PDA

View Full Version : I recomend you avoid Quicksilver from this board

Gabe
03-09-2019, 08:52 PM
I posted up a week or two ago looking for a DECH body kit for my foxbody. I received a reply via my thread that QuickSilver had one for sale, unused, that had been sitting in his barn for 8 years. I replied to him that I was interested to come have a look, what was he asking, asked if it was a real kit or a knock off. I received a reply that he didn't know if it was real, but wanted $500 for it. I replied that knock offs are available locally for $469, would he take $300 for it and we agreed to the price.

I went out to have a look at it in his barn, brushed off the cobwebs, saw no cracks or obvious issues with it and agreed to take it. Paid for it and was on my way. Fully aware and accepting that this would need some fitting work such as trimming, holes drilled, some sanding etc to make it work.

Got home, taped up the lower side of my car so I could see how the side skirt looked on the car. Immediately I saw an issue, the side skirt was too short, there are flanges on the skirts for the front and rear wheel wells. The kit was too short by 1/2-3/4" to be able to be installed. Opposite side was the same. I immediately sent Steve a couple photos via text that these skirts don't fit a foxbody. Obviously I was unable to have known this during inspection in his barn without a car to reference them against.

I told him at this time that these side skirts are useless, they would need to be cut in half and have extensive fibreglass work completed to be usable. I asked if we could work something out as they were garbage when they were in his shed and they are garbage now, I received a firm NO, that was not going to happen, I should have done my due diligence to confirm they would fit prior to agreeing to purchase. I explained that it was impossible for me to have confirmed this being an issue prior to getting them back to my car and that I am aware it is buyer beware, but this was not a case of regret or that I overpaid or..., they literally will not work on any foxbody mustang.

At this point, I suggested that our local Mustang community is a small one, so many of us know each other and some integrity and empathy towards the situation would be good for the both of us. I obviously didn't intend to buy useless junk and didn't believe he knew it was useless crap when he sold it, but here we are, what can we work out. I offered to drive them back to New Market from Milton if he would give me $100 back, he declined and said too bad, you're out of luck. We went back and forth a bit more, but it was a pointless exercise, he had the money in his pocket and zero interest to part with it.

I have been on this board and the GTAMC for 15+ years, having bought and sold countless items and never thought another person would treat someone like this. I was more than willing to eat my fair share of the money I spent (not that it was even about the money, but more the fact that these parts are garbage) but every one of his responses was an unequivocable NO, not his responsibility, obligation or requirement.

I am a person that treats others the way I want to be treated and believe that many others on this board are the same, I do not believe that Quicksilver is of this mindset and somebody I highly recommend you avoid doing any type of business with. I have been entirely transparent in what I have written above and am open to sharing the photos that were sent, screen shots of the text conversation etc.

I am open to criticism of how I handled the situation. I bought another complete DECH kit yesterday, an original kit
Darrell

USAWIT2
03-09-2019, 09:42 PM
Well that sucks,
It's a shame but when it comes to people and money nothing surprises me anymore no matter what "community" they're from.
They probably didn't fit 8years ago when they were hung on the wall.

55 HD
03-09-2019, 10:09 PM
NOT liking the story you have shared. But thanks for sharing your experience in this matter. I hope that this will bring some sort of resolution for both to be able to shake with an agreement.

Screw
03-09-2019, 10:21 PM
They probably didn't fit 8years ago when they were hung on the wall.

They might of shrunk over the years :shrug:

Gabe
03-09-2019, 10:43 PM
NOT liking the story you have shared. But thanks for sharing your experience in this matter. I hope that this will bring some sort of resolution for both to be able to shake with an agreement.

I did not share this in hopes of any type of financial retribution, it was never about the money and it is certainly not about the money now. It is about a person treating another person with respect

I will however use this as a plug for a Princess Margaret charity ride I am participating in later this year and always looking for donations

https://m.akaraisin.com/17751/participant/4772009?Lang=en-CA

55 HD
03-09-2019, 10:58 PM
I did not share this in hopes of any type of financial retribution, it was never about the money and it is certainly not about the money now. It is about a person treating another person with respect

I will however use this as a plug for a Princess Margaret charity ride I am participating in later this year and always looking for donations

https://m.akaraisin.com/17751/participant/4772009?Lang=en-CA

Well, Mission accomplished. I was able to donate to your cause in your name. Thanks for the invite

ZR
03-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Disappointing reading how this was handled, especially in light of what you offered.

WTF
03-10-2019, 07:44 AM
a shame to read this

Black Sheep
03-10-2019, 08:13 AM
There is always two sides to a story.....................
.........hoping the other side will chime in.....

