View Full Version : Lawnmower Class Action Lawsuit.

True Blue
01-26-2019, 07:51 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/lawnmower-lawsuit-class-action-settlement-1.4987042
http://www.lawnmowersettlement.ca/

Claimants have until May 22, 2019 to file a claim that could be worth $15 to $55 per mower

Persons in Canada are eligible to make a claim if:
you purchased a gas-powered walk-behind or riding lawn mower designed, manufactured or labelled by any defendant* which contains a gas combustible engine labelled at 30 horsepower or less ("Lawn Mower");
you purchased the Lawn Mower between January 1, 1994 and December 31, 2012; and
you purchased the Lawn Mower in Canada.

Eligible End Users who provide a declaration without further proof of purchase or proof of
horsepower will receive $15 per claimant subject to the terms of paragraphs 21 and 22.

If an Eligible End User is able to provide proof of the horsepower rating of their Lawn
Mower Purchases, they will be provided compensation for their Lawn Mower Purchases
as follows, subject to the terms as set out in paragraphs 21 and 22:
a. walk-behind Lawn Mowers with engines under 5 horsepower – $20;
b. walk-behind Lawn Mowers with engines 5 horsepower or more – $35;
c. riding Lawn Mowers with engines under 18 horsepower – $45; and
d. riding Lawn Mowers with engines 18 horsepower or more – $55.

ZR
01-26-2019, 10:00 AM
Ever wonder why few rate lawnmowers or snowblower h/p anymore? I'd bet recent blower I had would struggle to make 3/4 of it's claimed power on a dyno. Run side by side against my worn out 21yr old 8 h/p blower which cleared heavy snow with relative ease, fell flat on it's face. Yet another way we as consumers continue to get hooped.

newbiestangowner
01-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Makes you wonder about manufacturers claims from everything from computer, phone , internet speeds etc . Even hp claims auto- but at least auto some instances were under rating for insurance purposes- unless we buy and check - I guess what I’m saying is as I consumer I just want to get what I’m paying for- state the truth and cut the lies bull shit then we decide to buy it, maybe too much to ask for

Did someone actually dyno their mower? It’s not something I would normally do so this type thing would have continued forever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
01-26-2019, 01:03 PM
Remember a new mower I purchased few years ago seemed gutless dispite the raited Hp. Multching was pointless.

True Blue
01-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Remember a new mower I purchased few years ago seemed gutless dispite the raited Hp. Multching was pointless.

Totally agree... I have a 6.5hp Toro mower, damn thing chokes when mulching on 1 week growth of grass. Why aren't snowblowers part of this lawsuit?

Snaketamer
05-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Thanks, True Blue...
When you posted up this thread, on the lawnmower class action suit, I figured what the hell. I had purchased a Lawnboy self propelled mower in the required time frame and if I could recoup 25 or 30 bucks, I'd be happy. Cus ya know us pensioners have to watch our pennies. So, I filled out the required paperwork and sent it in with a few pics of the mower. It was just a matter of waiting to see if it qualified and wait for a check... :D
A couple months later, I was sent a confirmation email informing me that my mower was indeed approved to be included in the lawsuit. Fast forward to this afternoon and low and behold in my mailbox is a letter from the Canadian Lawn Mower Class Action Administrator. I opened the envelope, well expecting to see a check for ~$30... I nearly fell over... inside was a check for $162.04.
:ohmygod::party:
My beer budget just got a nice infusion of cold hard cash! Not sure if my liver is happy as this lockdown has done nothing to limit my consumption of alcohol...lol

Anywho...thanks again, True Blue:highfive:

Gr8Stang
05-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Thanks, True Blue...
When you posted up this thread, on the lawnmower class action suit, I figured what the hell. I had purchased a Lawnboy self propelled mower in the required time frame and if I could recoup 25 or 30 bucks, I'd be happy. Cus ya know us pensioners have to watch our pennies. So, I filled out the required paperwork and sent it in with a few pics of the mower. It was just a matter of waiting to see if it qualified and wait for a check... :D
A couple months later, I was sent a confirmation email informing me that my mower was indeed approved to be included in the lawsuit. Fast forward to this afternoon and low and behold in my mailbox is a letter from the Canadian Lawn Mower Class Action Administrator. I opened the envelope, well expecting to see a check for ~$30... I nearly fell over... inside was a check for $162.04.
:ohmygod::party:
My beer budget just got a nice infusion of cold hard cash! Not sure if my liver is happy as this lockdown has done nothing to limit my consumption of alcohol...lol

Anywho...thanks again, True Blue:highfive:

Ditto for me. $162.04. I'm guessing many didn't file for a claim (either couldn't be bothered or didn't have the proof of purchase info. needed), so the payout was higher for those that did. :thumbsup::cheers:

True Blue
05-12-2020, 04:01 PM
Awesome! Enjoy a cold one, in my honour. :thumbsup:

I got a cheque for $69.44 X 2

Old Fart
05-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Got my check as well :rockon:

bluetoy
05-13-2020, 12:20 PM
I just got a cheque today. $69.44 I didn't still have the bill from a mower I bought in 1998.

G-ForceJunkie
05-13-2020, 03:42 PM
Any accountants have any thoughts on the tax implications of this money? To me, it wouldn't make sense for it be taxable, but the notice that came with the cheque implies it may be.

IanGTCS
05-13-2020, 06:47 PM
I feel like I applied for this years ago. Not sure if I applied for myself or my parents and I moved a year ago. Ah well, it would have been the lowest amount anyways.

JZ67
05-13-2020, 08:40 PM
Damn! I missed this. I would have qualified. I bought a very expensive Husqvarna. I love the machine but it would have been nice to get a cheque.

FABMAN
05-16-2020, 06:48 AM
Wish I saw this thread when it came out. I would have applied as well.

Scrape
05-16-2020, 06:40 PM
Same here.
Wish I saw this thread when it came out. I would have applied as well.