PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank pressure sensor troubles, warranty refused by Ford dealer

F1Fan
08-23-2019, 07:49 PM
Hi people. So my check engine light came on on my 2019 GT. Dealer ran the codes and told me it’s the fuel tank pressure sensor. They claim that the application of Krown rust preventative has gummed up the sensor. $800 to replace it. “Sorry, no warranty on it because the Krown stuff damaged the sensor”. When I bought the car 4 months ago the finance guy asked if I wanted their rust proofing and I declined, stating I will be going to Krown. The guy said “no problem, that’s fine.”

The service advisor asked which Krown location I went to, because “Krown knows not to spray in the area of the sensor as it is a known issue and Ford has seen this before.” I told him which location it was and that I would never use Krown again. He said, “oh no, Krown is good. Keep using it but go to xxxxx location instead as they know, and this is where we send our customers.” He even went further to tell me he has had is own car sprayed there for 6 years running with no issue.

So the finance guy and the service advisor both advocate using Krown, but then when the sensor fails they wash their hands of it. WTF? How can they tell me to keep using it. And when another sensor fails they will play the same card?

I have called Ford Canada and they won’t do anything for me. That person even apologized for the dealers poor handling of it from day one and that they should not have said it’s fine to use, and now to even suggest I go to a different Krown location. But sorry, no. We won’t cover it under warranty.

I’m waiting to hear back from the Krown corporate office but I’m sure I know what they will say.

I told Ford that I can not accept that two of their staff knew I would use Krown and in fact did say, and continue to say that Krown is fine to use but then will not honour a warranty claim when the sensor fails because of the application of the product. That’s like...here, drop this rock on your hood, it’s fine! Oh, did it damage the paint? Sorry, your on your own. I mean really?

I am simply gutted. Has anyone heard of this issue before? I’m really pissed off about this and I don’t know what to do.

Not sure if this is in the correct forum, please feel free to move it if needed

ZR
08-23-2019, 08:36 PM
Similar experience with Krown causing an issue with the plastic housing of the fuel pump module on my previous GM truck. Krown blew me off denying any possible issue with their product.
They also refused to look after product has damaged every door rubber on my wifes car (well known issue).
I've since switched over to Corrosion Free.

bbriann
08-23-2019, 09:18 PM
And in end after paying 800 it maybe not the sensor...no guarantees. My Ford fusion AWD weak motor mounts brought in knock sensor which in turn computer brought in tank pressure sensor...changed motor mounts after charging a bunch stuff..code stays clear now....

F1Fan
08-24-2019, 09:36 AM
Thanks guys. I’m curious, were your issues apparent after only one Krown application or several. I’m wondering what my odds are for further trouble if I stop with Krown now after only the one time.
I’m sure it is all luck of the draw also. I mean, Krown is a CAA recommend product, one of the highest rated rust protection products out there right now. I’m sure many many people have had no issues.

On the other hand there is a lot of evidence that it may not even be needed anymore. Rust proofing to a great deal was born out of a period in the 70’s when new cars would rust as you drove them off the dealers lot. I believe that in most cases, cars are being built better right now. My 11 year old Hyundai Sonata has never been treated and just now there is a bit of discolouration starting.

More to the warranty refusal issue. Is there anyone else out there who has had this happen? And what course of action did you take? Results? I’m wondering if BBB or some of the better known consumer advocacy groups might be of any use.
Right now I’m leaning towards just paying up as I can’t stand knowing there is a faulty anything on my 4 month old car, and going after a reimbursement or credit of some sort.

Both the service advisor and the tech who worked on my car suggested to keep driving it for a few weeks. They say that sometimes the sensor will dry out and work fine again. They say they have personally seen this. Their claim is that even though Krown is oil based, it will still evaporate over time, hence the need for yearly reapplication. And yes, I had the service advisor sign off saying it’s safe to drive the car with a faulty sensor. Everything in writing from now on.

hammerhead
08-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Thanks guys. I’m curious, were your issues apparent after only one Krown application or several. I’m wondering what my odds are for further trouble if I stop with Krown now after only the one time.
I’m sure it is all luck of the draw also. I mean, Krown is a CAA recommend product, one of the highest rated rust protection products out there right now. I’m sure many many people have had no issues.

On the other hand there is a lot of evidence that it may not even be needed anymore. Rust proofing to a great deal was born out of a period in the 70’s when new cars would rust as you drove them off the dealers lot. I believe that in most cases, cars are being built better right now. My 11 year old Hyundai Sonata has never been treated and just now there is a bit of discolouration starting.

