PDA

View Full Version : Cams, do they hurt the car ?

Zutz2v
07-09-2019, 09:31 PM
I feel like this is going to be looked at as a dumb question, I only ask because I seen so many blown engines on YouTube with cams installed. May just be a coincidence.

Essentially I’d like to install lumpy cams to give my 03 GT SC a more deep meaner sound. I’m just worried it might hurt the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammerhead
07-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Would need more info on the blown engine's - if a new can went into an old tired engine that's a possibility - I would say it wouldn't be the cam alone to cause a blown engine but a series of wrongs or age or maybe nitrous or boost on high compression... Most street cams are pretty tame and really don't make a lot of HP on their own...

ZR
07-09-2019, 10:35 PM
Many of the failures in modular engines is when someone cheaps out with install and parts they should have upgraded and or replaced.

Uncle Buck
07-09-2019, 10:51 PM
I've never heard of cams hurting an engine. They can hurt torque, hp and drivability if poorly selected for the setup.

Zutz2v
07-09-2019, 11:15 PM
I’m not looking to increase HP. Just looking for a meaner sound.

If it helps here are my specs
100k on motor
V2 blower
3.73 in rear
Intercooled
And tuned on 94
3 in borla exhaust.

maxwell6
07-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Are you referring to a lumpy cam sound,or deeper exhaust sound.

Zutz2v
07-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Are you referring to a lumpy cam sound,or deeper exhaust sound.

Lumpy cam sound. I already have a deep sounding exhaust. I have a 3 inch borla cat back

Laffs
07-10-2019, 09:29 AM
If you just try to slap some hawg ass cams in your 2V without knowing what you're doing, ya you're going to have piston to valve clearance issues and fuck your day up. Anything above around a 262 duration w/550 lift will start getting in to needing to notch pistons/thicker HG/serious degreeing territory.

I have comp XE262AH cams, which are about as much as you can go without having clearance issues. If you want a serious lopey cam you're pulling apart the top end to do this and notching pistons/getting new pistons.

In any event, you need new springs/retainers. Should seriously consider replacing your front timing tensioners/chains since your going to have the front cover off anyway. Also a retune will be 100% needed.

RedSN
07-10-2019, 09:56 AM
They can hurt torque, hp and drivability if poorly selected for the setup.
Right, but they sound cool. Especially if bored and stroked.

Zutz2v
07-10-2019, 10:14 AM
If you just try to slap some hawg ass cams in your 2V without knowing what you're doing, ya you're going to have piston to valve clearance issues and fuck your day up. Anything above around a 262 duration w/550 lift will start getting in to needing to notch pistons/thicker HG/serious degreeing territory.

I have comp XE262AH cams, which are about as much as you can go without having clearance issues. If you want a serious lopey cam you're pulling apart the top end to do this and notching pistons/getting new pistons.

In any event, you need new springs/retainers. Should seriously consider replacing your front timing tensioners/chains since your going to have the front cover off anyway. Also a retune will be 100% needed.

I’m definitely not doing it myself. I get all work done professionally. I haven’t researched any cams yet. Based on what I’m running what do you recommend cam wise ?

I have all stock internals with a V2 supercharger

Laffs
07-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Here's my shit with Comp XE262AH cams. Fairly bolt in installation (as far as cams go) and didn't have any PTV issues. I'm also stock internals Vortech V3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDSOR85790

Here's another car with a Vortech setup but Comp 270 cams, much more aggressive tone and lope but needed clearance work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOv22vmz9w4

Zutz2v
07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Here's my shit with Comp XE262AH cams. Fairly bolt in installation (as far as cams go) and didn't have any PTV issues. I'm also stock internals Vortech V3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDSOR85790

Here's another car with a Vortech setup but Comp 270 cams, much more aggressive tone and lope but needed clearance work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOv22vmz9w4

Your car is super clean. I love it. But it didn’t have any sound

Zutz2v
07-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Your car is super clean. I love it. But it didn’t have any sound

The video I mean

Laffs
07-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Feel like that's a problem on your video end. Works for me.

Zutz2v
07-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Feel like that's a problem on your video end. Works for me.

I looked it up on YouTube. I like the way it sounds on idle.

What setup are you running with yours and have you got it dyno’d ?

