PDA

View Full Version : Doggy dental...

Stephen06GT
02-07-2019, 08:56 PM
Okay all you dog owners, have any of you had your dog's teeth cleaned? Is it necessary or is it just a fad to make the owner feel better about caring for their four legged friend. I just got back from the vet and they want between $600 on the low end to over $1100 on the high. As a kid with a family dog, we never had his teeth professionally cleaned and he was fine before cancer took him at 11years old. What do you say?

5.4MarkVIII
02-07-2019, 09:08 PM
we use treats that help with teeth cleaning and bones and chew toys at 12 years old the vet said our dogs teeth are in great shape.

but not sure if breed or food type would be a factor. I have found that vets love to try and upsell food and other products. then we found a good one that is straightforward and honest.

Armen
02-07-2019, 09:09 PM
Some dogs, depending on the shape of their jaw etc are more prone to plaque build up - especially the back teeth.

I had my Pug’s teeth cleaned once. And it was about $600.

5.4MarkVIII
02-07-2019, 09:15 PM
my dentist charges me something like 100 for a cleaning. maybe book yourself a cleaning and see if your dentist notices. lol

Armen
02-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Hahahahaha ^

Now that was funny.

92redragtop
02-07-2019, 11:35 PM
As said above, breed and diet does make a difference in teeth condition with aging. Dental cleaning cost also depends on level of sedation, amount of cleaning required, etc. Over the years involved with pet rescue/re-homing we've seen older dogs that have had a lot of teeth removed due to dental issues that occurred due to poor condition/dental disease (usually rear and side teeth). Our first dog we had for 16 years and he had a handful of cleanings at the vet over that time but we mostly cleaned his teeth ourselves (brushing) and used good food/treats to manage dental care. Our last rescue, Tashi (toy poodle mix) had several teeth removed prior to us adopting her, and our current little guy, Rusty (Yorkie/Shih Tzu mix) also had to have a few teeth removed a couple years ago (we brush his teeth but this did not happen in his first home). We also give him dental treats to help with cleaning.

Laffs
02-07-2019, 11:35 PM
It seems to depend on the dog as Armen mentinoed. My two family dogs may god rest their souls, went 16 and 15 years on this earth and the vet never recommended a cleaning and said they were both great. Our current blessing is a 11 year old Maltese Poodle, the vet recommends an intensive cleaning each year which he has to be sedated for. Sounds based on price that's what situation you're in. I think it's worth it, you can see the plaque build up for him. TBH the wife brush his teeth, and that seems to help a great deal as well but he stills ends up needing the cleaning and has had to have a few removed.

CON VERT
02-08-2019, 06:43 AM
I only ever had my dogs teeth cleaned if something else needed to be done, my current dog (mini aussie) had her teeth cleaned when she was spayed last year, mainly for maintenance, $100 , she is on a raw diet and u have never seen such clean teeth , proper chew toys are also a must !
My Golden's were a little more challenging , but again never did them unless something else was done to have anesthetic involved !

I've always been told that putting a dog "under" is not a great idea, lots of complications etc, IMHO ~ wait till something else is needed ! till then lots of chewy toys , rubber nubbly balls, bones etc, + In our case the "raw diet" mixtures of raw meats & ground bones etc, keeps them looking white & healthy !

mavrrrick
02-08-2019, 08:27 AM
my dentist charges me something like 100 for a cleaning. maybe book yourself a cleaning and see if your dentist notices. lol

My dentist would notice....dogs better looking!!!

1quikgt
02-08-2019, 11:39 PM
Never once had my labs teeth cleaned as the vet always said she was fine. Our coonhound/pointer cross has had it once already and is going again in a couple weeks for the second time. They both ate the same food so I guess it’s just the dog. Same as us humans, some don’t get cavities and others do no matter the cleaning regiment they use.

JZ67
02-09-2019, 10:42 AM
In our case the "raw diet" mixtures of raw meats & ground bones etc, keeps them looking white & healthy !

This for my pooch too. Plus we alway have raw bones at the ready and antlers around. He will often pick one up and start chewing.

Stephen06GT
04-13-2019, 04:30 PM
Took Phil to Kissable K9s today. The before and after picture speaks for itself:

Stephen06GT
04-13-2019, 04:34 PM
Oh, I forgot the best part. The price was only$169.00 plus tax and it only took an hour.

Chinga
04-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Shit the Great Aunt took her little mutt to the Vet and they wanted $1000.00 for the cleaning.

92redragtop
04-26-2019, 09:03 PM
They did a good job - I do notice they only do from gum line down so they don't get the plaque above the gum line (like the dentist does with your teeth during a cleaning). The vet will do above the gum line if needed and that's when the price goes up.

Does Phil have a broken tooth?

bbriann
04-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Got a 400 recommend for my Male husky, sedated required

dbovine
04-27-2019, 10:29 PM
My sister, who is a vet. First thing she checks on my dogs is their teeth, She recommends periodic brushing combined with dog chews meant to help control and reduce the plaque build up.

hsousa88
04-28-2019, 09:59 AM
Oh, I forgot the best part. The price was only$169.00 plus tax and it only took an hour.

That’s a great deal.

Vet’s here in T.O are a complete ripoff. Got quoted $1k to clean my 11 pound min pins teeth. Out to lunch.

Armen
04-28-2019, 10:47 AM
As soon as you knock a dog out with anesthesia, it’s gonna get pricey. Plus the amount of plaque will determine how long the actual cleaning takes.

Chews with enzymes to break down plaque and regular brushing will go a long way to keeping your pups teeth clean and bright.

Stephen06GT
04-28-2019, 11:55 AM
As soon as you knock a dog out with anesthesia, it’s gonna get pricey. Plus the amount of plaque will determine how long the actual cleaning takes.

Chews with enzymes to break down plaque and regular brushing will go a long way to keeping your pups teeth clean and bright.
Any recommendations on the chews?

Armen
04-28-2019, 12:40 PM
https://www.amazon.com/d/Dog-Snacks/Virbac-Enzymatic-Hygiene-Chews-Large/B001P3NU30