PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes things work out

Quicksilver
10-03-2018, 02:31 PM
My father in law drives a 2012 Lincoln MKZ with all wheel drive. He bought it new and it currently has 55000 km on it. HE is 88 years old. I've driven it to Florida 3 times, so at least 1/3 of the mileage is by me.

recently it was reluctant to go into reverse. My father in law(Harry) took it to my brother-in-law's(Shelly) mechanic. Shelley has been going to this guy for 20+ years. Harry hasn't been to a mechanic in decades because he's always had new cars. Shelley, who is a really great person (and a vice president of a major computer company), is not a car guy and has not got a clue about things mechanical.

the mechanic (who shall remain nameless) diagnosed it as a blown transfer case (the car has all wheel drive). He wanted $3000 plus tax to replace it. This was supposed to be a "family" discount.

They were about to give the go ahead, when my wife Rhonda heard about it. I guess my car-guy-ness must have rubbed off on her over the years, because she immediately questioned it. After some in-familia "discussion" the car was removed from said mechanic and towed to Heritage Ford(it was bought from Yonge Steeles Motors, whose service department was singularly unhelpful: their response was that it was time to trade it in). With Bill Aitken's oversight, the service manager diagnosed it as a faulty PTO. (To be honest, I didn't know an all wheel drive car had either item). The price was $3300 installed. Heritage offered an $800 discount because of Bill, and our continued patronage.
At this point, Rhonda got on the phone to the customer service department at Lincoln. After explaining that the the warranty ran out only 3 months and 3000 km ago, Lincoln took less than a day of deliberation to offer to cover half.
The upshot is that my father in law, who was prepared to pay $3000+ to the mechanic of 20 years, will now have to cover only $1250, because of my wife's intervention. Thanks are due to Heritage, Bill, Lincoln, and Heritage's service manager.

MUSTANGWOP
10-03-2018, 02:56 PM
It's nice to hear good outcomes from these situations.

Armen
10-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Awesome stuff.

ZR
10-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Bill, the folks at Heritage and a positive outcome.........would have expected no less.
Good to hear how it played out Steve.

Mustang4
10-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Glad it worked out for you.

Ponyryd
10-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Nice, but I think you mean ptu (power transfer unit), which is basically the same as transfer case :)

Gr8Stang
10-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Good to see Lincoln and the dealer step up. No doubt they'll maintain a happy customer.

RedSN
10-03-2018, 08:10 PM
So let me get this right: the original friend of a friend of a friend’s in-laws mechanic correctly diagnosed the problem, and quoted $300 less than the dealership? I don’t think he was trying to “cheat” the family.

Quicksilver
10-03-2018, 09:07 PM
So let me get this right: the original friend of a friend of a friend’s in-laws mechanic correctly diagnosed the problem, and quoted $300 less than the dealership? I don’t think he was trying to “cheat” the family.
The original quote was 3 grand plus tax and labour. Forgot to mention that. Also, he continually mentioned "transfer case" while the dealer called it a power Take off, or PTO. I was under the impression that they were two different things, although perhaps Ponyryd is correct.
Regardless, we're picking the car up tomorrow and the bill is $1275 tax in.

The Newmare
10-04-2018, 07:47 AM
good to hear.....maybe my little problem will work out too!

mavrrrick
10-04-2018, 09:27 AM
^^^???^^^

Scott
10-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Great news, I am sure your wife will not let you forget her input for sometime!

Ponyryd
10-04-2018, 02:52 PM
^^^???^^^

You really want to know about his “little problem”? I don’t

Darkhorse
10-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Very good of Heritage, and glad to hear Ford stepped up for half too.

But did they git r done in a half hour?

Quicksilver
10-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Very good of Heritage, and glad to hear Ford stepped up for half too.

But did they git r done in a half hour?

?

Quicksilver
11-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Update
After all that, my father in law (who turned 88 on Saturday) failed his driver's test and has decided to give up driving( not without a little "persuasion" from myself, my wife, and her brother: none of us would ride in the car with him driving for at least the last 15 years). He will "uber" his way around now.