PDA

View Full Version : Another "what's it worh " thread

Quicksilver
04-23-2019, 11:04 AM
My son Noah owns a 1989 Notch. We have had it for 15 years. About 10 years ago, I had Rick (ZR) do a LOT of work on it.
We converted it from a 4 cylinger slushbox to a 302 5 speed. We put in a 3.73 8.8 rear end as well as
-subframe connectors,
-strut tower brace
-k member brace
-tokiko gas shocks
-aftermarket lowering springs 9name brand but I forget)
-aftermarket rear lower control arms (also name brand)
-4 wheel disc brakes with 5 lug conversion out of an 02 GT
-1994 power master cylinder
-tilt steering wheel
-2002 or 3 Chrome factory wheels, 17"
-good tires all around, but mismatched
-headers and dual exhaust

Over the years we had a great time with it, and ZR's work proved completely dependable. However, Noah lost interest in it, and it's been sitting for 5 years.

LAst year we got it running for a while but there is a noticeable vibration in the drive-line. Otherwise it ran fine. When we first had it finished it dynoed 235 RWHP at DaSilva's.

IT also needs some body work. ZR did the famous strut tower repair and we did replace part of the floor and door panel(right side) and a complete paint job/colour change
However, there's a couple of dings and the rocker panel needs doing, and the clear coat is coming off, so a full paint job is probably needed.

It's a real shame to see it sitting forlornly in the barn, but I simply don't have the time to play with it, and Noah is not interested(he's become a truck lover: 2019 F-250 Lariat diesel)

Anyone have thoughts as to what it's worth?

Armen
04-23-2019, 11:38 AM
$17,000 or so.

Quicksilver
04-23-2019, 12:48 PM
$17,000 or so.

You're joking, right? I was thinking $6000 or so

hammerhead
04-23-2019, 01:07 PM
I would love to take it off your hands but I think the high commander would develop super human strength and rip me another A hole, kick may ass to the street, and force me to pay or a house I can't live in lol - all kidding aside your are probably in the ball park...

RedSN
04-23-2019, 01:30 PM
...and it's been sitting for 5 years...also needs some body work....the famous strut tower repair and we did replace part of the floor and door panel.... there's a couple of dings and the rocker panel needs doing, and the clear coat is coming off, so a full paint job is probably needed.
Anyone have thoughts as to what it's worth?

No offense, but this car sounds like it's toast.

My old coupe also had the "famous strut tower repair", and although it's a solid repair, I would not sell this car to anyone other than for a parts car.

edit: this is not a dig at ZR's fine repair work. I have seen this k-member/frame reinforcement, and it is very very solid. It also means you can never ever take the k-member out if needed. It also means (usually) the rest of the car is also "very well seasoned".

hsousa88
04-23-2019, 03:22 PM
Eh.. I dunno about ‘toast’

Since I did my shock towers I’ve met quite a few people who have done the same and are happy.

Some people just want a decent cruiser that makes cool sounds. Not everyone is looking to drop in a aftermarket k member to whip around the track.

Back to the topic.. who knows what it’s worth. The foxbody market is weird. I would list it for $10k.

hammerhead
04-23-2019, 03:36 PM
No offense, but this car sounds like it's toast.

My old coupe also had the "famous strut tower repair", and although it's a solid repair, I would not sell this car to anyone other than for a parts car.

edit: this is not a dig at ZR's fine repair work. I have seen this k-member/frame reinforcement, and it is very very solid. It also means you can never ever take the k-member out if needed. It also means (usually) the rest of the car is also "very well seasoned".

Just to add Don - Safety certificate standards for cars have become more in depth and demand more exact structural repairs as opposed to backyard engineering (like what im doing to my fox) no disrespect to anyone I'm a firm believer there's more than one way to skin a cat - but it may make getting it on the road difficult.

RedSN
04-23-2019, 03:47 PM
$17,000 or so.

I was thinking $6000 or so

I would list it for $10k.

Maybe I should re-consider my old notch.

hsousa88
04-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Maybe I should re-consider my old notch.

I would. I get asked to sell my hatch all the time. I feel like people think that these cars are made cheap, are slow and handle bad- that’s all true. Except you can’t but a new one anymore and a lot of people want one.

The ugliest, slowest, beat up fox turns heads.

Armen
04-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Yup I was. I think your asking price is a decent starting point.

You're joking, right? I was thinking $6000 or so

55 HD
04-23-2019, 06:10 PM
Forget about the dreamers and tire kickers. When someone shows up and has 4,000.00 take it. That might be the best offer you get that comes up with the real cash and makes the deal.

What I'm saying is the tax bracket of people looking for this car is "either very young with zero money" OR the guy who is wanting to build a car that has money, and he or she is not looking to spend big bucks on something that they could find cleaner. You know the car after having it close to you over the years and you have been around long enough to put your own value on it.

