PDA

View Full Version : Amber Alert - Were you annoyed by it?

Biz
02-15-2019, 06:38 PM
So this is the hot topic everywhere today.
Just curious how others feel.

Me personally not offended or annoyed by it but I did find it interesting and surprising that it blows right threw the iPhone Do Not Disturb (DND) feature.
On the iPhone this is not the same as mute.
There is a lot of misinformation going around today on that subject and I think that's one of the reason's many are upset.
DND allows people in your favourites to call threw when its set but will silence all other calls and texts.

Also friends of mine in the USA say they have full control of amber alerts on their phones but here in Canada we have no control.
Does that give the guv too much control over your own device?

Discuss.

Also the events leading up to this discussion are heart breaking.
RIP little angel!!! :(

Screw
02-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Not sure when it was sent out or if I received it , I do know I woke up at 12ish , looked at my phone went back to sleep . Was this in a form of a text ?

newbiestangowner
02-15-2019, 07:27 PM
I didn’t receive anything
iPhone with dnd enabled at that time and I was awake with phone beside me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laffs
02-15-2019, 07:36 PM
I received it, but it did not make a sound or anything, just showed up on the screen. I would have been upset if it had woken up my wife who's just getting on a different shift and having a hard time adjusting to sleep.

That said it's hard to really be that upset with something designed to prevent harm or injury to a child in peril, but part of me does wish we had more oversight on how it notified us.

mavrrrick
02-15-2019, 08:17 PM
I was annoyed at first but when I saw the alert I was good with it. Seriously people, if it was to save the life of your child you certainly wouldn’t bitch about it. If it saves 1 life or helps catch some asshole, it’s well worth it. JMO.

55 HD
02-15-2019, 08:25 PM
I was watching the Leaf game so was up. I heard the loud whistle and said what is that. We have 3 cell phones on the counter being charged and only 1 went off with the sound on high volume. Next was the interruption on TV so we then knew it was the Amber Alert. Didn't bother me, but glad it didn't happen when asleep or I might have shit my pants. RIP little one. Rot in HELL big one.

bbriann
02-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Yes blew through my Do Not Disturb (DND) feature on Samsung phone, this message should be delivered only when Do Not Disturb (DND) feature has timed out.
It is not a changing world but Canada is changing and this kind of situation that we historically have not been accustomed to will be happening more frequently so they can`t send out this type message every time it happens.... it is NOT a changing world, it is a changing Canada.

ZR
02-15-2019, 09:22 PM
More than ok with initial notification once up and saw what it was for. Irked to no end when alarm went off for second time an hour later saying alert was over, could not fall back to sleep. Part I do find ridiculous, unless phone is either turned off or volume to zero, can not opt out.

Armen
02-15-2019, 09:28 PM
No problem with it at all.

FoxRod
02-15-2019, 10:05 PM
I will need to bite my tongue for those who were annoyed, prolly the same one's who called 911 to report their annoyance...:slap:
https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toronto/news/peel-police-gets-inundated-with-complaints-about-the-late-hour-of-last-nights-amber-alert

Stephen06GT
02-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Iwas up for the first one and saw it on the TV, but it didn't come through my phone. The second one startled me when it went through my phone. So, annoyed no, startled yes.

Mustang4
02-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Not annoyed, surprised. Phone was in another room and so did not disturb me.

92redragtop
02-15-2019, 11:41 PM
It startled me but given a child was involved, no not annoyed. Sad tragic outcome.

Snaketamer
02-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Was up watching the game so...it didn't bother me. My phone did not sound but, my wife's did. What freaked me out was...our visiting grandson's monitor picked up the alert and blasted away. Luckily, it didn't wake him. I forgot to check the make and model of the monitor cus, I wanted to look into it.

stangstevers
02-16-2019, 05:20 AM
More sad that a child was missing... those who called 911 because they were annoyed are evil POS people.

83 5.0
02-16-2019, 06:31 AM
I didn't receive it, I run an old BlackBerry 10, myife and daughter did but it only vibrated.
It might annoy you but to have 3-400 people call 911 to complain. Mind boggling.

True Blue
02-16-2019, 07:06 AM
The alert startled the shit out of me and this was with my phone in the kitchen and I was upstairs. Thankfully it didn't wake up the kids. The alert system is a great idea, but I feel it still needs a lot more fine tuning.

WTF
02-16-2019, 08:46 AM
was sleeping...TV was off....don't own a cell phone

didn't know about it until CP24 around 545am

it's about as messed up a story as you can get

the POS that killed his little girl here inspires talk of bringing back the death penalty imo

5.4MarkVIII
02-16-2019, 09:32 AM
didn't hear a peep from my iPhone 7.

are they location specific now or just suppose to blast everywhere?

