PDA

View Full Version : It's been a couple weeks since the last one so was overdue - RIP. Pittsburgh shooting

92redragtop
10-27-2018, 02:11 PM
RIP to the victims.

Several dead in 'horrific’ Pittsburgh synagogue shooting; suspected identified

A gunman man yelling, “All Jews must die,” stormed a Pittsburgh synagogue during Saturday services and shot worshipers, killing at least eight and wounding six including four police officers before he was arrested, local authorities and media said.

“It’s a very horrific crime scene, one of the worst that I’ve seen, and I’ve been on some plane crashes,” Pittsburgh public safety director Wendell Hissrich told a news conference near the scene.

“This falls under hate crime,” he said, adding there was no active threat to the community and that the shooter had been taken to a hospital. The Federal Bureau of Investigation will lead the probe into the attack.

A “bearded heavy-set white male” was in custody, KDKA television said, citing police sources saying the gunman walked into the building and yelled “All Jews must die.”

A federal law enforcement official told Reuters that at least 8 people were killed.

The shooting triggered security alerts at houses of worship around the country, and follows a spate of pipe bombs found mailed in recent days to prominent political figures, mostly Democrats including former President Barack Obama.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center said it was treating multiple patients at UPMC Presbyterian.

CNN and MSNBC identified the suspect as a 46-year-old Pittsburgh man, Robert Bowers. Reuters could not immediately confirm the suspect’s identity.

A social media post by someone with that name on Saturday said the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society “likes to bring invaders in that kill our people. I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.”

MSNBC said the attacker was armed with AR-15 rifle and two handguns.

Police surrounded the Tree of Life synagogue in the city’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood, a heavily Jewish area.

The synagogue was holding a Shabbat religious service at the time. Police are normally only present at the synagogue for security on high holidays, Michael Eisenberg, former president of the synagogue, told KDKA.

“On a day like today, the door is open, it’s a religious service, you can walk in and out,” he said.

Jonathan Greenblatt, CEO of the Anti-Defemation League, called the shooting an “anti-Semitic attack.” Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was heartbroken by the Pittsburgh shooting, describing the attack as “horrendous anti-Semitic brutality.”

Around the time of the shooting, three congregations would be using the building, Eisenberg said. The Tree of Life congregation would have about 40 people present, another group meeting for Sabbath services in the basement would have 30 to 40 people and a third Jewish congregation meeting for a study session would have about 15 people. A common atrium area would be busy with people milling around, he added.

Most of the congregants were older people, according to a former rabbi interviewed by local media.

Shortly after reports of the shooting emerged, U.S. President Donald Trump said in a tweet he was watching what he described as a “devastating” situation.

Trump told reporters later in the morning the killings might have been prevented if there had been an armed guard in the building.

“If they had some kind of a protection inside the temple maybe it could have been a much more different situation, they didn’t,” he said when asked about a possible link to U.S. gun laws.

The Tree of Life synagogue describes itself on its website as a conservative congregation that is traditional, progressive and egalitarian.

1quikgt
10-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Terrible situation. RIP to all those killed. Shouldn’t need to have an armed guard at a religious service though.

ZR
10-27-2018, 05:43 PM
R.I.P. to those so senselessly taken.

https://www.askideas.com/media/78/When-our-minds-are-clouded-by-hatred-selfishness-jealousy-and-anger-we-lose-not-only-control-but-also-our-judgment.-Dalai-Lama.jpg

83 5.0
10-27-2018, 06:40 PM
Terrible event, you should be able to worship in peace.

92redragtop
10-27-2018, 08:51 PM
Terrible situation. RIP to all those killed. Shouldn’t need to have an armed guard at a religious service though.

Insanity rules when one has to suggest a solution that armed guards are needed at a place of worship.

5.4MarkVIII
10-27-2018, 09:23 PM
The root causes to the mayhem happening in the world today has been brewing for decades.
No easy fix at this point

Scrape
10-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Sad to hear all this senseless violence.

