PDA

View Full Version : Roofing contractor.

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Just a question for any roofing guys. On ridge venting.

Pm if you wish. Thanks

Laffs
09-17-2018, 09:00 AM
What up?

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Had our roof re shingled. And they put on a “ridge cap”. Which I was expecting to be a ridgeCap assembly. It ended up being that roof foam stuff payed over a slot cut in the ridge and then shingled over with cap shingles.

I questioned it. And he said that how they do it and it’s approved by timberline for their warranty.

Is that a legit way to do it?

Also when re shingling is it common practice to just lift the edge of the flashing pull the old shingles out underneath and laying new shingles then bending the flashing back into place and re calking?

We avoided the lowest quote and pace a bit more for a local guy with a good rep but I expected a bit more the. What they ended up doing.

Just want to make sure I wasnt expecting too much

Laffs
09-17-2018, 10:37 AM
Did you have a ridge vent before? Are you saying they spray foamed the opening where you had a ridge vent and then just capped it? Or did you have it capped before and were expecting them to install a ridge vent? Need more info here, but either way whatever they were going to do should be spelled out in the quote.

As for flashings, don't know if you mean valley flashings, vertical flashings, pipe flashings, drip edge, etc. Our standard practice is to replace all metal flashings, however sometimes it's not feasible or not possible to replace vertical flashings (like at a chimney or wall) so yea it gets reused. Again it should all be spelled out in the quote as to if he intended to replace or reuse the flashings.

Do you have any pictures of the deficiencies in question? Nothing sounds overly wrong except I think this guy quoted/provided a shingle replacement vs expectation of a full roof replacement (which is justified). This why we only do commercial roofing now, there's no level playing field or standard of work for residential unfortunately. If this guy has a good rep I wouldn't lose sleep over it, your roof should be sound.

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 11:11 AM
I’ll take some pics this aft and post them up.

Just want to be sure I wasn’t expecting too much before I call him up and bitch. Lol.

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 04:29 PM
so will start by saying the roof job was two parts, the main 2 story part of the house and the back one story part.

the east side of the back part was done a year ago when we discovered some really bad rotting brought on by years of ice daming, we had to completely remove the lower part of the roof, run new rafters and re sheat the entire side, my dad and I did it ourselves and just used over the counter flashing, and drip edge.

when we requested a quote I told them they can do there own thing on the top half but I have enough flashing and drip edge for the back half and would like them to use that so it matched,

in this pic you can see the drip edge that my dad an I installed on the right, that piece was longer, cut and folded along the roof line and running down the left side so it could be used and added too when the new shingles went on, instead they cut it off at the peek and then used just a basic galvanized drip edge that dosnt even go all the way to the peak

here is the other part of that roof, again on the right the flashing that my dad and I put on when doing that side, and on the left, the original flashing that they just bent out of the way, cut shorter then bent back down and calked the heck out of

here is the "ridge cap vent" in question, might be hard to make out but its just that black fiber foam stuff that is used under steel roofing, then layed it over the slot in the ridge and then nailed cap shingles on top. he said that this is a warranty approved vent for the timberline shingles they used.

we had them quote soffit and facia as well but decided to address the singles this year and then do the rest with the evestroughs next year, however there was one spot on the back side that was bad and I had asked them to replace the facia board while they were up there. as you can see they didnt

this is the current state of my trough post roof repair.

this job was quoted in may, and suppose to be completed in july, they were "too busy" so it kept getting pushed back and was completed last week in one, they did it in one day and left me a $6000 bill

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 04:34 PM
as an update when I spoke with the contractor this am. he says he didn't know that they were suppose to use supplied flashing and drip edge and would be willing to come install it for me... for a fee of course

03svt
09-17-2018, 05:00 PM
id Be more concerned about getting that flashing replaced, new shingles are a nice addition but if nothing is there to divert it from the edge of the home you’ve got water issues.

I’d be replacing the flashing instead of patching it.

Did they replace any of the roof vents or delete any of them?

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Removed all the standard vents that were there and installed those “ridge vents”

I had asked them to do the flashing but they didn’t.

True Blue
09-17-2018, 06:43 PM
I had asked them to do the flashing but they didn’t.

Was the removal and installation of the new flashing not stated on the written contract?

Laffs
09-17-2018, 08:20 PM
That style ridge vent is acceptable, I think Owens Corning makes the stuff.

The flashings and drip edge detail is rough looking sorry to say. As stated above get the flashings against the house addressed pronto. Sorry about that mess.

