PDA

View Full Version : Sobering reminder.

ZR
10-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Don't ever ever ever jack the car up and put yourself in harms way without an axle stand, this can happen in an instant.

A man was rushed to hospital in life-threatening condition after he was crushed by a car that he was doing some work on in North York.
The accident happened sometime early Friday morning in the garage of a home on Cook Road, which is located in the Village at York University.
Reports from the scene suggest that the man was working under the car in the garage of a home when a jack that was holding it up collapsed.

<iframe name="fsk_frame_splitbox" id="fsk_frame_splitbox" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: initial; border-style: none; outline: 0px; line-height: 1.6; vertical-align: baseline; width: 603px; height: 0px;"></iframe>

Paramedics say that the man, believed to be in his 30s, was taken to a trauma centre in life-threatening condition.

hammerhead
10-26-2018, 08:02 AM
I saw that on the news - second time I've seen this in the last 5 years - don't risk it - I always tell my kid this - I also tell him not to apply too much force much force if your under and the cars on stands - it can easily be knocked off the stands.

FABMAN
10-26-2018, 08:04 AM
That’s sad, guy was really young. Hope he pulls through but will likely never be the same. I wish people would take less unnecessary risks like that.

Scrape
10-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Just saw this on the news. Scary situation. I always put my floor jacks as additional support and never ever apply too much additional force. If it too much for take it to your trusty mechanic. ;)

Gr8Stang
10-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Heard it on the news as well and have to say I've been guilty of not putting jack stands under the car, particularly when doing the brakes (one corner at a time). Think I'll do it going forward. Just not worth the risk.

hsousa88
10-29-2018, 06:41 AM
Jack stands, a spare wheel.. something. Poor guy, hope he’s ok.

RedSN
10-29-2018, 09:16 AM
Paper napkin idea: what about putting safety locks on floor jacks?

Not sure how many of these accidents are hydraulic failures, or simply the jack slipping off car?

Laffs
10-29-2018, 09:28 AM

Not sure how many of these accidents are hydraulic failures, or simply the jack slipping off car?

It's a good elevator pitch, not sure how you'd integrate an arm to lock though. Again it comes down to the user, the "I'm only taking off a wheel, no need for stands" becomes "I'm only taking off a wheel, no need for the lock pin"

5.4MarkVIII
10-29-2018, 09:35 AM

I think it’s most likely a tip over issue. Vs a mechanical or hydrolic failure.

Watched a you tube vid where they tested the failure point of various jacks compared to a jack stand. All the jacks had a failure point of 2x the raiting vs the jack stand which was 5x

Probably a couple other factors would be cheap/ too small of jack. ie. 1000lbs rated jack on a 2500lbs car.

Jacks are very stable in line with them but not side to side. So when someone jacks from the side on an in even surface and fails to at the very least block the wheels

That being said any time I jack I put a stand at one point and leave the jack on the lifting point, just lower it enough for the stand to take the weight but leave the jack in place. That way if one fails/tips the other is there as a back up.

03svt
10-29-2018, 11:51 AM
I do the same thing Markviii does, jack stand under, lower jack to put weight on stand but I leave the jack in position as a back up.

Very sad, hopefully he’s ok.

saleen27c
10-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Very unfortunate accident. Hope this person pulls through. I, for one, am always extra cautious when working under the car. I use jack stands, the jack and place ramps under the wheels as extra security. Might be overkill....but i good peace of mind for me.

hammerhead
10-29-2018, 09:28 PM
I think it’s most likely a tip over issue. Vs a mechanical or hydrolic failure.

Watched a you tube vid where they tested the failure point of various jacks compared to a jack stand. All the jacks had a failure point of 2x the raiting vs the jack stand which was 5x

Probably a couple other factors would be cheap/ too small of jack. ie. 1000lbs rated jack on a 2500lbs car.

Jacks are very stable in line with them but not side to side. So when someone jacks from the side on an in even surface and fails to at the very least block the wheels

That being said any time I jack I put a stand at one point and leave the jack on the lifting point, just lower it enough for the stand to take the weight but leave the jack in place. That way if one fails/tips the other is there as a back up.

yes I had a 3 ton jack collapse sideways - only good for vertical loads

Silver LX
10-29-2018, 11:04 PM
Good reminder for sure. Had a friend almost loose vision in an eye while grinding the other day without safety glass's. Emergency surgery at st Mikes. Doctor said it was his lucky day. normally uses them but got him that one time. Life lessons.

I worked on the car this weekend and made sure i covered all basis after this post and the eye incident.

StAnger
10-30-2018, 07:30 AM
When I was young and dumber, I had a car fall off the jack while I was working on the brakes. I was lucky that I was quick enough to get my hands out of the way.

Pretty dramatic difference between what an axle stand can hold vs hydraulic jacks and the scissor jack that comes with your car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fqF09QQjc&t=588s

ZR
10-30-2018, 07:41 AM
^ Thanks for posting, really interesting to watch.

mavrrrick
10-30-2018, 08:18 AM
Ya, i'm guilty of doing this to.