PDA

View Full Version : All things track, road course or drag

ZR
09-17-2018, 06:34 PM
BFG R1 tires.

Once you experience an R Comp tire on the track, there is no going back. Once warmed up, difference in traction over even a good street tire is night and day. Car will turn in places you could never have imagined. Got a little over two full seasons on my last set so not ridiculously expensive.

hammerhead
09-17-2018, 06:45 PM
I haven't experienced them yet really didnt think they would last that long 2 seasons sounds good....

1BAD92LX
09-17-2018, 08:40 PM
I use Continental slicks, as Rick stated you will never run street tires again. I buy them off kijiji. Approx $75-100 each.

You should have dedicated track brakes. One experience of brake fade into a corner is all it takes.
I've personally only run Hawk pads for no reason really. Hawk HPS pads don't work in my experience.
Hawk HP+ front and rear is what I'm currently using. Work great, reasonably priced, but may not last as long as other pads.
Plain old Ford (brembo) rotors too. Just can't kill those rotors.

Stephen06GT
09-17-2018, 08:46 PM
Expanding on the brakes, fluid is extremely important. You want a fluid that doesn't boil as easily as stock. I've been using SuperBlue for several years, though no longer available due to its colour. Will be switching to their amber fluid once my current stock of Blue is exhausted.

While we talk about all kinds mods to make our rides perform better, the most important one is a driver mod. Until you have some seat time pushing your car around a road course or drag strip, you will be the weak link. Your stock ride will be more than capable to put a perma-grin on your mug.

1BAD92LX
09-17-2018, 09:08 PM
CG Lock. Spend your energy driving not holding yourself in your crappy stock Fox seats.

newbiestangowner
09-17-2018, 09:13 PM
I ran Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 this year that’s what I had, hawk hps, and motul 5.1

Impressed with the fairly budget price tires- got the job done better than my continental dw ( sorry conti fans)

Motul fluid held up but definitely need changing.
Hawk hps - disappointing- spongy ,brake fade initial bite good but that disappears- cooked them too
but I guess it got the job done I didn’t go into the grass mind you I don’t go “ Brad Speed” lol

- for data and video I used TrackAddict- free version lets you record 3 u have to delete to record more- $11.99 paid version unlimited
U can Bluetooth your obd2 as well and wifi external GoPro
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/411a68bc401bc2bd3541c9973bb3f11a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/6cc78bbcb39f2ade2f3228cd53d700de.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/8bfd3f5620c61fa36fe1cf777aa4196a.jpg
oh and my rims are now flat BLACK thanks HPS lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrape
09-17-2018, 09:22 PM
In terms of brake fluid I have had great success with Motul DOT 5.1 in my past vehicles. I am due in my Q and will be running it again. Definitely will be upgrading front rotors and pads all around.

ZR
09-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Tried a few before settling on tried n true Super Blue. Have enough for one more full flush then it'll be hunt for a suitable replacement.

newbiestangowner
09-17-2018, 09:27 PM
In terms of brake fluid I have had great success with Motul DOT 5.1 in my past vehicles. I am due in my Q and will be running it again. Definitely will be upgrading front rotors and pads all around.

Last session it held up, but I had more tire grip this session and pushed deeper .. huh? Lol u know what I mean
Anyway I was quicker this session I may try something else next session

ZR
09-17-2018, 09:33 PM
I ran Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 this year that’s what I had, hawk hps, and motul 5.1

Impressed with the fairly budget price tires- got the job done better than my continental dw ( sorry conti fans)

Hawk hps - disappointing- spongy ,brake fade initial bite good but that disappears- cooked them too
but I guess it got the job done I didn’t go into the grass mind you I don’t go “ Brad Speed” lol

- also for you newbies for data and video I used TrackAddict- free version lets you record 3 u have to delete to record more- $11.99 paid version unlimited

Sorry to hear on the pads, initial bite and feel seemed excellent.
Track ap, how well does it work? Problems or things that aren't cool with it?

hammerhead
09-17-2018, 09:36 PM
I've never driven on road course track and I'm chomping at the bit to get there - It's not to say I don't drive hard I have some very technical short cuts on my way home from work and exercise the car well thru them. I always here the importance of brakes and I have to ask this question because brakes in the old days where always a second thought...are extreme brake setups more important for automatic cars vs standard cars or is it equal?

Scrape
09-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Bring it by my place Ron and I will get them cleaned up for you. PM me and we can make an arrangement for time. If my car was a summer toy and had the occasional track event I would definitely move up to the RBF 600.

- also for you newbies for data and video I used TrackAddict- free version lets you record 3 u have to delete to record more- $11.99 paid version unlimited

newbiestangowner
09-17-2018, 09:38 PM
^^ TrackAddict works great
Works by gps so type your track name and it comes up- I ended up buying it
Speed and course lay out is on screen and g force, brake
Mind u it probably not as accurate as what you real racers have but for recreational use , not disappointed one bit
Plus video output looks cool.

RedSN
09-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Have not stepped up to r-comps yet as I drive to the track on my tire setup. I’ve always run the Nitto NT-05’s and have been very happy with them on my set-up. I’ve had 2 sets so far. Could have gotten another season out of the last set, but I must have run or slid over something that took some chunks out, and on one tire I had a groove that cut into the belts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/94-Mustang/i-cv8tbdN/0/b401eee1/S/NT-05_zpszdqz7ffz-S.jpg

Next year, going to be sporting a set of Nankang NS2r’s
https://photos.smugmug.com/94-Mustang/i-xr3WkB4/0/8d111747/M/EE701159-AEB5-4C08-8057-8DA9BC3DAA8D-M.jpg
And G-Loc R10 pads on the Ford (brembo) rotors
https://photos.smugmug.com/94-Mustang/i-bBMSrNh/0/e5e4c76b/S/38731549-E3E4-4A63-A9E5-599CA4671961-S.jpg

98 Snake
09-17-2018, 10:42 PM
Hawk street/race pad is the best I've used yet. It's never faded and has excellent cold bite. Down side is its noisy and dusty
I simply wash and wax my wheels regularly to keep the dust from wrecking the wheels

For brake fluid I use Mopar dot4. Never had any issues with it and if it's good enough for a viper and SRT vehicles then
It's good enough for me lol

Michelin pilot super sport tire has been the best track capable tire I've used . Lots of grip both dry and wet so you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain. I've got 7 track days on mine the the tread wear is awesome without any chunking

newbiestangowner
09-17-2018, 10:52 PM
Hawk street/race pad is the best I've used yet. It's never faded and has excellent cold bite. Down side is its noisy and dusty
I simply wash and wax my wheels regularly to keep the dust from wrecking the wheels

For brake fluid I use Mopar dot4. Never had any issues with it and if it's good enough for a viper and SRT vehicles then
It's good enough for me lol

Michelin pilot super sport tire has been the best track capable tire I've used . Lots of grip both dry and wet so you don't have to worry about getting caught in the rain. I've got 7 track days on mine the the tread wear is awesome without any chunking

Damn it I got the wrong Hawk pads! Oh well .

