PDA

View Full Version : Question for furnace guys.

5.4MarkVIII
02-02-2019, 11:39 AM
Installing a 45000 btu “hot dawg” heater in my garage. And where I had planned on hanging it was gonna allow the vent to go straight out the back and out the wall. But it’s too close to the eve over hang.

The installation code requires a downward slope of 1/4” per foot can I run it steeper than that?

To clear the eve I would have to install the vent at about a 15 degrees angle down.

Cap will be 18 inches minimum from the face of the eve

Ontariomystic
02-02-2019, 11:41 AM
Installing a 45000 btu “hot dawg” heater in my garage. And where I had planned on hanging it was gonna allow the vent to go straight out the back and out the wall. But it’s too close to the eve over hang.

The installation code requires a downward slope of 1/4” per foot can I run it steeper than that?

To clear the eve I would have to install the vent at about a 15 degrees angle down.

Cap will be 18 inches minimum from the face of the eve

I don't believe the slope is a code, more of a manufacturer recommendation so the condensation runs out. Steeper angle is fine just might look funny.

5.4MarkVIII
02-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Sweet. Thanks. Limited places where I can fit this thing. Until the garage is redone.

RedSN
02-02-2019, 12:15 PM
When vented horizontally, maintain a 1/4" per foot rise away from the heater and place a drip leg with clean out near the unit as shown in Figure 10.2. Where local authorities have jurisdiction, a 1/4" per foot downward slope is acceptable with a drip leg and clean out near the exit of the vent as shown in Figure 10.3, or allow the condensate to drip out the end
Might have to check with the municipality to see if you can install it downward. It will create a lot of ice under the vent and could be a hazard.

I sloped mine inward and installed a condensation trap.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Garage-Project/i-rQzpv2Z/0/68248bba/M/IMG_0044_zps6z1mgq3p-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Garage-Project/i-nzG3vCt/0/9065b13d/L/IMG_0045_zps4sxgrkzg-L.jpg

5.4MarkVIII
02-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Slope is too much to get the pipe on. Gonna have to lower the heater anyway

Ontariomystic
02-02-2019, 12:53 PM
I'm not totally up to par on codes or guidelines for garage heaters, I'm a commercial/Industrial guy. But these heaters should not condense much moisture at there efficiency of only 80% if that. Not a huge concern IMO.

RedSN
02-02-2019, 01:08 PM
^^^correct. The vent pipe is hot enough that I’ve never seen any condensation coming out of the drain.

Screw
02-02-2019, 01:15 PM
I’ve seen them slope towards the outside wall , seen guys cheat with BVent horizontal and downward slope ..

5.4MarkVIII
02-02-2019, 02:32 PM
thanks guys. tight for space and don't want it to hang any lower. got it hooked up and ready for the gas guy run the line from the tank to the heater and get it all set up for me.

vent looks silly angled like that but its on the back so no one will see it but me any my neighbor. and if it does condense a little no big deal it will just drip beside my wood pile.

man all this new vent required is EXPENSIVE, easily spend more on venting than on a heater depending on run.

Ill just stick with dryers much easier. lol

Armen
02-02-2019, 05:04 PM
I think you should just stay out of your garage.

5.4MarkVIII
02-04-2019, 07:52 PM
I think you should just stay out of your garage.

car wont finish itself