PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tips on Installing Rear Lowering Springs on 08 GT500

Gr8Stang
02-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Fronts look pretty straight forward (going to have to rent a spring compressor), but not sure on how to tackle the rears with just a pair of jack stands and a floor jack.

Was thinking to jack the rear up via the Diff, then support (on pinch welds) with jack stands. Use the floor jack to support the diff while removing the rear lower shock bolts....and then lowering the axle. Anything else have to be removed in order to get the axle to lower to get the stock springs out? Imagine the shorter Eibachs will be a lot easier to get in....hopefully not to much required to get the old springs out.

Any advice/tips appreciated. I'll be installing the Eibach Pro Kit.

Thanks!!

Scrape
02-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Rear sway bar links will need to be removed as well as I recall otherwise it is good to go. It has been a while since I did them.

Scrape
02-26-2019, 09:58 PM
Ok found a picture when I did it way back when lol.

Gr8Stang
02-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Ok found a picture when I did it way back when lol.

Couldn't open the attachment...says it's invalid link?

Scrape
02-26-2019, 10:43 PM
ok lets try it this way.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Pe3izDswXTAjfeXYefIDjk5kOTIrvSnPYRk8k1NdnoWIYveHwF-5_--yKCAt0K1gXQ4fiLvtI9sh_WKu0Ta_5qt2SPS9tvuQwssZD2rnD O0Xv7Q1uuSO5eeFt8tWDc6cSifqEWgA_dKVMcUSBMnJFhxKXWM 1923k4rLXmpY_jC-zTHZyMCecm-M6mvDaZ8TiTXVTE0MkQfJ-uy_VJnYxaBqLY9gUD2sH2h660WF_H8XGV2Ko6sNlBnxujmdZoV q3TKzwu-V8C6t8DbwsXCXJ7p8AQJbhW3N_XwLQ_M6TzHIX3JV_s5pFZcHa Vzpvy2riyJyF-fthQNNeZWZ51OaKl-UH5nHNEwzlU_XdL-3Zd5Cy6q9g7V51M0Px0iArZXOcQdlzt8CXIsIYB8k4CbtNo30U hN0iLaDHhqzrdntvYo0zh9oLtOP7MZoF_t7nyCmu3QIeApwc_d yaIinXSkJ-CYth9MwQFoiRIpeVZu6JDfTcWMtdqBcXAaVjZKDKmdvT1-yaAZJGYMjnAO-GsapmPJJQH8fdoYkZXYLYsf-IZBfpSrwiBtH0lMwT2Hdk2wKIYMF8fqPd547_pETiN3JojzWpg 9Je6oV-nnWcYwKAnM8BZKz68supyMq1Hscp4mHO7mxdkILEwTGdQpJlX6 GZz-AOrenVBcRcIbLZLS0laBbvjI0-nhXzLVApoAlcNN-3PbpU4e7ekn4mKzH0rB5eXKc1=w650-h866-no

Gr8Stang
02-26-2019, 10:46 PM
ok lets try it this way.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Pe3izDswXTAjfeXYefIDjk5kOTIrvSnPYRk8k1NdnoWIYveHwF-5_--yKCAt0K1gXQ4fiLvtI9sh_WKu0Ta_5qt2SPS9tvuQwssZD2rnD O0Xv7Q1uuSO5eeFt8tWDc6cSifqEWgA_dKVMcUSBMnJFhxKXWM 1923k4rLXmpY_jC-zTHZyMCecm-M6mvDaZ8TiTXVTE0MkQfJ-uy_VJnYxaBqLY9gUD2sH2h660WF_H8XGV2Ko6sNlBnxujmdZoV q3TKzwu-V8C6t8DbwsXCXJ7p8AQJbhW3N_XwLQ_M6TzHIX3JV_s5pFZcHa Vzpvy2riyJyF-fthQNNeZWZ51OaKl-UH5nHNEwzlU_XdL-3Zd5Cy6q9g7V51M0Px0iArZXOcQdlzt8CXIsIYB8k4CbtNo30U hN0iLaDHhqzrdntvYo0zh9oLtOP7MZoF_t7nyCmu3QIeApwc_d yaIinXSkJ-CYth9MwQFoiRIpeVZu6JDfTcWMtdqBcXAaVjZKDKmdvT1-yaAZJGYMjnAO-GsapmPJJQH8fdoYkZXYLYsf-IZBfpSrwiBtH0lMwT2Hdk2wKIYMF8fqPd547_pETiN3JojzWpg 9Je6oV-nnWcYwKAnM8BZKz68supyMq1Hscp4mHO7mxdkILEwTGdQpJlX6 GZz-AOrenVBcRcIbLZLS0laBbvjI0-nhXzLVApoAlcNN-3PbpU4e7ekn4mKzH0rB5eXKc1=w650-h866-no

Perfect, thanks a bunch! :cheers:

Scott
02-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Scott assuming you are a few years younger than I, you got this! Perhaps someone local will lend you a strut spring compressor, I would post a question on the Forum. Depending on how much you are lowering, you may want to consider taking some off of your jounce dumpers.