Blackmare
03-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Very sorry to hear about this. Sounds like you were more than reasonable.

Hutch
03-10-2019, 09:07 AM
That’s too bad. I would definitely do something to work things out had I sold the parts. I wonder if he knew it wouldn’t fit

ZR
03-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Could be 100% innocent / unaware of the fatal flaw, it's what you do once you know that matters in my eyes.

V6416
03-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Unbelievable..
Thanks for the heads up

TZWILD
03-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Just a shot in the dark, but is your mustang '89 or older? If so, I believe in 1990, Ford changed the front fenders to accomodate the larger 16" pony wheels. Perhaps the kit you purchased is for '90 to '93 fox body mustangs. that would explain why they're too short. I currently have an '87 with '90 fenders, I'm curious to see if they would fit my car. If so, I would take them off your hands.
:ford:

5.4MarkVIII
03-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Just a shot in the dark, but is your mustang '89 or older? If so, I believe in 1990, Ford changed the front fenders to accomodate the larger 16" pony wheels. Perhaps the kit you purchased is for '90 to '93 fox body mustangs. that would explain why they're too short. I currently have an '87 with '90 fenders, I'm curious to see if they would fit my car. If so, I would take them off your hands.

I was reading this thread and searching my brain because i remeber something about that from years gone by with a fender change, could be the reason they don't fit

dont know either party but IMO its the responsibility of the buyer to ensure what they are buying fits what they put it on.

TZWILD
03-10-2019, 10:19 AM
I was reading this thread and searching my brain because i remeber something about that from years gone by with a fender change, could be the reason they don't fit

dont know either party but IMO its the responsibility of the buyer to ensure what they are buying fits what they put it on.

Agreed...However, the seller should be somewhat responsible, to know exactly what he/she is selling as well. It's not like it came in a box which stated "90 to 93 mustang only". Either way, it's a situation that none of us would want to be in. In saying that, this is the problem with purchasing used items...you just never know.

newbiestangowner
03-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Ok - I’m a member first and for most-
I don’t give a RATS ass what Mr Stevie side is- I’ll call u out here and now- you’re a DOUCHE !! Especially when what was offered by the buyer? It’s not like he put them on for a week and changed his mind! What pisses me off is behind the scenes we work hard to get a great mustang community going ,me personally no fake ass shit and this fucken bullshit goes on for what $300 fucken dollars!
Buyer can’t use it - buyer offered to return with loss- it was just sitting collecting dust?
U knew it wouldn’t fit huh?

Ok then - u selling your grey mustang?? U wanted a picture I think ?? I think there’s one posted of u using it as a LAWNMOWER at TMP we can post that !

I don’t give a FUCK if I get Kicked out here - You ARE A SHADy Fucken douche!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonsMustang
03-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Let's see what Quick have to say about this.....there's always a second side to the story.

fast Ed
03-10-2019, 11:43 AM

Distance from rear of front fender opening to front of rear opening is the same all the way through ... look at side skirts advertised at AM and LMR, they show as 87-93. Ford cut the forward edge of the front wheel opening to allow more clearance on the 90-93 cars, but that doesn't affect anything between the front and rear wheels.

Quicksilver
03-10-2019, 11:54 AM
dont know either party but IMO its the responsibility of the buyer to ensure what they are buying fits what they put it on.[/QUOTE]
Has no one ever heard of "buyer beware, or caveat emptor?
Darrell posted that he was looking for a Dech kit. I remembered that my son Daniel had a complete set set sitting in my barn.
Now please note:

he bought this set off the board from another member of the GTAMC approximately 11 years ago. He never got around to installing them, and two years ago he sold the car. HE bought them from another member. Did that person know they were too short? if so they never told us.

Out of the blue, Darrel posted, so i pm'd him. He asked how much. Daniel paid $500 for them 11 years ago. I asked for that. Darrell told me he could buy them new for $469 plus tax. I didn't know this. He offered $300. Daniel counteroffered $350.00. In the end, because they were just sittign there, he agreed to $300.00.
At his request, I dug them out and sent pictures. He asked if they were real or knockoffs, fiberglass or polystyrene. I told him I simply didn't know. He agreed to come and take them. At know time did I say anything about a money back guarantee, or make any reference to their quality. I made no misrepresentation whatever.
Next day, he came, looked at them, took them. End of story.
Then later he messages me that the side skirts don't fit. How is this my problem? He seemed to know all about these things, and now other people have mentioned there muight be a fitment problem, perhaps he should have done his due diligence beforehand.

