PDA

View Full Version : Would you road trip your mustang half way across Canada?

Uncle Buck
01-14-2019, 09:12 AM
My wife and I are planning a summer 2019 road trip to the maritimes. Lots of lobsters and coastline cruising over 2 weeks on the to do list including a ferry ride across the Bay of Fundy.

So my question is, what would you drive? Should this be a Roadkill trip in my boosted and lowered 06 GT or should we opt for more comfort in one of our newer but boring daily drivers.

Stephen06GT
01-14-2019, 09:18 AM
Roadkill as long as they have 94 octane out east.

Scrape
01-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Do it! Why not. It is reliable as hell.

Laffs
01-14-2019, 09:43 AM
I drove mine on a 2000 km road trip two summers ago. Broke twice, but made it home. Was a blast but only because we were going to explore awesome driving roads and do car related things. Also this was a group of 10 guys, all die hard car guys, who were (mostly) willing to put up with delays from broke stuff. Yours is probably far more reliable than my garbage, but any modified car can have issues.

If this was a vacation with my significant other geared towards sightseeing and relaxation, I would 100% be taking my newer, reliable, comfortable, and covered by roadside assistance truck. The awesome driving roads you encounter will make you want the car there, but the hours of highways, steep parking garages, construction and and unfamiliar roads will make you want a nice capable "regular" car.

RedSN
01-14-2019, 09:43 AM
As discussed at wing night: it's a 13 y/o lowered and loud, gas guzzling beast. Cool as hell, but I think it would wear on me after a couple of days. The bigger question is: which car would your wife choose? It's a long trip back from the Maritimes.

Slick_89_Hatch
01-14-2019, 09:44 AM
I'd have no issues taking mine as long as the weather is decent....no A/C so windows need to me open!

ZR
01-14-2019, 09:47 AM
My answer is simple, Cobra is heading to State College PA this summer, would I go further, hell yes I would. Car has all options intact n working, Recaro's are very comfortable. In spite of what many would think, fuel mileage is well on the decent side if I'm driving realistically, just doesn't happen often is all. Oh, no matter how you drive mine around town, pig-ola.

mavrrrick
01-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Id put a bra on (THE CAR!!) to protect it. I bought one for the hood only, don't make one for the CS.

Laffs
01-14-2019, 09:57 AM
As discussed at wing night: it's a 13 y/o lowered and loud, gas guzzling beast. Cool as hell, but I think it would wear on me after a couple of days. The bigger question is: which car would your wife choose? It's a long trip back from the Maritimes.

LOL forgot about gas. I was getting a stellar 15mpg highway.

ZR
01-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Driving accordingly, can see low to mid 20s on mine.

NickD
01-14-2019, 10:25 AM
I'd rent an 18.
Al the pros none of the cons.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Laffs
01-14-2019, 10:30 AM
^ Could do that, or look at Turo app where ever you are going and rent something cool for a day of backroads driving.

92redragtop
01-14-2019, 10:36 AM
I drove the fox vert to Florida twice in it's (and my) earlier days and it was fun. As a more creaky and wiser human being today, I would take the vehicle that is easier on my back and joints over the longer hauls (if I'm not spending most of the time cruising around at destination - even then, I just rented a Mustang - like west coast).

newbiestangowner
01-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Mustang all the way!
I’ve always taken mustang ( family of 4 too) to Florida/Miami ( regret was not going further to the Keys, and most recently to New York and Washington.
Reliable? ( does your Mustang break now?-if not then) Hell Ya reliable, numerous mini trips to Mexico included too- I don’t think I will ever ever drive any suv/cuv on any road trip. Wife always says take Mustang cause I don’t want you mumbling “ we should’ve taken Mustang” the whole trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screw
01-14-2019, 11:51 AM
I know I wouldn’t trust my 06 and it’s not boosted , if I had a 2011-12 Boss that would be my road trip car ...to BC and drop down to Cali, Vegas and back ... bucket list of mine

NickD
01-14-2019, 03:03 PM
For me it's not reliability concerns it's comfort and convenience.

Mustang needs 94- other put any old gas
My 05 seats are not very comfortable
Noise, the Mustangs quiet at cruise but it's not EcoBoost quit
Gas mileage- mine at least with the 4.10s drinks gas.

Fun factor mustang, when I went on Ryan's Algonquin cruise there were many times I thought to myself...I took the wrong car (wanted to be able to keep up with Rons racecar)

bluetoy
01-14-2019, 05:52 PM
I would drive mine any where. Runs on 91, 4:10 gears. It's comfy and nothing beats top down driving

newbiestangowner
01-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Fun factor mustang, when I went on Ryan's Algonquin cruise there were many times I thought to myself...I took the wrong car (wanted to be able to keep up with Rons racecar)

You complain too much about comfort lol , put a pillow under your butt and as I remembered someone in a white 18 passed me engine screaming- it don’t take much to keep up with “ slow turd”

DinoZ
01-14-2019, 06:45 PM
Uncle Buck, first that is a good looking car, 19” rims?