Hutch
02-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Cell phone was in the kitchen and I was in bed sleeping. Didn’t hear a thing. Even if it did wake me up I’d be fine with it. It’s a good reason

Chinga
02-16-2019, 10:13 AM
Who voted for annoyed? I am annoyed by your vote and you should seek help.

Biz
02-16-2019, 10:20 AM
The alert startled the shit out of me and this was with my phone in the kitchen and I was upstairs. Thankfully it didn't wake up the kids. The alert system is a great idea, but I feel it still needs a lot more fine tuning.

100% agree. We should be able to at least turn the audible tone off.
I don't know a single person who jumped out of bed to help with the alert.
That being said if you're out and can help with the situation then it's an awesome feature to have.
It helped catch the POS so it does work.

didn't hear a peep from my iPhone 7.

are they location specific now or just suppose to blast everywhere?

All of Ontario got it.
iPhone 7 should of got the alert.
Only way you don't hear it is
If your phone is off or set to mute.

It looks like this.

https://i.ibb.co/pbfQ4MH/IMG-6456.png (https://ibb.co/pbfQ4MH)

You may want to call your service provider and let them know.

https://www.alertready.ca/

More iPhone info:

Ability to receive an alert: Consumers should check their specific device against their wireless service providers list of wireless public alerting compatible devices. If your device is not on the carrier list, it is not compatible.

In addition, consumers should ensure that the SOFTWARE on their compatible device is kept up to date. Outdated software may affect a device’s ability to receive an alert even if it is compatible.

Timing of software updates may also impact whether devices will be wireless public alerting compatible on other wireless service provider’s LTE networks in instances when customers switch providers but bring their own phone.

Connection to LTE network: WPA-compatible devices must be connected to an LTE network at the time an alert is distributed. The symbols located in the upper right-hand corner of your device will help you to identify what network you are connected to.

However, it is important to understand that even if you’re in an area that has LTE coverage, what you are doing with your device at the time an alert is issued will impact your ability to receive it. For example:
•If you have set your device to Wi-Fi only, you will not receive an alert.
•If you are on a voice call at the time of the alert, you may not receive an alert. Voice calls may move your connection to a non-LTE network, like 3G, even if you are in an LTE area.
•If you are in a location that makes signal reception difficult at the time of the alert, such as an underground garage, you may not receive an alert.

Device settings: The emergency alert will follow user settings:
•The VOLUME of the alert will be the same volume as that which is set on your phone. Most devices have multiple setting controls for different features such as ringtone, media, notifications, and system. The Canadian Alerting Attention Signal is usually controlled by the Settings/Sounds & touch vibration settings (also known as Haptics setting).
•If your device is set with a REMINDER feature, this may cause the alert to repeat until you acknowledge it. This feature can be turned off following directions in your device’s User Guide.
•If your device is set to SILENT or DO NOT DISTURB mode, the alert will override the setting. This means that you will receive the alert at whatever user settings you have in place. You might not see or notice the alert even though your device has received it. The alert might be “hidden” with other notifications. You may need to scroll down to see the alert.

CDNfyrfytr
02-16-2019, 10:41 AM
My phone only vibrated but my wife’s went crazy and woke me up. Never would have known otherwise. I vote for startled not annoyed. The one to say it was canceled was, in my opinion, not necessary. I’m going to say that if it was my kid, I’d want everyone to be woken....

5.4MarkVIII
02-16-2019, 10:49 AM
100% agree. We should be able to at least turn the audible tone off.
I don't know a single person who jumped out of bed to help with the alert.
That being said if you're out and can help with the situation then it's an awesome feature to have.
It helped catch the POS so it does work.

All of Ontario got it.
iPhone 7 should of got the alert.
Only way you don't hear it is
If your phone is off or set to mute.

It looks like this.

https://i.ibb.co/pbfQ4MH/IMG-6456.png (https://ibb.co/pbfQ4MH)

You may want to call your service provider and let them know.

https://www.alertready.ca/

More iPhone info:

Ability to receive an alert: Consumers should check their specific device against their wireless service providers list of wireless public alerting compatible devices. If your device is not on the carrier list, it is not compatible.

In addition, consumers should ensure that the SOFTWARE on their compatible device is kept up to date. Outdated software may affect a device’s ability to receive an alert even if it is compatible.

Timing of software updates may also impact whether devices will be wireless public alerting compatible on other wireless service provider’s LTE networks in instances when customers switch providers but bring their own phone.

Connection to LTE network: WPA-compatible devices must be connected to an LTE network at the time an alert is distributed. The symbols located in the upper right-hand corner of your device will help you to identify what network you are connected to.

