PDA

View Full Version : Quebec tables legislation on religious-symbols ban

Chinga
03-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Quebec doing it right...Libtard heads will explode.

The proposed law introduced in the Quebec National Assembly Thursday morning would ban people in positions of authority from wearing their religion. The list of positions includes judges, prosecutors, police officers, court security, jail guards and teachers – the one position where some Quebeckers are known to wear hijabs.

The draft law, which is likely to pass with Premier François Legault’s government holding the majority of seats, includes a clause that would allow currently employed teachers to keep their jobs and their religious symbols. New hires would have to remove them.

The bill includes provisions to invoke the notwithstanding clause of the constitution that would protect the law from challenges, both under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Quebec bill of rights.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-quebec-tables-legislation-on-religious-symbols-ban-includes/

92redragtop
03-28-2019, 04:21 PM
Will be interesting to see how it rolls out as they remove all symbols of religion - hijabs, turbans, crosses, stars of david, orthodox symbols/wear, etc.

RedSN
03-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Will be interesting to see how it rolls out as they remove all symbols of religion - hijabs, turbans, crosses, stars of david, etc.

You mean like this one?
http://natoassociation.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/quebec-assembly-cross.jpg

92redragtop
03-28-2019, 05:01 PM
Yes - that will be removed under the law.

92redragtop
03-28-2019, 05:05 PM
You mean like this one?
http://natoassociation.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/quebec-assembly-cross.jpg

I wonder if they swear people in using a bible today? Would they swear on a Canadiens jersey going forward?

RedSN
03-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Yes - that will be removed under the law.

:facepalm: guess I should have read the quoted news article

In an unexpected move moments after introducing Bill 21 – “An Act Respecting the Laicity of the State” – the government proposed a separate motion to remove a crucifix from the main chamber of the National Assembly, once the secular law passes. Quebec’s three parties with recent governing experience were all previously intransigent on removing the cross, which was installed by Maurice Duplessis in 1936 as a symbol of the partnership between church and state. The motion passed unanimously, 103-0.

92redragtop
03-28-2019, 05:54 PM
do you wear a bible?

Doesn't a secular law mean no religion mixing with affairs/activities of the state?

92redragtop
03-28-2019, 08:56 PM
No problem with separation of church and state.

stangstevers
03-29-2019, 05:27 AM
A step in the right direction. Religion shouldn't be a right, it should be treated as a hobby. If God is so powerful why does he need manmade governments to protect him?

92redragtop
03-29-2019, 09:53 AM
Seriously - someone put that much effort into comparing a clergy member to a member of the public? What a waste (and an inaccurate comparison).

stangstevers
03-29-2019, 10:10 AM
On a personal level, I don't care if someone covers their hair (my limit is the eye hole thing, niqab? I think). What I find funny is "I wear this for modesty" <- proceeds to wear a ton of makeup and designer jeans. LMAO

Also on another personal level, you can't think that god is all mighty, loving, created everything AND at the same time think that he gives a fuck about what you wear!? Anything with so much power won't give a shit, the closest thing I can think of currently is Kim Jung Un with his "forced hair styles guide" for his people. Yes I'm comparing god to a fat little dictator. But the fat little dictator is real, the other one is imaginary (albeit the control and suffering it creates is very real) and any adult that believes they need to wear a specific piece of clothing to appease an imaginary friend is suffering from mental illness.

Someone mentioned islam is more political than religious, I agree. It's a very elaborate system. It's amazing that the "big 3" are all Abrahamic in their roots yet are all willing to kill each other for it. Religion is the dumbest invention humanity continues to spread. It's the biggest snake-oil scam in our history.

We literally carry all of the world's history in our pockets, yet some people still walk into places of worship to praise some idiot character designed by evil men, thousands of years ago.

92redragtop
03-29-2019, 10:25 AM
educate me, what's inaccurate?

Apples and oranges - but it would appeal to those who won't think too deeply about what they read. American alt right blog site I assume.

92redragtop
03-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Must be the Chem Trails - Alex Jones said so.

JZ67
03-29-2019, 05:05 PM
left turn Clyde

I can't stand the religious disputes, they are fruitless and usually end up ugly and threads get locked. I think you intended to say 'right turn, Clyde'. The former would have Clyde knock out punch the driver, in this position, you. Not trying to start anything with you as i really don't care to but that particular statement is inaccurate.

Just to add some levity to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98QrSSHxo4

FWIW, I also agree that church and state should be separate entities. Run the country with logical laws and govern by people that aren't disillusioned by some entity created by man thousands of years ago to keep people in line. Surprised this is happening in Quebec but good for them.