5.4MarkVIII
10-28-2018, 11:20 AM
And to add to the sencless violence it took a matter of hours (probably less) for the this to turn political with the accusations of racisam leveled at anyone not left of Center as well as the gun control advocates and the media with “find a way to blame Trump”

Mellow Yellow
10-28-2018, 04:52 PM
According to the media, no matter what happens its Trumps fault. No matter what Trump does it's bad.

I had a post game beer and discussion with a few of my leftie friends the other night. Lately I've been hard pressed to bite my tongue when Trudeau love or Trump hate comes up. It started with climate change, to which I said I was a skeptic that it's human influenced. I was pounced on by all 5. "don't you beleive the climate is changing?"

Sure I do, where we're sitting right now used to be under a mile of ice. In actuality we're coming out of an ice age now, oh and by the way CO2 levels only started rising after gradual temperature rise. CO2 is under 2% of the atmosphere and the human contribution is well under 1%, less than typical volcanic activity. Water is also a greenhouse gas and there's a hell of a lot more airbourne water vapor than CO2. That lead to insults on my intelligence, and then misdirection to animal extinction and deforestation. I countered with' yep dinosaurs are dead and deforestation is at the hands of chainsaws and slash burning.

One of them, a professor (indoctrinator) no less then asked, don't you listen to the news? Implying that unless I watch/consume MSM I'm misinformed. He then did a smart phone search and pulled up a Huffington post article.

This lead to Trudeau polices, immigration, and touched on a few more of my favorites.

I may have been voted off the island.

Regarding climate change I love to bring up the reports by the Danish Meterolical Institute, a government agency of Denmark. Denmark also controls Greenland and research the ice sheets all year long.

In 2016 the Greenland ice sheets actually increased over the average for the previous ten years ( approximately 10 years).
This information does not compute with their thought patterns. The other is to ask them to google a University of Alberts study regarding farms on Greenland in th 1500 s. This would imply that Greenland was previously warm enough to support farming, close to the ocean.

Also the sun is predicted to enter a long period where sun spot activity will be inactive. This is predicted to bring on a cooling period. The other side will say see our efforts have been successful.

Gr8Stang
10-28-2018, 09:42 PM
Insanity rules when one has to suggest a solution that armed guards are needed at a place of worship.

I don't expect this to change, and in fact, it may get worse. Sad, but unless people start caring more about life and others lives, this will continue. I don't understand what drives people to do things like this other then pure hate and anger and a complete dis-regard for life.

There's no way to stop it. People that are determined to go out and kill others, will find a way to get the weapon(s) they need. Armed guards at places of worship as you said is insane, same for schools, malls, and other public places, but that's where were headed more and more, and especially south of the border.

Not even sure the death penalty would have an effect, since many of these attackers have a death wish themselves.

RedSN
11-08-2018, 09:25 AM
It's been a couple weeks since the last one so was overdue
can almost set your watch by it.

Thirteen people are dead, including a deputy sheriff and the gunman, after a shooter opened fire in a crowded country dance bar in Thousands Oaks, Calif. on Wednesday night.
Hundreds of people were packed inside the Borderline Bar & Grill in Southern California, which was holding a weekly “college night.” when gunfire broke out around 11:20 p.m.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4642763/active-shooter-country-bar-california/

hammerhead
11-08-2018, 09:40 AM
I've come to the conclusion it's quiet euthanasia - what else could it be - wont be long before there is organized militia's down there....

mavrrrick
11-08-2018, 09:43 AM
I’ve come to realize that this world we live in is totally f***ed up!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laffs
11-08-2018, 11:43 AM
No way to prevent this from happening says only nation where this routinely happens.

Laffs
11-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Actual crime stats are way down. Crimes are just more reported, and the presentation is curated to fit given narratives.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

Please explain how 2100 more homicides by firearms over a 4 year period is indicative of a downward statistic?

RedSN
11-08-2018, 12:20 PM
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

Homicide by "explosives" is WAY down according to that.
Good thing those mailed pipe bombs didn't go off, would have ruined that safety record.

Armen
11-08-2018, 01:03 PM
Actual crime stats are way down. Crimes are just more reported, and the presentation is curated to fit given narratives.

Back it up with stats.

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 01:42 PM
30 seconds on google

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

Laffs
11-08-2018, 02:47 PM
30 seconds on google

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

Also trending news, number of fatal accidents since 1964 caused by Ford Model T's plummet while accidents caused by Mustangs skyrocket.