However, it is important to understand that even if you’re in an area that has LTE coverage, what you are doing with your device at the time an alert is issued will impact your ability to receive it. For example:
•If you have set your device to Wi-Fi only, you will not receive an alert.
•If you are on a voice call at the time of the alert, you may not receive an alert. Voice calls may move your connection to a non-LTE network, like 3G, even if you are in an LTE area.
•If you are in a location that makes signal reception difficult at the time of the alert, such as an underground garage, you may not receive an alert.

Device settings: The emergency alert will follow user settings:
•The VOLUME of the alert will be the same volume as that which is set on your phone. Most devices have multiple setting controls for different features such as ringtone, media, notifications, and system. The Canadian Alerting Attention Signal is usually controlled by the Settings/Sounds & touch vibration settings (also known as Haptics setting).
•If your device is set with a REMINDER feature, this may cause the alert to repeat until you acknowledge it. This feature can be turned off following directions in your device’s User Guide.
•If your device is set to SILENT or DO NOT DISTURB mode, the alert will override the setting. This means that you will receive the alert at whatever user settings you have in place. You might not see or notice the alert even though your device has received it. The alert might be “hidden” with other notifications. You may need to scroll down to see the alert.

will it save the alerts like it does other msgs? I would have slept threw it as the phone is downstairs at night, but no notification on the phone when I woke up. don't think my wife got one either, same carrier but iPhone 5

Biz
02-16-2019, 11:02 AM
will it save the alerts like it does other msgs? I would have slept threw it as the phone is downstairs at night, but no notification on the phone when I woke up. don't think my wife got one either, same carrier but iPhone 5

Yeah it will be in your notification center.

95GT_VERT
02-16-2019, 01:40 PM
I didnt mind it , however I will admit I have recently explored edibles and it scared the shit out of me when it went off...I was about 30 minutes into a drug induced sleep :)

5.4MarkVIII
02-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Yeah it will be in your notification center.

it was, thanks

Ponyryd
02-16-2019, 04:32 PM
My phone was on silent so I had no idea, my wife’s was on and the alert was loud-but rightfully so, we as a society need to be made aware of this as quickly as possible. It’s very simple imo, if you don’t want to be bothered, put your phone on silent.
Anyone complaining is clearly an idiot, and a poor excuse for a human.

True Blue
02-17-2019, 09:29 AM
It’s very simple imo, if you don’t want to be bothered, put your phone on silent.

It's not very simple. I'm concerned about the abuse of the Emergency Alert System. The more (blazing loud) alerts that go off even in a year, the more these alerts will be ignored.

Lets say if the last 7 alerts were Amber alerts most will think the 8th is the same. Except the 8th one is an extreme weather alert which affects thousands of lives. Having to set your phone to silent doesn't solve anything, in fact it puts lives at risk. That's why the EAS should have settings to control which alerts you want to receive, just like how it's done in the States.

The more you use an emergency system for a non emergency, the less of an emergency it becomes.

Biz
02-17-2019, 09:35 AM
It’s very simple imo, if you don’t want to be bothered, put your phone on silent.

Negative.
Here's the issue with your statement.
Its actually NOT that simple.
My parents are in Florida for the winter. If there is an emergency (which has already happened last year) they need to be able to contact me.
So when my phone is on DND they can call thru anytime. If I put my phone on mute they will NOT be able to contact me.
Imagine how may people have loved ones looking after elderly or have partners working high risk jobs. Your phone could be a lifeline to these people.
Muting your phone is not an option for thousands of Canadians, me included.
Also the system is used for more than just amber alerts.

FoxRod
02-17-2019, 10:10 AM
^^^ You can still receive WhatsApp, Facebook messages and messenger if your phone is set to DND. If you're not part of the FOMO generation then turn off your WIFI and set DND/mute/notifications (if you dont want to get annoyed with the alerts)...

bluetoy
02-17-2019, 05:10 PM
I was the one vote who was annoyed. After working 16.5 hrs and having to get up again at 4:30 a.m. I wasn't in the mood to be woken at 11:20 and again at 12:30 or so and since I drive a heavy truck you sure don't want me falling asleep at the wheel.. It isn't a poll asking if amber alerts are a good idea. They should have at least checked the fathers house before sending out the alert but on the other hand apparently the alert prompted a call from someone who spotted the guys car. Rot in hell P.O.S. murderer.

FYI my Amber alerts are now turned off on my cell phone because the only time I'm not near a radio or TV is when I'm sleeping so I wouldn't be much help at that time.

I got the first alert then about 2 mins later a text type alert, then the same thing at 12:30 then I got another text alert about 7 am. Plus I'm in Ottawa so it's pretty unlikely the guy was here. Maybe more regional alerts.

