PDA

View Full Version : Help from Gamers

hammerhead
07-17-2019, 10:46 AM
I have no idea or interest in online games such as Fort Night. I have an 18year old at home who has no interest in life other than this game. He is like a drug attic with all the symptoms that come along being a drug attic. I need a little help understanding the game and maybe that will help me understand him. I have a few questions maybe you gamers can help me with - Do people actually make money playing this game? - Is being ranked 3000 in the world good? - Should I tolerate this and invest more money for him in order for him to be successful? - My wife and I are at a loss and I'm hesitant to resort to drastic measures against something I don't fully understand. Life has change drastically since I was a young man and maybe this is a viable means for a comfortable living. I would appreciate any constructive thoughts - thanks!

Laffs
07-17-2019, 12:04 PM
I suspect he'll move past it eventually. I was an 18 year old who played a tonne of Halo and survived on a diet of Doritos and Dr. Pepper. Eventually interest in the game wanes and you find something else to spend your time on.

As for the other questions, most people who "make money" playing games are streamers (Twitch) or media creators (Youtube). There are professional eSports teams and competitions but even then I think the revenue still is mostly sponsorship related. Also the odds of making a living from it, think professional sports then realize that the pool of applicants is 3x the size. That said is this a case of parents overblowing the issue, many many people treat gaming as their social time and perhaps he doesn't enjoy interacting with peers locally but has find like minded friends in the online community.

If he loves playing and has some form of a plan as to how he plans to transition that in to money (does he want to stream? start a Youtube channel?...etc) go ahead and nurture that aspect. Otherwise if he's abandoned worldly responsibilities and isn't trying to better his life by any means, unplug the router?

hammerhead
07-17-2019, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Laffs;306957]I suspect he'll move past it eventually. I was an 18 year old who played a tonne of Halo and survived on a diet of Doritos and Dr. Pepper. Eventually interest in the game wanes and you find something else to spend your time on.

As for the other questions, most people who "make money" playing games are streamers (Twitch) or media creators (Youtube). There are professional eSports teams and competitions but even then I think the revenue still is mostly sponsorship related. Also the odds of making a living from it, think professional sports then realize that the pool of applicants is 3x the size. That said is this a case of parents overblowing the issue, many many people treat gaming as their social time and perhaps he doesn't enjoy interacting with peers locally but has find like minded friends in the online community.

If he loves playing and has some form of a plan as to how he plans to transition that in to money (does he want to stream? start a Youtube channel?...etc) go ahead and nurture that aspect. Otherwise if he's abandoned worldly responsibilities and isn't trying to better his life by any means, unplug the router?[/QUOTE

Thanks Laffs - I'm really trying not to be that parent but also have to deal with the High Commander who sometimes adds fuel to the fire but she means well. I'm trying to approach this with an open mind. I can't pummel him cause he's a lot like me and I see huge potential in him. This one has always walked a different path much like myself. I always try to encourage them but not knowing makes this difficult. I will look into this further and found some interesting reading. I need some ammunition so I can sit down and talk to him. He by far been the most difficult and for the longest time the neighbours thought I only had two kids, Nick and Jesus Christ...lol - we are an introverted bunch but his local friends from school are a team online and gather to play.

You teenage diet was much like my bachelor's diet of Molson Ex and microwave popcorn...lol

RedSN
07-17-2019, 01:07 PM
...bachelor's diet of Molson Ex and microwave popcorn...lol
Beer and popcorn: it has been dinner in our household more than once ...usually my wife's idea LOL
Except she's a gourmet popcorn maker with a Whirley Pop and everything

edit: and it's "Fortnite", not Fort Night. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

hammerhead
07-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Beer and popcorn: it has been dinner in our household more than once ...usually my wife's idea LOL
Except she's a gourmet popcorn maker with a Whirley Pop and everything

edit: and it's "Fortnite", not Fort Night. But that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Hahaha thanks that's a good start "correct spelling"

newbiestangowner
07-17-2019, 02:31 PM
What Laffs said.x2

I’m going through this with my 15 yr old. So we have restricted but not totally eliminated his gaming time.
It’s hard since , I myself put heavy hours as well in modern warfare games but I still have to work , cook , etc etc.
One thing I noticed with my son was - everything was taken care of - ie laundry, stuff he needed, money etc so yea he could just play online.
So we assigned chores, and things that he wanted to buy ( well how you going to pay for that) - he ended up getting a part- time job Mr pretzels lol and we got him playing basketball. So other activities keep him busy now. I tell him I’m not gonna be around forever to take care of you lol.

