PDA

View Full Version : Hood function

Zutz2v
07-19-2019, 09:29 AM
I feel my 03 GT runs hot. Not overheating just hot. I was thinking to switch the hood from the original to a cobra hood for more air. Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponyryd
07-19-2019, 10:32 AM
For the most part your engine temp is regulated by the pcm, so even with the hood off it will likely stay at the same temp, or close to it. This is assuming there isn’t a mechanical issue causing it to run hot of course. Also assuming you’re driving normally and not racing, because if you are then yes a cobra hood will provide more cooling.
Also, Cobra hood requires the hood or bumper horns to be modified/filled to fit properly.

RedSN
07-19-2019, 10:42 AM
I feel my 03 GT runs hot.
What are you basing that feeling on? The stock dash gauge?
What actual temperature is it running at?

Zutz2v
07-19-2019, 03:17 PM
What are you basing that feeling on? The stock dash gauge?
What actual temperature is it running at?

Temp is fine. I just feel the car is hot. You’d have to sit in it to see what I mean. But essentially because I’m running a supercharger I thought it might be a good idea to get the engine more air

Laffs
07-19-2019, 08:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/C6NNf0V.jpg

ZR
07-19-2019, 09:25 PM
When chasing running hot / sporadic overheating with my own car, even tried pulling the hood and doing a few laps, made no appreciable difference. In the end, oil cooler is an '04 Cobras best friend. No matter the temps, car stays cool no matter how many laps and how hard it's run.

Laffs
07-20-2019, 08:32 AM
FYI, if you put an 03/04 Cobra hood on with a GT bumper there will be a gap. The cobra bumper is taller than the GT.

bbriann
07-20-2019, 09:53 PM
As matter I just did mine last weekend...I can post some photos on my build next couple days. 6x8 inch open in centre scoop, drilled out plastic grill , reinforced the tabs with epoxy and install 2 more fasteners that currently unused. Put mouldings around open ing under hood....looks factory and removed cowl seal let sit out.

maxwell6
07-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Are you running stock single core rad. I ask because I also run hot .The temp cycles when moving but when in traffic it creeps. I am in the process of installing bigger rad and high flow water pump.I am also supercharged.

Laffs
07-22-2019, 08:42 AM
Stock cooling system. Car started to get hot during a cruise actually for first time ever Saturday. Attributed it to the 96* heat but may have to monitor.

maxwell6
07-22-2019, 08:48 AM
I will up date you on my results with the new 2 core rad and high flow water pump installed.

bbriann
07-22-2019, 08:57 AM
I have mishimoto radians eldelbrock water pump 170 high flow, fan 180 and 186 on high cant run air conditioning on high on 30 degree days. I going try oil cooler...

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 08:59 AM
Are you running stock single core rad. I ask because I also run hot .The temp cycles when moving but when in traffic it creeps. I am in the process of installing bigger rad and high flow water pump.I am also supercharged.

I’m running stock rad with intercooler

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 10:55 AM
I will up date you on my results with the new 2 core rad and high flow water pump installed.

The thing is I’m not over heating I just feel like the cars running hot. When I’m cruising and my right leg is resting on the center counsel I feel it’s hot. I just figured maybe better air flow

Laffs
07-22-2019, 10:57 AM
The thing is I’m not over heating I just feel like the cars running hot. When I’m cruising and my right leg is resting on the center counsel I feel it’s hot. I just figured maybe better air flow

Pretty common. Especially when you're lowered it really traps heat in the tunnel. I used sound/heat deadening mat and insulation on mine. Helped a bit.

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Pretty common. Especially when you're lowered it really traps heat in the tunnel. I used sound/heat deadening mat and insulation on mine. Helped a bit.

But will it hurt the car ?

Laffs
07-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Mines been like that for 30,000+ kms. Seems to be fine.

RedSN
07-22-2019, 11:11 AM
When I’m cruising and my right leg is resting on the center counsel I feel it’s hot.
There's 2 hot cats right there.

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 11:24 AM
There's 2 hot cats right there.

Right where my leg is ?

maxwell6
07-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Ok I know what you meen I have also noticed that more so on hot days, thought the heater was on. Think it might be coming from the transmission. Feel the locking nut under the shift ball and see if it gets hot.

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Ok I know what you meen I have also noticed that more so on hot days, thought the heater was on. Think it might be coming from the transmission. Feel the locking nut under the shift ball and see if it gets hot.

If it does then what would that indicate ?

Ponyryd
07-22-2019, 02:51 PM
It indicates nothing more than that your car is running.
A hot trans tunnel is totally normal and has nothing to do with engine temp, a new hood or no hood will not change this. As stated there are two cats there if you have a stock cat pipe, if you’re running aftermarket you will still have two hot downpipes there. And yes, with lowered cars there is more heat due to less airflow in that area. You could try some heat barrier, it will help some but there’s not much else you can do-exhaust gets hottest at the front.

Laffs
07-22-2019, 02:53 PM
I combat mine by running air conditioning

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 03:22 PM
I combat mine by running air conditioning

Boss!

Laffs
07-22-2019, 03:31 PM
In all seriousness. Not sure if I'm lucky or what but never had a major issue with heat (knock on wood). Even driving to North Carolina and back and getting stuck in bumper to bumper Ohio traffic with AC on in 90* heat and humidity it was fine on coolant temp.

Car's emanated heat from trans tunnel since I got it stock in 2007, got worse when I slammed it, always just attributed it to trapped exhaust and trans heat.

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 07:59 PM
In all seriousness. Not sure if I'm lucky or what but never had a major issue with heat (knock on wood). Even driving to North Carolina and back and getting stuck in bumper to bumper Ohio traffic with AC on in 90* heat and humidity it was fine on coolant temp.

Car's emanated heat from trans tunnel since I got it stock in 2007, got worse when I slammed it, always just attributed it to trapped exhaust and trans heat.

I need to see more picks of your car. And from a previous post of mine, I want to know what cams you’d recommend ??

Laffs
07-22-2019, 08:10 PM
Comp 262AH if you want something off the shelf with minimal installation headache. If you want more power you're look at modular head shop or cushman blower cams. I have no experience with install or with them but I know they're popular on forums

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-30504964-mhs-gen-2-4-6l-5-4l-2v-pi-stage-1-blower-nitrous-camshafts.html?ref=category:1396772

As for pics, I'm @laffs23 on instagram if you have that.

Zutz2v
07-22-2019, 08:59 PM
Comp 262AH if you want something off the shelf with minimal installation headache. If you want more power you're look at modular head shop or cushman blower cams. I have no experience with install or with them but I know they're popular on forums

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-30504964-mhs-gen-2-4-6l-5-4l-2v-pi-stage-1-blower-nitrous-camshafts.html?ref=category:1396772

As for pics, I'm @laffs23 on instagram if you have that.

I wouldn’t install it my self. More power is always awesome but I still want that lumpy sound

FABMAN
08-30-2019, 11:14 PM
As a side note, Cervini makes a 03/04 Cobra hood with the proper GT leading nose so no modification of your bumper is required. It even comes with OEM Cobra air extractor grills. Nice piece with finished underside.