PDA

View Full Version : Cordless grass trimmers...

Stephen06GT
06-01-2019, 03:10 PM
The batteries for my old Black & Decker trimmer barely hold a charge, and to replace them is as much as or more than a complete new trimmer. Looking for real world reviews and recommendations for a new trimmer.

Thanks

cf105arrow
06-01-2019, 04:13 PM
Love my Dewalt 20v. It has two speeds. The low speed is ideal for regular trimming. The high speed setting will rip through almost anything. They have a 60volt now that I’d like to get. I love there 60volt line of products.

IanGTCS
06-01-2019, 05:22 PM
I've been really happy with anything dewalt I've owned. Seems that most battery tool companies now have yard gear that runs on their standard batteries. So if you already have a few tools of one brand I'd look to see if they make a compatible one.

Also go straight shaft with the motor and battery at the top. Far easier to control and easier to edge your beds.

ZR
06-01-2019, 08:48 PM
Jumped into a Milwaukee Fuel last summer, tool is a monster. Same goes for the Fuel leaf blower.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ggn7EDxPL._SX425_.jpg

FABMAN
06-02-2019, 07:12 AM
I have the Ryobi 18v trimmer and leaf blower combo, works very well and has been issue free for several years now.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi-one-18v-cordless-string-trimmeredger-and-blowersweeper-kit-w-1-26-ah-battery-and-charger/1001300481?eid=PS_GOOGLE_E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_Outdoor%20Power_Outdoor%2 0Power_PLA_EN__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-343852238638&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_bm5mtXK4gIVh0GGCh0H4wOdEAQYAiAB EgK_TfD_BwE

Scott
06-02-2019, 09:54 AM
I went with the DeWalt 20V as well. Wife loves it no more gas oil mixture and fighting with it to start it. The Commander and Chief has even learned to charge and change batteries. On a serious note we have one at home and one at the cottage. Good pricing at IHL Canada.

JZ67
06-02-2019, 11:06 AM
The batteries for my old Black & Decker trimmer barely hold a charge, and to replace them is as much as or more than a complete new trimmer. Looking for real world reviews and recommendations for a new trimmer.

Thanks

Not sure if they are available but have you checked out amazon for aftermarket replacement batteries? Aftermarket batteries for my Dewalt drill are a fraction of the OEM price and they get good reviews.

I can't help with electric outdoor power equipment. My yard is fairly large so I have not migrated from fuel to battery. For what it's worth, my Stihl grass trimmer is incredibly reliable. Easy to use, light weight and powerful. With proper storage it fires right back up and never gives me a struggle.

5.4MarkVIII
06-02-2019, 01:00 PM
Not sure if they are available but have you checked out amazon for aftermarket replacement batteries? Aftermarket batteries for my Dewalt drill are a fraction of the OEM price and they get good reviews.

I can't help with electric outdoor power equipment. My yard is fairly large so I have not migrated from fuel to battery. For what it's worth, my Stihl grass trimmer is incredibly reliable. Easy to use, light weight and powerful. With proper storage it fires right back up and never gives me a struggle.

careful with the aftermarket stuff. seen a guy open them up to see what was different inside and the aftermarket where just straight charge/discharge, no proper controls to regulate input/ output and heat control

Uncle Buck
06-03-2019, 08:56 AM
We picked up a 40v Roybi lawnmower yesterday. Never thought I'd go rechargavble for lawn stuff but I'm impressed. Plenty of run time and power.

I have a bunch of Ryobi tools. I know it's not in the running with better brands but for a weekend warrior like me, Ryobi serves me very well and are easy on the wallet. In all my projects, there have been some big ones, I've only worn out one tool and it lastest 15 years.

Maybe I'll sell my Echo gas trimmer and get a 40v ryobi trimmer.

5.4MarkVIII
06-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Iirc Ryobi is Milwaukee ‘s house brand similar components just features geared more to the homeowner vs contractor.

RedSN
06-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Ryobi Power Tools and Ryobi Outdoor Power Equipment are brands of Techtronic Industries (Hong Kong), used under license from Ryobi Limited. Techtronics Industries also owns Milwaukee, AEG (AEG Powertools, licensed from Electrolux), Homelite, Hoover US, Dirt Devil, and Vax.
huh, had no idea.

stangstevers
06-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Impressed with my 80v Kobalt lawn mower. Once my cheapy black n decker trimmer dies (5 years old, same batteries) I'm going with Kobalt for that or Ryobi...

mavrrrick
06-03-2019, 01:58 PM
I went battery operated at one point and when battery died (1-2 seasons later) a replacement battery was almost as much as a new unit. Went back to gas - Stihl-have had it for 3-4 years and works flawlessly,

cf105arrow
06-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Before I had the dewalt equipment I used a black and decker unit. It had a sealed lead acid battery that lasted close to 10 years. It did a great job but was a little heavy. The newer dewalt stuff I’ve had for a couple of seasons now and shows no signs of slowing down. I try to use the largest battery I can put on so the draw is easier on the battery. I run the 9ah and sometimes the six. They aren’t cheap but they’ve lasted this long without showing any signs of degradation.

Ziggyzag420
06-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Stihl battery trimmer here

Intmdtr
06-04-2019, 09:38 PM
I use the Milwaukee fuel M18 trimmer as well. Some customers prefer me to not use loud trimmers on their property. Bonus of the Milwaukee....all my other cordless tools are Milwaukee as well. Plenty of chargers and batteries.

Frankie
06-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Ryobi here too.
Have had it for pretty much 10 years now, going strong.
And my newer Lithium batteries from my other tools still fit it!