PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't headlights automatic?

Scrape
11-12-2018, 01:50 PM
https://youtu.be/I6nJPpoZGUc

bluetoy
11-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Why are people so stupid that they don't turn them on when it's dark outside. The first thing I do in my mustang after staring it at night is turn on the headlights. duh.

Ponyryd
11-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Why are people so stupid that they don't turn them on when it's dark outside. The first thing I do in my mustang after staring it at night is turn on the headlights. duh.

Likely because your Mustang has a speedo cluster, not an electronic instrument panel cluster (IPC) which is always lit up weather the lights are on or not.....

mavrrrick
11-12-2018, 08:02 PM
I turn my lights on day or night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluetoy
11-12-2018, 08:49 PM
Likely because your Mustang has a speedo cluster, not an electronic instrument panel cluster (IPC) which is always lit up weather the lights are on or not.....

I don't know. I try to drive by looking out the windshield instead of staring at my speedo cluster to see if it is dark out.

fast Ed
11-12-2018, 09:40 PM
On almost all newer vehicles they are, but people won’t leave the switch in the auto setting!

Ponyryd
11-12-2018, 09:43 PM
I don't know. I try to drive by looking out the windshield instead of staring at my speedo cluster to see if it is dark out.

Ya sure, it if you check your speed, it should be pretty obvious your lights aren’t on......as well everything has daytime running lights, so if you’re behing someone you can see your lights and you may think they’re on.
It really drives me nuts though, I always flash drivers if their lights aren’t on, and over the years I must have done that to at least 50 cars, of those I’d say maybe 5 actually got the hint and put their lights on.

Redfire427
11-12-2018, 10:35 PM
On almost all newer vehicles they are, but people won’t leave the switch in the auto setting!

No, it's the bastards at the oil change service centres, auto dealerships, and park and fly attendants that think they are "saving your battery" by switching it to the off position during service. The only problem is, the bastards never turn the switch back on. Your display will be lit up, but unbeknownst to you, you have no headlights and taillights.

Carmen

fast Ed
11-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Yes, that certainly happens too!

bluetoy
11-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Really sounds like a bunch of excuses for not turning on your lights. My pickup has auto lamps and so does my VW my mustang doesn't and the cluster lights are lit all the time I never forget to turn on the headlights. The VW was in for service and when I picked it up they had turned off the auto lights. Guess what. It was dark out and I checked to see if my lights were on before I drove the car. I don't understand why everyone doesn't check their lights. Then they blame some one else for turning off their auto lamps or blame so technology for failing to think for them. For those people wanting to blame the dash lights for being on all the time, try turning the brightness down for night and then you'll notice the insane glare from a brightly light cluster and think to check the lights. Everyone complains about a nanny state... If people weren't so stupid we wouldn't need laws to make everything idiot proof.

Biz
11-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Changes are coming.

OTTAWA – New regulations are coming for vehicles sold in Canada that are meant to eradicate 'phantom vehicles' – vehicles that drive without proper lights on in the dark — from Canadian roadways.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau announced Wednesday that, starting in September of 2021, all new vehicles sold in Canada have to comply with new vehicle lighting safety standards to be more visible in darkness and in low light conditions.

In three years, manufacturers will have to build vehicles in one of three ways:

To have daytime running lights and tail lights that come on automatically when the vehicle instrument panel is illuminated and the car is turned on;
•To have the vehicle automatically turn on headlights, taillights and side marker lights in low light conditions; or
•To have the drivers’ instrument panel stay dark until the driver turns the lights on

Garneau said this update to Canada’s motor vehicle safety regulations is intended to improve nighttime visibility for drivers, while enhancing safety for others on the road.

"Phantom vehicles have been a nuisance and a safety risk on Canada’s roads for many years… As more new vehicles are built to our lighting safety standard, phantom vehicles will eventually become ghosts of the past," the minister said in a statement announcing the new regulations.

In the meantime, Transport Canada is partnering with the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) to revive a 2015 driver awareness "see and be seen" campaign that is mean to raise awareness about turning your lights on in bad weather and in low light conditions.

It is illegal to drive in Canada without headlights on during low visibility, but Garneau said right now in some vehicles when the instrument panel is illuminated drivers may think that means their headlights and taillights are turned on, which isn’t always the case.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/new-safety-standards-coming-to-rid-roads-of-phantom-vehicles-1.3852200

RedSN
11-13-2018, 08:48 AM
I always flash drivers if their lights aren’t on, and over the years I must have done that to at least 50 cars, of those I’d say maybe 5 actually got the hint and put their lights on.
I turn my lights on/off at them.

A couple of weeks ago I did this, and the car pulled up to me at the next set of lights. The windows roll down and 3 teenagers started giving me attitude. “Why are you flashing your lights dude!?”. “Because you are driving around with your lights off.” They turn to the kid driving who sheepishly says: “oh, sorry”.

Chinga
11-13-2018, 03:30 PM
Even Duct Tape can't fix stupidity...

Ponyryd
11-13-2018, 07:52 PM
I turn my lights on/off at them.

A couple of weeks ago I did this, and the car pulled up to me at the next set of lights. The windows roll down and 3 teenagers started giving me attitude. “Why are you flashing your lights dude!?”. “Because you are driving around with your lights off.” They turn to the kid driving who sheepishly says: “oh, sorry”.

Good call, I’ll try that.

- - - Updated - - -

Even Duct Tape can't fix stupidity...

It can if you carry some in your car, and jump out at stoplights, open the offending cars door, turn the lights to auto, and tape over the switch........prolly be arrested for assault tho.