PDA

View Full Version : Speed limits increasing........maybe.

ZR
05-02-2019, 04:34 AM
Ontario’s transportation minister says the province (https://globalnews.ca/tag/ontario-government/) is looking at launching pilot projects and public consultations to review speed limits across highways.
“The 400-series highways were built for, I believe, a speed limit of 120 km/h safely,” said Minister Jeff Yurek at a press conference at the Toronto Region Board of Trade on Wednesday morning.
Raising speed limits is among a few items the government is looking at tabling at Queen’s Park within the next week.

stangstevers
05-02-2019, 04:47 AM
Just like removing front plates.

Chinga
05-02-2019, 06:25 AM
How long before the NDPeeing myself and the Party of One complain?

mavrrrick
05-02-2019, 08:25 AM
Good lord!!! are there not more important things to worry about other than front plates and speed limits??Oh ya...Beer!! :stupid:

Blackmare
05-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Beer should always be a priority...:)

RedSN
05-02-2019, 08:32 AM
Beer should always be a priority...:)
While I do not fundamentally disagree with this statement, I'm not prepared to pay off the Beer Store to the tune of $5B.

Increase the speed limit on the 407 to 120. Well designed, straight highway, with limited on/off ramps. Peeps are already doing 120+ anyway.
The rest of the 400 series highways are deathtraps and should remain at 100.

“The 400-series highways were built for, I believe, a speed limit of 120 km/h safely,” said Minister Jeff Yurek at a press conference at the Toronto Region Board of Trade on Wednesday morning.
Maybe do some homework and find out for sure before making a public statement? You're the Minister of Transportation FFS.

Laffs
05-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Maybe do some homework and find out for sure before making a public statement? You're the Minister of Transportation FFS.

It's important to believe in yourself.

True Blue
05-02-2019, 09:17 AM
With all the distracted driving and peeps with atrocious driving skills, the speed limit should remain unchanged. We all know 120km/h means 140-150km/h. At those speeds you better be ready to encounter the pylons in the middle lanes doing 90.

Quicksilver
05-02-2019, 09:23 AM
In 1964 when I was 14, my father's neighbor 2 doors down, Marvin, was assistant chief engineer of the then under construction Toronto Bypass of the 401. I remember him taking me, my brother and my father to the site and us all standing on the overpass of the Spadina, overlooking Yorkdale(which was then under construction) and him pointing out the finer points of the interchange. I clearly remember him saying that the whole length of the highway, from Mississauga to Pickering, was designed with signage, sight lines, grading, ramps, and access to permit 100 mile-an-hour speeds. HE added that they were building for the future because cars and drivers were going to "get much better". So 120km/hr (about 75mph) isn't beyond the capabilities of the raod.

At the time, the speed limit was 70mph(approx 115km), which was at that time considered low.

Today, when you drive the 401 or 407, in particular, no one goes less than 120, and the police don't even glance at you until you are over 135km.
All the pundits say that "speed kills". Its not the actual speed so much as the difference in speed. You have some drivers doing 130 or more, and then some doing 200 or less. Those slowpokes sometimes change lanes with out regard to anyone esle, and we come upon them suddenly, we have to hammer the brakes, and that's when accidents happen.

The government also said they'd crack down on slowpokes, so that will certainly help even out speeds.

I like the way our government is moving.

Laffs
05-02-2019, 09:32 AM
With all the distracted driving and peeps with atrocious driving skills, the speed limit should remain unchanged. We all know 120km/h means 140-150km/h. At those speeds you better be ready to encounter the pylons in the middle lanes doing 90.

One would assume similar to other government law "relaxations" that once the threshold is increased, tolerance and enforcement would be changed to suit. Would be the old "10 over" adage wouldn't have much merit anymore.

fast Ed
05-02-2019, 09:35 AM
drivers were going to "get much better".