More to the warranty refusal issue. Is there anyone else out there who has had this happen? And what course of action did you take? Results? I’m wondering if BBB or some of the better known consumer advocacy groups might be of any use.
Right now I’m leaning towards just paying up as I can’t stand knowing there is a faulty anything on my 4 month old car, and going after a reimbursement or credit of some sort.

Both the service advisor and the tech who worked on my car suggested to keep driving it for a few weeks. They say that sometimes the sensor will dry out and work fine again. They say they have personally seen this. Their claim is that even though Krown is oil based, it will still evaporate over time, hence the need for yearly reapplication. And yes, I had the service advisor sign off saying it’s safe to drive the car with a faulty sensor. Everything in writing from now on.

Do you have a code reader? and did you see the actual code on the reader? - I tripped a code in my 2018 a "misfire code" simple fix was to clear it - maybe get a reader or find a friend with one

RedSN
08-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Wonder if my car shouldn’t have a fuel tank pressure sensor?

F1Fan
08-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Thanks hammerhead. What’s a reliable code reader and where do I get one?
And can the dealership detect if I have used one prior to a visit? Let’s say I get a CE light for something stupid or the same one I’ve had for the fuel tank pressure sensor and I clear it. Is there a on-board record of it being looked at and reset?

hammerhead
08-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Thanks hammerhead. What’s a reliable code reader and where do I get one?
And can the dealership detect if I have used one prior to a visit? Let’s say I get a CE light for something stupid or the same one I’ve had for the fuel tank pressure sensor and I clear it. Is there a on-board record of it being looked at and reset?

I have to double check what mine is I don't use it often I picked it up on amazon for around s350.00 and it reads all makes - I would think the computer stores all information but I'm not 100 percent sure - I will get back to on the one I have but hold tight someone else will chime in...

Edit also Krown does disipate over time

hammerhead
08-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Theres also code readers that are inexpensive to purchase and use and app on a cell phone - I've used these before and they are pretty slick

hammerhead
08-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Wonder if my car shouldn’t have a fuel tank pressure sensor?

you getting codes?

ZR
08-24-2019, 04:53 PM
With the nonsense being sprayed on our winter roads these days, rust proofing is needed more than ever.

Spock
08-24-2019, 05:28 PM
I've never seen a fuel tank pressure sensor fail other than rust proof contamination

F1Fan
08-24-2019, 06:39 PM
I've never seen a fuel tank pressure sensor fail other than rust proof contamination

Hey Spock, where were you when I went to Krown?
Live long and prosper!

Gr8Stang
08-26-2019, 11:55 AM
When I purchased my 13 Lincoln MKX and the dealer mentioned their rust proof pkg., I said thanks, but I'm going with Krown, at which point they warned that Krown applications have been known to cause sensor problems. I had my previous 89 Taurus SHO sprayed with Krown and never had an issue. I've now had two applications of Krown on the Lincoln with no ill affect and also my 08 Focus. They've been in business for a long time, so seems like most people don't have a problem with them. Would be interested to hear the science behind why an oil penetrant causes sensors to fail? Creates a short circuit?

Sorry to hear about your trouble....

F1Fan
08-26-2019, 05:14 PM
Yes, it changes the voltage reading of the sensor. But still, a highly rated product which even the CAA recommends. I just don’t get it. The service advisor even suggests I continue using it because it’s a good product. Go figure.
The CE light has not come back on yet so I’m really hoping I am one of the lucky ones the tech was talking about. He claims that sometimes the sensor will come back.

ZR
08-26-2019, 06:01 PM
When I purchased my 13 Lincoln MKX and the dealer mentioned their rust proof pkg., I said thanks, but I'm going with Krown, at which point they warned that Krown applications have been known to cause sensor problems. I had my previous 89 Taurus SHO sprayed with Krown and never had an issue. I've now had two applications of Krown on the Lincoln with no ill affect and also my 08 Focus. They've been in business for a long time, so seems like most people don't have a problem with them. Would be interested to hear the science behind why an oil penetrant causes sensors to fail? Creates a short circuit?

Sorry to hear about your trouble....