Violent crimes "≠" gun crimes

Rape, assault, and other violent crimes are significantly lower than they were during the 90's. I would not argue that. However the rate of decline of deaths by firearm has not be scaled to the overall decrease in violent crimes. The USA essentially cut violent crimes report in half, while death by firearms fell around 38%. So now you are actually should you be involved in a violent crime it is more likely with use of a firearm than without a firearm. Furthermore while total gun deaths has declined overall, the number of mass shooting deaths has starkly risen.

Also ignoring any decrease or increase, the fact of the matter is that in USA, you are still more likely to be killed by gun than in any other developed nation. If you are costing your employer $50 million a year in mistakes, but cut it to $25 million while your other co-workers mistakes are in the hundreds of thousands, would you be considered a trouble free employee or consider the reduction a major victory?

Laffs
11-08-2018, 03:00 PM
30 seconds on google

One more item to this. This is rate per population. In terms of overall hard numbers:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-1

So yes while murders rate per 100,000 inhabitants has dropped over the course of that time frame by 30-40% the overall reduction in murders was 1,000 instances. Looking at the FBI data the core areas of decreases classified as a violent crime were robbery and assault which fell by hundreds of thousands of instances. To me that is a more scary statistic, we've decided to stop assaulting and robbing others, but decided to keep it rolling on the whole murder thing.

Not even going to get in to the whole conflict of "all this immigration has made us more susceptible to crime" argument during the same period while touting "crime is down overall" since I'm sure the counter argument is the immigrants took it upon themselves to commit the remaining murders, taking the place of hard working american murderers just like they took all the jobs...

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 04:43 PM

post was stating crime stats were down.
others asid there were not, truth is crime stats are down. I dont see why there is argument there, he never said guns specificly

in terms of gun crime Gang violence far far outweighs "mass shootings"

Mass shootings are no more prelivent now then they were say 3 years ago.

its also inaccurat that the USA has more than any other nation. allot of the stats that back that up dont factor in population or other factors.

and no im not going to bother posting every single stat, its all free on the internet for anyone to see.
been down that road too many times only to be told that somone who worked at the source once had an ex wife whose sisters, brother in law lived next to a lady who owned a dog that once shit on the lawn of a racist therefore the source is not reliable.

question everyone is beating around teh bush about is are guns the cause? answer is still no and the fact that Cali has some of the strictest gun laws in the states backs that up.

another horrable tragety that wont cause any movement to a resolve because too many choose to use the tagity to grandstand political pandering

Laffs
11-08-2018, 05:00 PM
post was stating crime stats were down.
others asid there were not, truth is crime stats are down. I dont see why there is argument there, he never said guns specificly

In a post about a mass shooting, the inference being made that the media is blowing this out of proportion

in terms of gun crime Gang violence far far outweighs "mass shootings"

Which still points to a gun problem

Perhaps more frequent, or prevalent was the wrong quantifier. Deadlier seems to be factually sound https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/04/mass-shootings-more-deadly-frequent-research-215678

its also inaccurat that the USA has more than any other nation. allot of the stats that back that up dont factor in population or other factors.

I said developed nation, yes many South American nations being ravaged by war and drugs have more gun violence but I really wouldn't use that as a "we it all good here" rationale.

and no im not going to bother posting every single stat, its all free on the internet for anyone to see.
been down that road too many times only to be told that somone who worked at the source once had an ex wife whose sisters, brother in law lived next to a lady who owned a dog that once shit on the lawn of a racist therefore the source is not reliable.'

I agreed with your statistics, what I'm debating is the interpretation that they point everything being alright, or at the vary least not cause for alarm

question everyone is beating around teh bush about is are guns the cause? answer is still no and the fact that Cali has some of the strictest gun laws in the states backs that up.

Located directly next to states with minimal gun control, its a national issue that cannot be totally eradicated at a state level

another horrable tragety that wont cause any movement to a resolve because too many choose to use the tagity to grandstand political pandering

Because no one is willing to accept that guns are the problem

Answers above

RedSN
11-08-2018, 05:17 PM
In 2015 there were 2 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.
In 2018 there were (so far) 4 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.

