PDA

View Full Version : Shelby S197 platform

Screw
01-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Any good ,bad or better years ? What should one be looking carefully at if buying used ? I know a couple of members picked up new to them Shelby’s in 2018 .

Love the s550’s but 350 can’t do lol , just dream stage right now :)

fast Ed
01-01-2019, 11:13 AM
2011+ had slightly revised front suspension, plus the alloy block saved a bunch of weight where it was needed most to be gone. Not sure if you're looking at spending the $$ that a 2013-14 gets, they are another step of course with the extra power and monster brakes. If not then the 11-12 is a better car than the 07-10, but some people prefer the styling of the earlier cars.

No bad answer really, and with all of the bolt-on aftermarket stuff available you can make an earlier car even more awesome.

cheers
Ed

Uncle Buck
01-01-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm a fan of all the S197 Shelbys.

If buying one, I think it's important to know how it will be used. If it's going to be driven plenty, I'd go for a 13/14 to get the extra power and refinements over the earlier gens. If it's going to be a bit of a collectable, I'd look for an earlier KR. Budget is often my biggest consideration so an earlier one that's been well kept is a win as an all purpose beast.

All Shelbys are cool. Hard to go wrong as long as you get one that's been looked after.

Rino
01-01-2019, 11:34 AM
13/14 without doubt for me.

Screw
01-01-2019, 12:32 PM
So 13+ 5.8 , beasts eh

Ponyryd
01-01-2019, 01:51 PM
^Yes, but if course they are much more money because of it. An older model will do just fine but there is more weight over the nose due to the iron block, so it depends on your intended uses for the car. Also, the 13-14 body panels can be swapped to the older models if you prefer the look of the newer ones, I know I do :)
Either way you’ll be getting a pretty sick ride if you like the s550 cars.

Screw
01-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Yes I think 13+ Is more than I would want to spend . Mehhh this will keep me preoccupied for a while , guess knowing I’m hitting 50 soon ....at times I say fak it one life ,do it if I can .
If not I’ll drive the crap out of the 06 & sneak jrs 350 out when I can . That’s a different animal altogether.

Laffs
01-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Also, the 13-14 body panels can be swapped to the older models if you prefer the look of the newer ones, I know I do :)

Really? Like 05-09 to 2010+ style or you mean doing the 13/14 grills and valances on a 2010?

Darkhorse
01-02-2019, 12:08 PM
If it's just street duty, you can get a really really clean 07-09 For around 30K.

2010 is the iron block and the new body style, I would get that one if I couldn't get the 13/14.

Not that you race, but the basic S197 5.0 can be made way faster for less money.....the Shelby's can be fast, but takes a lot more money.

Consider a 18+ basic GT, lots of car for the money. Auto of course! I think they can be had for around 35-39.

Screw
01-02-2019, 01:32 PM
If it's just street duty, you can get a really really clean 07-09 For around 30K.

2010 is the iron block and the new body style, I would get that one if I couldn't get the 13/14.

Not that you race, but the basic S197 5.0 can be made way faster for less money.....the Shelby's can be fast, but takes a lot more money.

Consider a 18+ basic GT, lots of car for the money. Auto of course! I think they can be had for around 35-39.

I don’t race cuz I don’t have a fast car lol

Good advice thanks

Ponyryd
01-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Really? Like 05-09 to 2010+ style or you mean doing the 13/14 grills and valances on a 2010?

Oops, ya nice catch, I should have specified. Yes the 13/14 to the 10+, 05-09 are pretty different.

KRS
01-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Any good ,bad or better years ? What should one be looking carefully at if buying used ? I know a couple of members picked up new to them Shelby’s in 2018 .

Love the s550’s but 350 can’t do lol , just dream stage right now :)

You would need to answer a couple of questions for a more informed answer.

What’s the maximum $’s that you want to spend?

What’s your goal, a daily driver, a cool weekend cruiser with good performance, or ultimate performance car for street and track?

What’s you long term for the car that you buy, maintain some decent value or it’s not a concern?

