PDA

View Full Version : loud or no loud?

stangstevers
06-10-2019, 06:41 AM
One of my cats blew up on route to a car show, I thought I busted a rod or something - the noise is ugly lol

Anyway since my BBK catted H-pipe has only maybe 1000km on it (MAX) I will try and deal with them to get it fixed. But while I have the car on the hoist... I feel like I should make it a tad louder than the (whatever?) Flowmasters I have now. I don't know what model, they aren't very noisy my Cobra roller rockers are louder than my exhaust. Thinking about the BBK varitone or the Black Widow mufflers?

Worst case, I will finally find a way to add some electric cutouts and get best of both worlds? Just not a whole lot of space under these cars.

hsousa88
06-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Pretty happy with my Flowmaster 10’s. Not so loud at idle/low rpm but insanely loud at anything above 3.5k

You blew out a cat already? That’s shitty.. mine are about 5 years old and are ok (minus a rust hole at the hanger that zr welded up)

Stephen06GT
06-10-2019, 01:17 PM
I’m thinking of going the other way with Ol Paint, as I think it’s a little too loud. However, when I tell people this they say “no, don’t do it. It sounds great!” I have a set of GT500 mufflers sitting in my basement just waiting for me to decide.

NickD
06-10-2019, 01:38 PM
I’m thinking of going the other way with Ol Paint, as I think it’s a little too loud. However, when I tell people this they say “no, don’t do it. It sounds great!” I have a set of GT500 mufflers sitting in my basement just waiting for me to decide.Ive got a set of Borla tourings that have a great time but are quieter then most of your interested.
I went with the 2010+ gt500 mufflers and they flow much better then the earlier units.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

stangstevers
06-11-2019, 07:35 AM
Damn... I have to spend another 500 bucks on a new mid-pipe? I'd go X-pipe this time around... I could perhaps buy two new cats and weld them in but it will always look "jobber" to me. I'd hate to give more money to BBK for a defective product. Unless my car runs too rich and it killed the cats quickly? I checked my smog pump and it's running perfectly, no codes on my A9L either.

On that note, I hear the rattle (had the car on the hoist and listened to everything with old "ear on a screwdriver" trick). Definitely coming from the cats. When I took the H-pipe off, I didn't see anything out of norm looking through it but couldn't shake it by hand because I couldn't find an easy way to shut up the flanges...

So here's my dumbfuck thought process...

I have longtubes, catted H-pipe (broken), Flowmaster mufflers and tails. Fixing the issue is roughly 500 bucks, I also want louder exhaust, another possible 400 bucks... so up to 900 all said and done. My idiot-math is telling me to spend a little more and get an On3 turbo setup LMAO... albeit even getting the car fixed will cause near divorce level fights again... I always wanted a turbo fox though, nothing crazy I'd be happy with 300rwhp and minimal boost - still want it to be somewhat reliable.

hammerhead
06-11-2019, 08:03 AM
Turbo will silence your exhaust to BMW levels lol sorry scrape hahaha :stickpoke:

mavrrrick
06-11-2019, 08:23 AM
YOU CAN DOOOO IT!!!

hsousa88
06-11-2019, 04:16 PM
Ehh you don’t need a on3 turbo for 300rwhp

stangstevers
06-11-2019, 04:32 PM
True... just good hci combo.

Frankie
06-12-2019, 11:01 AM
I have the X Pipe from BBK for longtubes and my cats did the same thing.
Welding in hi-flow aftermarket cats resulted in a noticeable difference in volume - maybe double.

Could try that first?

stangstevers
06-12-2019, 04:20 PM
I'm getting an x pipe shipped at discounted rate... hopefully it will last longer...