In my case, pump module is made of plastic with four terminals on the top, two for fuel pump and two for gas gauge. At approx two years gas gauge would randomly go berserk reading pretty much anything it felt like or nothing at all followed by truck would sometimes lightly sputter or even feel like it was about to quit then might do it again shortly there after or perhaps not for weeks. At one point it had gone several weeks with no hesitation, meanwhile gauge was to the point it seldom worked. Sender failing is a common GM problem, ordered one and pulled the box off to install. With new one in and box still off, fired up the truck, gauge worked like a rock star so box back on and headed out to lunch. All well n good but as we turned into Big Boys, be dammed if the gauge didn't drop to zero and stay there and truck hesitated hard. Pulled the box back off n traced every wire checking for damage, nothing. Module back out and test sensor, works as it should, test old one, yes it works fine as well. Drop back in the tank n hook up, no gauge n truck hard to start. Tired of wiping the Krown off my hands, took a can of brake cleans to the module before pulling out again, test pump, it's fine, test sender, same. Drop module back in, truck fires up no problem and gauge is now working. Since all four wires are the same plug and vehicle side of the harness is full of Krown, test to see if the combo of Krown n dirt is conductive with my meter, yes it most certainly is. Ok so we've found the problem, wash the plug out with brake cleans, rewash outside of the module and drop it back in. Gauge works, truck runs, box back on again. For the next couple of weeks, no problem, gotta be out of the woods when right out of the blue, truck hesitates n gauge goes to zero at the same time. Yes box back off and test before pulling the module, it's a rainy day and top of the tank is moist, meter confirms even with Krown washed off top of the module is conductive. It would appear Krown has been at least partially absorbed into the plaster and it spite of looking squeaky clean when moist conducts between terminals. Ok so off to GM n buy a new module, in it goes and truck runs like a rock star. Contact Krown, flat out told there is no way possible it could happen, must have been sprayed with something else before I puchased (trk was 18 months old when I purchased). Again, ok must be a total fluke because Krown are the experts on what can and can not happen with their products right................wrong!! Continued with Krown and just under two years later right out of the blue truck hesitated and gauge went to zero, yes the scenario they claimed as being impossible had happened again. Pulled the box, washed the hell outta the top of the module and inside plug, box back on, gauge worked most of the time. Disclosed to the dealer I traded it into a short time later that gauge has an intermittent problem and called it a day, worked when he drove it so could have cared less.
In the GM truck forums, sender failure is extremely common and most of the time replacing it see's the gauge work as it should but there is a small number who have either paid the dealer or replaced themselves n never see the gauge work properly.
Further, every single door rubber on my wifes car is either sagging or fallen off. Krown claims they've protected them with a spray on material prior to applying their rust proofing so it has to be something else that ate the rubbers.
Since purchasing the Ram, has switched over to Corrosion Free. Only been on coming up a yr now, fingers crossed it protects as stated and doesn't cause spin off damage.

Gr8Stang
08-26-2019, 08:10 PM
In my case, pump module is made of plastic with four terminals on the top, two for fuel pump and two for gas gauge. At approx two years gas gauge would randomly go berserk reading pretty much anything it felt like or nothing at all followed by truck would sometimes lightly sputter or even feel like it was about to quit then might do it again shortly there after or perhaps not for weeks. At one point it had gone several weeks with no hesitation, meanwhile gauge was to the point it seldom worked. Sender failing is a common GM problem, ordered one and pulled the box off to install. With new one in and box still off, fired up the truck, gauge worked like a rock star so box back on and headed out to lunch. All well n good but as we turned into Big Boys, be dammed if the gauge didn't drop to zero and stay there and truck hesitated hard. Pulled the box back off n traced every wire checking for damage, nothing. Module back out and test sensor, works as it should, test old one, yes it works fine as well. Drop back in the tank n hook up, no gauge n truck hard to start. Tired of wiping the Krown off my hands, took a can of brake cleans to the module before pulling out again, test pump, it's fine, test sender, same. Drop module back in, truck fires up no problem and gauge is now working. Since all four wires are the same plug and vehicle side of the harness is full of Krown, test to see if the combo of Krown n dirt is conductive with my meter, yes it most certainly is. Ok so we've found the problem, wash the plug out with brake cleans, rewash outside of the module and drop it back in. Gauge works, truck runs, box back on again. For the next couple of weeks, no problem, gotta be out of the woods when right out of the blue, truck hesitates n gauge goes to zero at the same time. Yes box back off and test before pulling the module, it's a rainy day and top of the tank is moist, meter confirms even with Krown washed off top of the module is conductive. It would appear Krown has been at least partially absorbed into the plaster and it spite of looking squeaky clean when moist conducts between terminals. Ok so off to GM n buy a new module, in it goes and truck runs like a rock star. Contact Krown, flat out told there is no way possible it could happen, must have been sprayed with something else before I puchased (trk was 18 months old when I purchased). Again, ok must be a total fluke because Krown are the experts on what can and can not happen with their products right................wrong!! Continued with Krown and just under two years later right out of the blue truck hesitated and gauge went to zero, yes the scenario they claimed as being impossible had happened again. Pulled the box, washed the hell outta the top of the module and inside plug, box back on, gauge worked most of the time. Disclosed to the dealer I traded it into a short time later that gauge has an intermittent problem and called it a day, worked when he drove it so could have cared less.
In the GM truck forums, sender failure is extremely common and most of the time replacing it see's the gauge work as it should but there is a small number who have either paid the dealer or replaced themselves n never see the gauge work properly.
Further, every single door rubber on my wifes car is either sagging or fallen off. Krown claims they've protected them with a spray on material prior to applying their rust proofing so it has to be something else that ate the rubbers.
Since purchasing the Ram, has switched over to Corrosion Free. Only been on coming up a yr now, fingers crossed it protects as stated and doesn't cause spin off damage.