Screw
01-02-2019, 08:48 PM
I don’t switch my stuff up too much , so yes long term keeper , odd track event would be nice . More of a cruiser , reliability is usually what push’s me to changing vehicles. I do like the nostalgia of having a Shelby stang . 35-40 is realistic

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/owen-sound/2010-shelby-gt500/1401428173?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Something like this

I’d like to be able to drive it across Canada ultimately lol

KRS
01-02-2019, 09:14 PM
A 07-09 would be a bit more in the price range your looking at but I like the 2010 in the link. That 2010 has aftermarket wheels and hood pins, I’d ask about the motor if you have any interest in it.

The 07-09 can have clutch issues, heavier peddle and the clutch discs are ceramic which doesn’t hold up well for stop and go driving. The 2010 has an improved clutch.

No matter what the Shelby has an inherent cool factor.

Screw
01-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the info ^^

Screw
01-02-2019, 09:39 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/2011-ford-mustang-shelby-gt-500-financing-available-oac/1404033242?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Ponyryd
01-02-2019, 10:04 PM
^That white one looks nice! If you’re looking, now is the time (obviously), guys get a little crazy with those in the spring.

Laffs
01-03-2019, 12:39 AM
Oops, ya nice catch, I should have specified. Yes the 13/14 to the 10+, 05-09 are pretty different.

You had me scheming for a minute.

KRS
01-03-2019, 11:17 AM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/markham-york-region/2011-ford-mustang-shelby-gt-500-financing-available-oac/1404033242?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Asking price seems reasonable.

Just a couple of observations.

As far as I know the seat stripe colour should match the car stripe colour. If you were going to seriously consider the car I’d look into why they don’t match, could be something as simple as the owner changed the stripe colour.

Hard to be certain from the poor quality picks but the wheels are either aftermarket or recoated PP wheels (stock colour is like a gun metal). So the car is possibly a PP car (performance package). Which gives you 20” rear 19” front staggered wheels, slightly lower suspension, slightly stiffer suspension, 3.73 rear gear, and a gurney flap on the rear spoiler (which it appears to have).

Under the hood it has the stock pulley on the Supercharger, there are some aluminum caps on the fluids and a aluminum fuse box cover. Could simply just be the owner added some bling. But sometimes these cars are heavily modded and returned to stock to sell. So I’d suggest a trip to a Ford dealer to see if the PCM has the stock tune and also if it has ever been flashed.

Screw
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
^^thank you sir

hammerhead
01-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Yes I think 13+ Is more than I would want to spend . Mehhh this will keep me preoccupied for a while , guess knowing I’m hitting 50 soon ....at times I say fak it one life ,do it if I can .
If not I’ll drive the crap out of the 06 & sneak jrs 350 out when I can . That’s a different animal altogether.

I find buying a used car these days very daunting unless the true history is known - even used ones can cost a few bucks. after years of considerations and driving everyone's unwanted cars (most just given to me...lol) I went the route of the S550, it had about 5000k on it and I thought the price was right and I felt more at ease having warranty but yah if juniors got hey...!! just drive that.

Slick_89_Hatch
01-03-2019, 04:52 PM
Asking price seems reasonable.

Just a couple of observations.

As far as I know the seat stripe colour should match the car stripe colour. If you were going to seriously consider the car I’d look into why they don’t match, could be something as simple as the owner changed the stripe colour.

Hard to be certain from the poor quality picks but the wheels are either aftermarket or recoated PP wheels (stock colour is like a gun metal). So the car is possibly a PP car (performance package). Which gives you 20” rear 19” front staggered wheels, slightly lower suspension, slightly stiffer suspension, 3.73 rear gear, and a gurney flap on the rear spoiler (which it appears to have).

Under the hood it has the stock pulley on the Supercharger, there are some aluminum caps on the fluids and a aluminum fuse box cover. Could simply just be the owner added some bling. But sometimes these cars are heavily modded and returned to stock to sell. So I’d suggest a trip to a Ford dealer to see if the PCM has the stock tune and also if it has ever been flashed.