98 Snake
09-17-2018, 11:00 PM
You can never have enough brakes lol You might not like all the dust and noise it your dd your car other wise they are awesome pads but are kinda pricey

newbiestangowner
09-18-2018, 02:01 AM
end of day run
here is short clip using Trackaddict for those that don't have it

https://youtu.be/9QWX1BybHMo

ZR
09-18-2018, 06:04 AM
^ Now that sir is very cool.
Have any full / multi laps clips?

NickD
09-18-2018, 07:58 AM
In regards to the CG lock
I looked and could not find it for sale and in stock, websites down and it seems they are not around anymore.
Couple companies make 3 point harnessess to use without a bar and bolt to factory locations but the cost and install wasnt worth it to me.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

newbiestangowner
09-18-2018, 08:26 AM
I was thinking of getting these for next session, I may have used too much leather conditioner on the seats

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/070b3e937423fc3b08dd8e85c6cff6d3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/8a57c5e8d3d0406c9fd721282f855e51.jpg

hammerhead
09-18-2018, 08:51 AM
clever...

RedSN
09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
In regards to the CG lock
I looked and could not find it for sale and in stock, websites down and it seems they are not around anymore.

Really? This pops up as one of the first google hits:
http://www.rallysport.ca/safety/cg-lock.htm
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/interior/miscellaneous/cg-lock-seat-belt-lock-out-for-performance-driving.html
https://www.camarodepot.ca/interior/seat-belts/seat-belts-654/cg-lock-seat-belt-lock

edit:

We have now launched SHOFT to replace CG-Lock. It's lighter, easier to fit and live with and has got top 5* ratings from the press. See why at www.SHOFT.co.uk - October 6, 2015
SHOFT? that hardly seems like a replacement for CG-Lock. That's a shame. The CG-Lock was a great product. Guess I better hang onto mine.

newbiestangowner
09-18-2018, 09:15 AM
^ Now that sir is very cool.
Have any full / multi laps clips?

https://youtu.be/fCsQz-PjZ4Y

oh i finally figured out why vids are only max 3 mins-
RaceRender free edition ( edits Track addict) 3 mins max
if anyone knows of another one that does it longer please let me know thanks

ZR
09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
That is Bad Ass, thanks Ron.

Armen
09-18-2018, 02:28 PM
I get my fluids changed every spring. Oil, trans, brake and rear end. I may do the trans more than once depending on how many events I’m planning on doing for the season. All OEM Ford fluids. My front breaks were upgraded to the 6 piston Brembos in the spring of 2016 before the track day. I hammer on them in a full weight convertible and they’ve never faded on 15-20 minute sessions. They haul the car down quick every time. I have replaced the back brakes this year (Ford OEM), but the fronts are still going strong so far after several track days. I’ve used MT Street Comps and now on Nitto NT05’s. Both decent tires and won’t break the bank. I drive to the track, drop the pressures a bit and go and have fun. Then drive home. The car seems to grip very well for street tires. I did do the Eibach Pro Kit when I first got the car and I have nothing but good things to say about it. No too firm on the street and does enthusiastic and track ventures very well

Yup. I love this car.

newbiestangowner
09-18-2018, 02:34 PM
I get my fluids changed every spring. Oil, trans, brake and rear end. I may do the trans more than once depending on how many events I’m planning on doing for the season. All OEM Ford fluids. My front breaks were upgraded to the 6 piston Brembos in the spring of 2016 before the track day. I hammer on them in a full weight convertible and they’ve never faded on 15-20 minute sessions. They haul the car down quick every time. I have replaced the back brakes this year (Ford OEM), but the fronts are still going strong so far after several track days. I’ve used MT Street Comps and now on Nitto NT05’s. Both decent tires and won’t break the bank. I drive to the track, drop the pressures a bit and go and have fun. Then drive home. The car seems to grip very well for street tires. I did do the Eibach Pro Kit when I first got the car and I have nothing but good things to say about it. No too firm on the street and does enthusiastic and track ventures very well

Yup. I love this car.

She looked great out there,
Any problems with stones or bugs Chris with the new grill?

Runs cooler too I would think.

RedSN
09-18-2018, 02:35 PM
I drive to the track, drop the pressures a bit and go and have fun. Then drive home.
What pressure do you run on the street that you are dropping pressure at the track? I guess the better question is: what pressure are you running the tires (hot) at the track?
Just asking because I usually have to add air pressure at the track, then drop it before heading home.

Hutch
09-18-2018, 02:42 PM
I have used stoptech (formerly power slot) rotors in the past so that’s what I went with for this time. I tried out the hawk street/race pads and they worked surprisingly well. I never got brake fade with my heavy boat anchor. I also installed brake cooling ducts though so that could have helped. I never track a car with out a good flush of the fluid. Well the night before the track day I realized that I had emptied out my stock pile of ford HD performance brake fluid....oops. So once the parts place opened at 8am I grabbed stoptech stb 600 fluid. Full system flush when home and good to go. If you track your car often during the season you should at least flush the lines a few times and top up the reservoir. This time for me was the first I think my car has ever had. It was brown and black. Not cool. One of my fav upgrades was my rear control relocation brackets and tubular lower control arms with heim joint ends! Wow. The rear of the car feels 100% more tight. I

Armen
09-18-2018, 03:35 PM
She looked great out there,
Any problems with stones or bugs Chris with the new grill?

Runs cooler too I would think.

This is the Cervini C series grille which I did this year replacing the Lethal Performance grille delete. I would think the grille delete was able to get more air in there but I was just never completely sold on the looks. The Cervini looks much more aggressive and almost has a GT350 look to it. No issues with debris other than some bugs.

Armen
09-18-2018, 03:52 PM
What pressure do you run on the street that you are dropping pressure at the track? I guess the better question is: what pressure are you running the tires (hot) at the track?
Just asking because I usually have to add air pressure at the track, then drop it before heading home.

The recommended tire pressure on my car is 35psi cold. On the street, once warmed up that equates to about 40psi. But if I were to run that on the road course, those pressures would go much higher due to the increased heat and make the tires too greasy under those extreme conditions. So I lower it to about 30psi at the track so they come up to about 40psi under track conditions. The front left I may drop an extra pound or two because of the high speed right corners.

RedSN
09-18-2018, 04:40 PM
The recommended tire pressure on my car is 35psi cold.
Oh, okay, didn't realize the recommended tire pressures on the S550 was that high.
Mine is 30 psi (cold) on the street. So I'm usually adding a bit of air when I get to the track.