The numbers, if you want to use 5+ dead as the criteria are:
2015 there were 14 mass shootings
2018 there were (so far) 12 mass shootings

So I guess it depends how many does it take to be considered a "mass shooting".

Laffs
11-08-2018, 05:18 PM
gun crime info:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/7872/7-facts-gun-crime-show-gun-control-doesnt-work-aaron-bandler

death by fire arm typically includes suicides btw

strict gun control means soft targets, plenty of examples of armed folks defending themselves and minimizing carnage.

This is an article not statistics. The first sentence is "The Left is incessantly attempting to figure out new ways to take guns from law-abiding American citizens" you know the information is not being presented without slant or bias. But to try to understand your point more, I read on and was struck by point 6.

According to point number 6, there is a study by the CDC that shows as gun ownership increased gun crimes went down. This was fascinating to me and would totally lend credit to you points so I clicked the CDC hyperlink in your article so I could learn more since this is contradictory to my thoughts. Clicking on link that says it is statistic conducted by the CDC actually links to another article by something called the CNS which claims the CDC data (not listed or linked) supports an article by Breibart titled "Gun violences decreases with gun ownership" . I tried to find the CDC link but any hyperlink I clicked on the second article was flagged by my virus scanner...

The rest of the article is interesting with respect to gun bans not affecting gun crime but is more criticism without causation. My question or counterpoint would be to what due they attribute the decrease and low numbers of gun crime in Australia or Britain if they do not attribute it to a weapons ban?

Whereto your point about firearm deaths including suicide, the statistics I posted from the FBI were for homicide and manslaughter related gun deaths not including suicide data. The ramifications that somehow suicide by gun signifies less of a firearms issue than homicide or manslaughter by a gun is an issue I really don't wish to even wade in to.

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 05:42 PM
In 2015 there were 2 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.
In 2018 there were (so far) 4 mass shootings where more than 10 were shot dead.

The numbers, if you want to use 5+ dead as the criteria are:
2015 there were 14 mass shootings
2018 there were (so far) 12 mass shootings

So I guess it depends how many does it take to be considered a "mass shooting".

part of the problem since it varies depending on who is using the stats to prove what point

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 05:48 PM
This is an article not statistics. The first sentence is "The Left is incessantly attempting to figure out new ways to take guns from law-abiding American citizens" you know the information is not being presented without slant or bias. But to try to understand your point more, I read on and was struck by point 6.

According to point number 6, there is a study by the CDC that shows as gun ownership increased gun crimes went down. This was fascinating to me and would totally lend credit to you points so I clicked the CDC hyperlink in your article so I could learn more since this is contradictory to my thoughts. Clicking on link that says it is statistic conducted by the CDC actually links to another article by something called the CNS which claims the CDC data (not listed or linked) supports an article by Breibart titled "Gun violences decreases with gun ownership" . I tried to find the CDC link but any hyperlink I clicked on the second article was flagged by my virus scanner...

The rest of the article is interesting with respect to gun bans not affecting gun crime but is more criticism without causation. My question or counterpoint would be to what due they attribute the decrease and low numbers of gun crime in Australia or Britain if they do not attribute it to a weapons ban?

Whereto your point about firearm deaths including suicide, the statistics I posted from the FBI were for homicide and manslaughter related gun deaths not including suicide data. The ramifications that somehow suicide by gun signifies less of a firearms issue than homicide or manslaughter by a gun is an issue I really don't wish to even wade in to.

and what is always 100# ignored in the argument that less guns equal less gun crime, is that overall crime rate does not change and killing with other means increases every time

yes Australia had a buy back program after one major attack that was a statistical irregularity. what happened. well crime stayed the same and instead of mass shootings (in accurate because mass shootings {3+ deaths} continued at about the same rate as before.) what increased was cases of locking the doors on buildings and burning groups of people alive inside.

is that better than death buy gun? or maybe points to the fact that people are broken and will go to great lengths to commit harm to others, which would indicate an underlying issue that isn't an inanimate object that requires someone to load, point and pull the trigger