Some Money can be made if actively participating in online tournaments/ team play ( MLG ) major league gaming but otherwise just playing online ps4 then no- my ranking is quite high MW games I’ve never made a cent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSN
07-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Life has change drastically since I was a young man and maybe this is a viable means for a comfortable living.

Some Money can be made if actively participating in online tournaments/ team play ( MLG ) major league gaming but otherwise just playing online ps4 then no- my ranking is quite high MW games I’ve never made a cent.
Not only never MADE a cent, it COST me quarters. That was my motivation to put the game down: out of quarters.

newbiestangowner
07-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Not only never MADE a cent, it COST me quarters. That was my motivation to put the game down: out of quarters.

Actually that’s it lol- not costing my Son anything directly to play,
Hardware - I paid
Annual online membership- I paid
Hydro- I pay
Tv- I paid
Game- I paid

Son’s lost potential income playing game ( before Mr Pretzel) - I pay

No wonder I’m not able to trade slo turd to get the car I need ( not want) lol

5.4MarkVIII
07-17-2019, 06:39 PM
there is incentive for gaming to become something that will pay the bills and there are those who make ALOT of money doing it however it’s really not as easy as a lot of young people think. and it really has no reflection on how good you are (though it helps)

YouTube is not a viable source of income for a game. with copyrights and such as they are often times videos end up removed or at the very least demonetized. this is why most gamers have moved to streaming platforms such as twitch. but your success is widely dependent on content and personality. literally thousands upon thousands try and very few make enough to live off of. (uploading is expensive) also the new wave is VR, super expensive to get into that

gaming in tournaments is also not a viable option for most people. lots of us think we are good enough but the reality is we are not.

I have two friends that have made video games into a career. one got into a company as a tester and also is a phenomenal artist (but have not talked to him in probably 15 years so no idea what he is up to now)

the other started with some online game buddies and tried his hand at the YouTube (this was maybe eight to ten years ago) it was a ton of work editing and uploading. and the reality of the internet is, it sucks. people are assholes to the next level and if you don’t have a thick skin you wont last.

what this buddy did do though was network. he formed a group of friends all over north America and started to travel out to visit as well as hit up game cons. he met with some people and ended up starting out writing reviews and now makes tutorials for a gaming mag.

the reality is if all he does is play he wont make a living off of it. though getting him to see this might be difficult. maybe try and play to some other strengths. like art, or writing, and coding if he is interested. get him out to some game cons.
video games are a multi billion dollar industry and there is jobs there he just has to get up and go for it.

not sure his age but there are places that do computer camps during the summer might get him interested. I follow a guy on YouTube called QUILL18, he is an Ontario guy (north bay I think) he does it full time streaming, and YouTube. he also has a programing channel where he does tutorials and stuff for programing games. might be worth checking out

1quikgt
07-17-2019, 10:14 PM
And yes, being ranked 3000th in a game with millions of players is good. Probably not tournament money making good though.

I’m 34 and have been playing video games since Sega Genesis came out almost 30 years ago. In fact I’m waiting for The Division 2 to start up on my ps4 right now lol.