Gabe
09-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Hard for me respond on individual upgrades as all were done at the same time, but I felt like the whole package worked flawlessly for my first time at the track in the car
IRS with full tilt boogie throughout
Torsen t2r
MM coilovers
Koni double adjustable struts
Bilstein single adjustable shocks
MM solid steering shaft
MM front control arms
mM steering rack bushings
Steeda full length sub frames
MM SS flex hoses front and rear
Cobra rear calipers with drilled and slotted rotors
245/40/18 Nitto NT05 tires all around
Alignment done at Apex motoring in Mississauga
Car already had Baer front brakes

newbiestangowner
09-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Hard for me respond on individual upgrades as all were done at the same time, but I felt like the whole package worked flawlessly for my first time at the track in the car
Torsten t2r
MM coilovers
MM solid steering shaft
MM front control arms

Wow
Nice collection of goodies!

newbiestangowner
09-19-2018, 12:06 AM
Spoke to Joe - owner of black gt350 previous track day session(Spring) and took a ride along. I didn't know that if you bought a gt350 you got admission for this.( on my wish bucket list)
- maybe its included in the price- so Laurence when you buy your gt350 I'd be more than willing to take the admission ticket off your hands if you are not going to use it :D

Utah

https://youtu.be/LMfdwrILJBQ

ZR
09-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Dam that would be a ton of fun.

ZR
09-19-2018, 06:58 AM
Brake pads.

While my first set of CarboTech pads worked out well, second set failed (fronts, friction surface failed + rears cracked n split) in short order. This year I've made the switch to G Loc all round on fresh rotors. Inspection after our last track day, pads are standing up very well and appear to be substantially easier on the rotors. Yes expense up front gets your attention (7-800 for front and rear pads + rotors) but their smooth n easy to modulate performance and how well they are standing up = money well spent. Yes they also make pads that are suited for street use only or something closer to a dual purpose as well.
On the street I use EBC greens up front and OEM Ford on the rear riding on drilled n slotted rotors for the bling factor. After initial wear in, the fronts have little to no dusting, dead nuts quiet, exceptional initial bite (especially cold) and for how hard any of us can drive on the street, good braking at speed with a predictable amount of fade under conditions you'd expect it. Brake fluid, I used several of the "go to" brake fluids with poorish results. Initial feel after flush n bleed, really good pedal but all fell off the map quickly when pushed to the point of extreme on track days. Get the fluid toasty, pedal gets soggy n quickly goes down hill from there, allow to cool, substantial improvement but well short of when fresh. Switch to Super Blue (sorry, no longer available because of color), after flush n bleed, pedal firmer vs any of the other fluids. Track day, even at the point of boiling n streaming out the master cylinder, reduced pedal feel but still providing decent brake action. Allow to cool for a full session, right back to where it was n feeling mint. I've heard the amber replacement is the same formula but with a different coloration but no actual experience so can't say for sure.

Scrape
09-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Your killing me Ron lol!
Spoke to Joe - owner of black gt350 previous track day session(Spring) and took a ride along. I didn't know that if you bought a gt350 you got admission for this.( on my wish bucket list)
- maybe its included in the price- so Laurence when you buy your gt350 I'd be more than willing to take the admission ticket off your hands if you are not going to use it :D

Utah

https://youtu.be/LMfdwrILJBQ

Hutch
09-20-2018, 05:01 PM
Torsen t2r
MM coilovers
MM solid steering shaft
MM front control arms

Awesome list right there!!!

newbiestangowner
09-21-2018, 01:17 PM
Just some road course reading/ resource / video tutorials

**if you scroll down to bottom of page there are tutorials on various subject matter**

https://driver61.com/uni/racing-line/

RedSN
09-21-2018, 02:39 PM
^^^good stuff!

Most common mistake I see, and on the street also to be honest, is the early apex.

http://racetips.tv/main/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/early-apex-300x225.gif

It’s very common for drivers to apex too early due to nerves about the approaching corner and eagerness to take the turn. The racing line apex which is often out of view at the point of turn in, or further round the corner than you expect

newbiestangowner
09-21-2018, 03:28 PM
^^^good stuff!

Most common mistake I see, and on the street also to be honest, is the early apex.

http://racetips.tv/main/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/early-apex-300x225.gif

Yup Don I looked at some of my video.
Also I noticed I was braking late( and carrying way to much speed going in) as opposed to braking before turn in ( and setting up)
I appreciated riding with you it confirmed it

FABMAN
09-21-2018, 09:19 PM
I was thinking of getting these for next session, I may have used too much leather conditioner on the seats

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/070b3e937423fc3b08dd8e85c6cff6d3.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180918/8a57c5e8d3d0406c9fd721282f855e51.jpg

Ron what are these and where do I get them?

newbiestangowner
09-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Ron what are these and where do I get them?

Seat belt / harness 5-17

4 Point Removable Harness
Ideal for Track and Street Use
Compatible with a HANS Device
ASM - Anti SubMarining Technology
Works with Factory Seat Belt Receptacles
2" Wide Black Polyester Webbing
Fits All 2005-2017 Mustangs

https://www.americanmuscle.com/schroth-quickfit-pro-black-0516.html

Fabio did you see post #40 - some interesting info there for the off-season

ZR
09-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Keep in mind, strapped upright without a roll bar is not the safest scenario.

newbiestangowner
09-21-2018, 10:23 PM
Keep in mind, strapped upright without a roll bar is not the safest scenario.

Ohhhh
Ok forget that then [emoji15]

ZR
09-21-2018, 10:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkj2iPC6tg4

ZR
09-21-2018, 10:28 PM
I wonder if DaSilva's can get em?

newbiestangowner
09-21-2018, 10:37 PM
I wonder if DaSilva's can get em?

Thanks Rick!!
That’s a great option. I just needed something that prevented me from sliding around .. since I was going so fast lol j/k

FABMAN
09-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Seat belt / harness 5-17

4 Point Removable Harness
Ideal for Track and Street Use
Compatible with a HANS Device
ASM - Anti SubMarining Technology
Works with Factory Seat Belt Receptacles
2" Wide Black Polyester Webbing
Fits All 2005-2017 Mustangs

https://www.americanmuscle.com/schroth-quickfit-pro-black-0516.html

Fabio did you see post #40 - some interesting info there for the off-season

If budget allows I would love to take a performance driving school class in Arizona over the winter. Great excuse to get out of the cold and do something fun.

newbiestangowner
09-21-2018, 11:39 PM
^^ that’s awesome!!! I’m broke that’s why I’m bugging Laurence for his voucher when he buys his GT 350

Scrape
09-22-2018, 05:56 AM
LOL! You mean if I get one.

ZR
09-22-2018, 06:01 AM
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jkdwfR_NkIc/WeVBnv0E7XI/AAAAAAAAWMs/19MuJ5FW-0UsJCbTeb0YQFHumSvyKVoyQCLcBGAs/s1600/eacx15_005_02-0064_hires1%2B%255Bwww.imagesplitter.net%255D.jpeg

newbiestangowner
09-22-2018, 06:31 AM
LOL! You mean if I get one.

It’s not IF
It’s When
I’m in no rush, it gives me time to save for airfare and accommodation - only if you don’t use the voucher ( as car enthusiasts we wouldn’t want it to go to waste )

newbiestangowner
09-26-2018, 12:44 AM
Interesting

Buy A Mustang Program, now if only I can convince the office to buy one ( use it for team building?)

https://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/buy-a-mustang/

ZR
09-26-2018, 06:15 AM
Wouldn't that be cool.