I would not hesitate, furthermore I got rid of all my British sports cars (TR/MGB’s) for that reason alone, North American car for North American roads, I plan on the same with my wife later this summer. Heck, if you break down, there’s a Ford dealer in almost every town.

Uncle Buck
01-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Uncle Buck, first that is a good looking car, 19” rims?

I would not hesitate, furthermore I got rid of all my British sports cars (TR/MGB’s) for that reason alone, North American car for North American roads, I plan on the same with my wife later this summer. Heck, if you break down, there’s a Ford dealer in almost every town.

Thanks for the compliment. Scrape made it extra pretty this year with a buff and polish. It's on 20's but have thought about going to 18's some day. I still love those Roush wheels though.

Uncle Buck
01-14-2019, 07:01 PM

I had mine tuned with 91 in the tank so I didn't need to chase octane on road trips. A few ponys on the table but it makes life easier. I hear you about the seats. They're good for a few hours but after that not so much. I have 373 gears so I see 10 or 11/100km when cruising.

Maybe a few spring cruises will make up my mind.

Uncle Buck
01-14-2019, 07:07 PM
This car is no stranger to road trips.

When it was NA I took it to Ottawa twice, Algonquin cruise once and to New Brunswick twice.

Nothing too far since adding boost although it did go to Kingston last summer.

It's been a very reliable car so far. Did the alternator and that's it.

NickD
01-14-2019, 07:29 PM
You complain too much about comfort lol , put a pillow under your butt and as I remembered someone in a white 18 passed me engine screaming- it don’t take much to keep up with “ slow turd”

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIm an old man ...
I only passed you because you weren't accelerating.... Heck I had to leave it in sport+ just too keep up with you coyotes driving normally

Al, I change my vote to take the mustang

newbiestangowner
01-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Im an old man ...
I only passed you because you weren't accelerating.... Heck I had to leave it in sport+ just too keep up with you coyotes driving normally

Al, I change my vote to take the mustang

Nick, Nick that was accelerating lol
Take the Mustang Al!
Win win- adventure of the “ drive” plus “ destination “

ZR
01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Keep in mind, if you get stuck in a spot that doesn't carry octane you need, fill with regular but keep it 100% out of boost until you can gas up again. Cobra has run just fine on regular a time or three.

mavrrrick
01-14-2019, 08:01 PM
Well... I’m am old’ish and I would probably do a trip that long in the DD, for comfort and storage reasons. Love my stang but that’s a long drive. Then there’s fuel cost.

newbiestangowner
01-14-2019, 08:10 PM
Well... I’m am old’ish and I would probably do a trip that long in the DD, for comfort and storage reasons. Love my stand but that’s a long drive. Then there’s fuel cost.

Mine averaged 9 -11 L highway giving her plenty of squeeze along the way. Truck space totally full like a big LEGO block. You’d be surprised how much mustang truck can fit- border agents took a look and said “ ummm” I said I can take stuff out if you like .
Back end dropped even more - looked like I was on super sports or sportlines
with passengers
The only pain was how small mustang fuel tank was. I would have liked less stops for gas

hammerhead
01-14-2019, 09:15 PM
That looks like a nice ride to me - Throw a rack on the roof and pile on the luggage - sand bag and hustle every Honda, Vdub, and Miata you come across and make some extra coin...have some fun!!

Screw
01-14-2019, 09:18 PM
I have no issue with creature comfort in the 06 Gt , heck of a lot better than my RAV4 . Fak it , nothing like seeing the country in sport mode . Like you said UB do a few spring cruises and gauge it from there .

hammerhead
01-14-2019, 09:33 PM
I know I wouldn’t trust my 06 and it’s not boosted , if I had a 2011-12 Boss that would be my road trip car ...to BC and drop down to Cali, Vegas and back ... bucket list of mine

I have one kinda like that - always wanted to fly to Cali and drive back some kind of mint badass car like a '55 nomad gaser or something crazy

Mustang4
01-15-2019, 12:37 AM
Take the Mustang, make some new memories with it.

Gr8Stang
01-15-2019, 04:32 PM
Depending on how loud your exhaust is with/without drone, it could get annoying on a long trip. Bring some ear plugs, problem solved.

Trip out east in the Stang would be memorable and fun I think.

DinoZ
01-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Take the cannolis , leave the gun. Take the mustang, leave the daily driver.
That’s what Clemenza would do and so should you.

Uncle Buck
01-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Lots of votes for taking the mustang but then I saw this in another thread.

ZR
01-16-2019, 09:24 AM
^ So obviously you'll need to under boost most of the miles, win win situation in my eyes.