Great observations! But man that car is sexy as hell!!!!!! WOW...wish I had 40k sitting around :(

Gr8Stang
01-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Hey Screw, I'm one of those guys that just picked up an 08 Shelby GT500 late summer 2018. Haven't had a lot of seat time in it yet, but with the little I have, really enjoyed it. Nothing like the whine of an SC! For comparison sake, I've owned a 12 Boss 302 and 04 Cobra vert and have to say this car is similar in performance, though more refined than the 03/04 Cobra and not quite as nimble as the Boss in the twisties (which could be addressed fairly easily).

From a looks point of view, I really dig the S197 and also tend to like having what I would consider something that stands out from the crowd a bit (not to kick the S550's at all, but there are lots of them on the road). Not so with the Shelby's. Think it will also benefit you when it comes time to sell it...if/when that time comes. It was also within my budget (similar to yours) and was very happy with the fact it had low miles (just over 14K) on it and previous owner had it for almost 8 yrs. It also came with some nice mods.

As per others here, make sure you check the car over very well, especially if it has higher mileage and has any significant motor mods, and specifically for the 07/08's, see if the clutch was upgraded by Ford (there was a TSB issued). Get a Carproof for sure.

Happy Snake Hunting!

Screw
01-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Definitely a lot of knowledgeable peeps on here , from the Soo to the GTA ;)

Screw
01-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Then there’s https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brantford/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-w-cover-window-sticker-welcome-pkg/1393609358

More research:)

newbiestangowner
01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Then there’s https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brantford/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-w-cover-window-sticker-welcome-pkg/1393609358

Tempting
I saw a few more around the price
Yellow one I believe. I’ve been so thinking of a trade, so much so I avoid looking online now- out of sight out of mind but thanks for reminding me Screw lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw
01-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Tempting
I saw a few more around the price
Yellow one I believe. I’ve been so thinking of a trade, so much so I avoid looking online now- out of sight out of mind but thanks for reminding me Screw lol

If I had ur trade value I’d giver a go lol

It’s ok I don’t mind the looking & watching YouTube videos of cool cars . Can’t get over the factory performance of these new s550’s though ....out of the box !

newbiestangowner
01-06-2019, 07:01 PM
If I had ur trade value I’d giver a go lol

It’s ok I don’t mind the looking & watching YouTube videos of cool cars . Can’t get over the factory performance of these new s550’s though ....out of the box !

I know impressive.
There is a performance pack 2 at erindale and a blue one at our sponsor Parkway last I looked . Magnaride - just a phone call away Screw. Buy now pay later [emoji6]

fast Ed
01-06-2019, 07:38 PM
We sold that blue one a few weeks ago Ron, sorry. :)

Gr8Stang
01-07-2019, 12:04 AM

I loved mined. They are one sweet ride and a lot of fun on a road course track. The exhaust note with Track Key enable makes for a very cool drive....with lots of snap crackle and pop on decel. And the resale value is obviously good. No doubt their limited production numbers are helping. Love the white!

Screw
01-07-2019, 08:36 AM
I loved mined. They are one sweet ride and a lot of fun on a road course track. The exhaust note with Track Key enable makes for a very cool drive....with lots of snap crackle and pop on decel. And the resale value is obviously good. No doubt their limited production numbers are helping. Love the white!

Nice so you’ve had both , how would you compare the two ?
Not having experience I would guess that a Shelby gives you the best of both in terms of handling & power , or is the Boss suspension tuned that much more ?

Hutch
01-07-2019, 01:17 PM
I chose my 08 because I have always wanted that body style in vista blue and the price. I wanted all the factory extras that the Shelby offers. I looked at boss 302’s but just couldn’t justify the price. Get a stock 13/14 5L with recaros and it’s very close to the same car for a lot less. The Shelby’s and boss cars hold their value much more as well. If I had the money I would have bought a grabber blue 11/12 PP Shelby. That would be my perfect car but I can’t justify that price for a summer toy. I love the look of my 08 and it makes me smile every time I drive it. I have also done a bunch of mods that make it drive that much better. I would just love an 11/12 Shelby engine in my car and it would be awesome (just for the less weight)

WidowrRacing
01-07-2019, 01:50 PM
I spoke to an owner of a Boss 302 (Laguna I think) and 13 GT500 at the Ford Marigold show a couple years ago and I can remember him telling me he preferred the Boss over the GT500 owning both.
He said the Boss was a nicer car to drive overall and he found himself putting far more kms on it vs the GT500.
So much in fact he was going to sell the Shelby for the reason he just never drove it.

