View Full Version : new hobby - electric guitar mods

stangstevers
10-01-2018, 11:27 AM
So I got this old MIM strat... I play it because I like the neck but it sounds muffled in certain pickup positions. So I'm thinking about putting in some Fat50's or Texas Special pickups and wiring it in differently with new pot for the tone... Never really did that sort of thing before.

Anyone else into modding their guitars?

mavrrrick
10-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Supercharge it....oooops, wrong thread.

RedSN
10-01-2018, 02:05 PM
You should design and build one from scratch!

While I was building my pool table in shop class, my buddy was building an electric guitar. Turned out real nice.

http://www.baileyguitars.co.uk/static/2013/03/IMG_0930-e1381148146363.jpg

stangstevers
10-01-2018, 02:55 PM
That's a whole other level... lol

RedSN
10-01-2018, 03:04 PM
Just thought since you are good at building stuff.
I watched him build it, seemed pretty easy. The hardest part seemed to be the cutting the groove for the truss-rod. I think he purchased the fret board. You can get pretty much any or all of the components online and just build a custom body.

stangstevers
10-01-2018, 03:16 PM
If I built my own, it would be sort of a Gibson archtop body and a Fender Strat maple neck (bolt-on). A P90 pickup at the bridge and a lipstick single coil and some sort of active humbucker pickup... most versatile guitar ever lol

Not sure what trem though...

StratGT
10-01-2018, 03:37 PM
So I got this old MIM strat... I play it because I like the neck but it sounds muffled in certain pickup positions. So I'm thinking about putting in some Fat50's or Texas Special pickups and wiring it in differently with new pot for the tone... Never really did that sort of thing before.

Anyone else into modding their guitars?

It's easy to do...I've modded many of my Strats.

There are plenty of guitar sites with wiring diagrams.

For Strats keep all the pots at 250K

Clutt gt
10-01-2018, 08:17 PM
If I built my own, it would be sort of a Gibson archtop body and a Fender Strat maple neck (bolt-on). A P90 pickup at the bridge and a lipstick single coil and some sort of active humbucker pickup... most versatile guitar ever lol

Not sure what trem though...

Well you fund the project an I would collaborate to build you a guitar body.
Something like this table I made.
I’ve seen a guy on instagram build guitars this way. Would love to try.