PDA

View Full Version : Snow Plows and Traffic Signals

RedSN
02-22-2019, 12:14 PM
During the last couple of snow/ice events I noticed a surprising number of snow plows running through red lights and stop signs. So I get that it improves efficiency and rate of clearing/cleaning the roads, but are they allowed to do this? And if so, how long before one of them makes a mistake and ‘plows’ into someone?

stangstevers
02-22-2019, 12:51 PM
I'm certain they are breaking the law. They don't have the training and equipment to do this like a cop or ambulance could.

On the flip side, the people who clear the 401 in the GTA do an excellent job, wish I could thank them personally.

JZ67
02-22-2019, 03:08 PM
On the flip side, the people who clear the 401 in the GTA do an excellent job, wish I could thank them personally.

I couldn't agree with you more. The highways are in great shape - aside from the pot holes.

IanGTCS
02-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Our water truck driver at work plows for MSO in the winter. Apparently they are trained/told to go through lights if possible. Also, avoid highway 5 from Appleby to Guelph line area during a storm, he is not a driver who is at all aware of his surroundings.

1quikgt
02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
I see them do it in Durham when they’re working together along highway 2. The last one always goes through a red if need be. I don’t mind because you just know some jackass will try to drive in between the plows if there is a Yaris sized space for his SUV lol.

cf105arrow
02-24-2019, 11:55 PM
I love when they blow pass you in the oncoming lane and chuck salt at you’re car with a closing speed of over 120 km per hour (note the sarcasm). If they’re going to throw salt down it should not be allowed to cross over into oncoming traffic.

Laffs
02-25-2019, 12:20 AM
Municipal or standard contractor plows? When I pushed (contractor) we were subject to all HTA rules and regulations regardless of conditions and if we were running to blues or not however I was told by more than one guy running for the Town they were instructed that if there was no cross traffic to run reds. Fairly certain it was proven in court a few years ago that plows have right of way when running (blue light on), think someone hit/was hit by a plow and was found not at fault. Can't recall the exact circumstances, probably been a decade since I operated or more.