Screw
07-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Can he not direct his talent /interest to companies that develop these games for an income..if I’m in left field just ignore what I said I know sfa about gaming

newbiestangowner
07-17-2019, 10:39 PM
Can he not direct his talent /interest to companies that develop these games for an income..if I’m in left field just ignore what I said I know sfa about gaming

New hobby for u then - get ur mind away from being stangless for now
I have an extra ps3 here, help get you started but I take no responsibility when you start to miss booked appointments with customers.

hammerhead
07-17-2019, 11:03 PM
there is incentive for gaming to become something that will pay the bills and there are those who make ALOT of money doing it however its really not as easy as a lot of young people think. and it really has not reflection on how good you are (though it helps)

youtube is not a viable source of income for a game. bit copyrights and such as they are often times videos end up removes or at the very least demonetized. this is why most gamers have moves to streaming platforms such as twitch. but your success is widely dependent on content and personality. liter thousand upon thousands try and very few make enough to live off of. (uploading is expensive) also the new wave is VR, super expensive to get into that

gaming in tournomets is also not a viable option for most people. lots of us think we are good enough but the reality is we are not.

I have two friends that have mede vidio games into a carrier. one got into a company as a tester and also is a phenomanal artist (but have not talked to him in probably 15 years so no idea what he is up to now)

the other started with some online game buddies and tried his hand at the youtube (this was maybe eight to ten years ago) it was a tone of work edidting and uploading. and the reality of the internet is, it sucks. people are assholes to the next level and if you dont have a thick skin you wont last.

what this buddy did do though was network. he formed a group of firends all over north america and started to travel out to visit as well as hit up gamecons. he met with some people and ended up starting out writing reiveiws and not makes tourorials for a gaming mag.

the reality is if all he does is play he wont make a living off of it. thogh getting him to see this might be difficult. maybe try and play to some other strenghts. like art, or writing, and coding if he is intersded. get him out to some game cons.
video games are a multi billion dollar industry and there is jobs there he just has to get up ant go for it.

not sure is age but there are placed that do computer camps during the summer might get him interested. i follow a guy on youtube called QUILL18, he is an ontario guy (northbay i think) he does it full time streaming, and youtube. he also has a programing channel where he does toutorials and stuff for programing games. might be worth checking out

a lot of this make sense - he does possess a lot interest in computers - art - and video....

hammerhead
07-17-2019, 11:07 PM
And yes, being ranked 3000th in a game with millions of players is good. Probably not tournament money making good though.

I’m 34 and have been playing video games since Sega Genesis came out almost 30 years ago. In fact I’m waiting for The Division 2 to start up on my ps4 right now lol.

he told me once he played in a tournament and got close but no cigar - i think that's great you can balance life and gaming i'm pretty sure if i was young i would have been a gamer - but race car games (can i make money at that...LOL) 30 years ago is amazing i had no idea...

- - - Updated - - -

that i saw someone in my left field...lol

- - - Updated - - -

New hobby for u then - get ur mind away from being stangless for now
I have an extra ps3 here, help get you started but I take no responsibility when you start to miss booked appointments with customers.

my thumbs get sore just thinking about being a gamer..lol

Screw
07-17-2019, 11:11 PM
My idea of gaming is “channel surf”

hammerhead
07-17-2019, 11:14 PM
My idea of gaming is “channel surf”

i can't even do that anymore...lol

1quikgt
07-18-2019, 12:02 AM
Depends on my work schedule and when my wife goes to bed. I’m sure it’ll change as my kids get older but I’ll continue to enjoy it while it lasts. I agree with everyone else, push him towards the aspects of gaming that deliver a steady paycheque like development or testing.

hammerhead
07-18-2019, 07:16 AM
Depends on my work schedule and when my wife goes to bed. I’m sure it’ll change as my kids get older but I’ll continue to enjoy it while it lasts. I agree with everyone else, push him towards the aspects of gaming that deliver a steady paycheque like development or testing.

Yes the comments are helpful - he's only 18 and just started working - I think the challenge is to get him into routine and realize he needs a backup plan - all this reminds me of my dad (of all things) who was hooked on Zelda some 25yrs ago lol but he didn't lose his job and was never introduced to the internet. We use to lake fun of him a 50/someodd year old man locking himself in his room with the spare TV..hahaha

1quikgt
07-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Yes the comments are helpful - he's only 18 and just started working - I think the challenge is to get him into routine and realize he needs a backup plan - all this reminds me of my dad (of all things) who was hooked on Zelda some 25yrs ago lol but he didn't lose his job and was never introduced to the internet. We use to lake fun of him a 50/someodd year old man locking himself in his room with the spare TV..hahaha

That will be me when I’m 50. I absolutely plan on kicking my kids ass when we start to let them play some games. Then chirp them when I do lol.