Wow....I think that would send me to the looney bin. Just when you thought things were fixed....they weren't. Nothing more annoying. Keep us posted on how the Corrosion Free works out. Anyone that wants to hang onto a vehicle up here in Saltville has no choice but to either get their car sprayed or....watch it rust. Not sure which is worse after reading your post!

ZR
08-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Exactly that, spray it or watch it disintegrate.

F1Fan
08-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Well my 2007 Hyundai Sonata has never been sprayed. Just now it’s showing some rust (on the outside at least) so I’m thinking I’ll take my chances and stop the rust preventative.
I had a 1989 Mustang 5.0. Sprayed it twice. When the rust spot came up on the A pillar they told me it was a factory defect, moisture trapped under the paint when it was built, and wouldn’t touch it. So much for a warranty that time also. I’m starting to really think warranty’s are a huge ripoff!

F1Fan
08-28-2019, 09:20 PM
CE light came on again. I guess it’s not going to dry out like Ford suggested it might. And I find out that Ford USA has the sensor on back order, 2-3 weeks....maybe!
Called Krown head office today. Doesn’t look good from that end either. I guess no one has the balls to stand behind their product anymore. This world is going to hell.

Screw
08-28-2019, 09:51 PM
^^that sucks I almost had them replace my weather stripping but I let it slide .

ZR
08-28-2019, 11:04 PM
CE light came on again. I guess it’s not going to dry out like Ford suggested it might. And I find out that Ford USA has the sensor on back order, 2-3 weeks....maybe!
Called Krown head office today. Doesn’t look good from that end either. I guess no one has the balls to stand behind their product anymore. This world is going to hell.

Actually might be more prone to drying out when the weather gets cooler and the Krown slows down creeping.

F1Fan
08-31-2019, 05:43 PM
So today I saw that the check engine light went off again. I don’t know what to make of this. Is it trying to “dry out” and function normally again, or is it just going to work, not work, work, not work, until I get sick of it and pay up for a new one.
I think I’ll wait until the back ordered sensor comes in, and if the light is still out, let Ford check it out manually if at all possible.

LX89
09-01-2019, 12:34 AM
Off topic,but why is a fuel tank pressure sensor needed?

I haven't heard of a sensor like that.

F1Fan
09-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Off topic,but why is a fuel tank pressure sensor needed?

I haven't heard of a sensor like that.

It’s there to monitor how much Krown rust prevention product is or ISN’T sprayed on your car. It’s also known as a FFSSG, or “faulty Ford sensor scape goat”

ZR
09-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Part of the EVAP system. Other mfgs see same issue from either vehicle oil or accumulation of crud from use on dusty roads.

F1Fan
09-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Part of the EVAP system. Other mfgs see same issue from either vehicle oil or accumulation of crud from use on dusty roads.

Interesting point ZR, and one I put forward to the service advisor. Who says I didn’t drive over something which splashed up onto the bottom of my car? I’ve seen the car up on a hoist three times now and even have my own picture of the sensor. It looks and did look, dry as the proverbial bone.
I’m going to fumble around and see if I can put the picture up here.

ZR
09-01-2019, 09:27 AM
From what can be seen in the pic, little to no oil in that area.

F1Fan
09-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Right? The whole area looks dry even this area......

ZR
09-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Application of Krown looks pretty poor but that should be your saving grace with Ford re: sensor damaged.

F1Fan
09-12-2019, 06:39 PM
So, an update.
My check engine light went out two weeks ago. So either the check engine light burnt out, which I doubt, or am I actually lucky and the sensor has dried out and is working properly once again. I don’t know what to make of it.

Old Fart
09-12-2019, 07:43 PM
The check engine light comes on at each startup. Good way to check.

F1Fan
10-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Done with it! After the light came on (and off again) I gave up and let the dealership install a new sensor. They gave me a real deal on the bill which was nice, but still....I found the whole thing uncool

G-ForceJunkie
10-08-2019, 05:19 PM
2014 Mustang, krowned every year since new. Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor lasted less than 4 years. Wrapped the new one in rags. It must be wet damn near all the time, but so far so good. (Replacement was $300 at Ford...not warrantied)

F1Fan
10-08-2019, 09:01 PM
So it seems like Ford might be right about Krown. I guess I don’t rust check anymore. Oh well, it won’t see any salt or snow.