PDA

View Full Version : Drive Clean............is it ending today?

ZR
09-28-2018, 06:57 AM
Fawk I hope so but I do have a twist. Like to see on road enforcement stepped up that would better target diesels rolling coal and vehicles that are obviously gross polluters.

The Ontario government (https://globalnews.ca/tag/ontario-government/) is set to make a “major announcement” on the future of the Drive Clean (https://globalnews.ca/tag/drive-clean/) vehicle emissions testing program.

<section class="ad is-loaded" id="div-gpt-gnca-ads-6872-300250-2" data-google-query-id="CIG98rXE3d0CFRZ0AQoddTgEwg" data-load-time="1538132056329" style="box-sizing: border-box;">“Are you sick and tired of waiting in line for the emissions test your car doesn’t even need?” Premier Doug Ford (https://globalnews.ca/tag/doug-ford/) said in a video posted on a Progressive Conservative Party Twitter account on Thursday evening.</section>
“Stay tuned for a major announcement regarding Drive Clean. Help is on its way.”
READ MORE: Ontario to launch pilot project to have Drive Clean emissions test done remotely (https://globalnews.ca/news/3776456/ontario-drive-clean-remote-tests/)
Ford, along with Environment, Conservation and Parks Minister Rod Phillips and Transportation Minister John Yakabuski, are set to make the announcement during a news conference Friday morning at an auto repair shop in Toronto’s west end.
The Drive Clean program tests emissions every two years on cars and light-duty trucks over seven years old, but critics have called for the program to be scrapped entirely.
READ MORE: Newer cars almost never fail Drive Clean. Why keep testing them? (https://globalnews.ca/news/1186030/newer-model-cars-almost-never-fail-driveclean-government-data-shows/)
During the 2016 provincial budget, the Ontario Liberal government announced it would scrap the $30 program fee. Last year the Liberals proposed a pilot project that would allow testing remotely through onboard diagnostics. At the time, the government said the program resulted in cleaner air as it contributed to reducing emissions.
Drive Clean previously came under fire for amassing multi-million-dollar surpluses, even though it was supposed to be a revenue neutral program.

FABMAN
09-28-2018, 07:00 AM
Man I hope so, but the cost of drive clean has already been added to our sticker so I guess this will just be another “service” we pay for and get nothing. Hope Doug makes this right.

ZR
09-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Cringe every time I have to let someone else put their paws on my car, maybe a small price to pay??

stangstevers
09-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Remove that BS that does nothing today... Make gas powered lawn mowers illegal, change the work week to 4 days instead of 5 (plus force flex hours) and incentivize businesses to encourage telecommuting for roles that can do it.

Boom a shit ton less pollution and less cars on the highways during rush hour.

At the same time, make a bigger hammer for those who opt to pollute. Should be immediate impoundment and $10,000 fine for removing any SMOG equipment on cars, rolling coal, etc... Can't pay the 10 grand, crush the car! For this hobby to survive, there needs to be some smarter thinking around pollution. There's nothing like following a classic car that spews black smoke and even makes you smell like shit for being 4 cars behind. As more and more people waken to the effects of pollution the more this hobby will be seen as "knuckle dragging idiots" with old cars. We need to stop this from happening and it starts at home. That's why I am adamant about my 87 fox having all the SMOG working. I know I'm against the grain but it irks me to see kids removing cats and airpumps and EGR because "duuuuhhhh it gives 20 HP" or worse, carburator conversions while not knowing how to tune it so they dump a 650CFM with mechanical secondaries right out of the box onto their 100% stock bottom end 5.0L LMAO... Lower power, worse fuel economy but "duhhhhhhh EFI sucks 'cause it haz too many wirez"...

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 07:48 AM
They upped the licence sticker by $30 a year last year...They just moved the cow(the cash one!!).Now paying double what drive clean was....at least no hassle of going and getting it done.

Scrape
09-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Let's hope things come through positive.

