View Full Version : Looking for help/info on shipping a fox across the border that isn't $$$$

Nate_V8
08-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Hey everyone, just joined up here, i was an old member of gtamc but stopped posting as i sold my last fox years ago but now its stang shop and looks to be pretty dead.

Was looking for some help or info on the best cost efficient way of getting a car across the us border. Its 1400km away, not driveable currently or else i would just drive myself.

I contacted the big 3 moving companies (mvl, lhf, fidelity) and cheapest was 3100 CAD. Which is too expensive for the distance i feel. Im just checking to see if anyone here has a better hookup for shipping or knowledge on how to make this cheaper. Maybe shipping to a border and then i get a truck and dolley and pick it up at the border or something. I don't know. I'm open to anything cheaper than 3100

Hope i can get some help :)

Thanks

hammerhead
08-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Hey everyone, just joined up here, i was an old member of gtamc but stopped posting as i sold my last fox years ago but now its stang shop and looks to be pretty dead.

Was looking for some help or info on the best cost efficient way of getting a car across the us border. Its 1400km away, not driveable currently or else i would just drive myself.

I contacted the big 3 moving companies (mvl, lhf, fidelity) and cheapest was 3100 CAD. Which is too expensive for the distance i feel. Im just checking to see if anyone here has a better hookup for shipping or knowledge on how to make this cheaper. Maybe shipping to a border and then i get a truck and dolley and pick it up at the border or something. I don't know. I'm open to anything cheaper than 3100

Hope i can get some help :)

Thanks

Lou at Barone may have some good advice - club sponsor here - there's also a car hauler out of TO called TFX International they go back and forth over the border mainly hauling cars...

Oh and welcome...lol

ZR
08-30-2019, 02:45 PM
Rent U Haul truck n car trailer n bring back yourself.

MUSTANGWOP
08-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Welcome, I remember your user name from the other board.
As Hammer said, try TFX International. I used them to ship a car and extra parts form Indiana to Toronto 10 years ago and cost was almost a 3rd of what you got quoted.

Nate_V8
08-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Wow that is a good price. I will try them and see what they say.

Well Renting a u haul truck and trailer one way is $1400 CAD plus the $280 flight, gas...etc and border stuff. It is cheaper and possibly an option but I don't have the time frame to drive there and back. I can fly down drive back at best for time frame. driving a u haul there would be more money in gas than a flight down.

Nate_V8
08-30-2019, 04:00 PM
I just looked up the distance from indiana to toronto and it is half the distance of my quote but even if the prices doubles, 2/3 the price of 3100 it is worth considering as it saves me time and unexpected headaches and they deal with all the border fees. Waiting for a quote now from TFX

Laffs
08-30-2019, 04:12 PM
Was that $3100 inclusive of handling RIV and Import paperwork or purely shipping? I paid $750 in brokerage recently to import a truck just to have the broker do the new documentation that's needed on both sides of border plus pre-clear it for RIV. Also if vehicle is inoperative that's usually a pretty big up-charge as well since it adds a bunch of time to the drivers day that they can be on road having to winch a car on and off.

Other option is have them bring it across and clear customs then pick it up at a port of entry (Windsor/Sarnia) then rent a uhaul combo one way from that destination to bring it home.

Ponyryd
08-30-2019, 10:24 PM
Buddy of mine used Hansen’s and was pretty happy with their pricing. You could also try uship.com, I just did a quick rough quote there and it was under $900, here’s the link https://www.uship.com/ship/vehicles/cars-light-trucks/pricing/hWPWaq08u5t59zPMa0DFHY01ILuduQWJhankjaWUTJGnYqwE2v 7J4LYzGygK4vjr

Nate_V8
08-31-2019, 04:01 PM
I have to wait until next week for tfx to get back to me, I'll try pricing to just over the border.

Yes the 3100 CAD quote was everything handled at the border. MVS didn't care if it was running or not where as another company dropped a full 1000USD of the shipping quote if it was running and driveable but was still too expensive running or not. Maybe I'll try shipping to toronto to a friend and then I'll figure it out from there. If I can get it to my door for 2000~ CAD all in I'd be happy.