I say $4,000.00 and it will sell. Any more and you will be all summer looking for the buyer. JMO

Laffs
04-23-2019, 06:48 PM
Forget about the dreamers and tire kickers. When someone shows up and has 4,000.00 take it. That might be the best offer you get that comes up with the real cash and makes the deal.

What I'm saying is the tax bracket of people looking for this car is "either very young with zero money" OR the guy who is wanting to build a car that has money, and he or she is not looking to spend big bucks on something that they could find cleaner. You know the car after having it close to you over the years and you have been around long enough to put your own value on it.

I say $4,000.00 and it will sell. Any more and you will be all summer looking for the buyer. JMO

This is solid advice and I agree with it.

stangstevers
04-23-2019, 07:42 PM
$2000 gets you a 4 banger fox (without the V8 and 8.8 rear conversion) with no more 1/4 panels or floors and ratty blue interior with oil stains, torn seats and broken up plastics. What you'd spend on a throw-away parts car today will give you guys heart attacks. I've looked at some foxes recently at around 6k... not very impressive.

4 to 6k seems about right for something that needs a new front-end. Assuming there are some good bits like interior. As good as welding plates may be. The "proper" way is to cut open the frame rails and replace the metal that's dead to keep the structure as intended. I was never a fan of this sort of fix. Plus you can buy all you need these days to rebuild (frame rails, rad support). That's an issue that will scare a lot of people, even seasoned fox veterans. What's left will be bottom of the barrel "buyers" with no money and big dreams.

Good fox bodies ARE in fact hard to find and it's driving up all the prices across the board. IMO of course. But at the end of the day it's always worth what someone is willing to pay and finding the right person is never easy. Just take a lot of pics of the problem areas to avoid wasting your time showing a car without the right expectations.

ZR
04-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Tons for sale at top top top dollar, few sell for anywhere close to it. Just what I've observed.

hammerhead
04-23-2019, 09:15 PM
Tons for sale at top top top dollar, few sell for anywhere close to it. Just what I've observed.

i have to agree, I know of two in my area have been for sale for 7 years...one is a complete original 89 one owner and the other is molested but nice

stangstevers
04-24-2019, 06:53 AM
"molested but nice" I will put that in my own ad title lol

Darkhorse
04-24-2019, 07:18 AM
The fact it's a notch helps the cause.

Quicksilver
04-24-2019, 09:50 AM
$3k is too little. 10k, well I wouldn't pay that much, so somewhere in the middle.
We bought the car from it's original owner with 90000 km. When I had the paint done, we looked the car over from top to bottom and other than a floor panel it was in great condition.
When the strut towers need to be done I took it to ZR. Although recently he and I had a little falling out, he is the absolute best mechanic I have ever seen and I trust him 150%. He said at the time we did all the work and then a few years later when we did the towers that the rest of the body was in excellent shape. It has not been in snow since 2007, and we had it Krowned every year before that.
Anyway, at the moment unless I get $6000 or more it's not being sold. After the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in makeover to let it go for 3k would be sacrilegious.
The only reason to sell is because I just know it'll sit there another few years before we do anything.

hammerhead
04-24-2019, 10:09 AM
$3k is too little. 10k, well I wouldn't pay that much, so somewhere in the middle.
We bought the car from it's original owner with 90000 km. When I had the paint done, we looked the car over from top to bottom and other than a floor panel it was in great condition.
When the strut towers need to be done I took it to ZR. Although recently he and I had a little falling out, he is the absolute best mechanic I have ever seen and I trust him 150%. He said at the time we did all the work and then a few years later when we did the towers that the rest of the body was in excellent shape. It has not been in snow since 2007, and we had it Krowned every year before that.
Anyway, at the moment unless I get $6000 or more it's not being sold. After the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars in makeover to let it go for 3k would be sacrilegious.
The only reason to sell is because I just know it'll sit there another few years before we do anything.

In the last seven years I purchased two foxes - one was an old restoration similar sounding to yours and the other untouched and fair - I believe I paid 5500 each - the restored fox at one time was priced at $12000.00 and came down to 5500 after some time on the market and was still slow to move - not seeing the car I would think your in the ball park.

Chinga
04-24-2019, 01:29 PM

Allowing it to sit for a few more years is not going to increase the value of it further. It has not seen road use in years so any money (3 - 4K) garnered from the sale of it would be a bonus. The other factor is that it is a converted 4 cylinder car and that will eliminate/turn off a lot of buyers who want an original 5L car. Yes you may have changed the ownership with the MTO at time of conversion but the VIN will always show it as a 4 cylinder car. Take the 3 - 4 K and get it out of your hair...