View Full Version : Health card, you still sporting a red n white?

ZR
05-09-2019, 05:44 AM
More than two decades after Ontario started phasing out its red-and-white health cards, the government is setting a firm end date to cancel all remaining ones.
The province has been gradually removing them from the system and issuing residents more secure photo ID health cards since Bob Rae was premier, but now the Ministry of Health is working with ServiceOntario to set a final day after which red-and-white cards will no longer be accepted.
The specific date hasn't been set, but it won't happen overnight, said Health Minister Christine Elliott.

"It has been out there for a very long period of time," she said. "Some people are still hanging onto their cards, in some part, because nobody has required them to do the conversion. But in order to be responsible stewards of taxpayers' money, it's necessary to bring that process to an end."
It was late 1994 when the then-NDP government announced that due to fraud and misuse, the cards -- that were introduced just four years prior -- would be phased out over three years.
Twenty-five years later, there are still 400,000 in circulation, representing about three per cent of all Ontario health cards, a Ministry of Health spokesman said. Last year, ServiceOntario sent out about 27,000 final notices, telling people to convert to a photo health card or their coverage would be suspended.
"This time, I think we have to send out notices with specific timelines that I'm sure people will respond to," Elliott said.

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Typical gov bs I've never received a notice they probably don't have the infrastructure to do the job cause million dollar CEO make more sense.

mavrrrick
05-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Just got rid of mine last year. Almost nothing left of it.

newbiestangowner
05-09-2019, 07:39 AM
Typical gov bs I've never received a notice they probably don't have the infrastructure to do the job cause million dollar CEO make more sense.

Have you gone lately to clinic or MD?
When you check in , give your card , sit down in waiting room, quietly deal with some anxiety above your health,they will call you back to the desk. That will be your notice lol that you no longer have coverage .

Sported the red n white up until a month ago- no idea coverage suspended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrape
05-09-2019, 07:47 AM
I swapped mine years ago when my red and white one cracked in half.

newbiestangowner
05-09-2019, 07:48 AM
I swapped mine years ago when my red and white one cracked in half.

Mine was taped but refused to get new one u know nostalgia lol

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 08:02 AM
Have you gone lately to clinic or MD?
When you check in , give your card , sit down in waiting room, quietly deal with some anxiety above your health,they will call you back to the desk. That will be your notice lol that you no longer have coverage .

Sported the red n white up until a month ago- no idea coverage suspended.

Really eh! I never go don't even think I have a doctor lol they owe me every time I got a doctor in the past they disappeared so I just gave up. Think I had at least 10 doctors in the last twenty years haven't been to one in about 5-6 years. I just fix everything myself haha. Everyone in my house got notices to get new cards I thought they maybe just trusted us old guys or are just waiting for me to die...losers - I went to a doctor when I was forty to get a prostate exam - cause that's what they tell you to do - the woman's fingers where about three inches long and I'm thinking she ain't going to reach that without extreme measures hahaha - so when it was my turn she says to me " I don't do that roll up your sleeve and gimme some blood" all you need is a lab and anybody can be a doctor. Lol

StAnger
05-09-2019, 08:07 AM
Never got notice, and I've been to the Dr a couple times this year with no issue.

ZR
05-09-2019, 08:19 AM
Never got notice either but did have an issue at the hospital last fall where I had to produce two other pieces of ID to make them happy, since updated to new card.

RedSN
05-09-2019, 08:32 AM
You would think that if they saw one of those cards they would know it was legit. What scammer would go through the trouble of faking a vintage health card? That's like counterfeiting $2 bills.

ZR
05-09-2019, 08:35 AM
If your illegal or similar, scamming on older card makes the most sense, no security options on it. Oddly enough, was in hospital again few days later, same card = no problem. Yes I renewed to newer version regardless.

stangstevers
05-09-2019, 08:40 AM
I'm surprised the liberals didn't make a cut-off date sooner. It's been pretty widely known and people should be held accountable. Didn't update, too bad pay up!

There are always laggards in such change processes. You can't accommodate them or you will never get it done.

ZR
05-09-2019, 08:44 AM
Should be a carved in stone expiry date attached to the process not this wishy washy you should blah blah blah nonsense.

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 09:18 AM
I'm surprised the liberals didn't make a cut-off date sooner. It's been pretty widely known and people should be held accountable. Didn't update, too bad pay up!