Laffs
07-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Vortech V3, 12lbs of boost, 42lbs injectors, BBK340 pump, Snow meth injection, Comp XE262AH cams, stock bottom end on borrowed time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041o77kwU9E

Zutz2v
07-10-2019, 04:45 PM
Vortech V3, 12lbs of boost, 42lbs injectors, BBK340 pump, Snow meth injection, Comp XE262AH cams, stock bottom end on borrowed time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041o77kwU9E

I need to find out what my car has, yours looks identical to mind just mine is blue https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/ab0a123677d84efda18d676c4cde0c7f.jpg

StratGT
07-19-2019, 01:11 AM
I’m not looking to increase HP. Just looking for a meaner sound.

Due to the low lift and tight duration of the stock cams, all properly installed aftermarket cams will add power.

I have Comp blower cams in my 2V. All Comp 2V cams have .550 lift but offer different durations so the installer needs to check for clearance. A spring upgrade is strongly recommended...the Comp Beehive springs are affordable but the install take time.

It's not a cheap way to go just for sound.

maxwell6
07-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Hi Laffs I have a similar set up to yours. Do you mind sharing what your dyno results were.

yllrgt
07-21-2019, 08:56 AM
I need to find out what my car has, yours looks identical to mind just mine is blue https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190710/ab0a123677d84efda18d676c4cde0c7f.jpg

i'm a big fan of those two rides .

Laffs
07-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Hi Laffs I have a similar set up to yours. Do you mind sharing what your dyno results were.

400 and change to the tire.

Ponyryd
07-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Cams don’t hurt the car unless improperly sized/installed. That being said, there are a lot of cam choices out there so make sure you get a blower cam that will work for your combo...custom cams are best of course, but your setup is pretty common so it should be easy to find a good off the shelf cam like Laffs has. After cams a new tune will definitely be needed.

Zutz2v
07-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Due to the low lift and tight duration of the stock cams, all properly installed aftermarket cams will add power.

I have Comp blower cams in my 2V. All Comp 2V cams have .550 lift but offer different durations so the installer needs to check for clearance. A spring upgrade is strongly recommended...the Comp Beehive springs are affordable but the install take time.

It's not a cheap way to go just for sound.

Fair enough but adding power isn’t bad either. Laffs was saying I need to know what setup I want. Now clearly I have no clue. So could you recommend a set up ? I want a lump cam.
Currently I have all stock internals with a V2 supercharger and intercooler. 3.73 in rear with stage 2 racing clutch

StratGT
07-24-2019, 12:31 AM
Fair enough but adding power isn’t bad either. Laffs was saying I need to know what setup I want. Now clearly I have no clue. So could you recommend a set up ? I want a lump cam.
Currently I have all stock internals with a V2 supercharger and intercooler. 3.73 in rear with stage 2 racing clutch

Cushman is a good person to talk to...take his advice.

I listed a link, this is a great cam for your car. On his website you'll hear the sound of his cams.

http://www.cushmanmotorsports.com/cms-2v-stage-2-5-blower-cams/

Keep in mind, you'll need: new valve cover gaskets, new timing cover gaskets, new crank bolt unless yours is reusable, new chain guides if yours are original, new cam bolts, new valve springs...ask Cushman for a full list of parts.

maxwell6
07-24-2019, 08:01 AM
Very nice Laffs now build that bottom end and turn it up.:mechanic:

Laffs
07-24-2019, 08:35 AM
Very nice Laffs now build that bottom end and turn it up.:mechanic:

If I find a 03/04 Cobra shortblock I'd swap that in and turn the boost up. Otherwise I don't really want to spend the time and money to have the 2v built up for get another 100 or so HP on the street. For what I want from this car going even crazier will only result in more headaches I feel.

maxwell6
07-24-2019, 09:21 AM
I hear ya. I am making 496rwhp 469 torque with a built bottom end, and a few headaches.

Zutz2v
07-24-2019, 09:37 AM
I hear ya. I am making 496rwhp 469 torque with a built bottom end, and a few headaches.

I’m pushing 429rwhp from that point on is there even much of a point trying to hit 5 ?

Laffs
07-24-2019, 09:59 AM
If you've always wondered what it would be like to do a wide open pull and end up with 4 neutral gears sure, other wise not really.

Zutz2v
07-24-2019, 11:22 AM
If you've always wondered what it would be like to do a wide open pull and end up with 4 neutral gears sure, other wise not really.

LMFAOOOO

maxwell6
07-24-2019, 02:42 PM
My dyno run is on youtube its DCT tuned big boost 2v.

Zutz2v
07-24-2019, 11:27 PM
My dyno run is on youtube its DCT tuned big boost 2v.

The run looks good but they’re is no specs posted