RedSN
09-26-2018, 11:43 AM
that's pretty neat.
like arrive-and-drive go-kart leagues.

shoeshine
09-26-2018, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkj2iPC6tg4

Where do we get these in Toronto?

Blackmare
09-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Not Toronto, but Alberta - http://www.rallysport.ca/safety/cg-lock.htm
You should try DaSilva Racing first though and see if they can help source.

shoeshine
09-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Ok I’ll try them,
thanks Scott!!

Mustang4
09-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Just some road course reading/ resource / video tutorials

**if you scroll down to bottom of page there are tutorials on various subject matter**

https://driver61.com/uni/racing-line/

That was very informative. Will be spending some time on those other videos.

newbiestangowner
09-26-2018, 09:43 PM
That was very informative. Will be spending some time on those other videos.

[emoji106]The “more the merrier “ Brian if you ever want to put either Mustang through its paces next season [emoji106]

Mustang4
09-27-2018, 05:34 PM
[emoji106]The “more the merrier “ Brian if you ever want to put either Mustang through its paces next season [emoji106]

That’s the plan. I’ll be picking up a helmet and seeing about some driver training courses as well so I can enjoy myself more.The Fox Is all set up for the track but I might sell it and just go with my 2018 GT. We’ll see.

newbiestangowner
09-28-2018, 12:02 PM
That’s the plan. I’ll be picking up a helmet and seeing about some driver training courses as well so I can enjoy myself more.The Fox Is all set up for the track but I might sell it and just go with my 2018 GT. We’ll see.

:highfive:

NickD came out as well- if Norm( Slick_89_Hatch) comes out we would have strong rep from Burly ;)

Speaking to fastEd he mentioned to check out this as one of numerous options

http://hansoninternationaldriving.com

Mustang4
09-28-2018, 10:06 PM
:highfive:

NickD came out as well- if Norm( Slick_89_Hatch) comes out we would have strong rep from Burly ;)

Speaking to fastEd he mentioned to check out this as one of numerous options

http://hansoninternationaldriving.com
Thanks I’ll check it out.

1BAD92LX
10-01-2018, 11:05 AM
This is the time of year to check Kijiji for used slicks for next year.

newbiestangowner
03-12-2019, 01:48 AM
Time is approaching....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOdFihA0Qo

The track looks familiar :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsxfTJiTVw

newbiestangowner
03-12-2019, 02:23 AM
one for you Scrape :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JALQO7rLRw

ZR
03-12-2019, 06:52 AM
Great post.

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 02:40 AM
old video for s197 owners in case you have not seen it

https://youtu.be/DOOS1Clt6KQ

Scrape
04-25-2019, 12:27 PM
This video is the one that made me go :dejection::fight1::cower: before I chose my ride. GT350 vs M2.

one for you Scrape :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JALQO7rLRw

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 08:20 PM
Time is approaching....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kOdFihA0Qo

The track looks familiar :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsxfTJiTVw

had a stinger stalking me this morning - I didn't know - was too much heavy frost on the roads to play tho

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 08:25 PM
had a stinger stalking me this morning - I didn't know - was too much heavy frost on the roads to play tho

At least it was a stinger
Kia Rio ‘s stalk me lol - I don’t mess with them !

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 08:34 PM
old video for s197 owners in case you have not seen it

https://youtu.be/DOOS1Clt6KQ

that was a good one newbie i enjoyed that...thanks for sharing!

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 08:36 PM
At least it was a stinger
Kia Rio ‘s stalk me lol - I don’t mess with them !

i get that too had a hypo Juke lately but i think he finally killed it i haven't seen it in about a week and a half

newbiestangowner
04-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Some reading/ tutorials and other stuff
Not sure if there is a section for autocross
Posted before, just bumping it up

https://driver61.com/uni/

hammerhead
04-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Some reading/ tutorials and other stuff
Not sure if there is a section for autocross
Posted before, just bumping it up

https://driver61.com/uni/

I was really impressed with the watts link because i will be installing one on the fox - it made total sense on the humpy twisty descend in the video over the panhard...

Whitehot
04-26-2019, 06:29 AM
BFG R1 tires.

Once you experience an R Comp tire on the track, there is no going back. Once warmed up, difference in traction over even a good street tire is night and day. Car will turn in places you could never have imagined. Got a little over two full seasons on my last set so not ridiculously expensive.

So, I m not into running slicks or dedicated road course tires, but what would be next best Street tire that ll do really well on the road course?? I m almost ready for tires, have the Nitto Extreme I believe, and wondering if something better all around ??

ZR
04-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Shoot Fast Ed a message, he's on top of the hottest street tires for dual purpose.

Stephen06GT
04-26-2019, 07:32 AM
So, I m not into running slicks or dedicated road course tires, but what would be next best Street tire that ll do really well on the road course?? I m almost ready for tires, have the Nitto Extreme I believe, and wondering if something better all around ??

I ran the first gen Nitto 555 for several years and was very pleased with their performance. The second gen 555s are supposed to be even better. Many have also found good results with the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Both the Nitto and the Firestone are fairly budget friendly. If you want a step up, then the Michelin Sport Cup series would be an option.

m2m
04-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Check out the Hankook RS4. Just got them and cant wait to test them at Mosport. Great reviews super sticky and long life.

newbiestangowner
05-14-2019, 10:34 PM
https://driver61.com/blog/circuit-driving-in-the-rain/

Going through my in car video- like a stubborn sob I tried sticking to the dry line lol

Stephen06GT
05-14-2019, 10:48 PM
https://driver61.com/blog/circuit-driving-in-the-rain/

Going through my in car video- like a stubborn sob I tried sticking to the dry line lol

Now you tell us? ;)

newbiestangowner
05-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Now you tell us? ;)

I do tell everyone that I’m slow lol

ZR
05-15-2019, 06:38 AM
Blew by me.

fast Ed
05-15-2019, 10:41 AM
Track days like Monday were when I really loved the old Taurus SHO I had about 7-8 years ago ... not much torque down low, lots of weight over the drive wheels, and a long wheelbase for great stability. Especially on good tires, that car was a blast in the wet.

newbiestangowner
06-06-2019, 12:41 AM
https://youtu.be/DGH3XoBXd0M

ZR
06-06-2019, 06:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifaWMxS1O10

ZR
06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
My take out of this, both fantastic cars with no bad choice between them, comes downs to which one tickles your fancy harder. Hell of a time to be a car enthusiast I keep saying.

Scrape
06-06-2019, 07:18 AM
Both cars were indeed fantastic. It seems that the 1LE was a bit more focused for track use while the Mustang is more streetable and comfortable for day to day use.

Rino
06-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Whats the difference in price? I think that should also have an impact.

Scrape
06-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Pricing is surprisingly very similar. Depending on Options the car is almost equal.