There are always laggards in such change processes. You can't accommodate them or you will never get it done.

Don't think you can just show up and change our status - if anyone has just shown up at the governments door step and requested a new card I would like to hear about that...pretty sure we need o Waite for a notice and the gov is just not that organized when it comes to spending their money that use to be ours

ZR
05-09-2019, 09:27 AM
In my case, into service Ontario and requested a new card, no problem but approx 7 or 8 week delay in receiving.

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 09:30 AM
In my case, into service Ontario and requested a new card, no problem but approx 7 or 8 week delay in receiving.

I did not know that my wife had to do it a different way - be real simple to just do it when everyone gets a new plate sticker...

ZR
05-09-2019, 09:32 AM
For me, walked in with no paperwork or notice, renewed with zero issue.

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Wow I will try that when I get a sticker and pay my 407/lol will be an expensive day

ZR
05-09-2019, 09:37 AM
Please post your results.

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 09:47 AM
August better start saving up

stangstevers
05-09-2019, 09:50 AM

Don't let trudeau post that on twitter. LOL "free healthcare for Americans, come on over #becauseits2019 #getyourhealthcardeasy"

Chinga
05-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Count me as one of the 400,000 or so with ole' red and white. Coverage has not been suspended and the Dougie Ford PC's are formulating a drop dead day. You may have a problem using it if you don't visit your Dr's office often as I used mine two weeks ago with no issues.

On another note, Service Ontario are absofuckinglutely horrible to deal with for anything beyond taking your money...that they are good at. I went to renew my DL 1 1/2 years ago and asked about getting the new "OHIP" card to replace red/white. They still had my address on the health side of things from 25+ years ago. How in the fuck are they incapable of merging these systems? The dough-head behind the counter asked for my updated information so that she may update it in the health system. Seriously? She has my DL in her hand with that information. I pointed out that is the very same info on my DL so she updated the system (apparently) I have still not received a new card from them so I will head up there again after the announcement today.

G-ForceJunkie
05-09-2019, 01:33 PM
i've always wondered why they can't combine the health card and driver's license into a single card (for those that have both). I'm still on red/white....hoping to make it to my next Driver's license renewal so they are on the same cycle. (Assuming health card is also 5-yr renewal?)

Blackmare
05-09-2019, 01:34 PM
When I replaced both my license and health card last, they now both expire on my birthday in 5 yrs.

hammerhead
05-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Count me as one of the 400,000 or so with ole' red and white. Coverage has not been suspended and the Dougie Ford PC's are formulating a drop dead day. You may have a problem using it if you don't visit your Dr's office often as I used mine two weeks ago with no issues.

On another note, Service Ontario are absofuckinglutely horrible to deal with for anything beyond taking your money...that they are good at. I went to renew my DL 1 1/2 years ago and asked about getting the new "OHIP" card to replace red/white. They still had my address on the health side of things from 25+ years ago. How in the fuck are they incapable of merging these systems? The dough-head behind the counter asked for my updated information so that she may update it in the health system. Seriously? She has my DL in her hand with that information. I pointed out that is the very same info on my DL so she updated the system (apparently) I have still not received a new card from them so I will head up there again after the announcement today.

I had the same problem when they changed to Ontario College of Trades - they just could not get it straight and ended up with two trades licenses with two separate renewal dates i didnt even bother bringing it up just let the idiots figure it out themselves when the renewals rolled around. I'm shocked they even picked it up - now Doogiie is changing it again dumb asses - every year I have to renew several work related licenses and every year there's problems - lol to much of our time revolves around inadequate government and they don't deserve that much of our time.

newbiestangowner
05-09-2019, 01:54 PM
U guys complain too much

Lol

R3troGT
05-10-2019, 06:04 AM
I got a notice about 6 years ago. Just had to renew with my drivers license back in March.

IanGTCS
05-10-2019, 08:23 PM
I've had a photo card since 2000, guess I was one of the early ones selected to move to a photo one. I'm honestly amazed that anyone still has a red and white one. On what, our 4th government since these were first announced. Gotta love the speed of all of them.

pwrab
05-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Still have my cracked, beaten and on-it’s-last-legs red and white card.....rec’d a few notices over the past few years....never changed it so far. Never had a problem at the Dr’s office, x-Ray clinic, ultrasound, etc.
I will believe the “drop dead date”, when I see it.....