PDA

View Full Version : Distracted driving fine going to $1000 in New Year

83 5.0
11-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Better buy that handsfree kit for the old daily driver ....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/distracted-driving-penalty-increase-1.4916615

Hutch
11-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Better buy that handsfree kit for the old daily driver ....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/distracted-driving-penalty-increase-1.4916615

Finally!! I hope they follow through with this. I drive 100km one way to work and the amount of women I see on their phones not paying attention is ridiculous. Men are guilty also but I see WAY more women doing it.

RedSN
11-26-2018, 09:43 PM
I don’t plan on getting one of these, so I have no problem with the fines going up up up.

5.4MarkVIII
11-26-2018, 10:02 PM
dosnt bother me of phones but bothers me that the law is written so that an officer if so inclined can slap you with a $1000 fine for nothing more than sipping your coffee at a red light.

Scrape
11-26-2018, 10:44 PM
I just saw one tonight on the phone yapping and blew through a red light!

Finally!! I hope they follow through with this. I drive 100km one way to work and the amount of women I see on their phones not paying attention is ridiculous. Men are guilty also but I see WAY more women doing it.

hammerhead
11-27-2018, 10:24 AM

lmao - you sound a little like Don Cherry - I put a lot of miles on in a day too and I get really annoyed when the car in front cant maintain a constant speed cause of texting or whatever

ZR
11-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Drivers these days can barely stay in their own lanes without being distracted. No on road enforcement beyond hiding behind a bridge with a radar gun has turned our streets and hwy's into a war zone. Freakin ridiculous the moves we see other drivers do each and every day.

ZR
11-28-2018, 08:36 AM
As for the fine increasing, won't make an ounce of difference beyond more money in the govt coffers. On a typical drive, most here see numerous peeps texting, running red lights, no lights or running high beams, no working brake lights, double or triple left turns or lane changing like it's a freakin video game, what about a little old fashioned ON ROAD ENFORCEMENT!!!!

MUSTANGWOP
11-28-2018, 08:44 AM
As for the fine increasing, won't make an ounce of difference beyond more money in the govt coffers. On a typical drive, most here see numerous peeps texting, running red lights, no lights or running high beams, no working brake lights, double or triple left turns or lane changing like it's a freakin video game, what about a little old fashioned ON ROAD ENFORCEMENT!!!!

Exactly this!

FABMAN
11-28-2018, 09:28 AM

So true, I see much of the same on my daily commute from Woodbridge to Mississauga. Also what’s the deal with so many Honda’s (especially Civics) driving with their high beams on??? Not sure if it is a design flaw on the light stalk or just a disproportionate Civic driver flaw?

ZR
11-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Equal split around here between no lights or high beams on.
Let's not enough talk about the pricks blinding the rest of us with their aftemarket lighting kits.

cobra88
11-28-2018, 09:36 AM
This will no stop the idiots who continue to talk on their phones, I've been at stop lights and gone as far as honking but I get blank stares like whats up when I givew them the phone hand signal they usually give me the finger back, but in one case I just kept the horn on and when other drivers started noticing they put the phone down. its like they need to be shamed into stopping some
how. I agree with the continuous monitoring on the roads. Richmond Hill had the best pilot down Yonge St. Cop on the Bus, spots driver on phone, gets time, make model license# type of phone and radios ahead and the person gets pulled over. Not sure it is still going on, but along with the $1000 fine they should include an automatic license suspension for a set time.

hammerhead
11-28-2018, 09:54 AM
So true, I see much of the same on my daily commute from Woodbridge to Mississauga. Also what’s the deal with so many Honda’s (especially Civics) driving with their high beams on??? Not sure if it is a design flaw on the light stalk or just a disproportionate Civic driver flaw?

up by me nobody turns the high beams off people are just out of tune when their driving these days - I see the same in the city never understood why people need the high beams in the city...?

Mellow Yellow
11-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Doesn't this new law also include a three day licence suspension?