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Remove that BS that does nothing today... Make gas powered lawn mowers illegal, change the work week to 4 days instead of 5 (plus force flex hours) and incentivize businesses to encourage telecommuting for roles that can do it.

Boom a shit ton less pollution and less cars on the highways during rush hour.

At the same time, make a bigger hammer for those who opt to pollute. Should be immediate impoundment and $10,000 fine for removing any SMOG equipment on cars, rolling coal, etc... Can't pay the 10 grand, crush the car! For this hobby to survive, there needs to be some smarter thinking around pollution. There's nothing like following a classic car that spews black smoke and even makes you smell like shit for being 4 cars behind. As more and more people waken to the effects of pollution the more this hobby will be seen as "knuckle dragging idiots" with old cars. We need to stop this from happening and it starts at home. That's why I am adamant about my 87 fox having all the SMOG working. I know I'm against the grain but it irks me to see kids removing cats and airpumps and EGR because "duuuuhhhh it gives 20 HP" or worse, carburator conversions while not knowing how to tune it so they dump a 650CFM with mechanical secondaries right out of the box onto their 100% stock bottom end 5.0L LMAO... Lower power, worse fuel economy but "duhhhhhhh EFI sucks 'cause it haz too many wirez"...

had no luck finding a replacement for the seized air pump on my '79...sometimes not easy to find parts - also have a gen3 iroc the cooling sensor I need discontinued will be difficult to keep cars original hence if your collecting on speculation - even after market is discontinuing some parts for the early fox's say 79-84 no interest left and moving on to newer models

ZR
09-28-2018, 08:09 AM
^ Rebuilder can give your old pump new life.

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 08:10 AM
drive clean really doesn't make sense anymore - most cars now run very poorly when throwing codes, the computers in cars now will put bad vehicles out of service...

ZR
09-28-2018, 08:11 AM
^ They've know exactly that for some years now but have continued regardless. Look, served it's purpose but ship has long since sailed.

RedSN
09-28-2018, 08:27 AM
“major announcement”
“Are you sick and tired of waiting in line for the emissions test your car doesn’t even need?”
“Stay tuned for a major announcement regarding Drive Clean. Help is on its way.”
Ontario to launch pilot project to have Drive Clean emissions test done remotely

Not getting rid of it. Sounds like they are just going to have you do the scan yourself and e-mail it in.

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 08:47 AM
I new there was a catch....lol

True Blue
09-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Not getting rid of it. Sounds like they are just going to have you do the scan yourself and e-mail it in.

Last year the Liberals proposed a pilot project that would allow testing remotely through onboard diagnostics. I don't think Doug will follow through on a Liberal's project.

Laffs
09-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Fuck. I was hoping it was gone so I could register my car again lol.

RedSN
09-28-2018, 09:01 AM
I don't think Doug will follow through on a Liberal's project.
Hope you're right. Guess we'll just have to "stay tuned" :facepalm:

True Blue
09-28-2018, 09:48 AM
https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ontario-waving-goodbye-to-drive-clean

Drive Clean appears headed for the scrap yard.

The Ontario government is expected to announce Friday morning that it will end the program that has been controversial with drivers from the start.

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 10:33 AM
what time is the announcement?

RedSN
09-28-2018, 10:40 AM
in 5 minutes

stay tuned

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 10:42 AM
:thumbsup:

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 10:49 AM
on now

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 10:51 AM
End of drive clean program. YAY!!!! Drive clean no longer required!!

True Blue
09-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Fucking awesome!!! Good-bye Drive Clean!!!

WTF
09-28-2018, 10:55 AM
says as of April 1st 2019 it's done

so...my scenario

Morgan is supposed to have an etest so I can get my plate sticker....b-day in January

but...the car is stored until May

so I'm just gonna wait to get my sticker until May 2019

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 10:56 AM
My b-day in March, don't think I needed next year anyway...BONUS TIME!!!!!!!!!

Laffs
09-28-2018, 10:56 AM
FUCK YES.

MUSTANGS GETTING REGISTERED AGAIN EFFECTIVE APRIL 2019. THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.

