what it would finally cost me to get into my garage, I'm pretty sure I would regret buying it. I think $10K would be my limit as Lou stated (although I don't totally agree with his reasoning). I get the "YOLO" you only live once saying, but I also believe it's really important to spend your hard earned cash on things that you need and not "I wants". If I had the money to buy what I wanted, man, I would probably have a dozen foureyed Foxes. I'm not into the big horsepower performance, although it is amazing to drive a new Mustang with over 400 HP. I want a hobby car for the sentimental reasons...remembering my late teen years in the early 80's. Heck I still have 4 cases of cassette tapes I'm waiting to play...LOL. Thanks again to all who replied. I appreciate it.

hammerhead
09-17-2018, 12:19 PM
nice - I've moved up tp cd's.....lol still the 80's music tho!!

Minaccia
09-17-2018, 12:35 PM
I would never compare a Fox to an old Camaro, Chevelle, Charger, Nova or even a 69 Mustang those don't fall under the same category and if it wasn't for that guy on Barrett Jackson the Fox would still be selling for a lot less. I also realize not everyone is into performance but I was just answering the question put out there.

Basically I feel the value of the Fox has been inflated and it has taken away from the die hard car guys, up until 4 years ago you could get out of your Fox and get back into another one without taking out a mortgage now everyone thinks they have the next Barrett Jackson show stopper in their garage.

Lou, it's not all about performance for everyone.....some people pay huge money for cars that are big crap boxes in terms of performance, quality etc. It all comes down to what people want. Honestly to me, anything 05+ is a boat....I like them, but I prefer my smaller feeling Fox. Anyways, by your logic, no one should want a 69 Camaro RS/SS or a 70 Boss 429 as they are based on cheap platforms and performance is no where close to a new car.

Slick_89_Hatch
09-17-2018, 01:23 PM
I would never compare a Fox to an old Camaro, Chevelle, Charger, Nova or even a 69 Mustang those don't fall under the same category and if it wasn't for that guy on Barrett Jackson the Fox would still be selling for a lot less. I also realize not everyone is into performance but I was just answering the question put out there.

Basically I feel the value of the Fox has been inflated and it has taken away from the die hard car guys, up until 4 years ago you could get out of your Fox and get back into another one without taking out a mortgage now everyone thinks they have the next Barrett Jackson show stopper in their garage.

I agree prices are a bit crazy BUT they started to rise quite a bit before the insane prices on Barrett Jackson. It's all supply and demand right....market dictates what they will sell for.

And curious why a Fox can't be put into the same category as an old Camaro, Chevelle etc? It's essentially the same thing.

Minaccia
09-17-2018, 02:45 PM
You're right about the prices rising before the BJ show look at that 86 vert I bought for $6500 3 years ago, put a bit of cash into it and within 18 months I sold it for $12,500 and I couldn't understand why and regarding why I can't put the Fox in the same category as the others has a bit to do with me, haha.

You're a good kid Norm and I like getting you going on the Foxes now get that old expensive block of wood to run 11's.

I agree prices are a bit crazy BUT they started to rise quite a bit before the insane prices on Barrett Jackson. It's all supply and demand right....market dictates what they will sell for.

And curious why a Fox can't be put into the same category as an old Camaro, Chevelle etc? It's essentially the same thing.

Screw
09-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Fox not same as Camaro chevelle etc cuz the Ford big blocks hang with them .

& Fox’s didn’t come with chrome bumpers ! :)

Slick_89_Hatch
09-17-2018, 03:00 PM
You're right about the prices rising before the BJ show look at that 86 vert I bought for $6500 3 years ago, put a bit of cash into it and within 18 months I sold it for $12,500 and I couldn't understand why and regarding why I can't put the Fox in the same category as the others has a bit to do with me, haha.

You're a good kid Norm and I like getting you going on the Foxes now get that old expensive block of wood to run 11's.

Lou you know it's always all good man, nothing like a little friendly chatter!

I need more time at the drag strip, its me not the car why it hasn't run an 11. It really should run a mid 11 or better. It makes an additional 40ish rwhp compared to last time I had it at the strip as well.

ZR
09-17-2018, 08:29 PM
So, get out there n let er hang at the strip.

stangstevers
09-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Lou would hate this auction lol https://www.ebay.com/itm/183432512378

45k USD for a mint notchback...

hammerhead
09-18-2018, 07:57 AM
wow that's the highest price I've seen - seen one on kijiji in the spring for 35,000 couldn't believe what I was looking at - I always remember these cars as having a single thin grey pin stripping from the factory along the side accenting the body line....?

stangstevers
09-18-2018, 08:10 AM
wow that's the highest price I've seen - seen one on kijiji in the spring for 35,000 couldn't believe what I was looking at - I always remember these cars as having a single thin grey pin stripping from the factory along the side accenting the body line....?

Not all had that option, it's rare but some door tags have no pin stripe code. My notch is a factory "no pin stripe" option. I know it's been repainted but the car never had the stripe from factory.

hammerhead
09-18-2018, 08:21 AM
did not know that...

True Blue
09-18-2018, 12:37 PM
I always remember these cars as having a single thin grey pin stripping from the factory along the side accenting the body line....?

1991 was the last year for the pinstripe, which was colour matched to the interior.