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Was the removal and installation of the new flashing not stated on the written contract?

the flashing itself was not listed but I assumed that was because I told him I had the flashing for it already,
the quote left a lot to be desired, normaly would not have accepted It. but the came very highly recommended from everyone that has used them.

ive nnever shingled a rood without replacing the flashing at the corners between the shingles and any virtical be it, chiminy, wall ect. assumed it was just part an parcel of the job

5.4MarkVIII
09-17-2018, 08:41 PM
That style ridge vent is acceptable, I think Owens Corning makes the stuff.

The flashings and drip edge detail is rough looking sorry to say. As stated above get the flashings against the house addressed pronto. Sorry about that mess.

k that was what I wasn't sure about. thanks

flashing sucks but I can climb up and do it myself, guess I just accepted more, going to be a PITA to remove the gobs of calking they used in lue of flashing. mabe get lucky and can flash over it

Laffs
09-17-2018, 11:14 PM
This might be what's on there

https://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/products/rigid-roll-vent

or RidgeCat

http://origin.owenscorning.com/roofing/accessories/ridgecat/

https://www.roofingcontractor.com/ext/resources/Issues/2015-February/RC0215Slideshow_VentFocus10.jpg

5.4MarkVIII
09-18-2018, 07:19 AM
awesome thanks, had never seen it done like that before so wanted to make sure before complaining about it

Laffs
09-18-2018, 08:13 AM
No worries, hopefully you get the metal situation sorted out.

RedSN
09-18-2018, 08:45 AM
This might be what's on there
https://www.roofingcontractor.com/ext/resources/Issues/2015-February/RC0215Slideshow_VentFocus10.jpg
Neat looking product. But the graphics leave me in suspense:
"RidgeCat branding helps center vent over....."
"Printed nailing tack lines eliminate...."

Laffs
09-18-2018, 08:48 AM
It's a roofers mad lib.

5.4MarkVIII
11-14-2018, 05:49 PM
so fun update. I had called back in September and talked to him again, said I under stand the venting now, no worries there but I have issues with the way the drip rail and flashing was done. I would like to show you my concerns and get it rectified.
his response was well if we have to re do flashing ill have to charge for it. I said not if it was not what I asked for an not done correctly. (shingles butting against brick wall with no step flashing and the seam just filled with caulk.

so he was suppose to call when in the area never showed up. we also never got an invoice. but a few weeks back i came home and ther was cut up flashing material all over my driveway and back yard, went up on the roof, and they took teh drip rail that i had asked them to install cut it thiner to clear teh nails already in, bent back teh shingles on the edge (breaking some) and hammered it OVER TOP THE DRIP MOULDING THAT WAS ALREADY THERE. never called didnt leave a note. and i still never got a bill.
untill today. get home to an envelope stuck in the door. with two invoices, one dated back in september for the original estimate price PLUS AN EXTRA $800, for "re-shingling back roof" which was suppose to be included in the origonal estimate.
then there was a second bill that was teh same but marked OVERDUE and have another $600 in interest.

Still waiting for a call back.

DinoZ
11-14-2018, 08:34 PM
I’ll chime in on this

1.) Drip edge along the eaves is used to prevent water from wicking back up under the shingles along the lower eaves so that water can flow into the gutters. It is also used to aesthetically give a finished look, a straight line edge for shingle application and meant to overhang the eaves slightly so as to direct water into the gutters. Asphalt shingles typically overhang the drip edge by no more than 1/2”.

2.) The ridge vent you have is a a common ridge type vent made of polypropylene. Ventilation is important in an asphalt shingle application and placing the ventilation on the ridge is the most effective as warm/hot humid air rises to the highest point where it will evacuate from this style of vent. In order for this vent to function well though you must have equal fresh or outside air enter the attic (plenum area) equally and via your soffits, this is crucial.

Think of it this way, the temperature in your attic say in winter should be equal to or close to outside temperatures. So your soffits must be free and clear of any insulation or blockage whatsoever.

I will not address insulation , but it is the most important factor and reading through your posts you had issues with ice damning and this is most often caused by insufficient insulation in your attic combined with blocked soffits and insufficient evacuation (venting). If you wish I can explain in further detail to you personally if this is a concern.

3.) Flashing. Step flashing is used on sidewall application and are “stepped” under each row of shingles along the sidewall edge to create a “waterfall” effect. Counterflashing, or the flashing up against the sidewall that goes over the step flashing area can be reused and sometimes it is countersunk into the mortar etc...

I cannot speak for pricing on the work as this is an area that varies greatly.

Again if you need further information let me know.

5.4MarkVIII
11-14-2018, 09:04 PM
yeah problem is they hacked of parts of the drip edge that was there to put on a different non matching type of drip edge then jammed the first type back over the other stuff when I questioned why
they removed some of the step flashing and replaced it with gobs of calking.

insulation was replaced two years ago that fixed the ice damming issue