PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower belt advice. Kevlar type?

83 5.0
02-14-2019, 07:46 PM
I have an old MTD 8 hp/27" blower that runs great (about 40 years old), but it goes through an Auger belt a season.
I blew a new belt out in the heavy slushy snow we had the other night, I got through 7 neighbours driveways trying to be helpful. Probably was like a 2 seasons work out that night.
Anyways. It uses an A-39 belt, a neighbour mentioned maybe trying a Kevlar belt, can't seem to find one on line in Canada, only USA and UK.

Anyone experienced or know where I can get one? Princess Auto in Brampton was sold out of their generic basic belts, which I have been using, so currently I am SOL and looking to upgrade.

5.4MarkVIII
02-14-2019, 09:03 PM
have you talked to someone who services them? like a small engine guy. had a similar issue with an old riding mower I used to have. the belts you buy at places like tsc and Canadian tire are cheap, got one from a tractor place and no more problems

also check your pullies for cracks and excessive wear. that can cause belt issues as well

Stephen06GT
02-14-2019, 09:34 PM
also check your pullies for cracks and excessive wear. that can cause belt issues as well

^^This.

LX89
02-14-2019, 09:46 PM
I would buy a OEM MTD belt from a place that sells/services small equipment.
Other belts are likely going to be junk and not last or the wrong material.

Some belts for those machines might be an oddball size.

83 5.0
02-14-2019, 10:32 PM
I would buy a OEM MTD belt from a place that sells/services small equipment.
Other belts are likely going to be junk and not last or the wrong material.

Some belts for those machines might be an oddball size.

The model I have doesn't show up on the local Lawn and garden supplier, definitely an oddball size, figure the kevlar type are my last resort before buying a new blower.

LX89
02-14-2019, 10:48 PM
The model I have doesn't show up on the local Lawn and garden supplier, definitely an oddball size, figure the kevlar type are my last resort before buying a new blower.

Are you just looking at a website?
A small engine/equipment repair shop would likely have MTD parts manuals.
Not everything is always online,especially for old equipment.

LX89
02-14-2019, 10:59 PM
Try this MTD parts site.

https://www.mtdparts.com/equipment/mtdparts/parts/machine-types/snow-blower-thrower-parts/snow-blower-belts

83 5.0
02-14-2019, 11:04 PM
I was using Cliffs lawn and garden here in Oakville, they have tried to source a belt, but this one seems to be an orphan.
Pulleys all seem to be good, no cracks or burrs, even checked for any possible shar edges that might cut the belt.

5.4MarkVIII
02-14-2019, 11:23 PM
dosnt have to be a sharp edge or a burr, pulley should be a nice straight V if its wallowed out, it can cause the belt to bind and slip. breaking premature. same if the bearing or shaft that the pulley rides on causes the pully to not run true.

pulleys usually are not too expensive. would suck to pay for a good expensive belt and have the same thing to happen. been there myself

svorob
02-15-2019, 12:43 AM
I had the same issue on my OLD snowblower....It is a pain in the ass to actually get to the belt to replace, splitting the machine
what I found was the pulley on the "blower half" of the unit was a two piece pulley that is spot welded together and it started to separate causing the excessive wear
iirc it was about 12" dia

Also make sure the belt alignment is good... blew a belt off the next day learning that lesson

ZR
02-15-2019, 07:15 AM
Splitting machine to replace belts seems worse vs what it is. As said above, confirm tension / alignment is correct. Recently replaced original 20+yr old belts on my own blower, she's back to humming again. Took it on the chin and purchased pair of new OEM belts.

JZ67
02-15-2019, 08:14 AM
If you know the size of the belt, maybe try an industrial belt supplier like these guys.http://www.ontariobelting.com/consulting/

83 5.0
02-16-2019, 06:28 AM
Thanks for tips gents, Current power in Mississauga has a kevlar one, going to pick it up this week, and will double check the pulleys etc. Heres hopibg I would need it again this year.