This Mustang is the Premium package with Active exhaust which is standard on the Camaro.
The base GT can be had for less if you want.

newbiestangowner
10-01-2019, 08:57 AM
https://youtu.be/nqmvMIZCkZ4

RedSN
10-01-2019, 06:11 PM
I knew they were closely matched, but I thought the Merc was being held up, and was finally going to get past the Audi on the long straight. That R8 must have GT500-like powah. ;)

newbiestangowner
10-01-2019, 06:28 PM
I knew they were closely matched, but I thought the Merc was being held up, and was finally going to get past the Audi on the long straight. That R8 must have GT500-like powah. ;)

Driver in front did not fold lol
I would have just said “ go ahead if you wanna be in front so badly “

newbiestangowner
10-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Just in case anyone interested

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191007/4a868381c1a5b581e74d7c17215db13a.jpg

$90

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191007/a029adb4f48737eae67e232ed898a101.jpg
$145

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191007/3dd13f9b38f2450a1c69db6ffee8c984.jpg
$90

As of today booked online, I think prices go up 10$(dusk)-15 (full day), day of or at gate

newbiestangowner
01-18-2020, 02:07 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200118/bda7bf3105abfbd27c83fc7b230eaf26.jpg
^ details to be posted^

If anyone looking for any additional track events

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200118/daca5bb86b36dc283c4e1088514751b6.jpg

https://www.speedtherapy.com/

Zippy
02-10-2020, 01:45 PM
Been looking at potentially putting brake ducts on my car and have been doing a bunch of reading and watching some videos. Found this one pretty interesting. Basically on the front, they have a 4" brake duct and the other side a brake deflector. The results are pretty interesting. Shows the temps at the end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj8jQTrqQEQ

If I could somehow mount one to a sn95... it would save a bunch of fucking around with ducts. Sounds like the main downside to brake ducts is that they don't last any amount of time (eventually put a hole in them)

RedSN
02-10-2020, 02:04 PM
^^^if you figure out how to mount a pair of those to a FOX/SN95 front setup ....you better make several pairs.

Ghost Rider
02-10-2020, 03:12 PM
Rob has brake ducting on his SN95... shoot him a PM

Ghost Rider
02-10-2020, 03:32 PM

The GT3's are built to run equal, however teams can choose what aero package they want to use... looks like the R8 was running a lower downforce package you could see the Benz catching him at Flugplatz but then pull away through Kottenborn and Schwedenkreuz but then catch him again on the high speed corner going into Aremberg where the Audi needs to lift sooner for the high speed left hander. You can watch him walk away even in the draft up the mountain through Kesselchen. The Benz couldn't get by even with side draft. If the R8 hadn't have been held up by traffic exiting Galgenkopf, he would have drove away on Döttinger Höhe easy. But if the Benz were able to get out front I think he'd be able to gain enough in the twisties to hold off the charging R8 on the straights...

Zippy
02-10-2020, 06:36 PM
^^^if you figure out how to mount a pair of those to a FOX/SN95 front setup ....you better make several pairs.

I'm on it boss! I bet with some messing around you would make it work. The biggest flaw I'm thinking of it is basically getting that air to the brakes. Since the s550's have a under tray ... it is deflecting that air to the brakes a lot easier then a sn95 would be.

Zippy
02-10-2020, 06:43 PM
From what I've read, depending on your brake setup and how hard you are pushing, there is a huge benefit to running a "brake cooling system".
- Longer Rotor/Pad life
- Longer Brake fluid life (don't boil fluid)
- Better brake pedal feel for longer (not boiling fluid)
- Increase wheel bearing life
- Lower's rim & Tire temperature ... less brake heat = less heat to surrounding parts

Some of these things might be a stretch but in certain circumstances I could see them all being true.

Rob has brake ducting on his SN95... shoot him a PM

I know ducts work... was just interested in not running a duct and deflecting air to the brakes. My perfectionist mindset is just thinking out loud and thought I'd share.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collections/s550-mustang-brakes/products/vorshlag-s550-brake-cooling-deflector-kit

Here is the link to the actual product if anyone is interested... it sounds like it's a basic bolt on to S550's.

ZR
02-10-2020, 07:09 PM
I think that design is epic cool, eliminating all the hassle of hoses. Some really smart n creative peeps out there.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Projects/Vorshlag-2018-Mustang/i-V3Xsx9s/0/00cca929/M/IMG_5249-M.jpg

1BAD92LX
02-10-2020, 07:37 PM
“Cool” and simple idea. Love it
Attach it to the sway bar?

RedSN
02-10-2020, 07:43 PM
The ideal location for cooling duct intakes on the SN95 is to pop out the fog lights and use the holes. But I’m already using one of my fog lights for oil cooler cold air.
Wondering if it’s possible to scoop some air from under the car and deflect it towards the brake rotors?

https://photos.smugmug.com/94-Mustang/i-zb6g5Pd/0/1abcb294/S/front_zpsyj1z2qzz-S.jpg

Zippy
02-10-2020, 07:54 PM
“Cool” and simple idea. Love it
Attach it to the sway bar?

My first thought was mounting it to the shock. I think you'd want it to rotate with the wheel, no chance of cutting a tire then.

Ghost Rider
02-10-2020, 08:03 PM
From what I've read, depending on your brake setup and how hard you are pushing, there is a huge benefit to running a "brake cooling system".
- Longer Rotor/Pad life
- Longer Brake fluid life (don't boil fluid)
- Better brake pedal feel for longer (not boiling fluid)
- Increase wheel bearing life
- Lower's rim & Tire temperature ... less brake heat = less heat to surrounding parts

Some of these things might be a stretch but in certain circumstances I could see them all being true.

I know ducts work... was just interested in not running a duct and deflecting air to the brakes. My perfectionist mindset is just thinking out loud and thought I'd share.

https://vorshlag-store.com/collections/s550-mustang-brakes/products/vorshlag-s550-brake-cooling-deflector-kit

Here is the link to the actual product if anyone is interested... it sounds like it's a basic bolt on to S550's.

oh my bad, I guess I misread, I thought you were trying to figure out how to run ducting

Zippy
02-10-2020, 08:35 PM
Wondering if it’s possible to scoop some air from under the car and deflect it towards the brake rotors?

Yeah, I think that's the only way to make the deflector work.

Like, look at this video of this company making one for subaru's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=3uef88jUAzQ&feature=emb_lo go

Of course on there website they give the answer of "improve braking" but no numbers to back it up. I think the only way the deflector works is if you had someway to force air to it.

Zippy
02-10-2020, 08:46 PM
I think once I actually get my car, i'm going to mess around with some cardboard and make a undertray. ABS Plastic isn't all that expensive and can just make a template out of cardboard.
I've always wanted to try making something for these cars and I feel like there would be an improvement to downforce and possible fuel consumption. Every single new car out there, whether it be a high performance car or a mini van has some sort of plastic undertray... I know this cause they are a bitch for changing oils!!! lol!