Nate_V8
08-31-2019, 04:03 PM
I'll take a look at Uship

Nate_V8
09-03-2019, 05:56 PM
TFX is the winner, just need to talk to the owner now.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll be the owner of a BAB 85 GT soon.

Laffs
09-03-2019, 07:12 PM
TFX is the winner, just need to talk to the owner now.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I'll be the owner of a BAB 85 GT soon.

You buying EscoGTs car?

Nate_V8
09-04-2019, 02:28 AM
You buying EscoGTs car?

I don't know, found it on fb marketplace, no handles on there that I saw, what forum are you talking about?

Laffs
09-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Four Eyed Pride

BAB CObra
09-04-2019, 09:49 AM
if its 15 years or older its only a 150$ to import the car in.

Nate_V8
09-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Four Eyed Pride

Nope, not the same car, as far as I know he isn't part of FEP

JOHN 86GT
01-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Hi

I will be moving to the Ottawa area from the states .

Right now my car has zero emissions equipment on it . I was hoping to possibly do a coyote swap with converters etc before the move .. but do to funds that won't happen right now .

If I were to import it and it was not in running condition.. , how long would I have to get it registered ? Does that change anything vers having a running car ?

The car has a 331 with hellion turbo kit custom cam etc. I had emailed DaSilva Racing about it and he said " just bring it" but I think if I tried to drive it across the border, . I'd have a problem . ( and maybe fewer days to get it registered ? )

Also even though I have been bending the rules running without cats etc for 24 years , I plan on running cats in the future .

Thanks for any help !

Laffs
01-08-2020, 06:02 PM
Ontario repealed the drive clean last year. You're vehicle wouldn't be subject to an emissions test in order to be registered. You could however run in to issues with roadside inspection if you have removed factory emissions equipment but it shouldn't hinder you from importing and registering.

JOHN 86GT
01-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Ontario repealed the drive clean last year. You're vehicle wouldn't be subject to an emissions test in order to be registered. You could however run in to issues with roadside inspection if you have removed factory emissions equipment but it shouldn't hinder you from importing and registering.

If I had it imported , do you know if there is a set amount of time to get it registered or could it sit in storage until funds allow it to be emissions friendly ? Or do you know who to contact to find out .

If I tried to run current engine combination , how strict are they on visual inspections ?

If I installed a converter it would only have one ( single turbo / single exhaust )

The pro m efi doesn’t use a EGR valve so would have to get a different intake but EGR would only be for show .

I’d have to install a smog pump .

The wastegate go’s to atmosphere, would be hard to run back to exhaust with the stock k member.

Thanks !

Laffs
01-09-2020, 12:42 AM
How strict is who? None of those things you mentioned would likely inhibit the import process, however not getting tickets from MOE on the road are another story. You'd have to contact the Ministry of Environment to confirm but my understanding is you have to have the level of emissions equipment that was oem. If you had 1 cat stock you only need one, if you had 2 need 2. If you had an EGR valve stock you need EGR. As per strictness its officers discretion really but if your setup looks hog ass wild they will likely dig and for any missing equipment there's a fine.

You have 45 days from day it crosses border to complete import process. For a vehicle over 15 years old that's literally just pay import fees at border, get your forms, go get a provincial safety inspection, bring it all to MTO aka the DMV and register.

JOHN 86GT
01-09-2020, 06:45 AM
You have 45 days from day it crosses border to complete import process. For a vehicle over 15 years old that's literally just pay import fees at border, get your forms, go get a provincial safety inspection, bring it all to MTO aka the DMV and register.

That’s the issue I would have , the car would not pass a visual inspection with in 45 days of crossing the border .

So another words people never purchase rollers or project cars from the states ?

The rules are similar down here as far as not removing any emissions stuff and fines are stiff if they want them to be .. does vary by state as far as if they enforce them or not .

So probably keeping the car in the states until doing a engine swap would be my only option.

I’d rather not bend the rules or get tickets.

Not hog wild but would probably draw attention. ��

Thanks

Laffs
01-09-2020, 09:55 AM
You don't need to pass the visual to get it imported is what I keep saying. It's just if you're driving it around without emissions equipment and the ministry decides to pull you over then you are subject to one.

JOHN 86GT
01-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Thanks !