This is how I turned them off. We'll see if it works.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-turn-off-amber-alerts/

Old Fart
02-17-2019, 05:26 PM
This is how I turned them off. We'll see if it works.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-turn-off-amber-alerts/

I was curious and tried to find the IOS setting for Government Notifications but saw nothing in the "Notification" section. I read numerous articles and found out that the settings are only available for US?

bluetoy
02-17-2019, 05:33 PM
I was curious and tried to find the IOS setting for Government Notifications but saw nothing in the "Notification" section. I read numerous articles and found out that the settings are only available for US?

That could be true because my phone is an Axon 7 mini US version. There was a setting called Amber alerts.

Darkhorse
02-18-2019, 12:35 AM
Being annoyed by it is kool……...right up until you find out what the deal was.

Calling 911 to complain...….. trash talking the system...….and not moving on with your life...…..that's offside.

An 11 year old lost their life for no reason...….wasting one night of your sleep is hardly an issue.

Ponyryd
02-18-2019, 01:48 AM
It's not very simple. I'm concerned about the abuse of the Emergency Alert System. The more (blazing loud) alerts that go off even in a year, the more these alerts will be ignored.

Lets say if the last 7 alerts were Amber alerts most will think the 8th is the same. Except the 8th one is an extreme weather alert which affects thousands of lives. Having to set your phone to silent doesn't solve anything, in fact it puts lives at risk. That's why the EAS should have settings to control which alerts you want to receive, just like how it's done in the States.

The more you use an emergency system for a non emergency, the less of an emergency it becomes.

Problem is that most people care more about what someone posts on Facebook or Instagram than an innocent child’s life, they would have no problem scrolling through stupidity, but heaven forbid they be made aware of some poor youngster in danger.
Amber alert is an emergency, plain and simple. Extreme weather may be different, but people still need to be made aware of it if it’s dangerous.

Ponyryd
02-18-2019, 01:51 AM
Negative.
Here's the issue with your statement.
Its actually NOT that simple.
My parents are in Florida for the winter. If there is an emergency (which has already happened last year) they need to be able to contact me.
So when my phone is on DND they can call thru anytime. If I put my phone on mute they will NOT be able to contact me.
Imagine how may people have loved ones looking after elderly or have partners working high risk jobs. Your phone could be a lifeline to these people.
Muting your phone is not an option for thousands of Canadians, me included.
Also the system is used for more than just amber alerts.

Sure, I get it, I have elderly family as well, not as far as Florida, but not nearby either.
Regardless I stand by my post, I have no problem being inconvenienced a few times a year in the case of an Amber alert or extreme weather. Either of those could wake me up at anytime and I wouldn’t be upset.

Biz
02-18-2019, 09:36 AM
^^^ You can still receive WhatsApp, Facebook messages and messenger if your phone is set to DND. If you're not part of the FOMO generation then turn off your WIFI and set DND/mute/notifications (if you dont want to get annoyed with the alerts)...

Well here's the difference. You can control the audio on all those alerts. You cannot on the Emergency alert system!
In the US you have control over the system.
The CRTC here said no.

Being annoyed by it is kool……...right up until you find out what the deal was.

Calling 911 to complain...….. trash talking the system...….and not moving on with your life...…..that's offside.

An 11 year old lost their life for no reason...….wasting one night of your sleep is hardly an issue.

Yeah its messed up for sure.
But I wonder if some of those people who "say they weren't annoyed" would be annoyed if next time it goes off at 3am and the child is found safe.
And I agree on calling 911 over this. Those people should be charged for making a non emergency call to 911.

bbriann
02-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Just for interest sake I looked at my Samsung 8+ settings and the Emergency Alert setting was already unselected and I still received the messages.

Biz
02-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Just for interest sake I looked at my Samsung 8+ settings and the Emergency Alert setting was already unselected and I still received the messages.

The power of the GUV right in your phone :policemad:

RedSN
02-18-2019, 12:31 PM
In the US you have control over the system.
The CRTC here said no.

…the Emergency Alert setting was already unselected and I still received the messages.
In the US you can turn on/off the alerts. Except for “presidential” alerts (reserved for extreme emergencies)
In Canada all alerts are set at “presidential” level. In other words: a lost child is the same threat level as incoming nuclear bombs.

Armen
02-18-2019, 01:00 PM
In the US you can turn on/off the alerts. Except for “presidential” alerts (reserved for extreme emergencies)
In Canada all alerts are set at “presidential” level. In other words: a lost child is the same threat level as incoming nuclear bombs.

Being given the opportunity to help save a lost child who is in potential danger...