The other thing that interests me personally is, when I had my 95 Miata, it had a undertray plastic thing like you see today. When I took it off and went for a drive on the highway in it, you could literally feel how different the car drove. It felt like the car was buffeting in the front. Yes the car weighed nothing (21xxlbs) but still interested in knowing if it would help at all on a heavier car. /shrugs

Sorry i like to nerd out on stuff like this. :)

RedSN
02-11-2020, 09:23 AM
Sorry i like to nerd out on stuff like this. :)

Digging this new SN95 prototyping attitude your are taking on. Keep it up!
You need a Race Car build thread.

ZR
02-11-2020, 09:30 AM
I remember that with the Miata, tray off made a dramatic difference.

ZR
02-11-2020, 09:31 AM

Gonna be hell of a build thread when he starts, ordered the Maximum catalog for it yesterday.

https://turn5.scene7.com/is/image/Turn5/maximum_motorsports?$transpProd$

Ghost Rider
02-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Gonna be hell of a build thread when he starts, ordered the Maximum catalog for it yesterday.

Nice!! Once he gets the catalog, he'll be able to start ordering some cool parts!! :D

Zippy
02-11-2020, 11:06 AM
Not sure if this has been posted or not... but check out this beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33oUOQwOKrI&t=

Ghost Rider
02-11-2020, 11:40 AM
pretty insane... wasn't the previous record like a 1:14 or 1:15 or something?

too bad they didn't have some out of car sounds... bet it sounds insane on flyby

Zippy
02-11-2020, 11:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxoZ2n80kx0

Fly by's at mosport. The car is insane.

Ghost Rider
02-11-2020, 12:02 PM
woh nice!! and holy crap he was way over the curbing in corner 1 near the end

fast Ed
02-11-2020, 12:02 PM
That's hauling. Tube frame Trans-Am series cars weren't going that quick yet in the late 80s / early 90s.

Zippy
02-11-2020, 07:12 PM

Name of the build thread will be "Road to lapping a red Cobra" muahahahaha

ZR
02-11-2020, 07:13 PM
^ So we'll be able to find it in the fiction section at Chapters.

ZR
02-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Anyone here running one of these in a S-197?
Cortex Racing.

https://cortexracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/torquearm600x200.png

Ghost Rider
02-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Name of the build thread will be "Road to lapping a red Cobra" muahahahaha

hmmm, should be a short thread

:D :D :D

jk... no offence to Red Cobra's

ZR
02-12-2020, 04:51 PM
OIL COOLER.

B&M Super cooler, spal fan with temp controlled fan switch

https://d2hw29brqn7o70.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/720x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/_/b_m-70297.jpg

ZR
02-12-2020, 04:53 PM
To eliminate the factory oil cooler / heater on the Cobra, started off with a 2V oil filter adapter that came with factory oil cooler, modded to suit including welded AN bungs

ZR
02-12-2020, 04:55 PM
Mounted inside the LF fender ahead of the tire.

ZR
02-14-2020, 11:52 PM
Found these, look like a great street / track wheel (Cortex Racing).

https://cortexracing.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/apex-silver-300x294.png

18×9.5″ ET35 APEX EC-7 Mustang Wheel

$334.00
Hub-Centric, light weight, durable

S197 and S550 fitment

These wheels even fits 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 with 15 inch Brembo brakes and other mustangs with 15 inch rotors even in the 18 inch size!

fast Ed
02-15-2020, 08:03 AM
They make 10” and 11” versions too. JRP in Oakville sells them, about $500 a corner up here.

ZR
02-15-2020, 08:12 AM
Had no idea Ed, makes em even more appealing.
Leaning towards the Mustang specific 19x10 all round.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4768/25137694437_26d0705f3d_b.jpg

ZR
02-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Oil cooler cont...................

Got a couple pms asking how well the oil cooler worked. In spite of a monster rad, low temp stat, upgraded intercooler + large reservoir for it and the rad plus an extra conservative track tune, could not keep engine temps anywhere close to under control both on the track or hot n steamy days on the street. Small cooler with no fan made a substantial difference in both coolant temps and IATs but still wasn't enough for a mega hot day in traffic or making laps. Larger version plus fan, doesn't matter the temp out side, keeps it's cool 100% in traffic and no longer see's the all so common dramatic drop in power on super hot days. On the track, no matter the temp outside or how hard it's pushed, no issue.

1BAD92LX
02-15-2020, 09:00 AM
That’s a great looking rim! Kind of a BBS race rim copy.

ZR
02-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Really like the looks plus no problem clearing big brakes.

fast Ed
02-15-2020, 11:39 AM
They have a couple of write-ups for S197 and S550 Mustangs on wheel and tire fitment too which are good for those people looking to max things out:

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005526493-S197-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005483093-S550-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

I'm looking at doing 19x11" with 305/30R19 all around on the 17, at least for a secondary set.

ZR
02-15-2020, 05:19 PM
Great info, thanks Ed.
Thinking 10" with 275-40x18 square.

newbiestangowner
02-15-2020, 05:21 PM
Great info, thanks Ed.
Thinking 10" with 275-40x18 square.

I was looking at that set up for track too

ZR
02-15-2020, 05:22 PM
It's a safe choice that is said to be a bolt on.
Wish they made same rims in offset for the Cobra as well.

Hutch
02-15-2020, 08:41 PM

$334.00

S197 and S550 fitment

These wheels even fits 2013-2014 Shelby GT500 with 15 inch Brembo brakes and other mustangs with 15 inch rotors even in the 18 inch size!

Apex makes a great flow formed wheel. Lots of guys in the states running them. Those wheels are on my wish list.

Zippy
02-15-2020, 11:32 PM
Was looking at wheels for my car, found it very interesting how much chrome weighs. Depending on the wheel size... chrome adds 2-3lbs per wheel. No chrome for the track wheels boys!

fast Ed
02-19-2020, 12:38 PM
Ross Bentley, a Canadian racer who got as far as Indycars but now does a lot of in-depth driver training and coaching (not just for racers) just released a video talking about how to pass and be passed at a performance driving event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNTH_ufciOk&feature=youtu.be

Zippy
02-20-2020, 06:16 PM
"slightly lift off the throttle to let the car by" *Looks at shelby owners*

Scrape
02-21-2020, 02:25 PM
There is a group by happening as well. Check this out.

"Two of our popular Group Buys for BMW and Ford Mustang have just kicked off. Pledge now to reserve your set of lightweight, wide, and tough track wheels and get them in time for the 2020 track season."

https://www.gangup.com/apex/apex-18-19-ec7-mustang-q1-2020.html?utm_source=Customers&utm_campaign=7b2a3dd780-EM200218-GB&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6ec7c83d31-7b2a3dd780-100660053&mc_cid=7b2a3dd780&mc_eid=4a163cdc94

https://www.gangup.com/media/groupdeals/deal/cache/13/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/d/r/drew-s197-1.jpg

$334.00

S197 and S550 fitment

Zippy
02-21-2020, 05:06 PM
Ou I like that bronze...

newbiestangowner
02-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Ou I like that bronze...

