PDA

View Full Version : Trade-in at dealership question...

Screw
05-23-2019, 09:52 PM
When trading / selling a vehicle to a dealership is it normal for there to be a lag in payment ? Drop off car , I値l cut you a cheque next week ?
Part of transaction is taking delivery of one of their new vehicles prior to receiving payment for trade-in (next week) .
Not sure if I知 making sense thinking out loud...basically if I知 expected to deliver my vehicle I would expect to be paid at that time .

ZR
05-23-2019, 10:00 PM
Are you trading it in or selling to a dealer?
If trading in, normally dropped off when picking up new ride. No payment made to you (unless your not putting full equity of trade vehicle towards new one).
If selling to a dealer, yes I'd expect a check when I drop it off.

Screw
05-23-2019, 10:03 PM
Yes not putting equity of vehicle into new one .

ZR
05-23-2019, 10:06 PM
I would expect a check to be waiting when I dropped it off unless it's someone I have an established working relationship with.

Screw
05-23-2019, 10:13 PM
I would expect a check to be waiting when I dropped it off unless it's someone I have an established working relationship with.

Thanks I feel same way , not sure what common practice is .

ZR
05-23-2019, 10:15 PM
I'd treat it the same as when you've done a job for someone, expect to be paid. I'm sure whatever you owe when the new one is picked up will be due before you take possession of it.

Ponyryd
05-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Paid on delivery is the norm, if trading in, the value of the trade is taken off the cost of the new vehicle, in which case you also save a lot of taxes since you pay tax on what you pay for the car (after trade)

True Blue
05-24-2019, 08:28 AM
More importantly, what's the new vehicle? :)

Screw
05-24-2019, 09:49 AM
More importantly, what's the new vehicle? :)

Nothing on my end