View Full Version : Right turn on red...

Stephen06GT
11-15-2018, 01:38 PM
Did they change the rules regarding turning right on a red light ? I ask because several times this week I’ve been honked at for coming to a complete stop before making my turn. If you can just yield or cruise right through without even slowing, I wish someone would have told me. It would probably save me 10-20 seconds on my commute to and from work.

Minaccia
11-15-2018, 01:56 PM
I've been wondering this for years also especially when making a left on an advance green and the guy making the right turn goes while you're entering the lane, WTF.

When I see that it's going to happen I now speed up and make my left turn wider so I'm in their lane and hopefully they get the message.

Did they change the rules regarding turning right on a red light ? I ask because several times this week I’ve been honked at for coming to a complete stop before making my turn. If you can just yield or cruise right through without even slowing, I wish someone would have told me. It would probably save me 10-20 seconds on my commute to and from work.

Blackmare
11-15-2018, 01:58 PM
GTA drivers...:facepalm:

True Blue
11-15-2018, 02:13 PM
Stephen, was this in Woodbridge?

RedSN
11-15-2018, 02:28 PM
I've been wondering this for years also especially when making a left on an advance green and the guy making the right turn goes while you're entering the lane, WTF.

you mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sjWyPmqiB4

RedSN
11-15-2018, 02:32 PM
I get honked at all the time for stopping at a red light. I will not make that right turn because: A. i am facing a red light, B. the oncoming traffic has a green light, C. the car making a left turn has a high probability of turning into the wrong lane, i.e. the right lane.
Once my light is green, then it's fair game, I'll go even if there is a left turn straggler heading for the right lane. And I'll lay on the horn.

NickD
11-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Even better is getting honked at and sometimes passed when the intersection is marked no right turns on red....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Stephen06GT
11-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Stephen, was this in Woodbridge?

Yup.

Minaccia
11-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Exactly that. :choke:

you mean like this?

JonsMustang
11-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Red light = Full complete stop then turn right.

Screw
11-18-2018, 02:18 PM
you mean like this?

Fkrs that pisses me off I almost expect it now , cuz a guy like minnacia might try to turn right on my left lol

ZR
11-18-2018, 02:29 PM
^ See it almost daily around these parts.

Mellow Yellow
11-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Not just the GTA!

Quicksilver
11-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Hardly anyone stops anymore. Some just roll right though as if there was a full green, and a lot more sort of slow down a bit. The WORST (and this happens to me daily) is when I am already in the interesection, on a full green light, and someone rolls through their right directly in front of me, often forcing me to slam on my brakes, or to slow dramatically. Usually these people don't even seem to understand that maybe they should accelerate hard at that point, so I don't run into them?

Ghost Rider
11-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Red Light camera will getcha up her in the Wick at 5 corners if you do that, it's considered running a Red Light...a lot more people stopping for that light now days that's for sure. I always have...not cause I'm a "Perfect Driver" by any means...but simply the South bound lane that you are turning into...splits into 2 lanes on the South side but it's only 1 lane going in...so you really gotta be paying attention cause you have no idea what lane people are going to come out in on the South side...

lol, I'm not really explaining this too well...but the people from Wick or people that have been through there before will know what I'm talking abooot!

RedSN
11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
lol, I'm not really explaining this too well...
The irony of this made me laugh.

Ghost Rider
11-20-2018, 02:02 PM
The irony of this made me laugh.

I know...I thought about that after LOL...but still was better than the other no? LOL

G-ForceJunkie
11-21-2018, 09:54 PM
Why would you come to a complete stop if you can safely navigate the corner without doing so? Complete stops anger other drivers, slows down traffic flow, costs you money in terms of brakes and gas, and is frankly uncomfortable as a passenger. (and honestly, I would claim your odds of getting rear ended go up significantly, but I have no proof of that)

I'm not saying to never stop...but a complete stop for the sake of a complete stop is crazy IMO.

RedSN
11-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Why would you come to a complete stop......I would claim your odds of getting rear ended go up significantly...
Get rear ended by who? A red light runner behind you that's not paying attention to the car in front of them?

LOL, now I know how you make it around Mosport so fast! Don't slow down for right turns :D

1quikgt
11-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Why would you come to a complete stop if you can safely navigate the corner without doing so? Complete stops anger other drivers, slows down traffic flow, costs you money in terms of brakes and gas, and is frankly uncomfortable as a passenger. (and honestly, I would claim your odds of getting rear ended go up significantly, but I have no proof of that)

I'm not saying to never stop...but a complete stop for the sake of a complete stop is crazy IMO.

Because the definition of a red light/stop sign is come to a complete stop.

I can’t tell you how many people in Durham I’ve almost plowed right through in my bus as they roll past a stop sign or redlight because they thought it was ‘safe to do so’.

Screw
11-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Then there’s the ones that don’t allow you to merge when signaling....first 3 seconds I’m asking you to leave me space....after that it means I’m coming over ...fak

USAWIT2
11-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Then there’s the ones that don’t allow you to merge when signaling....first 3 seconds I’m asking you to leave me space....after that it means I’m coming over ...fakProbably cause your driving a van, for some reason no one likes driving behind them

Screw
11-22-2018, 12:56 PM
Probably cause your driving a BILLBOARD , for some reason no one likes driving behind them

Nah it’s the females in the high end suv’s or Audi’s :D , not to offend just an observation

92redragtop
11-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Why would you come to a complete stop if you can safely navigate the corner without doing so? Complete stops anger other drivers.....; I'm not saying to never stop...but a complete stop for the sake of a complete stop is crazy IMO.

The Ontario HTA says that a right turn on a red light is allowed (if indicated) only after coming to a complete stop? Doesn't seem to have an allowance in the Act for the emotional reactions of other drivers.

G-ForceJunkie
11-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Get rear ended by who? A red light runner behind you that's not paying attention to the car in front of them?

LOL, now I know how you make it around Mosport so fast! Don't slow down for right turns :D
;)

But yes, by the person behind you looking to their left and right, assuming that the car in front of them is going to continue moving.

It's much safer to be a predictable driver than it is to be one that follows the rules.

RedSN
11-22-2018, 06:04 PM
It's much safer to be a predictable driver than it is to be one that follows the rules.
LOL, and because NOBODY follows the rules, not following the rules is more predictable!? :facepalm:

bbriann
11-30-2018, 09:46 PM
I have witness tickets given for not coming to complete stop when turning on red light...yes u gotta stop first fir sure.

92redragtop
11-30-2018, 11:24 PM
I have witness tickets given for not coming to complete stop when turning on red light...yes u gotta stop first fir sure.

Yes but it is better to be a predictable driver and also take the ticket.

RedSN
12-02-2018, 11:10 AM
And predictably fight it in court