He said for taking his friends for a quick drive and strictly acceleration the GT500 was very impressive but when it came time to picking keys for cruising he always picked the Boss.

He had both at the show and I would have gladly taken either one!

Gr8Stang
01-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Nice so you’ve had both , how would you compare the two ?
Not having experience I would guess that a Shelby gives you the best of both in terms of handling & power , or is the Boss suspension tuned that much more ?

The Boss stock vs. GT500 stock, the Boss is the better performer.....handling wise, and rightly so as that was the design intent out of the factory; it has adjustable shocks (settings 1 thru 5) and a few other suspension upgrades right out of the factory. It's quick in its own right as well, but approx. 55HP less, and about 100 lb/ft of torque. The track key provides a factory based custom tune to help the car be at its best on the track, i.e. quicker throttle response, lopey cam, engine braking and bunch of other parameter changes. Interior is very plain; Recaro seats are cloth only, but very comfortable and functional when flying around a track.

The GT500 (08 in my case) is not quite as "tight" handling wise, but still respectable (and of course can be improved with $$). Its very quick in a straight line and if you're into making more power....can be done pretty easily with not too much $$ and the sound of the SC adds to the experience. Interior's are similar, but I'd give the Shelby the advantage...appearance wise (subjective). I like the Red/White/Blue lighting on the gauges @ night as well. :-)

Both cars look great and draw a fair amount of attention (good and bad...lol). Stock sound, I liked my Boss better because of the quad exhaust, especially with the track key enabled. GT500 can again be improved with a few $$.

So why did I sell my Boss 302? Always wanted to own a Shelby and couldn't afford both.

If you're serious about buying, I'd recommend taking both out for a test drive.

Gr8Stang
01-07-2019, 03:07 PM
I chose my 08 because I have always wanted that body style in vista blue and the price. I wanted all the factory extras that the Shelby offers. I looked at boss 302’s but just couldn’t justify the price. Get a stock 13/14 5L with recaros and it’s very close to the same car for a lot less. The Shelby’s and boss cars hold their value much more as well. If I had the money I would have bought a grabber blue 11/12 PP Shelby. That would be my perfect car but I can’t justify that price for a summer toy. I love the look of my 08 and it makes me smile every time I drive it. I have also done a bunch of mods that make it drive that much better. I would just love an 11/12 Shelby engine in my car and it would be awesome (just for the less weight)

Bolded above.....I'd have to respectfully disagree with you; Boss came with forged internals, more HP, track key ($302 option), adjustable suspension, torsion diff to name a few things. And the Boss appearance pkg. to me set it apart from the standard GT. That being said.....you could certainly spend $$ and make a lot of improvements to the GT to get it up to a Boss' level....and beyond, but it still wouldn't be a Boss :D

Gr8Stang
01-07-2019, 03:52 PM
I spoke to an owner of a Boss 302 (Laguna I think) and 13 GT500 at the Ford Marigold show a couple years ago and I can remember him telling me he preferred the Boss over the GT500 owning both.
He said the Boss was a nicer car to drive overall and he found himself putting far more kms on it vs the GT500.
So much in fact he was going to sell the Shelby for the reason he just never drove it.

He said for taking his friends for a quick drive and strictly acceleration the GT500 was very impressive but when it came time to picking keys for cruising he always picked the Boss.

The Boss LS is another notch in the special dept....very limited production. Couple extra's over the standard Boss from the factory, including transmission and brake cooling, special Pirelli tires and a wicked front splitter. I would want to be very careful cruising around with that splitter......

hammerhead
01-07-2019, 10:21 PM
The Boss stock vs. GT500 stock, the Boss is the better performer.....handling wise, and rightly so as that was the design intent out of the factory; it has adjustable shocks (settings 1 thru 5) and a few other suspension upgrades right out of the factory. It's quick in its own right as well, but approx. 55HP less, and about 100 lb/ft of torque. The track key provides a factory based custom tune to help the car be at its best on the track, i.e. quicker throttle response, lopey cam, engine braking and bunch of other parameter changes. Interior is very plain; Recaro seats are cloth only, but very comfortable and functional when flying around a track.