About 12 years ago, I was building up my other son Noah's fox (which we still have. ). At the time, I bought a lot of stuff off the board for it, including brakes, lower control arms, a steering wheel column with cruise, and all sorts of other stuff. Some fit, some didn't, and I remember Rick had a lot of trouble with some of the parts.
I also bought (and this one bugged me a lot, just like Darrell) a two piece strut tower brace for $100. Unbeknownst to me, this piece had been floating around the board for months, and I was the fifth buyer. when we got it home, it didn't fit. One of the moderators, , in fact was the one who told me about it and that I got snookered. HE told me not to even try to rectify the problem. I didn't try to get my money back, nor sell it to anyone else. In that case, the seller knew it was a bad piece. My lawyer at the time told me: buyer beware.

In this instance, I misrepresented nothing. Promised nothing. Darell asked me for $100 off, We offered 10%. I heard nothing more. I would have gone to $50, but I didn't hear from him. The front and rear valences are apparently fine.
I spoke to several other current club members as to what to do, as well as my lawyer. Everyone's opinion was the same thing. Buyer beware.

You want to hold me out as an evil, unprincipled person, so be it. I pay my bills. I do my job. I provide competent services to others. My products are better than most of my competitors. I never lie. I never promise what can't be done. I never misrepresent anything.
I did nothing wrong here, morally or ethically.

Blackmare
03-10-2019, 12:06 PM
I did nothing wrong here, morally or ethically.

Yes you did and I'm sorry for you, and disappointed in you, that you can't see that. Don't care what your lawyer or other members say. You should have done the right thing.

86 Mustang GT
03-10-2019, 12:08 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of drama and bullshit that quicksilver has brought upon himself on the forums over the years.. and all his long winded rants... every time he posts there's BS attached to it...
Simply put bud .... your a douche for not giving him the money back...
Where's jackracoon when you need him....

Laffs
03-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Hell of a thread. Got a moderator frothing at the mouth, the seller explaining why they wanted barter to resolution despite doing nothing wrong and somehow poor Gabe gets screwed coming up apparently a 1/2 inch and $50 too short.

TZWILD
03-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Distance from rear of front fender opening to front of rear opening is the same all the way through ... look at side skirts advertised at AM and LMR, they show as 87-93. Ford cut the forward edge of the front wheel opening to allow more clearance on the 90-93 cars, but that doesn't affect anything between the front and rear wheels.

That could very well be the case. The 17" tires I'm currently running, were rubbing on the front and rear of the fenders. Once i switched to the 90's style fenders ...that stopped happening.:shrug:

RedSN
03-10-2019, 12:42 PM
Everyone's opinion was the same thing. Buyer beware.
If that’s what you got from this thread, then that’s a shame.
Those are Kijiji rules. I would hope we are better than that here.

90GT
03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
DECH made two sizes of kits. One for 87-90 mustangs and one for 91-93 mustangs. 87-90 side skirts will be too short for 91-93 cars. That being said, orig. kits still need a lot of trimming and "fitting" to look good, hence why some people mold the kits in. Original kits came in a white gel coat, also if you look at the rear valance at the "H", the bottom right of the "H" at the corner is rough and isnt a clean edge. That was an issue with the DECH molds over time, that would be a good indication of a original kit. Just an FYI from a DECH guy...lol.

92redragtop
03-10-2019, 12:50 PM
This is an unfortunate thread. Personally, if I sold something and it turned out to be not what I thought I was selling, I would make it right (eg. take back and re-list with correct model year info) - even for a stranger.

I hope this is a case where emotions got heated and de-railed negotiations, and that with a second review that some satisfactory resolution can be achieved to put things back on a better path.

mavrrrick
03-10-2019, 12:56 PM
If $300 is worth all this to you Quicksilver then IMO you are a douche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe
03-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Yup, that’s what I tried conveying Don

Gabe
03-10-2019, 01:02 PM
My car is an 89, but regardless of that. If I sold something and the buyer made an honest mistake not knowing something (such as that it was year specify) I would still make I right

DECH made two sizes of kits. One for 87-90 mustangs and one for 91-93 mustangs. 87-90 side skirts will be too short for 91-93 cars. That being said, orig. kits still need a lot of trimming and "fitting" to look good, hence why some people mold the kits in. Original kits came in a white gel coat, also if you look at the rear valance at the "H", the bottom right of the "H" at the corner is rough and isnt a clean edge. That was an issue with the DECH molds over time, that would be a good indication of a original kit. Just an FYI from a DECH guy...lol.

92redragtop
03-10-2019, 01:09 PM
agreed.

feedback score on both parties doesn't reflect any problems on either side.