1quikgt
01-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Lots of votes for taking the mustang but then I saw this in another thread.

Remember speed limit is higher in New Brunswick plus apparently not enough cops so they don’t really do radar anymore on anything but the highway.:thumbsup:

Chinga
01-16-2019, 11:18 PM
No I would not.

RioCobra
01-17-2019, 08:57 AM
I've done a summer road trip to Nova Scotia annually for the last 10 years or so.
We usually go down in August when the weather is the warmest.
Lots to see just in NS. Cape Breton, Glooscap Trail is a neat drive. Clam Harbour Beach is awesome, and has a massive sand castle building competition. If you can get to the lookout for the Annapolis Valley, what a view!

We have done both the Canadian route, and the USA. The Canadian way is 2 lane blacktop and wide open. La Pocatiere in Quebec is great place to stop for a break. It's right on the St Lawrence, and if the weather is favorable, there will be people kite surfing, pretty neat to see, plus you can get gas, washrooms, there is a Tim Horton's and McDonalds.

US side is smaller highways and brings you through small towns. I loved Maine. Lots to see in Vermont, and NH. We drove up MT Washington, that was an experience.
You could go down Canada and back USA, or the other way.

We have also done the ferry across from Digby, NS to St. John NB.
If you go this route, try to get across to Saint John before dark, as the risk of moose at night is crazy.

Be prepared for bugs, bugs, bugs, and then the possibility of stone chips.
Any provincial parks are dirt roads, and will cover your car.
You could be socked in with fog down east at any time, sometimes for days.
Speed limit through New Brunswick is 120kmh, so 125kmh it is lol.

If you're ok with the wear and tear on the stang, and maybe a 3M clear wrap on the bumper and hood, I would take the stang.

fast Ed
01-17-2019, 10:17 AM
C'mon Al, if I can drive a 73 Super Beetle (that I'd just bought) from Calgary back home to the GTA, certainly your late-model Mustang can survive the planned excursion. :stickpoke:

Screw
01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
MOOSE @ NIGHT YES , scared the crap out of me, I stayed behind the big rigs at night hoping they would clear the path if necessary

Gabe
01-18-2019, 08:31 PM
I am considering taking my foxbody to Tennessee in May, I say go for it

Mustang4
01-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Remember speed limit is higher in New Brunswick plus apparently not enough cops so they don’t really do radar anymore on anything but the highway.:thumbsup:

So true and the roads are light on traffic, often your car will have lots of open road. Saw 1 cop over the course of a week.

1quikgt
01-20-2019, 02:00 AM
So true and the roads are light on traffic, often your car will have lots of open road. Saw 1 cop over the course of a week.

We were there in September for 7 days and drove from Dalhousie down to Shediac and then back thru Quebec. Only cop we saw in NB was just inside the border when we were leaving lol.

stangstevers
01-27-2019, 08:10 AM
We are thinking about heading to PEI... I could drive the new GT to Vancouver and want more.

shakin
01-27-2019, 12:19 PM
Take the Mustang - Have an adventure - YOLO

charlie9294
01-28-2019, 02:24 PM
took my sn95 to sarnia from niagara 2 days after building and installing a mild engine. its a great way to work out any little bugs. mine ended up getting 25mpg while cruising, and didnt need anything but more gas when i got home. 3 weeks later i did the same trip and developed a header leak but well worth the trip

Quicksilver
02-05-2019, 11:40 AM
I once drove my (then 2 year old) 99 GT vert to Florida and back. Absolutely no concerns. I've driven my 04 Cobra to Detroit for Woodward, 3 times.
In the fall of '15 I drove my '14 GT vert on a 6000km, 10 day road trip through Ohio, Virginia and North Carolina along the Blue Ridge parkway to run "the Tail of The Dragon" and Deal's Gap.
Almost 30 MPG on the highway. Top down the entire trip. Heaven.
This summer I plan on a road trip in my '17 GT out to Nova Scotia.

newbiestangowner
02-05-2019, 12:23 PM
I once drove my (then 2 year old) 99 GT vert to Florida and back. Absolutely no concerns. I've driven my 04 Cobra to Detroit for Woodward, 3 times.
In the fall of '15 I drove my '14 GT vert on a 6000km, 10 day road trip through Ohio, Virginia and North Carolina along the Blue Ridge parkway to run "the Tail of The Dragon" and Deal's Gap.
Almost 30 MPG on the highway. Top down the entire trip. Heaven.
This summer I plan on a road trip in my '17 GT out to Nova Scotia.

you better check the "used rides" before your summer trip- your car is for sale dude :shrug:

Speedtospare
02-07-2019, 05:02 PM
taking mine down to Mustang week in Myrtle beech in Sept. I will drive it anywhere, no problem