PDA

View Full Version : To Flu Shot...or Not to Flu Shot...that is the question

Gr8Stang
01-16-2019, 12:23 PM
How many here have gotten the flu shot and how has it worked out for you? Personally haven't gotten one....ever. So far so good....

newbiestangowner
01-16-2019, 12:58 PM
No didn’t get flu shot never ever but got the flu the flu this year. Real bad, the kind of “ wish for death “ kinda deals. Just starting to feel better and it’s a good month later.
The problem with the flu shot is it’s a guessing game some what. You hope W.H.O guessed right [emoji15]
Included in the vaccine is maybe 3-4 strains ,so bug is another strain then you’re out of luck.
Usually people at greatest risk 65 and up and under 5 flu shot is good, and they have % out there that will make you dizzy . ( % protection if virus changed/ unchanged)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavrrrick
01-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Same here. No flu shot this year (got it in past). Got flu in early December and hung on to me for 3 weeks.

newbiestangowner
01-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Same here. No flu shot this year (got it in past). Got flu in early December and hung on to me for 3 weeks.

So maybe both of us should have gotten the shot lol

Hutch
01-16-2019, 02:36 PM
I have only had the flu (at least I thought it was the flu, a cold x 10 with a bad fever)twice in around 12 years. Both of those years I got the flu shot. Never again. I’ll take my chances.

CON VERT
01-16-2019, 02:50 PM
With my Dr it's mandatory , haven't had the flu , sooooo ??? is it working ?????????????? , wife no shot , no flu either , sooooo , Verdict , works or NOT ???????????

newbiestangowner
01-16-2019, 02:52 PM
With my Dr it's mandatory , haven't had the flu , sooooo ??? is it working ?????????????? , wife no shot , no flu either , sooooo , Verdict , works or NOT ???????????

Guess it’s working Glen . No flu lol
Take it as having insurance you never use

bluetoy
01-16-2019, 05:21 PM
As stated earlier in this thread, the flu shot is a crap shoot. If the W.H.O. guesses wrong then the flu shot is useless. I have not had them for several years and I have not gotten sick, Not to mention my kid who is in Grade 11 and exposed to every kind of crap going around. No flu shots here anymore. We only got sick when we got the shots. If my doctor told me I had to get one I'd get a new doctor and report him to the college of physicians and surgeons. A doctor cannot force anyone to take anything.

CON VERT
01-16-2019, 05:50 PM
^^^ My DR didn't force me to do, but he strongly advised me to, age and health concerns !

Gr8Stang
01-16-2019, 08:40 PM
My opinion is that for those that are healthy, the flu shot is very debatable. Personally, I'd like to have my own immune system fight the virus.

For those with compromised immune systems, it probably makes more sense.

The other thing I've heard is people that get the flu shot and very shortly thereafter get sick.

newbiestangowner
01-16-2019, 08:48 PM
My opinion is that for those that are healthy, the flu shot is very debatable. Personally, I'd like to have my own immune system fight the virus.

For those with compromised immune systems, it probably makes more sense.

The other thing I've heard is people that get the flu shot and very shortly thereafter get sick.

Like you mean naturally exposed -instead of immune system being jump started to fight something.

Not uncommon/ unheard of getting sick after- being injected with 3/4 weakened strains of influenza

Mellow Yellow
01-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Never had the flu shot. Had flu once seven years ago. Not since.

Windjammer
01-16-2019, 10:56 PM
^^^ My DR didn't force me to do, but he strongly advised me to, age and health concerns !

Me too Glen No arguments from me on it. Got all the others pneumonia, shingles,flu, and a couple of others too .

1quikgt
01-17-2019, 12:24 AM
Hadn’t done the flu shot for the past 15 years until my wife made me get them the last couple years when our daughter was born. Have had the flu twice over that time span neither of which was in the last 2 years. So I have no idea if it works but happy wife, happy life I know works for sure lol.

Chinga
01-17-2019, 08:24 AM
If your Doctor suggests a course of treatment follow it, unless of course you are a Doctor with your own opinion.

Scrape
01-17-2019, 08:45 AM
I have done it for many years without any issues but didn't do it this year. My doctor told me that I should have done it in late November to make it effective. Because I had a cold she could not give me the shot.

hammerhead
01-17-2019, 12:20 PM
have never got the flu shot - in fact never go to the doctor - emergency room yes...lol for a while they new me by name and kept the stitches and tetanus handy!

hammerhead
01-18-2019, 08:44 AM
I was a frequent flier at emerg for a while too. Now most injuries are out recreating. My field med kit is a staple gun from my last emerg visit, crazy glue and a few bandaids and a roll of hockey tape.

hahaha - I always carry a roll of electrical tape, that's pretty much sums up my first aid kit

hammerhead
01-18-2019, 08:48 AM
Me too Glen No arguments from me on it. Got all the others pneumonia, shingles,flu, and a couple of others too .

had pneumonia myself too - not fun can understand now how it kills people

mavrrrick
01-20-2019, 11:19 PM
F***.... got flu again!!!

newbiestangowner
01-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Take care man. Hopefully last illness for the season.

Old Fart
01-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Got my shot last week. I'm a hermit so didn't get it since I left work. But now helping brother at his work so decided to have it done.

Gabe
01-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Never get one and never get sick

WidowrRacing
01-21-2019, 11:36 AM
I’ve also never had the flu shot and can’t remember the last time I even had the flu.