It's beer o clock now!

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 11:01 AM
a buck a beer - no drive clean - no motorcycle helmet - smoke all the pot you want - what the hell is going on....lol what's next - free gas

92redragtop
09-28-2018, 11:03 AM
Did they remove the fee that was embedded in the plate sticker? That would be true rejection of the smoke and mirrors policy of the former government.

StAnger
09-28-2018, 11:04 AM
I wonder how long until the left protests this too.

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Did they remove the fee that was embedded in the plate sticker? That would be true rejection of the smoke and mirrors policy of the former government.

Of course not. Happy program gone. but still dog and pony show if that part is not reversed as well. Popular politics maybe?

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 11:27 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/premier-doug-ford-ending-drive-clean-plan/ar-BBNFvAb?li=AAggNb9

92redragtop
09-28-2018, 11:33 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/premier-doug-ford-ending-drive-clean-plan/ar-BBNFvAb?li=AAggNb9

Yup still smoke and mirrors (there is a 30-day comment period so time to contact the government and at least let them know that taxpayers, some at least, are aware we were still paying for it somewhere else). Now it's just a tax we pay with no reciprocating benefit/service:

That’s because the previous Liberal government eliminated the $30 test fees last year, but Queen’s Park still had to foot the tab.

Created by former Tory premier Mike Harris in 1999, Drive Clean has long been a bone of contention for motorists because most vehicles passed their emissions tests.

Successive PC and Liberal governments had resisted the temptation to halt the program because it annually kept 335 tonnes of pollutants out of the air.

Cars and trucks are responsible for one third of all greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.

Frank Notte, of the Trillium Automobile Dealers Association, praised Ford for delivering “good news.”

“It cuts red tape, and saves time and money,” said Notte.

“What started out as a temporary program in 1999 to clean the environment, turned into a permanent program that eventually cleaned out taxpayers’ wallets instead.”

Laffs
09-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Man I'm so pumped still. Can't wait to drive the car again, actually have renewed interest to clean up and do some mods over the winter in preparation.

UnlimitedTraction
09-28-2018, 11:53 AM
Yay! Now I don't have to worry about my headers lol

newbiestangowner
09-28-2018, 11:56 AM
Yay! Now I don't have to worry about my headers lol

Now I CAN put on headers lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stangstevers
09-28-2018, 12:16 PM
I wonder if the left is going to tell us the world is going to end because of this. lol

Biz
09-28-2018, 12:43 PM
You know the Libs will find issue with this...
*goes to the CBC FB page

I think this is the best thing he's done yet.

RedSN
09-28-2018, 01:23 PM
“What started out as a temporary program in 1999...... ”
Temporary? Did they tell all the garages that installed rollers that?

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 01:36 PM
sometime in the 40's I think taxes where deemed temporary...lol no end in sight

NickD
09-28-2018, 01:38 PM
I am happy as well but keep in mind ending the drive clean program does not mean the MTO cannot pull you over for no cats and the car will still need them to pass a safety.

I passed e-tests with two different headers and cats, cams, blower etc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mavrrrick
09-28-2018, 01:46 PM
But tourism is about to take a dump cause of all the loud cars!!! LMFAO!!! What a doufus!!!

92redragtop
09-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Temporary? Did they tell all the garages that installed rollers that?

LOL I don't think so but I believe they would have been fully depreciated on their balance sheets (probably 7 - 10 years) by the time they switched to the OBDII test only.

Laffs
09-28-2018, 02:38 PM
I am happy as well but keep in mind ending the drive clean program does not mean the MTO cannot pull you over for no cats and the car will still need them to pass a safety.

I passed e-tests with two different headers and cats, cams, blower etc

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm fine with all that, I'll happily put some hi flows on the ride

RedSN
09-28-2018, 02:44 PM
LOL I don't think so but I believe they would have been fully depreciated on their balance sheets (probably 7 - 10 years)...
fair enough.