Me too ! Oh 18x10 don’t come in matte bronze
I’m looking at that wing too- over kill for TMP??? :)

Zippy
02-21-2020, 05:17 PM
Me too !
I’m looking at that wing too- over kill for TMP??? :)

You wouldn't want to do just a wing without doing a front splitter, you would upset the cars balance just putting on a huge wing like that.

ZR
02-21-2020, 08:58 PM
That bites, 18x10 matt bronze would have been my choice as well.

Scrape
02-23-2020, 10:32 AM
I want gold or bronze wheels for my car as well.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1937226&stc=1&d=1542246808

newbiestangowner
02-24-2020, 11:58 PM
Shannonville purchase
Not sure if already posted

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/sports-story/9864169-new-shannonville-motorsport-park-owner-has-big-plans/

ZR
02-25-2020, 08:23 AM
Had no idea, thanks for posting.

Ghost Rider
02-25-2020, 09:52 AM
I thought of bronze too at first... until I realized it made the car look like a Subaru :( Then I quickly gave up on that idea!

Hutch
02-25-2020, 08:37 PM
That bites, 18x10 matt bronze would have been my choice as well.

Come on now, does it really matter for track wheels? You could always paint them. I really don’t want track wheels that I really like because Then I’ll be ticked if I wreck them. That’s what I liked about my foxbody track day wheels. Didn’t give a crap about them.

Mustang4
02-25-2020, 09:15 PM
Nice vid, Ed. Looks like there is a good series of them to review.

fast Ed
02-25-2020, 10:57 PM
Come on now, does it really matter for track wheels? You could always paint them. I really don’t want track wheels that I really like because Then I’ll be ticked if I wreck them. That’s what I liked about my foxbody track day wheels. Didn’t give a crap about them.

Exactly ... best colour to go with it something matte black or gunmetal, whatever is closest to the colour of the dust that your particular brake pads generate!

Zippy
02-25-2020, 11:23 PM

Because he wants the car to look good on the track? lol.

newbiestangowner
02-25-2020, 11:26 PM
Exactly lol, have to have some style , some panache :)

I’d rock those bronze wheels and with the ring of fire coming from my brakes ouuu now that’s style lol

ZR
02-25-2020, 11:44 PM
Hell ya.

1BAD92LX
02-26-2020, 08:45 AM
Hey Newbie, what front splitter is on that? Looks awesome

RedSN
02-26-2020, 09:39 AM
...whatever is closest to the colour of the dust that your particular brake pads generate!
I need to find some silver brake pads.

newbiestangowner
02-26-2020, 09:56 AM
Hey Newbie, what front splitter is on that? Looks awesome

RTR kit. I think.

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/2012-gt-black-south-fl.897853/

Not my car Brad :)

RedSN
02-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Not my car Brad :)
Do you want us to photoshop your car into different palm tree locations?

Ghost Rider
02-26-2020, 10:40 AM
Do you want us to photoshop your car into different palm tree locations?

LOL!

Zippy
02-27-2020, 01:04 AM
Nerding out hard to this guys youtube channel. I'm very interested in how air works around a car and how to make downforce.
Also shows you that adding a wing to your car without a splitter on the front is a big no no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-pQkHM7Kc&t=

Zippy
02-27-2020, 10:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgpawejpi6o&t=

1BAD92LX
02-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Is/was there a thread on helmets? I need a new one since I plan on going to CTMP this year.
Any recommendations?

Ghost Rider
02-29-2020, 04:10 PM
Is/was there a thread on helmets? I need a new one since I plan on going to CTMP this year.
Any recommendations?

I think there were a few posts about helmets in this post if I remember correctly... I know that doesn't help much LOL but that's where I think they were haha

Zippy
02-29-2020, 04:33 PM
Just buy something sa2015. If you can afford to wait till the fall, sa2020 helmets come out october 1st. That would give you an extra 5years on the helmet. You're suppose to not keep the helmet no longer then 12years. So a sa2015 would essentially be 'no good' 2027.

1BAD92LX
02-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Mine is way out of date. It’s a motorcycle helmet I used go karting in 2005.
Looking at Racequip buckets

ZR
02-29-2020, 05:07 PM
Ross n I both have road race spec HJC helmets as does Stephen. Hell of a bang for the buck.

1BAD92LX
02-29-2020, 05:32 PM
HJC AR-10 ?

Stephen06GT
02-29-2020, 06:01 PM
HJC AR-10 ?

Yes.

fast Ed
02-29-2020, 06:28 PM
HJC are definitely good value, that's what my last helmet was. Only issue I experienced was some of the inside liner material starting to come apart a bit. Most of you guys will be using your helmet a lot less hours per year on average and I've heard that HJC has addressed the problem.

hammerhead
02-29-2020, 07:19 PM
I have an HJC helmet fits snug and comfy as Rick said great deal for the money - I don't compete much so it was good value and gets me into the autoX… ordered online and it arrived fast

ZR
02-29-2020, 08:03 PM
While price was really good, as said above, super comfortable helmet.

Mustang4
03-01-2020, 09:28 PM
Mine is way out of date. It’s a motorcycle helmet I used go karting in 2005.
Looking at Racequip buckets

I just got a Racequip helmet for Christmas so I'm set for TMP. Very comfortable and great visibility, and very affordable.

https://ca.bicknellracingproducts.com/3X-LARGE-PRO15-SA2015---WHITE/item/RQP273118

newbiestangowner
03-01-2020, 10:14 PM
Using racequip as well

1BAD92LX
03-02-2020, 12:30 PM
The lack of venting in the racequip is pushing me towards the HJC

newbiestangowner
03-02-2020, 12:55 PM
The lack of venting in the racequip is pushing me towards the HJC

True

3 slits bottom back
2 top back
None front hence removal of shield
Especially if you running in hot summer months

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200302/63d8eff02e37e790ff37e31e1317a52d.jpg

RedSN
03-03-2020, 09:42 AM
^^^you pick up a new racing sponsor for this season?

newbiestangowner
03-03-2020, 10:12 AM
GLB apparently was taken :)

Oh u missed it - Collective Arts was giving away free beer last Friday at Union Station

bbriann
03-03-2020, 10:37 AM
Does anyone use the visor when in car drag racing?
I removed mine but thinking probably should put it back on...

ZR
03-03-2020, 02:11 PM
Always open here.

1BAD92LX
03-03-2020, 02:34 PM
My visor is always open on the road course. Drag race wise, it would only be closed for a couple minutes. For the burn out and the run down the strip.
Surprised the drag strip doesn't require a closed visor.

fast Ed
03-03-2020, 02:59 PM
I try to keep mine closed most of the way, just in case ... you only get one set of eyes.

bbriann
03-03-2020, 02:59 PM
Ya I did look for some sort rule on requiring visor down but could not find any mention of it.
I also ordered light weight racequip race shoes. Was wearing safety shoes that are definitely heavier. Now hope race shoes are heavy enough to hammer in the pretty darn stiff clutch...but the spec 3 puck clutch velvet slips and never smells even when deliberately slipping, the material they use is like no other. The ram clutch few years ago welded itself to flywheel and when pushed in clutch after burn out the car kept going...