Gr8Stang
02-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Scott assuming you are a few years younger than I, you got this! Perhaps someone local will lend you a strut spring compressor, I would post a question on the Forum. Depending on how much you are lowering, you may want to consider taking some off of your jounce dumpers.

Thanks Scott! I'm 56 :thumbsup:, and still in pretty good shape (knock on wood!), so should be up to the task. I'll stick with what Eibach specs as far as lowering. With the new (used) 19" wheels/tires I have to put on her, should look a lot better. Also like the fact that most say the Pro Kit offers the best of both worlds; lowered look with good ride quality/improved handling. That's exactly what I'm after.

One other thing I forgot to mention.....there is a Pan Hard bar installed. Not sure if that factors into the equation when it comes to installing the new springs.

Slick_89_Hatch
02-28-2019, 02:45 PM
I've done springs on my 06 GT and a 2010 GT, if they are the same there was no compressor needed, once the PHB, links and shocks are unbolted use the jack to lower the rear end slowly, once all the way down, on each side push down and pull the spring out. Eibach's go in with no effort. Super easy job.

Gr8Stang
02-28-2019, 03:10 PM
I've done springs on my 06 GT and a 2010 GT, if they are the same there was no compressor needed, once the PHB, links and shocks are unbolted use the jack to lower the rear end slowly, once all the way down, on each side push down and pull the spring out. Eibach's go in with no effort. Super easy job.

Thanks slick! Wish I had a hoist/could use axle support tools. I don't particularly like lifting/supporting the axle via the Diff., but don't have that luxury. Definitely will try to minimize the time the car is supported by the Diff.

Slick_89_Hatch
02-28-2019, 04:00 PM
Support the car on stands on the pinch welds and only use a jack to move the rear end up and down.

Gr8Stang
02-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Support the car on stands on the pinch welds and only use a jack to move the rear end up and down.

Yep, that's the plan.....though I still don't like the idea of even briefly supporting it by the Diff. I believe Ford owners manual says not to lift or support the car by it's Diff as well, but I know lots do it anyways without any apparent ill effect.

DinoZ
03-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Man I wish I was feeling better as I would take a run out your way with a set of spring compressors I have and help out, part of my idea of having drive by tech sessions.

Unfortunately this hip replacement has kept me somewhat limited or house prison for now.

And living in Oakville is a hike out your way.

So that you know, I bought a set of spring compressors from Princess auto when I did my springs, inexpensive, $30-$40 and work well.

Gr8Stang
03-02-2019, 01:43 PM
Man I wish I was feeling better as I would take a run out your way with a set of spring compressors I have and help out, part of my idea of having drive by tech sessions.

Unfortunately this hip replacement has kept me somewhat limited or house prison for now.

So that you know, I bought a set of spring compressors from Princess auto when I did my springs, inexpensive, $30-$40 and work well.

Thanks DinoZ!! I'll probably hit up Princess Auto or just rent for free from Crappy tire/parts source.

Hope that hip is better soon. From everyone I've spoken to about having their hip replaced, they've all said it was the best thing they ever decided to do.

Scott
03-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Getting my hip done was assume. Absolutely no pain ever since. Must be coming up five years now. I started my "slow but steady air lift performance suspension install" one month after surgery. Did what I could from rolling around on a chair. Was not able to get up and down on the garage floor for I think it was three months based on the Surgeons orders.

Thanks DinoZ!! I'll probably hit up Princess Auto or just rent for free from Crappy tire/parts source.

Hope that hip is better soon. From everyone I've spoken to about having their hip replaced, they've all said it was the best thing they ever decided to do.

PA is where I got my Strut Spring Compressor, they come on sale frequently.

DinoZ
03-05-2019, 02:21 PM
Getting my hip done was assume. Absolutely no pain ever since. Must be coming up five years now. I started my "slow but steady air lift performance suspension install" one month after surgery. Did what I could from rolling around on a chair. Was not able to get up and down on the garage floor for I think it was three months based on the Surgeons orders.

PA is where I got my Strut Spring Compressor, they come on sale frequently.

The first 2 weeks were hell, into my 3 rd week a lot better but man I’m frustrated and I know it takes time, Percocets help a great deal. I just want to get back to normal man , luckily and I keep reminding myself, it’s still winter and have the whole summer to look forward to a new body. Thing is, i was at the gym everyday before this and always kept a good weight size, I’m put off having to start all over again.

It is what it is.

Rino
03-05-2019, 03:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiygquJw_zE