NOPE!!

bluetoy
05-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Then there is the issue of all heavy trucks being speed limited to 105 kph. Put the speed up to 120 and everyone will be doing 140. Big speed difference when you come up on a truck governed at 105.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Blackmare
05-02-2019, 09:43 AM
That's a very good point bluetoy.

WTF
05-02-2019, 10:22 AM
definitely the 407 can handle that

certain sections of many 400-series highways can too imo....but not all....401 in the city where we have collectors and express should stay at 100....but outside the city limits could handle 120.....taking the 400 north to cottage country feels like a death-trap at 100kph....can't think 120 will make it less of a shitshow

won't really change my driving habits either way....probably just less chance of getting a ticket is all

stangstevers
05-02-2019, 11:07 AM
Speed limits should be variable. Bad weather conditions and visibility, upcoming congestion, road conditions... Should range from 70 to 150kmh.

With that being said, before increasing limits they need to:
- offer different classes of drivers & cars (some are allowed on the fast lane, some aren't) based on history and updated training (high speed, emergency situations)
- put in place photo radar (155 and it's an auto-ticket)
- cause x number of crashes and license is revoked
- de-privatize training and audit the system to prevent "you my people, you get license despite you being a dipshit at the wheel"

If everyone had high levels of training, you could easily and safely travel over 200kmh on the 407 for example, so 150 isn't much of a stretch.

Now what will happen is cops that would normally let you go at 121 will now pull you over... Or the perceived "speed limit" will become 130 and now the idiots will come at you 10kmh faster than usual lol This is a stupid move for Ford, it's pointless, stupid and a waste of time. Scheer needs to bitchslap that fat idiot before he causes a win for trudeau in october.

Quicksilver
05-02-2019, 11:57 AM
This is a stupid move for Ford, it's pointless, stupid and a waste of time. Scheer needs to bitchslap that fat idiot before he causes a win for trudeau in october.

Huh????

stangstevers
05-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Ford is hurting the PC brand in this province, those "on the fence" will fall on the federal liberal side and that will help give trudeau a majority.

Gr8Stang
05-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Neither the speed limits on the 400 series highways or beer/wine in local stores should be on the current priority list. The government has far larger fish to fry....IMO.

mavrrrick
05-02-2019, 12:59 PM
Was my point earlier!!!

Gr8Stang
05-02-2019, 01:20 PM
While I do not fundamentally disagree with this statement, I'm not prepared to pay off the Beer Store to the tune of $5B.

Increase the speed limit on the 407 to 120. Well designed, straight highway, with limited on/off ramps. Peeps are already doing 120+ anyway.

Payoff the Beer Store? What's that all about? I'm with you....NO WAY we should bother with this if it means having to pay ANY money for having the convenience of buying booze at a local corner store!!

RedSN
05-02-2019, 01:45 PM
A contract between the province, The Beer Store and three big brewers, in place until the end of 2025, limits the number and type of retail outlets that can sell beer in Ontario. Allowing the province's 9,000 convenience stores to sell beer would breach the contract. Any breach of the contract's key terms is subject to penalties. Beer industry sources tell CBC News the penalties would be significantly more than $100 million, likely running into the hundreds of millions of dollars.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-beer-corner-convenience-store-ontario-1.5101868

Sorry, thought I remembered the number $5B. But breaking the contract could still be in the hundred of millions.

hammerhead
05-02-2019, 01:56 PM
I was under the impression there will be speed limits set for the different lanes - for eg. Left lane with a minimum of 120- I think the plan is to keep the slow dicks out of the hammer lane to keep it flowing and to prevent the Lou Angotti's from trick mauve re to get around - love the 407 don't use it much but it pretty difficult to stay below 120 - it does appear to be a rich mans road see a lot of nice cars when I'm on it. Last time I was on I thought I was I Masserativille

svorob
05-02-2019, 03:20 PM
If it did come (120km/h) it would come at a cost.... 120km/h on the highway but you also get photo radar

5.4MarkVIII
05-02-2019, 06:14 PM
would rather just see them enforce ALL the laws.

stangstevers
05-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Even the snowflake "stunt" laws?