The GT500 (08 in my case) is not quite as "tight" handling wise, but still respectable (and of course can be improved with $$). Its very quick in a straight line and if you're into making more power....can be done pretty easily with not too much $$ and the sound of the SC adds to the experience. Interior's are similar, but I'd give the Shelby the advantage...appearance wise (subjective). I like the Red/White/Blue lighting on the gauges @ night as well. :-)

Both cars look great and draw a fair amount of attention (good and bad...lol). Stock sound, I liked my Boss better because of the quad exhaust, especially with the track key enabled. GT500 can again be improved with a few $$.

So why did I sell my Boss 302? Always wanted to own a Shelby and couldn't afford both.

If you're serious about buying, I'd recommend taking both out for a test drive.

The Boss 302 sounds like a cool car - I did not know that!

NickD
01-08-2019, 01:27 PM
John what you need is a 3V

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Screw
01-08-2019, 01:36 PM
John what you need is a 3V

All I know is i want more than my 4.6 can offer .... :D

NickD
01-08-2019, 01:41 PM
All I know is i want more than my 4.6 can offer .... :DForged internals and boost can deliver...

Darkhorse
01-08-2019, 02:13 PM

Jay Leno was also quoted as saying the 12/13 BOSS 302 was the best Mustang ever made......at the time. He also preferred it over the GT500

Screw
01-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Think look wise Shelby looks more tough, not fan of over the top + hockey stick ...who am I kidding either one would put a huge grin on

hammerhead
01-08-2019, 09:34 PM
Think look wise Shelby looks more tough, not fan of over the top + hockey stick ...who am I kidding either one would put a huge grin on

have to agree with the hockey stick

ZR
01-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Could do without it as well but do really really like the car.

Screw
01-09-2019, 01:57 PM
I was watching vids with the plates removed and electric valves for side exhaust, pretty wicked car

newbiestangowner
01-09-2019, 02:41 PM
I was watching vids with the plates removed and electric valves for side exhaust, pretty wicked car

Will you go out and buy it already lol

Screw
01-09-2019, 03:02 PM
Will you go out and buy it already lol

Information session lol

newbiestangowner
01-09-2019, 03:05 PM
^ ic lol
Just feel bad , it’s like you’re teasing yourself by just looking- go out and touch lol
Maybe that white one has sat awhile- u never know till you make an offer

Screw
01-09-2019, 03:17 PM
^ ic lol
Just feel bad , it’s like you’re teasing yourself by just looking- go out and touch lol
Maybe that white one has sat awhile- u never know till you make an offer

Nah it normal behaviour for me , took me 2 yrs to buy a fox , kept it for a weekend:D

Blackmare
01-09-2019, 03:18 PM
LMAO!

RedSN
01-09-2019, 04:08 PM

I did the same thing when the BOSS came out. Tortured myself thinking about it. Was real real tempted when Armen put his up for sale.

newbiestangowner
01-09-2019, 04:24 PM
I did the same thing when the BOSS came out. Tortured myself thinking about it. Was real real tempted when Armen put his up for sale.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brantford/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-w-cover-window-sticker-welcome-pkg/1393609358

Right here Don

I know your working on your sn95
But .... turn key for track days

RedSN
01-09-2019, 04:46 PM
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/brantford/2012-ford-mustang-boss-302-w-cover-window-sticker-welcome-pkg/1393609358

Right here Don

I know your working on your ....

...freedom-55 thing here.

$38,000 closer to retirement.

Screw
01-09-2019, 05:05 PM
I need to think more like Don ..

ZR
01-09-2019, 06:25 PM
I just need to think more. ;)

newbiestangowner
01-09-2019, 06:50 PM
I just need to think more. ;)

It doesn’t work for me lol
Keeps me awake at night

RedSN
01-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Drink enough rye, you’ll go to sleep.

newbiestangowner
01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Drink enough rye, you’ll go to sleep.

Doesn’t work - just makes me drunk and wasted- puking in toilet at night then having to go into the office in the morning ; heaven forbid I have to interact with anyone that day.