View Full Version : cell phone data.

5.4MarkVIII
06-10-2019, 07:29 AM
anyone else having issues with cell phone data?

had the same phone for almost 2 years now. same apps, same daily routine (which I admit is too much)
but all of a suddin dispite no change in phone or usage my data ussage has gone crasy. like couple gig a month usage to 8 gig in the last 6 weeks.

apps that never used data before like my music app which has all the songs downloaded and on the phone used 2 gb last month never used that before. facebook jumped to 1.5gb. my pod cast app i keep the cell data off and it downloads the ones i want to listen to at home while on wifi. it used almost 3 gb and three times ive gone back and had to turn off the cell data, it keeps turning back on on its own.

anyone else experinecing this?

im kinda assuming its lime my home internet every year like clock work at renewal time my home internet gets stuppis slow and stops working they alwasy have 100 excuses but in the end the only thing that fixis it is a "sligtly higher fee" to up my speed and then it works again

Laffs
06-10-2019, 08:08 AM
Turn off push notifications and disable downloading while on network data. Apps are increasingly wanting more.

True Blue
06-10-2019, 08:13 AM
^^^ This!

What are you using, Android or Apple?

5.4MarkVIII
06-10-2019, 10:06 AM
It’s an Apple. And I keep all auto downloading and push notifications off

Old Fart
06-10-2019, 10:13 AM
"Background app refresh" off?

5.4MarkVIII
06-10-2019, 10:49 AM
I’ll double check but I think so. And make a point to keep all the apps closed when not in use

RedSN
06-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Kids turned off?

Stephen06GT
06-10-2019, 01:13 PM
My iPhone did the same thing a month or two ago. I turned off all data, which had little effect. I wound up powering off the phone and restarting it. That seemed do do the trick. Good luck.

StAnger
06-11-2019, 05:45 AM
It’s an Apple.

Well there's your first problem.

92redragtop
06-11-2019, 11:27 AM
That seems odd - unless there was a software update that changed the settings you previously set. I think there was at least one update in the past couple months? Perhaps as others have said, check your settings to see it if they got rolled back (including Wi-Fi Assist if you're hanging out in the shop more and wi-fi signal not as strong there). I assume your data tracking/billing is for your device only, not shared. Also, maybe the kids hacked your phone and have been streaming Baby Shark videos.

5.4MarkVIII
06-11-2019, 03:04 PM
id like to say my kids are not smart enough for that but they probably are. lol

even had the wife double check and everything is off. it is a shared plan but the data is all coming from my phone apparently. Im a cheap bastard so usually have everything turned off cellular data so it will only work if I have a wifi signal

92redragtop
06-11-2019, 04:23 PM
id like to say my kids are not smart enough for that but they probably are. lol

even had the wife double check and everything is off. it is a shared plan but the data is all coming from my phone apparently. Im a cheap bastard so usually have everything turned off cellular data so it will only work if I have a wifi signal

So "Wi-Fi Assist" still turned off?

5.4MarkVIII
06-11-2019, 05:33 PM
yes

92redragtop
06-11-2019, 06:01 PM
That's weird then.....

5.4MarkVIII
06-11-2019, 06:23 PM
Yeah it’s not like just a little bit extra. It’s 2 to 3 times more than I would usually use. And it’s like the 3rd month in a row like that

Intmdtr
06-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Is it with Rogers? They just released their unlimited data package....it’s a ploy to make you move up. They just increase the data required for each app....forcing you to think you need a bigger package. That’s my thoughts anyway