PDA

View Full Version : Received Hagerty Renewal for Foxbody today Question about driving to work?

svorob
03-26-2019, 10:57 PM
Hello, I received my renewal from Hagerty today, and before I renew, I want to know what others are using for their cars.....

I want to be able to drive the car to work so I can enjoy it more than I usually do...(~<1000km last few years) But I also want to have the guaranteed value in case.

Will Hagerty allow the occasional use to work or am I SOL if I do... Is there an Insurer that will give me this coverage? ( maybe even allowing my 18yr old to drive once or twice....)

I Just dont want to go with them and find out there was a better alternative.

Thanks

CON VERT
03-27-2019, 05:47 AM
Not a chance they will let your 18 year old son drive, u have to be minimum of 25 years old !

stangstevers
03-27-2019, 07:01 AM
Do you have car shows at work?

Black Sheep
03-27-2019, 07:10 AM
Do you store your car at work?

hammerhead
03-27-2019, 07:28 AM
Maybe talk to haggerty I think they base their rates on mileage - when I was regularly driving my fox's I just insured them like a regular car - I think haggerty will insure as a daily but it won't be cheap especially if you want the a praised value - but the best thing is to email or call them up

RioCobra
03-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Phone them and ask about the occasional drive to work.
I don't see it being an issue, well, as long as you don't live in Ottawa and work in Toronto.

RedSN
03-27-2019, 08:30 AM
What you are describing is a regular use vehicle. Hagerty is for insuring cars from your garage, to the car show, and back. Very limited.

Talk to a broker about getting insurance with an agreed value (19A of 19)

Stephen06GT
03-27-2019, 12:35 PM
I have Hagerty insurance on Ol Paint and I have driven it to work. I called Hagerty and told them the DD was in the shop (it was) and they said no problem. My understanding was that if you don’t do it on a regular basis you are fine. Best bet, call and ask.

55 HD
03-27-2019, 01:09 PM
I have asked my Broker RSA and they say NO, not a good idea. For them it was more about security of the vehicle where it may be parked and unattended. The whole idea with driving to car shows and personal use with minimal driving per year is what we all claim we do to lower our rates. When we first asked for coverage they ask for your odometer reading with your appraisal documents, and never ask again.....why, because the reading of the odometer when you have a claim will tell them that the years of coverage show more miles than what you purchased for coverage and a good reason to say SOL on coverage. The fine print of coverage is there to protect them NOT you. Read it, it is very clear.

Always best to ask and be very honest with your use of the vehicle so you have the right coverage at all times. JMO

Laffs
03-27-2019, 02:02 PM
What you are describing is a regular use vehicle. Hagerty is for insuring cars from your garage, to the car show, and back. Very limited.

Talk to a broker about getting insurance with an agreed value (19A of 19)

Yes to first half no to second half.

It's not just shows and back or SUPER limited use but they do want you to avoid regular use situations. When I wanted to go to Tail of the Dragon with my car I asked them and they said emphatically yes go ahead enjoy and use our roadside if you need it. Similarly they've said if you're out for a cruise and have to stop on the way back to grab something from the store go ahead. However if you start really piling on the daily use miles then you're in trouble.

As stated if your odometer readings exceed the use you specified in the initial application it's going to be a bear when you put a claim through. Likewise they are very strict on who drives the car so I think any minor is a big no, from what I recall I think I'm the only one named on my policy to drive the car which is fine with me. Most of the specialty interest insurers have their fair share of caveats, honestly don't think you will find one that will allow a minor to drive it but as long as you don't work at say the go train station or a major mall you should be able to find one with a 1 trip or so a month work commute.

cudaboy
03-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Anyone notice the increases in Hagerty`s rates this year?
I have a 2005 GT and my rates have increased by over 100 bucks from last year. No claims, no changes. Cant wait for next year when car reaches 20 years old. Rates should go down substantially or I will go back to Echelon.

svorob
03-27-2019, 09:15 PM
I guess I need to clear up things ... I was thinking the occasional drive to work just so I can actually enjoy it.

I know the 25+ restriction I was just hoping they had some options to allow it.....Its totally fine with me, the only times he has driven that car is on closed courses or autox tracks.....guess that will be his only chances

CON VERT
03-28-2019, 04:48 AM
I just got my renewal with Lant / Hagerty & my policy(s) came down $200 , I insure 3 cars with them , 2 classic's & 1 modified = $1402 for $ 95,000.00 coverage between the 3 of them ! I looked at Echelon & a few of the others & they all had too many restrictions, I've taken my cars to the US & on car show road trip, sunny day cruises etc, all with their knowledge, they just say have a great time, Hagerty has no mileage restrictions per year either !

Anyone notice the increases in Hagerty`s rates this year?
I have a 2005 GT and my rates have increased by over 100 bucks from last year. No claims, no changes. Cant wait for next year when car reaches 20 years old. Rates should go down substantially or I will go back to Echelon.

Laffs
03-28-2019, 08:14 AM
I guess I need to clear up things ... I was thinking the occasional drive to work just so I can actually enjoy it.

I know the 25+ restriction I was just hoping they had some options to allow it.....Its totally fine with me, the only times he has driven that car is on closed courses or autox tracks.....guess that will be his only chances

I think you need to find a specialty interest broker, doesn't sound like your intend use for the car jives with Hagerty. Hagerty is pretty strict no bueno on closed course/timed lap events. I had to sign a document stating I would not participate in any such events with my car.

1quikgt
03-29-2019, 10:23 AM

When I filled out my application for Hagerty last year one of the questions was how many times per month will I drive it to work. I told them probably 2-3 and they had no problem with that so you should be fine.

ttpinto
03-29-2019, 06:44 PM
My car caught fire at my work in the parking lot and was 100% covered. No questions asked. That's why its a bit more to insure with them. Also I doubt an 18 year old would ever be covered

55 HD
03-29-2019, 08:23 PM
I just got my renewal with Lant / Hagerty & my policy(s) came down $200 , I insure 3 cars with them , 2 classic's & 1 modified = $1402 for $ 95,000.00 coverage between the 3 of them ! I looked at Echelon & a few of the others & they all had too many restrictions, I've taken my cars to the US & on car show road trip, sunny day cruises etc, all with their knowledge, they just say have a great time, Hagerty has no mileage restrictions per year either !

Mine has been the same for 7 years now $339.00 for the year with RSA

hsousa88
03-29-2019, 09:00 PM
I was with Vintage auto insurance up until last year.. it was extremely cheap but I was only allowed to drive to car shows or to a shop.

I switched to Hagerty last year and was told if I wanted to drive it to work in January it’s no problem. I told them I’d like to drive it to work once a week in the summer and again, no problem.

Paying $450.. I think.

Mustang4
03-29-2019, 10:09 PM
As stated it's probably best to check and make sure. I know if you're away from home at a car event they have no issues with the places you take your car since it is your only means of travel. Very clear no on regular trips to work but in my policy that I just read it doesn't say you can't do an occasional trip. I'd call and get a confirmatory email in response on what you can and can't do.