G-ForceJunkie
03-04-2020, 05:23 PM
I try to keep mine closed most of the way, just in case ... you only get one set of eyes.
I keep mine open, but I'm going to try it closed this year. Every person I've talked to that has been in an accident always says they wish they kept their visor closed.

fast Ed
03-04-2020, 05:35 PM
Exactly ... I've had small debris come off the track and find its way through the window and the visor opening before. You get used to running with it down, just have it cracked a bit for some air flow. I got a tinted visor last year as well so now I don't have to jam sunglasses in there too.

RedSN
03-04-2020, 05:48 PM
And that’s why they call him The Stig

Zippy
03-04-2020, 07:33 PM
We were talking about it at wingnight. Here's the place I was talking about that makes a wack of carbon fibre stuff. Out of my budget but some really cool stuff for a lot of different cars.

https://ajhartmanaero.com/

bbriann
03-04-2020, 09:25 PM
Yes fast ed that's why thinking about starting use visor....

fast Ed
03-17-2020, 09:04 AM
Got an email this morning from the Ross Bentley mailing list that he has published a 25 page guide for newcomers to performance driving events. I haven't perused it yet but I'm sure there will be some great tips in there for people who have never done this before, or maybe have a few times and are still feeling a bit daunted with the experience.

Free download here, they just want your email address. They're good for not spamming the crap out of you with all kinds of useless shite.

https://hpde-1st-timer.com/

cheers
Ed

Gabe
03-17-2020, 04:18 PM
Ordered an oil cooler w/ fan (same as ZR posted) and Improved Racing remote filter and oil cooler adaptor with thermostat to be used in conjunction with MM oil filter relocation kit already installed on the car to keep the car cool on track days.

https://www.holley.com/products/cooling/oil_and_transmission_coolers/supercoolers/parts/70297
http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-cooler-adapters/remote-engine-transmission-oil-filter-mount-with-thermostat-p-781.html

ZR
03-17-2020, 04:47 PM
Epic purchase.

ZR
03-18-2020, 09:25 AM
Trailer insurance, while liability wise it's covered by the tow vehicle that does not put any coverage on the trailer itself. You'll be pleasantly surprised to know comp (fire n theft) on it is around $60 while full coverage including collision would put you around $100 for the year (5-6k-ish trailer value).
Don't get caught going out one morning n seeing it's gone then kick yourself for not at least having comp.

bbriann
03-18-2020, 04:42 PM
Its nice government mto changed couple years ago no longer requires you to safely check the trailer and tow vehicle every year...

hsousa88
03-18-2020, 04:45 PM
Its nice government mto changed couple years ago no longer requires you to safely check the trailer and tow vehicle every year...

Not sure if sarcasm or not..

But I’ve seen some rickity fuckin trailers out there

bbriann
03-18-2020, 05:37 PM
Not sure if sarcasm or not..

But I’ve seen some rickity fuckin trailers out there
No not sarcasm...every trailer capable of towing a car had to be safely checked every 365 days I including the designated tow vehicle...Unless it had permanent sleeping washroom etc...then a one time safety and that was it...new or old that was the rules...
I know guy with very new trailer got charged out date safety sticker got charged going to and from track...
Now one time safety and that's it for all

hammerhead
03-18-2020, 09:58 PM
No not sarcasm...every trailer capable of towing a car had to be safely checked every 365 days I including the designated tow vehicle...Unless it had permanent sleeping washroom etc...then a one time safety and that was it...new or old that was the rules...
I know guy with very new trailer got charged out date safety sticker got charged going to and from track...

This is true - but they still need to be maintained - they can still pull over and inspected or weigh - also if your are carrying tools with you they will integrated to make sure your not a business - business still needs the annual safety inspection on all commercial vehicles.... If you have old stickers on your personal equipment best to remove them.

Darkhorse
03-20-2020, 12:08 PM

do you have a link for that?

bbriann
03-20-2020, 05:49 PM
do you have a link for that?

Here is MTO link.......copy and paste

https://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=29547&language=en

ZR
03-20-2020, 06:08 PM
My understanding, his out of date safety must have pertained to a truck n trailer combo beyond the max personal use wt limit.

bbriann
03-20-2020, 06:11 PM
My understanding, his out of date safety must have pertained to a truck n trailer combo beyond the max personal use wt limit.
Yes his truck and trailer stickers were out date a couple years ago...but today the stickers are not required and are removed.

ZR
03-20-2020, 06:14 PM
Thought you meant his being issue a ticket was post changes, got it now.
Peeps gotta be sure to remove old stickers to avoid possible hassle.

Zippy
03-26-2020, 07:29 PM
If you're looking to buy carbon fibre pieces for your car, check this out before you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwvm7z8Fcoc

hammerhead
03-27-2020, 07:26 AM
First two PITL auto-cross events scheduled for May 2020 have been cancelled in light of the current events.... PITL (Push It Too the Limit)

UnlimitedTraction
03-31-2020, 10:51 PM
I was going to go to NCM and Sebring this month but both events got cancelled :( I bet this pandemic is going to last until at minimum July.

hammerhead
04-01-2020, 07:32 AM
I was going to go to NCM and Sebring this month but both events got cancelled :( I bet this pandemic is going to last until at minimum July.

that would have been an awesome trip...

fast Ed
04-01-2020, 08:36 AM
Problem with Sebring is that you need to replace every suspension part and tighten up every fastener in the car again once you're done ... it's VERY bumpy! LOL

Fun circuit though.

cheers
Ed

UnlimitedTraction
05-18-2020, 01:44 PM
These are the track days that I will be doing :) I am hoping they all go through...

UnlimitedTraction
05-27-2020, 07:18 PM

UnlimitedTraction
05-27-2020, 07:19 PM

Gabe
06-15-2020, 09:18 AM
http://speed.academy/100-tread-wear-track-tire-review-nankang-ar1-maxxis-rc1-toyo-r888r/?doing_wp_cron=1592226322.5070419311523437500000

Good comparison of 100 treadwear tires, completed at TMP

RedSN
06-15-2020, 02:33 PM
^^^that explains why Brad was so quick!

fast Ed
06-15-2020, 02:59 PM
Looks like they have some bigger sizes now too that would suit S197 and S550, 275/35R19 and 305/30R19. We can still order these through Fastco in Quebec.

1BAD92LX
06-15-2020, 03:41 PM
^^^that explains why Brad was so quick!

mine are 80 tread wear......so 20% faster lol

RedSN
06-15-2020, 07:06 PM
...so you’re keeping up with your father then

1BAD92LX
07-11-2020, 09:49 AM
The speed gap has closed slightly, at TMP anyway.

Good brake rotor info
http://speed.academy/rotor-one-two-piece-how-to-choose-the-right-disc-brakes-for-your-needs-and-budget/

Zippy
07-11-2020, 10:18 PM
Interesting thoughts on why they do the cross drilling the way they do.