RedSN
07-18-2019, 08:59 AM
...i'm pretty sure if i was young i would have been a gamer - but race car games
If Matt was still here he would try and draft you into the i-Racing league. And then correct me: "it's not a game! it's a simulator!"

Harbinger
07-18-2019, 09:32 AM
I was obsessed with counter strike in my mid to late teens. And I'm still a gamer today albeit much more relaxed. My new obsession is the mustang.

He still needs to know his limits and should not let the game impact his school or social life.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Harbinger
07-18-2019, 09:35 AM

I’m 34 and have been playing video games since Sega Genesis came out almost 30 years ago. In fact I’m waiting for The Division 2 to start up on my ps4 right now lol.I'm patiently waiting for Doom Eternal.

hammerhead
07-18-2019, 09:55 AM
I was obsessed with counter strike in my mid to late teens. And I'm still a gamer today albeit much more relaxed. My new obsession is the mustang.

He still needs to know his limits and should not let the game impact his school or social life.

That's a good point - I recall a few years back buying him a dirt bike and he actually sold all his gamer stuff including computer - after the bike died he didn't want to fix it - maybe I should revisit that -

Not4you
07-18-2019, 11:06 AM
If Matt was still here he would try and draft you into the i-Racing league. And then correct me: "it's not a game! it's a simulator!"

I still lurk a bit. I have a wheel & pedals to get you started if you want ...

There are a lot of good points here, but I may add a few.

I guess first off, is he 'just' playing all the time or is he actually wanting to take it serious and make a career out of it? If the former, there is no gain and he is wasting his time. Sure it may be fun and all, but at 18 he should probably be thinking of college/university and/or full employment by now. If the latter, while it is a serious longshot (1 in a million maybe) there could be some potential to make something of it.

I know a lot of creators, who are really good players, who get regular audiences of 2-5 people per stream/video. The few I know that are successful - one could probably be a stand up comic with legit on screen carisma, one is a world champion now racing in the WEC, and another posts up daily content spanning usually 5-10 different games plus now a real life home improvement show. It takes more than just being good while playing in your parents basement. All these guys have enormous personality, they put on a show while playing.

Successful creators also spend surprising little time actually playing the games. A 20 minute youtube video upload may involve 2 hours of planning/scripting, 2 hours of gameplay, and 4-6 hours of editing, production, still photography, processing, uploading. So a simple daily upload eats up a full day of "work". But to maintain a daily schedule (extremely important to early success), they may be planning weeks in advance, putting in the time and effort and money to keep the content pipeline full. 10+ hour days, 7 days a week, non-stop. So to make a serious go at something he is currently playing 'all the time', he's going to need to stop playing in order to get the content out to bring in the money. It becomes more than a full time job. And burnout is real. So many hugely successful creators have left the industry due to fatigue and often serious mental health reasons.

And this is assuming he has an audience who are waiting anxiously for every new upload to maintain views. He'd likely need to quickly build a following of maybe a few thousand subscribers/followers and get 1000+ views on every piece of content to make some money. Then as it grows he could start a patreon and hope for monthly donations. But the audience will need to be getting more than just good gameplay - thats a dime a dozen, or more accurately fractions of a penny for millions. Twitch and Youtube are overwhelmed in content. His would need to stand out from the masses. Millions upload daily with no views, what would make his rise to the top?

And this assumes Fortnite is still trending hot longterm. But I wouldn't count on that for a career. Very few games have the staying power that allows guys to keep pushing out content year over year. If he can diversify and create content for 5-10 games regularly that could help negate the chances that one stops trending. But even one a day across 7 games is only a weekly upload - and that likely won't fly unless he already has the audiences built up.

It sounds like he has his gaming stuff in place, but what about the other 'studio' things? Face cam, lighting, microphones, a second computer dedicated to processing and uploading etc etc.