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 05:54 PM
funny I never say anyone blaming pipes when a crazy person mailed a bunch of pipe bombs, still don't see anyone blaming knives even though they kill more people every year in the US than long guns, no one in the drunk driving thread was blaming alcohol for those needless loss of life

Laffs
11-08-2018, 06:29 PM
funny I never say anyone blaming pipes when a crazy person mailed a bunch of pipe bombs, still don't see anyone blaming knives even though they kill more people every year in the US than long guns, no one in the drunk driving thread was blaming alcohol for those needless loss of life

Correct, Rifles and Shotguns combined are less than half the fatalities of Knives, which are around 1600 last year. I'd be willing to concede to a ban on handguns based on that data.

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 07:04 PM
There are also stats that show guns in the hands of responsible, law abiding uses save more lives.

“Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2018/03/20/any-study-of-gun-violence-should-include-how-guns-save-lives/

There is no proof that a gun ban will stop law breakers for acquiring guns. And if they are law breakers then they are not likely to turn in guns they may already have.

More info needs to come out before we can make definitive decisions on this case by a bunch of the last shootings were done by people who should not have guns and either acquired them illegally or the law makers dropped the ball

RedSN
11-08-2018, 07:14 PM
…either acquired them illegally or the law makers dropped the ball
THIS!
This is what people want a crackdown on.

5.4MarkVIII
11-08-2018, 07:32 PM
THIS!
This is what people want a crackdown on.

The biggest problem I have found is people aren’t always forth right about what they want.
I don’t reallly have an issue with out laws the way they are in Canada. Some say too intrusive but I can shoot for fun and if it saves some lives I’m fine with that. But when you talk with people. A lot of them start out talking regulation but as you dig deeper in. It more often the. It comes down to a ban of some sort.

hammerhead
11-08-2018, 09:25 PM
www.gunviolencearchive.org

Laffs
11-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Seems to me most folks crying for generic "more gun regulations" aren't familiar with current regulations and are even less knowledgeable about guns. Being educated by tv and movie fiction makes for a pretty ignorant flock of sheep.

Elaborate.

92redragtop
11-09-2018, 03:32 AM

You reference "long guns" - what about all guns?

Also, how many of the knife related deaths are related to non-kitchen/household related knives?

Are there stats on knife deaths versus gun deaths in the US (both aggregate and specific use)?

92redragtop
11-09-2018, 03:37 AM
One more item to this. This is rate per population. In terms of overall hard numbers:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-1

So yes while murders rate per 100,000 inhabitants has dropped over the course of that time frame by 30-40% the overall reduction in murders was 1,000 instances. Looking at the FBI data the core areas of decreases classified as a violent crime were robbery and assault which fell by hundreds of thousands of instances. To me that is a more scary statistic, we've decided to stop assaulting and robbing others, but decided to keep it rolling on the whole murder thing.

Not even going to get in to the whole conflict of "all this immigration has made us more susceptible to crime" argument during the same period while touting "crime is down overall" since I'm sure the counter argument is the immigrants took it upon themselves to commit the remaining murders, taking the place of hard working american murderers just like they took all the jobs...

Why are you bringing statistical methodology into this????

92redragtop
11-09-2018, 03:42 AM
Mass shootings occur so frequently they don't even register that much any more. Didn't see anything here on the yoga studio mass shooting in FL last week. This murderer (doesn't look like someone from the "caravan") apparently liked his guns but did not like women. Two women lost their lives and several others were injured in the mass shooting.

5.4MarkVIII
11-09-2018, 08:27 AM
You reference "long guns" - what about all guns?

Also, how many of the knife related deaths are related to non-kitchen/household related knives?

Are there stats on knife deaths versus gun deaths in the US (both aggregate and specific use)?

hand guns are more likely used by gangbangers and common theives and are not normaly the guns targeted by the fear mongers, but of corse of gangbangers and theives didnt have hand guns they would meraculasly become upstanding citizens

why does it matter the type of knife though if i remember correctly it is actualy kitchen knoves that share the largest percentage

how is that relivent?

and everyine ignores the states inwhich guns save lives. LOTS of lives. Drugs do harm nit also alot of good we dont prevent those who use drugs for good from getting them via legal means becasue of bad people

5.4MarkVIII
11-09-2018, 08:29 AM
Mass shootings occur so frequently they don't even register that much any more. Didn't see anything here on the yoga studio mass shooting in FL last week. This murderer (doesn't look like someone from the "caravan") apparently liked his guns but did not like women. Two women lost their lives and several others were injured in the mass shooting.

