PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a smoker

CDNfyrfytr
06-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Like the title says, looking at getting a smoker. Don’t want to mess with a real wood or charcoal smoker, too lazy for that. I’m torn between an electric cabinet style or a pellet smoker. Anyone have experience with either? Costco currently has Traeger pellet smokers for sale at my location and Sams Club has a Masterbuilt electric for a decent price.

Let me know your thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
06-04-2019, 08:55 PM
I go with the traeger do t have one yet myself but my sister-in-law’s BF has one and its amazing will smoke and grill easy to use. Ect. I’m planning on going that way when my current grill dies

Minaccia
06-04-2019, 08:57 PM
I bought the Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite propane powered smoker from Bass Pro Shop and it works great at keeping the temps steady and I use the large wooden chunks in the tray that sits over the burner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta4DMVH3QBk

Intmdtr
06-04-2019, 09:27 PM
I have the Bradley 4 rack digital smoker. I also have the cold smoking attachment for it. I love it, kind of a set it and forget it unit.

Screw
06-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Maybe cut back on smoke seeing your line of work eh

jk

Screw
06-04-2019, 10:56 PM
I bought the Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite propane powered smoker from Bass Pro Shop and it works great at keeping the temps steady and I use the large wooden chunks in the tray that sits over the burner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta4DMVH3QBk

Lou you gotta post some tutorials

NickD
06-05-2019, 07:17 AM
I’ve had both and 100% recommended the pellet smoker over the electric.
Treager pellets are not the best flavour wise but you can run any in the smoker.
I’ll try to come back and write a more detailed response

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black Sheep
06-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Looking for a smoker...Here ya go. ..not sure what she charges

CDNfyrfytr
06-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Maybe cut back on smoke seeing your line of work eh

jk

Hahaha! Ya maybe.

CDNfyrfytr
06-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Looking for a smoker...Here ya go. ..not sure what she charges

Yeesh....I’ve seen worse though [emoji6]

CDNfyrfytr
06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
Everyone seems to have an opinion when I search online and no one agrees. Big surprise. Seem everyone here is either propane or pellet, no electric. I’m leaning towards the pellet as it is pretty much set it and forget it. I tend to run out of propane on my gas grill so I don’t really want to go down that road. Convince me otherwise Lou [emoji6]

newbiestangowner
06-05-2019, 12:12 PM
Wise call not to go charcoal M.
I got Weber bullet- used it once in 10 years- hassle

Minaccia
06-05-2019, 12:29 PM
The heat is kept so low (200-225) when smoking that it burns half a tank for a 12-14 hour brisket when I use mine.

Everyone seems to have an opinion when I search online and no one agrees. Big surprise. Seem everyone here is either propane or pellet, no electric. I’m leaning towards the pellet as it is pretty much set it and forget it. I tend to run out of propane on my gas grill so I don’t really want to go down that road. Convince me otherwise Lou [emoji6]

Screw
06-05-2019, 01:29 PM

I’ll take it off your hands I got nothing to do anymore, I’ll start up cooking with jp302 ... since I got nothing to wax

Maybe jp-Webber or jp-5.7 or could be jp-fiveoh

IanGTCS
06-05-2019, 09:50 PM

I've got a bullet too. Use it every 2-3 weeks from May to October, maybe once a month in the winter depending on the weather. I really don't find it a hassle. Get the charcoal going, add meat and wood once it is at temperature. Helps that one of my friends is really into smoking and we always compare methods, recipes and share what we've made.

newbiestangowner
06-05-2019, 09:56 PM
I've got a bullet too. Use it every 2-3 weeks from May to October, maybe once a month in the winter depending on the weather. I really don't find it a hassle. Get the charcoal going, add meat and wood once it is at temperature. Helps that one of my friends is really into smoking and we always compare methods, recipes and share what we've made.

Idk
Just found keeping required temperature by adding charcoal / or even getting it started and up to temperature or adjusting those 3 air knobs ,then checking water bowl, then cleaning all the ash charcoal afterwards a pain- not to mention if it’s windy then u check your ribs or whatever and the breeze blows all that ash upwards onto the meat- oh well extra flavour. I use the Webber bbq to smoke- easy peezy
Hoped for stand alone smoker soon as not to occupy the bbq during bigger get togethers

CDNfyrfytr
06-11-2019, 08:19 PM
Well I decided to go with a pellet grill. Electric seemed to be very limited it what it could do, charcoal is too user intensive for me and propane is why I wanted to go away from the regular grill.

I went with the Pit Boss 700FB. Read lots of reviews and not much negative to say. Buddy also has a Pit Boss and loves it. Cooked some flank steaks this afternoon and they turned out excellent. I’ll give a further review once I’ve used it a few more times.

Thanks for all your input!

5.4MarkVIII
06-11-2019, 08:51 PM
any one use the Louisiana Grill brand? I have a supplier who can get them and thinking about bringing some in to see how they sell

NickD
06-12-2019, 09:44 PM
any one use the Louisiana Grill brand? I have a supplier who can get them and thinking about bringing some in to see how they sellI believe I used a bag once, they are popular and review well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CDNfyrfytr
06-16-2019, 12:57 PM
So a little update. I cooked a whole chicken the other day, turned out great. 225 degrees until the internal temperature was 130, then up to 350 until the the temp was 165 to crisp the skin.

Cooking a pulled pork shoulder today. Seared it at 350, then temp down to 250 for 5 hours...patience is a virtue when smoking apparently. They should sell it with the smoker.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190616/481d49598bd88265e0012f7c3c3c2aa2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190616/09ed0b5dee8ca866147b9b555df3c00f.jpg

In the driveway today cause the backyard is a wind tunnel ffs....

Minaccia
06-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Nice to hear you're enjoying it, I smoke an 8 lbs brisket every year that takes 12-14 hours @ 225 with a brush of mop every 45 minutes.

RedSN
06-16-2019, 06:25 PM
...patience is a virtue when smoking apparently. They should sell it with the smoker.
That’s why they sell beer in 2-4’s