One last thing to keep in mind - like Minecraft, and a lot of other big games, Fortnite was designed specifically to trigger key conditions of addiction. Resource gathering, survival, time pressure, achievements, looting, competition, fast movements, bright colours. It checks a lot of boxes on a psychological level to addict. So you'll likely want to get to the bottom of this with him. Is he addicted, or just passionate?

hammerhead
07-18-2019, 11:34 AM

I think I seen those at a big arcade the kids always went to at square one - I have to say I was tempted to drop a wad when I seen them...lol

hammerhead
07-18-2019, 11:49 AM

I guess first off, is he 'just' playing all the time or is he actually wanting to take it serious and make a career out of it? If the former, there is no gain and he is wasting his time. Sure it may be fun and all, but at 18 he should probably be thinking of college/university and/or full employment by now. If the latter, while it is a serious longshot (1 in a million maybe) there could be some potential to make something of it.

I know a lot of creators, who are really good players, who get regular audiences of 2-5 people per stream/video. The few I know that are successful - one could probably be a stand up comic with legit on screen carisma, one is a world champion now racing in the WEC, and another posts up daily content spanning usually 5-10 different games plus now a real life home improvement show. It takes more than just being good while playing in your parents basement. All these guys have enormous personality, they put on a show while playing.

Successful creators also spend surprising little time actually playing the games. A 20 minute youtube video upload may involve 2 hours of planning/scripting, 2 hours of gameplay, and 4-6 hours of editing, production, still photography, processing, uploading. So a simple daily upload eats up a full day of "work". But to maintain a daily schedule (extremely important to early success), they may be planning weeks in advance, putting in the time and effort and money to keep the content pipeline full. 10+ hour days, 7 days a week, non-stop. So to make a serious go at something he is currently playing 'all the time', he's going to need to stop playing in order to get the content out to bring in the money. It becomes more than a full time job. And burnout is real. So many hugely successful creators have left the industry due to fatigue and often serious mental health reasons.

And this is assuming he has an audience who are waiting anxiously for every new upload to maintain views. He'd likely need to quickly build a following of maybe a few thousand subscribers/followers and get 1000+ views on every piece of content to make some money. Then as it grows he could start a patreon and hope for monthly donations. But the audience will need to be getting more than just good gameplay - thats a dime a dozen, or more accurately fractions of a penny for millions. Twitch and Youtube are overwhelmed in content. His would need to stand out from the masses. Millions upload daily with no views, what would make his rise to the top?

And this assumes Fortnite is still trending hot longterm. But I wouldn't count on that for a career. Very few games have the staying power that allows guys to keep pushing out content year over year. If he can diversify and create content for 5-10 games regularly that could help negate the chances that one stops trending. But even one a day across 7 games is only a weekly upload - and that likely won't fly unless he already has the audiences built up.

It sounds like he has his gaming stuff in place, but what about the other 'studio' things? Face cam, lighting, microphones, a second computer dedicated to processing and uploading etc etc.

One last thing to keep in mind - like Minecraft, and a lot of other big games, Fortnite was designed specifically to trigger key conditions of addiction. Resource gathering, survival, time pressure, achievements, looting, competition, fast movements, bright colours. It checks a lot of boxes on a psychological level to addict. So you'll likely want to get to the bottom of this with him. Is he addicted, or just passionate?

That's a lot of good advice - I'm thinking its the same as being self employed - I'm going to read thru this again - he does have a good setup but he keeps whinnig to us he needs more and u fortunately we just don't understand it - I believe he built his own computers and he's pretty good with that - he is also good with photography and video but our equipment limits his ability for this - its funny because the High Commander always finds ways to shut his WiFi down but he always manages to get around it and plug away - I think its funny watching the two silently go at it...lol /I plan to sit him down and talk with him and maybe help him organize thoughts and time management and maybe get him set up better with his own interest feed etc. - I'm gathering info and I have to talk to him when the High Commander is not around...lol this info you have shared will help with that conversation he's pretty intelligent and I need to kind of know a it or I will just lose him...