Scott Adams applies a 48 hour rule for folks to reconsider/clarify/cool down. Sounds appropriate here.

Failing that, how about a Delayed Prosecution Deal.

Most importantly, is either side a Liberal voter?

They obviously experienced it differently but hopefully now they can come to a resolution and move on.

Gabe
03-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Shoot me a PM if you want to try them out

55 HD
03-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Quick says

I spoke to several other current club members as to what to do, as well as my lawyer. Everyone's opinion was the same thing. Buyer beware.

Now if you as a member gave Quick this advice: please add your name to the list so we all know how you would handle the same situation with another member of our group.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
etc.

TZWILD
03-10-2019, 01:32 PM
Shoot me a PM if you want to try them out

As requested, PM sent.:highfive:

ZR
03-10-2019, 01:47 PM
A genuine opportunity to step up and make things right here. Along with that, say no to the cycle of "I got scammed so I'll pass it along" parts that we all know happens from time to time. Thankfully, along with launch of TMC, almost all of those kinda goings on fell by the wayside.

Minaccia
03-10-2019, 02:03 PM
Sorry to hear this happen to you Darrell and I hope this issue straightens it self out but some times even the people we call friends end up screwing us, it's sad really.

Screw
03-10-2019, 02:32 PM
Let’s hope this ends better , it’s possible seller was not aware ....but the “buyer beware” I would think we are a little bigger than that ...

Darkhorse
03-10-2019, 02:37 PM
This thread is unprecedented bullshit and here's why.

I could care less about the deal or the $300 for either party.

Deals go bad all the time, after 15+ years of buying and selling myself, I have had some go bad too. For $300 I lump it out. If were are talking thousands of dollars, I can see more of an issue.

The fact there has been a thread bashing Steve is not right. You're telling me if the person that claimed you bought "as is where is" was a sponsor this thread would still be going?

This is crazyness.......I almost never side with Steve, but this time this situation is BS.

Write off your $300 and know what you're buying.

Buyer's remorse doesn't work on retailers either. I have made things right with people too, given back money etc, but the person didn't do their homework and hammered down the price and now wants the money back. Unfortunate is an understatement.

Quicksilver
03-10-2019, 02:44 PM
My car is an 89, but regardless of that. If I sold something and the buyer made an honest mistake not knowing something (such as that it was year specify) I would still make I right
Everyone says that. They would make it right. no one made it right when I bought incorrect stuff. It's easy to say, harder to do.

Exactly. You made the mistake. If I could go back to the guy who sold it to me 11 years ago, I certainly would.

At this point it's not the money, but the principle. Once more: I did not misrepresent or try to pass the item off as anything but an old kit sitting in my barn. apparently from the thread is is known that there were different sizes. Maybe The buyer should have known that. Nevertheless, He offered a couple days ago to settle for $100 so I will.

ZR
03-10-2019, 03:21 PM
I'll match whatever he gets back via sponsoring the ride.

Slick_89_Hatch
03-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Are you sure about that? The sides of the cars are all the same, I am pretty sure it's just the front skirt that is different, not the side.

G-ForceJunkie
03-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Interesting thread. I'm not sure I take either party's 'side', but I have been in positions where I've sold things that I know almost nothing about, and those are the circumstances that I try to make it perfectly clear that I'm guaranteeing nothing about what I'm selling - what you see is what you get, and once the cash is changed hands, we're done. I've also sold items I'm exceptionally aware of what they are, and put some effort into outlining the value of what I'm selling. When those things don't work as advertised, I would (I hope, I've never had to), work something out with the buyer to their satisfaction.

Chinga
03-10-2019, 05:27 PM
This thread is unprecedented bullshit and here's why.

I could care less about the deal or the $300 for either party.

Deals go bad all the time, after 15+ years of buying and selling myself, I have had some go bad too. For $300 I lump it out. If were are talking thousands of dollars, I can see more of an issue.

The fact there has been a thread bashing Steve is not right. You're telling me if the person that claimed you bought "as is where is" was a sponsor this thread would still be going?

This is crazyness.......I almost never side with Steve, but this time this situation is BS.

Write off your $300 and know what you're buying.

Buyer's remorse doesn't work on retailers either. I have made things right with people too, given back money etc, but the person didn't do their homework and hammered down the price and now wants the money back. Unfortunate is an understatement.

I agree with this message.

ZR
03-11-2019, 05:24 AM
I hope this is a case where emotions got heated and de-railed negotiations, and that with a second review that some satisfactory resolution can be achieved to put things back on a better path.

I think Richard summed it up and with that might be best to lock it up so things can calm down.