. white people kill people therefore ignore brown people brakeing the law? thats a straw man if i ever heard one, and also would be called racist if you argued the other way around

Laffs
11-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Why are you bringing statistical methodology into this????

Because my belief is that someone saying “overall crime is way down” is somewhat inaccurate and that while the rate decreased somewhat substantially the instances stayed the same or increased. Which I believe points to an issue with guns.

5.4MarkVIII
11-09-2018, 09:22 AM
And the shooter in Cali had known mental health issues (PTSD) and had a run in with police back in April. In which his mental health was reported as an issue. And despite being in Cali (the state with the most strict gun laws in the US) they did not relieve him of his guns.

And once again people are dead.

Seems to be a very obvious pattern

RedSN
11-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Mass shootings occur so frequently they don't even register that much any more. Didn't see anything here on the yoga studio mass shooting in FL last week.
Only 2 victims. Only reason that made the press at all was because the shooter was confronted by a man wielding a broom!

hammerhead
11-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Only 2 victims. Only reason that made the press at all was because the shooter was confronted by a man wielding a broom!

I posted a link yesterday lists all 308 or so mass shooting in the USA for 2018 check back a page - still have month and a half to the new year...

edit: does not include the large amount of suicides with guns... a lot of people die by the gun down there

92redragtop
11-09-2018, 12:50 PM

True, but as a mass shooting I believe there were an additional 5 victims shot but expected to survive.

92redragtop
11-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Because my belief is that someone saying “overall crime is way down” is somewhat inaccurate and that while the rate decreased somewhat substantially the instances stayed the same or increased. Which I believe points to an issue with guns.

Agreed - the data only makes sense when statistical context is added.

Laffs
11-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Agreed - the data only makes sense when statistical context is added.

Ah, initially thought you were coming after me for trying to add context lol.

5.4MarkVIII
11-10-2018, 09:47 AM

seems interesting to me there is no drastic drop in murders by gun in Canada even though our gun laws got more stringent, also interesting to note that stabbings in Canada occur almost as regularly, and actual raising above guns multiple times, one can almost make the argument that if people cant get a gun they still find other ways of hurting people

92redragtop
11-11-2018, 12:36 AM

seems interesting to me there is no drastic drop in murders by gun in Canada even though our gun laws got more stringent, also interesting to note that stabbings in Canada occur almost as regularly, and actual raising above guns multiple times, one can almost make the argument that if people cant get a gun they still find other ways of hurting people

For the gun stat, it appeared to be trending downward generally until the "summer of the gun" anomaly which I believe normalized to previous trend rates until summer 2018, so a pre-1989 +0.7/100K reduction to average between 0.5-0.6/100K post 1989 is statistically significant.

I'm not sure the stabbing stat is statistically comparable to the shooting stat because there exponentially more knives in circulation due to it not being regulated/licenced and primary use is for food/household/work/recreation purposes versus guns which have one ultimate purpose (hence the regulation). The knife data may be positive since there may be way more knives in circulation in 2016 vs 1989, while stabbings decreased or at least stayed flat on a smoothed average basis.

92redragtop
11-11-2018, 12:52 AM
gotta look this over but thought I'd post for other eyes to scrutinize

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_w eapon_2010-2014.xls

this is interesting, Texas and Cali lead. One state with strict gun controls, the other not so much

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/topic-pages/tables/table-12

Looks like gun homicide relatively flat when 2014 adjusted out (could be an anomaly; post 2014 data needed to determine true longer term run rate trend).

Cali is #1 in population size and Texas is #2 although that does not explain all of the difference since you may expect the 3rd populated to be #3 (did not see it on the list). The top 3 states are either low gun control or surrounded by low gun control borders/states so I would think the inflow of freely available firearms would impact number of incidents upward in stricter gun control states since they're not geographic bubbles.