PDA

View Full Version : Tile - going to HD on the weekend for a tile quote; anyone here do tile installation?

92redragtop
02-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Considering installing some porcelain tile (plank style) and was going to get a quote from Home Depot/others tomorrow. Thought I'd check first if anyone on here does flooring installation (tile)?

Stephen06GT
02-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Subscribing

92redragtop
02-22-2019, 08:02 PM
I sent Mystified a pm a few days ago but he hasn't been online in a while.

5.4MarkVIII
02-22-2019, 08:10 PM
I don’t think Home Depot hires their own contractors. I think the just subcontract work out. Might be. EST to shop around the install. No sense paying HD a cut yo don’t need to.

RedSN
02-22-2019, 08:50 PM
True Blue is the Tile Floor Guru over at the Garage Journal. His garage floor is the stuff of legends.

92redragtop
02-23-2019, 12:41 AM
I don’t think Home Depot hires their own contractors. I think the just subcontract work out. Might be. EST to shop around the install. No sense paying HD a cut yo don’t need to.

I believe they do sub-contract out but we can likely get a discount that may offset some of that HD cut. We don't know any flooring peeps and given some time constraints to get it done quickly, HD is a bit of a shortcut. If we find a tiler we can either buy the materials through them or just do time/labour and buy the tile through HD or flooring store. Figured we'd try to get some options listed this weekend.

92redragtop
02-23-2019, 12:43 AM
True Blue is the Tile Floor Guru over at the Garage Journal. His garage floor is the stuff of legends.

It's for a basement - there is a "Store" page on that site but not active (would be garage related though).

newbiestangowner
02-23-2019, 12:54 AM
I believe they do sub-contract out but we can likely get a discount that may offset some of that HD cut. We don't know any flooring peeps and given some time constraints to get it done quickly, HD is a bit of a shortcut. If we find a tiler we can either buy the materials through them or just do time/labour and buy the tile through HD or flooring store. Figured we'd try to get some options listed this weekend.

I was going to say Richard, if you have your own general contractor it’s much cheaper just to get your tile from tile only place- more selection.Our contractor even gets a discount on tile at the place- we just give their name ,place calls them up to confirm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92redragtop
02-23-2019, 01:33 AM
Thanks - I don't have a GC right now. Might swing down to Toronto after HD to check out tile stores also.

True Blue
02-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Richard,

I've been out of the trade (full-time) for a few years now and currently I'm not doing any side jobs as time doesn't permit. I will gladly put you in touch with the guys I worked with.
With that said, please do not use any 3rd party contractors found at any big box store, you're asking for a heap of trouble at a costly price.

As for tiles, take a trip to Vaughan on Jane St. between Langstaff Rd and Rutherford Rd it's the Mecca of tile shops. If you find a tile that you like in one of those shops and as long as my old boss has an account with them he should be able to get you a discount.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Anthony

92redragtop
02-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Thanks Anthony - checking out Jane St today.

PM sent.

True Blue
02-24-2019, 08:10 AM
Glad to help out! PM sent.

Quicksilver
02-24-2019, 04:59 PM
ALL of Home Depot's installers are subcontractors. Sometimes single guys, sometimes companies. I was one of them for 2 seasons (not consecutive). They are awful to deal with, although they pay quickly.

Intmdtr
02-24-2019, 07:00 PM
I have been laying tile as a side job for a few years now. I have an account at tile masters in Barrie and I believe Vaughn....