PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coatings: opinions?

Quicksilver
08-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Looking to get my new(to me) F-type ceramic coated. The paint on the car is absolutely spectacular, and in my opinion close to show quality. I am seriously thinking of going with a ceramic coating to preserve this finish. It's ridiculously expensive though so I am looking for opinions from those who have had it done?

Screw
08-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Toxix !! Hands down , did the 350 like glass !!
Family member took a vehicle somewhere else based on price got what they paid for ...I could of waxed it better
It’s not that ridiculously expensive like a jag :D ,every time I used to walk into CDN Tire I’d come out with over a $100 bux of average products .

Quicksilver
08-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Family member took a vehicle somewhere else based on price got what they paid for ...I could of waxed it better
It’s not that ridiculously expensive like a jag :D ,every time I used to walk into CDN Tire I’d come out with over a $100 bux of average products .

The only reason not to go to Toxix if I decide to do it is distance. As I understand it he's based in Mississauga and I'm in Newmarket.
The Jag was ridiculously expensive when new, but mine was used, so I effectively paid about the same as the 2020 Mustang I almost ordered.

Screw
08-06-2019, 11:39 AM
Ok don’t say I didn’t tell you , another 1/2hr is worth it ! Sooo many pop up ceramic guys now you might be just another car that they are practicing on ! No thanks I thinks he’s got a good number of vehicles under his belt by now to the point where he is mastering his technique not acquiring it . Good luck

The Newmare
08-06-2019, 12:08 PM

I agree....coming from a guy with no garage ,after it rains most of the dirt rolls off the car.

Mustang4
08-06-2019, 12:53 PM
I have ceramic coating on my 2018 Mustang GT and love it. Deepens colour and is a breeze to clean off bugs or bird crap, just wet with water and wipe. Rain rolls right off.
Very easy to clean.

Recommend you get your wheels done as well, makes cleaning them so easy and they tend to stay cleaner longer.

Quicksilver
08-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Ok don’t say I didn’t tell you , another 1/2hr is worth it ! Sooo many pop up ceramic guys now you might be just another car that they are practicing on ! No thanks I thinks he’s got a good number of vehicles under his belt by now to the point where he is mastering his technique not acquiring it . Good luck

Absolutely not arguing about whether Toxix is worth it. I just wanted to see what people thought of the whole idea and whether it was worth spending the money.

Gr8Stang
08-06-2019, 02:26 PM
I haven't done a ceramic coating, but since its a reasonably new product?, wondered what happens after its worn off and how you go about restoring the shine again? Do you have to use any special remover prior to re-coating? From what I've seen/read it appears to be a much harder coating then standard polishes/sealants.....so supposed to last longer, which is good, but when the time comes to re-do.....what's involved?

With a standard compound/polish/sealant approach, when it has run its course/lost its lustre/defects returned, you simply wash the car, use Iron X (or similar), clay bar and then do compound (if needed), polish and seal or wax it again.

Scrape
08-06-2019, 03:26 PM
If a ceramic coating requires removal you would follow through the same processes as paint correction. The use of a compound will remove the coating. Claying will definitely reduce the life of any ceramic coating so if the car is coated it is NOT recommended. A product like IRON X would be fine for the purpose of removing embedded fallout and won't harm the coating.
Attached is a photo of a truck that I ceramic coated last year and was in for maintenance work. Iron X applied and a coating of SiO2 was added for added durability and longevity. My M2 is also done without any issues.

I haven't done a ceramic coating, but since its a reasonably new product?, wondered what happens after its worn off and how you go about restoring the shine again? Do you have to use any special remover prior to re-coating? From what I've seen/read it appears to be a much harder coating then standard polishes/sealants.....so supposed to last longer, which is good, but when the time comes to re-do.....what's involved?

With a standard compound/polish/sealant approach, when it has run its course/lost its lustre/defects returned, you simply wash the car, use Iron X (or similar), clay bar and then do compound (if needed), polish and seal or wax it again.

Ger
09-05-2019, 08:55 PM
You may want to try Uber Shine in Newmarket.

redo75
09-07-2019, 09:34 PM
Princess Auto has Meguiar's Ceramic wax in a bottle oon sale this week. Strange that a new product is being dumped so quickly aftre being released only in the US. Wasn't sold here in Canada by the regular sellers.