PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth? 2008 VW GTI (Blown Engine)

True Blue
01-31-2019, 09:48 AM
The engine in my father in-law's 2008 VW Golf GTI blew, car has the DSG tranny and with only 160K on it. What could he sell it for as a complete parts car? His mechanic wants about $4000 to re & re a junkyard engine in it. I don't think it's worth fixing.

ZR
01-31-2019, 09:55 AM
If the car is clean, worth about 2k more than repair is going to cost. Comes down to current condition plus if he really wants a new car or not.
What happened to it, low miles for engine failure.

FoxRod
01-31-2019, 10:18 AM
I'd be concerned with the DSG if it's due for its maintenance as well $$$...

hammerhead
01-31-2019, 10:27 AM
^^^yup^^ that's about the right mileage for the tranny to maybe be an issue, had a buddy cost him 6g's to replace (no fixing just replace) a tranny 6 months after he bought the car used - not sure I would trust a scrap yard engine either...sometimes the imports are no better than domestic's

Old Fart
01-31-2019, 10:33 AM
Could not select "Golf" GTI.

https://i.postimg.cc/5y50F50r/Untitled.png

True Blue
01-31-2019, 10:36 AM
The car is clean. I'm seeing similar cars listed with higher mileage asking $6-8K. There's no plans on keeping the car if he does get the engine fixed.

What he told me... During his drive home in that snow storm on Monday, he could smell a little oil burning in the cabin, but got home with no issues and no dash lights. Tried to go to work on Tuesday backed the car out of the garage engine started knocking a minute later the piston rod came out of the block.

True Blue
01-31-2019, 10:38 AM
I'd be concerned with the DSG if it's due for its maintenance as well $$$...

All the maintenance has been done on the tranny.

hammerhead
01-31-2019, 10:43 AM
maybe developed an oil leak somewhere lost oil during commute would be my guess - don't know much about these cars but sometimes this happens with cars that have external oil pumps - not sure if this engine has the external oil pump - but they are common in most modern cars now with small engines...

True Blue
01-31-2019, 10:54 AM
maybe developed an oil leak somewhere lost oil during commute would be my guess - don't know much about these cars but sometimes this happens with cars that have external oil pumps - not sure if this engine has the external oil pump - but they are common in most modern cars now with small engines...

No oil leaks... The car went on the lift when it was brought into the shop, the mechanic looked it over and said it's spotless. Same shop did the oil change 3 weeks ago. I told my FIL maybe they didn't put enough oil, he said he watched them do the oil change and personally checked the dipstick.

I don't know what to think.

Scrape
01-31-2019, 10:59 AM
Go on vwvortex.com and look around there and see what it maybe worth. Also GTA Volkswagen/Audi Buy,sell,trade on facebook is quite helpful as well.

5.4MarkVIII
01-31-2019, 11:13 AM
No oil leaks... The car went on the lift when it was brought into the shop, the mechanic looked it over and said it's spotless. Same shop did the oil change 3 weeks ago. I told my FIL maybe they didn't put enough oil, he said he watched them do the oil change and personally checked the dipstick.

Had a old Vw years ago and it would eat oil. Never leaked a drop. Never any noticeable smoke. But always down oil. had to top it up every time I filled the tank.

True Blue
01-31-2019, 11:15 AM
Anyone looking for a project? :)

hammerhead
01-31-2019, 11:16 AM

yah it's hard but the oil leaks at the external oil pumps just happen randomly at a gasket or the oil seal. They are usually driven by the crank - again I don't know if this car has an external oil pump but if the smell of oil was detected in the cabin it was likely leaking onto the exhaust as opposed to coming out of the tail pipe- may want to check that the correct oil filter was used or if it may of come lose and leaked - this happens too - maybe the mechanic or oil changer was at fault - best of luck that really sucks

True Blue
01-31-2019, 11:30 AM
yah it's hard but the oil leaks at the external oil pumps just happen randomly at a gasket or the oil seal. They are usually driven by the crank - again I don't know if this car has an external oil pump but if the smell of oil was detected in the cabin it was likely leaking onto the exhaust as opposed to coming out of the tail pipe- may want to check that the correct oil filter was used or if it may of come lose and leaked - this happens too - maybe the mechanic or oil changer was at fault - best of luck that really sucks

Thanks man!

The mechanic he goes to (for many years), owns a well known shop that specializes in VW/Audi's in Toronto. All I'm going by is heresay and would love to see the car myself to make a better judgement of this whole ordeal. Something is not adding up! But it's out of my hands.

hammerhead
01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Thanks man!

The mechanic he goes to (for many years), owns a well known shop that specializes in VW/Audi's in Toronto. All I'm going by is heresay and would love to see the car myself to make a better judgement of this whole ordeal. Something is not adding up! But it's out of my hands.

that's too bad...cars are disheartening at times!

Ponyryd
02-01-2019, 04:20 PM
I’d say the car is worth maybe $4k if it’s clean, likely less though. Put it up fir $5k and see what happens, probably a $2500-3k car though.
Is he buying something new? Might be wise to use it as a trade since they will just send it to auction, they may give him a good trade price

True Blue
02-02-2019, 07:46 AM
I’d say the car is worth maybe $4k if it’s clean, likely less though. Put it up fir $5k and see what happens, probably a $2500-3k car though.
Is he buying something new? Might be wise to use it as a trade since they will just send it to auction, they may give him a good trade price

He's looking to retire in the next couple of months. So buying new is not worth it, as he wont be putting many kms on what ever he picks up. This VW had perfect timing to drop its shit, putting my FIL in a bad predicament. I told him we'll list it on Kijiji for $4K, it should easily sell for $3K-3.5K.

I haven't talked to him in the last couple of days, I don't know what he whats to do yet. Knowing the way he thinks he'll end up getting the engine replaced and selling the car after.

Ponyryd
02-02-2019, 09:16 AM
He's looking to retire in the next couple of months. So buying new is not worth it, as he wont be putting many kms on what ever he picks up. This VW had perfect timing to drop its shit, putting my FIL in a bad predicament. I told him we'll list it on Kijiji for $4K, it should easily sell for $3K-3.5K.

I haven't talked to him in the last couple of days, I don't know what he whats to do yet. Knowing the way he thinks he'll end up getting the engine replaced and selling the car after.

It’s a crappy situation, and I don’t mean to say the car is worthless, I’m just being realistic. They have a huge following, and they are worth money, but needing an engine is huge, especially since the buyer can’t drive the car so they have no idea what else it needs. The trans is also questionable, so many may be scared of that as well.
Being that it’s kijiji I’d list it for $5k, cuz it seems the standard offer is half or less, so you’d get better offers, if any. You could also list the car and say “trade for something road-ready”, and you may get an offer for a replacement vehicle, which would be a win/win I would think.

83 5.0
02-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Had this situation in August, wifes 2012 VW EOS convertible timing chain adjustor broke, resulting in the engine blowing. Car was mint, but 187k kms. Used motor was like $3500+, plus installation ($2000), for a car that may have been worth $8000. Dealer gave us $2500.00 off a new Golf, best deal we could get given it was not running. Sucked the amount of depreciation we took on this, having it just under 7 years.