...by the time they switched to the OBDII test only.
another 7-10 years? LOL.

I guess these guys are out of business now
http://www.emissioncheck.ca/

Emission Check is a Test Only emission testing facility that has performed hundreds of thousands of emissions tests on virtually every type of vehicle registered in Ontario.
Never liked the Drive Clean program, but at least these guys made it as painless as possible.

Laffs
09-28-2018, 02:55 PM

Never liked the Drive Clean program, but at least these guys made it as painless as possible.

Hopefully they can retool for the new HD testing

92redragtop
09-28-2018, 03:02 PM
fair enough.

another 7-10 years? LOL.

There are a lot of test only places I've seen in Brampton - they'll all be gone now. They made their money all those years on the rollers though.

Darkhorse
09-28-2018, 05:39 PM
Even if they kill this program, you still have the MTO out there.

Everyone on social media be like cat delete, fender exit...…….this ain't the states.

92redragtop
09-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Even if they kill this program, you still have the MTO out there.

Everyone on social media be like cat delete, fender exit...…….this ain't the states.

It's possible they can quietly increase enforcement via MOE on the roads once this program is gone.

Laffs
09-28-2018, 05:59 PM
It's possible they can quietly increase enforcement via MTO on the roads once this program is gone.

It won't be quietly. My sister works for MOE and they already circulated emails stating that enforcement for non compliant passenger vehicles will be ongoing and possibly ramped up. This just makes it easier to get my car with an aftermarket tune registered, I have EGR and all that still installed and will be adding a catted Basani mid pipe prior to driving.

92redragtop
09-28-2018, 06:01 PM
It won't be quietly. My sister works for MOE and they already circulated emails stating that enforcement for non compliant passenger vehicles will be ongoing and possibly ramped up. This just makes it easier to get my car with an aftermarket tune registered, I have EGR and all that still installed and will be adding a catted Basani mid pipe prior to driving.

They can easily ramp up, collect fines, etc and it would fly under the radar.

FABMAN
09-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Deleting cats and remove smog equipment on late model cars is just dumb. All it does is make the car smell, increase pollutants and provide no real performance gain. Anyone who does this still is just helping to feed the meathead stigma the car hobby has earned.

Glad to see the program gone, but unfortunately there will be dummies out there that will undoubtedly give the Libs, NDP and Green Party something to make an example of and put us in danger of it returning due to unfit emissions equipment.

Screw
09-28-2018, 07:33 PM
No doubt we will see a more aggressive MOE & MTO

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 08:36 PM
^ Rebuilder can give your old pump new life.

I will look into that was going to retro-fit one I have from an efi engine

Hutch
09-28-2018, 08:39 PM
Deleting cats and remove smog equipment on late model cars is just dumb. All it does is make the car smell, increase pollutants and provide no real performance gain. Anyone who does this still is just helping to feed the meathead stigma the car hobby has earned.

Glad to see the program gone, but unfortunately there will be dummies out there that will undoubtedly give the Libs, NDP and Green Party something to make an example of and put us in danger of it returning due to unfit emissions equipment.

I totally agree with you. A friend of mine doesn’t have cats on his car and if we go out for a cruise I can not drive behind him. The fumes are horrible. If your in the car you smell like gas when you get home. It is totally not worth it to not run cats. It just feeds the liberal fire and hurt the hobby for the rest of us.
As for the MTO, they are a complete joke. Tons of diesel trucks out there running illegal exhaust. The fines are not heavy enough and neither is the enforcement.
On a side note I think it rediculous that we don’t have annual safety inspections here. So many unsafe vehicle on the road. If you can’t afford to fix your car, you shouldn’t be driving one.

hammerhead
09-28-2018, 08:58 PM
it's funny how times change - we use to run 104 octane boost and Aviation fuel - having bad smelling exhaust was on the same level as loud exhaust - I have to agree with air quality tho it's kind of like the no smoking ban

Mellow Yellow
09-28-2018, 09:15 PM
sometime in the 40's I think taxes where deemed temporary...lol no end in sight