hammerhead
07-18-2019, 12:11 PM

That's a lot of good advice - I'm thinking its the same as being self employed - I'm going to read thru this again - he does have a good setup but he keeps whinnig to us he needs more and u fortunately we just don't understand it - I believe he built his own computers and he's pretty good with that - he is also good with photography and video but our equipment limits his ability for this - its funny because the High Commander always finds ways to shut his WiFi down but he always manages to get around it and plug away - I think its funny watching the two silently go at it...lol /I plan to sit him down and talk with him and maybe help him organize thoughts and time management and maybe get him set up better with his own internet feed etc. - I'm gathering info and I have to talk to him when the High Commander is not around...lol this info you have shared will help with that conversation he's pretty intelligent and I need to kind of know a it or I will just lose him...also he's a bit of a scammer and will try to scam me...lol the skinny little bugger has ball's

Not4you
07-18-2019, 12:13 PM
maybe let him do most of the talking to start ... see where he is coming from and legit try to learn and understand what it all means to him. ;)

Not4you
07-18-2019, 12:54 PM
FYI ...

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=fortnite

Harbinger
07-18-2019, 02:37 PM
That's a lot of good advice - I'm thinking its the same as being self employed - I'm going to read thru this again - he does have a good setup but he keeps whinnig to us he needs more and u fortunately we just don't understand it - I believe he built his own computers and he's pretty good with that - he is also good with photography and video but our equipment limits his ability for this - its funny because the High Commander always finds ways to shut his WiFi down but he always manages to get around it and plug away - I think its funny watching the two silently go at it...lol /I plan to sit him down and talk with him and maybe help him organize thoughts and time management and maybe get him set up better with his own interest feed etc. - I'm gathering info and I have to talk to him when the High Commander is not around...lol this info you have shared will help with that conversation he's pretty intelligent and I need to kind of know a it or I will just lose him...

The motorbike project I'd healthy. Very hands on and might help. I sold alot of paintball stuff that was. basically endless money being thrown out and a waste as I got deeper into a mustang. At least a vehicle has more purpose, but then again any hobby serves the purpose of keeping someone busy and happy. If a hobby becomes detrimental to your well being, thats when it's time to reevaluate.

Wanted to add that at times gaming is an escape for some people... to dive into a different world / story. Important to differentiate between reality and the virtual world. So I say just have a word with him and as others have suggested, let him do most of the talking. Technology is a massive part of our lives (to a fault) and it is very strongly entwined. Taking away something someone likes without warning would possibly back fire.

PS...I laughed at the bit where you mentioned your wife and kid were turning the internet on and off in some sort of silent war. I was in a similar predicament. My solution:

I bought a USB wifi adapter and connected to a neighbor's wifi. The adapter lasted a year through every season before ultimately failing lol. I taped it to a pole outside my bedroom window [emoji1787].

Ghost Rider
07-18-2019, 03:26 PM
admittedly...I haven't read the entire thread but...

has he heard of porn? It's just as time consuming but...I change of pace from gaming all the time...dunno :D

hammerhead
07-18-2019, 04:16 PM
admittedly...I haven't read the entire thread but...

has he heard of porn? It's just as time consuming but...I change of pace from gaming all the time...dunno :D

Hahaha I don't think so but maybe he will be the next Dirk Diggler hahaha

hammerhead
07-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Today (Friday) started out good - my son had to come out of his hobbit and sit with me one on one in the car - just him and I on his 15min drive to work - I was able to touch base with him and always kept in mind that transforming from school life to work life is a big step and takes conditioning physically and mentally. - it was just baby steps but a good start - I'm sharing this because I real of appreciate everyone's input. Of my six children this one I could never really relate too and gaming seems to be the opportunity I've been waiting for. Turns out he is interested in a career in the field and was unaware of available work shop's as I was unaware of the opportunities available that may grow over time. I wont go into all the details but now that he's finished school the opportunity for me to help him is the perfect time free and away from all the others who have intervened thru authority and the school system (much of I disagree with but felt helpless). Gaming is the blessing in disguise and even if he doesn't end up with a career in the field its the opportunity I've been waiting for. Thanks again!

Ghost Rider
07-19-2019, 10:37 AM
nice dude...if you guys don't agree on certain things, a healthy relationship between each other can go a very long way in both being successful and happy!