5.4MarkVIII
05-02-2019, 06:51 PM
years ago on 401 out side Kitchener a group of morons in fart can clad cars stopped traffic across all 3 lanes and raced, then continued onto number 8 weaving in and out at Ludacris speeds. these type of idiots yes, charge the hell out of them.

I was more referring to the. 100 in the fast lane, refuse to merge over, don't signal, cant merge properly. running stop sign/ red lights kind of laws.

pretty much ever law on the road other than speeding I see countless times a day, and never a cop around because they are parked behind a bush with the radar gun

83 5.0
05-02-2019, 06:57 PM

Maybe increase to 120Kmh, and then give 5-10 Km/h but above 130Km/h stiffen up the fines or zero tolerance?

83 5.0
05-02-2019, 07:02 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-beer-corner-convenience-store-ontario-1.5101868

Sorry, thought I remembered the number $5B. But breaking the contract could still be in the hundred of millions.

I think there was speculation it could run to a $ 1Billion. $100 million is still to high just to put it in the Circle K's etc., There are enough grocery stores, Walmarts, etc. around that sell it now, if you can't get to one of these to fill your boots, I don't want $100 million wasted on this.
Sorry to hijack.

5.4MarkVIII
05-03-2019, 07:27 AM
actually saw a post on Facebook regarding this, person said "why don't they just make a separate lane for the people who want to drive this fast, so the rest of us normal people can drive at safe speeds"

insert face palm

RedSN
05-03-2019, 08:22 AM
actually saw a post on Facebook regarding this, person said "why don't they just make a separate lane for the people who want to drive this fast [it's called the fast lane], so the rest of us normal people can drive at safe speeds [in the right lane]"

insert face palm [:facepalm: ]
fantastic idea

stangstevers
05-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Not a bad idea but I think a right lane reserved for slower traffic might be better...

G-ForceJunkie
05-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Is there a source for this Don, or just personal observation/opinion? I've always been under the impression (like others) that the 400 series highways were designed for speeds well in excess of 100km/h.

This is an old study, but I think it still stands up today:
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/Establishing_Realistic_Speedlimits_85625_7.pdf

Basically, you should set speed limits based on how fast the 85th percentile of people would drive in ideal conditions, given no speed limit.

An additional point of significance, is that speed limits have little impact on how fast the majority of people drive. You can see this when you drive into lower speed limit zone (with no or limited change in the surrounding environment) and very few people respond to the change in the law. If you accept this premise, then traffic won't move much faster if they increase the speed limits, you'll just a decrease in tickets written.

stangstevers
05-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Aren't speed limits also set for emissions? Cars pollute more at 120 than going at 100 apparently.

1quikgt
05-03-2019, 01:08 PM
I live in Bowmanville and work in Oshawa. Anything east of Oshawa can easily handle a speed of 120km/h. I’m usually doing 130 and am constantly being passed. They could make the speed limit 250km/h in the city and it wouldn’t matter. You can barely do 100 because of the traffic anyway.

RedSN
05-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Is there a source for this Don, or just personal observation/opinion? I've always been under the impression (like others) that the 400 series highways were designed for speeds well in excess of 100km/h.

While older freeways have some lapses in safety features, contemporary 400-series highways have design speeds of 130 km/h (81 mph), speed limits of 100 km/h (62 mph), various collision avoidance and traffic management systems, and several design standards adopted throughout North America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/400-series_highways

I'm not sure 130 is "well in excess" of 100, but it should definitely be able to handle 120 safely, especially the newer highways or expanded/renovated highways. My "deathtrap" opinion was primarily about the GTA. There are far too many interchanges, bad drivers, potholes, and traffic to support going even faster IMO. The 407 being the exception.