Actually brought in to help pay for WW1, as a temporary measure.......not!

stangstevers
09-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Taxes are good in theory. Problem now is what governments do with our collective money, they have way too much power.

stangstevers
09-29-2018, 11:37 AM
I totally agree with you. A friend of mine doesn’t have cats on his car and if we go out for a cruise I can not drive behind him. The fumes are horrible. If your in the car you smell like gas when you get home. It is totally not worth it to not run cats. It just feeds the liberal fire and hurt the hobby for the rest of us.
As for the MTO, they are a complete joke. Tons of diesel trucks out there running illegal exhaust. The fines are not heavy enough and neither is the enforcement.
On a side note I think it rediculous that we don’t have annual safety inspections here. So many unsafe vehicle on the road. If you can’t afford to fix your car, you shouldn’t be driving one.

I’ve been saying that for a long time. I get 50’s cars and even then I’d put modern engines like an LS with SMOG installed but those who throw everything away in a fox for example and run a 160 stat only to put the EECIV into limp mood not using any good strategies and resulting in a shitty running fox - then they say EFI sucks and end up with a 650 double pumper out of the box without a tune / proper jetting lol

Laffs
09-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Well just bought a fuck tonne o parts from for the Stang in preparation for spring. Douggie Ford stimulating the economy with this one!

Screw
09-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Idk man , I think we r gonna be in the hands of Geeen hornets blitzing , “ modified cars”

hammerhead
09-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Idk man , I think we r gonna be in the hands of Geeen hornets blitzing , “ modified cars”

yah has me wondering

Gr8Stang
09-29-2018, 08:02 PM
It's about time they canned his program!! Guess the recent government survey input was taken seriously? Glad I filled it out if so. :)

Still, they raised the renewal sticker brutally to cover the for the "free" e-test. Would be nice to get some relief on that, but I doubt it will happen.

Black Sheep
09-30-2018, 03:48 PM
:highfive::highfive::highfive:

Screw
09-30-2018, 05:04 PM
Wouldn’t cheer too loud , just saw a post on MTO Blitzes Fb page , they ended up stalking cars that went to the Hot Wheels Strada car show . So expect them to be at a meet near you :slap:

Minaccia
09-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Are these cops/mto for real, is this just a cash grab knowing we will be back even after we're fined, do these morons know the money raised for charities by every car club out there, do they know the car hobby employees endless amounts of people all over the world.

WTF, is with this province and country, if it wasn't for my wife I'd be living in Phoenix or go back to Calabria and take care of business by now.

Too much bullshit going on around here and our politicians are not doing what they should and us stupid ass voters aren't doing anything about that and we should be and this PC crap has to stop now.

Wouldn’t cheer too loud , just saw a post on MTO Blitzes Fb page , they ended up stalking cars that went to the Hot Wheels Strada car show . So expect them to be at a meet near you :slap:

hammerhead
09-30-2018, 05:18 PM

I was telling my son today to stay out of hot spots and busy street areas between 10-4 during the day -

Screw
09-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Bedroom community MOE MTO on a Sunday fkn trolls , temped to drive by so they can check the factory line lock ...piss me off . If I take the slow blue car I might be in trouble though :shrug:

Screw
09-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Well drove by lots of hot cars lots of nervous drivers waiting to exit and MOE MTO & YRP are in attendance! :(
Down the street from my place , of course I got ballz......in my wife’s RAV4 lol

Screw
09-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Maybe they were just directing traffic ...curious to hear how much bs was stirred up , huge variety of modded cars

Darkhorse
10-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Give with one hand.......and take back twice as hard with the other..........knew it.

Biz
10-01-2018, 03:59 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/jXVNTe/42797536_10156168150893863_7582899150614691840_n.j pg (https://ibb.co/cxFYZK)
dark peoms (https://poetandpoem.com/dark)

kbbroiler
04-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Okay got mine done today and I felt like I was waiting to exhale. What a feeling not to have to go through this bullshit anymore!