1quikgt
07-19-2019, 10:50 AM
I read that the GTA is now number 3 in North America for tech jobs so he should have some good opportunities to find an internship and job if that’s the career path he chooses.

hammerhead
07-19-2019, 01:31 PM
nice dude...if you guys don't agree on certain things, a healthy relationship between each other can go a very long way in both being successful and happy!

Thankyou there's lots of work to do - there's a lot more to this and high school was tough for him - I've been waiting in the background for this op and I know it is not going to be easy

- - - Updated - - -

I read that the GTA is now number 3 in North America for tech jobs so he should have some good opportunities to find an internship and job if that’s the career path he chooses.

Thanks I never thought of intern

hammerhead
08-12-2019, 08:15 PM
My little hammerhead gamer has been doing pretty well going to work. He's full time at an automotive stamping plant. Last night he won 500.00 $ playing Fortnight and qualified for a 1.6 million $ tournament and booked three days off work to play - couldn't get too upset over that and actually quite excited for him - hope our Taco Bell internet (as he refers to it) will hold up for him...

newbiestangowner
08-12-2019, 08:21 PM
Congrats to your son! Well done young man! Balancing work with game time!

Ray721
08-30-2019, 04:35 AM
You can make huge money playing games if you’ve got talent, entertaining personality and a strong social media presence. Oh and a LOT of determination. Set up a stream on twitch. Get enough followers to make partner and then start getting subscribers and donations. Make YouTube videos of game highlights. Post clips and gear pics on Instagram and post on twitter to engage with a boarder fan base. You can have revenue stream coming from all those outlets.

When Shroud was at his peak he had over 100,000 subscribers at $5 a month each. Twitch takes half when you’re starting. It less when you
Get bigger. Even if he was getting $3 that’s $300,000 made in one month just to play a game. That’s doesn’t factor in the tens of thousands of dollars he gets in donations/tips. YouTube, Instagram and merchandise.

Gaming is a very legitimate source of income these days. On average you need 1200-1500 steady subs to justify streaming full time. That’s when the growth really starts happening.

hammerhead
08-30-2019, 06:19 AM
You can make huge money playing games if you’ve got talent, entertaining personality and a strong social media presence. Oh and a LOT of determination. Set up a stream on twitch. Get enough followers to make partner and then start getting subscribers and donations. Make YouTube videos of game highlights. Post clips and gear pics on Instagram and post on twitter to engage with a boarder fan base. You can have revenue stream coming from all those outlets.

When Shroud was at his peak he had over 100,000 subscribers at $5 a month each. Twitch takes half when you’re starting. It less when you
Get bigger. Even if he was getting $3 that’s $300,000 made in one month just to play a game. That’s doesn’t factor in the tens of thousands of dollars he gets in donations/tips. YouTube, Instagram and merchandise.

Gaming is a very legitimate source of income these days. On average you need 1200-1500 steady subs to justify streaming full time. That’s when the growth really starts happening.

Wow - I grew up playing the Kiss pinball machine lol - thanks for all that info I'm going to ask him if he does that already

hammerhead
10-16-2019, 09:28 AM
super excited for my gamer - he's going to Toronto on the Saturday to play in a Forte Night tournament for $40,000 - his first away game and zero ping he says (whatever that is?). I think he's pretty excited and the whole setup sounds amazing. I want to go watch but don't want to make him nervous - think I will sit this one out and let him and his buddy have some peace. If the opportunity arises again I will fore sure catch that one. Sounds like an amazing experience very happy for him!!!!

hammerhead
04-05-2021, 08:12 AM
My gamer started a new job today...pretty happy about that - it's amazing the influence of a woman, maybe lockdown, and the need for more...next step working on the drivers license!

Harbinger
04-05-2021, 08:18 AM
My gamer started a new job today...pretty happy about that - it's amazing the influence of a woman, maybe lockdown, and the need for more...next step working on the drivers license!Excellent! I wish when I turned 16 way back that I had multiple goals like finding a good job, drivers license, owning a car etc. Its good to find your calling from an early age.