PDA

View Full Version : Another Breakin - Security monitoring company or Security camereas

redo75
09-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Another breakin at the house directly across the street from us today in afternoon. Took usual computer stuff, personal items and car keys.
Wife is upset and wants to call a security monitoring company and wire up the house. But who do you guys use and do they really call the police if there is a breakin in progress or are cameras a better way to go?
Thanks.

Stephen06GT
09-07-2019, 11:26 PM
Good question. Earlier today I was talking about ditching the monitored system and going to a camera based one, but I'm not sure if that is the right move.

FABMAN
09-08-2019, 12:08 AM
I have both an Alarm with monitoring and cameras all around the house. In the end they are all deterrents and nothing more. I still had someone rummage through one of our cars that we forgot unlocked one night. Only difference was I got to watch the video the next day.

Gave a copy of the video to the cops and never heard anything about again.

Ponyryd
09-08-2019, 01:13 AM
We had monitoring at my old shop, and I was one of the contacts. I set the alarm off a few times while working there and what happens is this: the alarm goes off, 1-5 minutes later they call the shop, I don’t answer, they call again, I answer and give my info, they shut it down and do nothing more. So yea, it’s good if someone is going to be there a while, cuz by the time they call you, then the cops, then the cops get there it’s been a bit of time.
I’d get cameras, but currently I just use my dog.

True Blue
09-08-2019, 08:02 AM
I have both a alarm and cameras around my place.

If you don't have an alarm, get some alarm stickers. Get a big SS dog bowl for the front porch and "beware of dog" signs for your fence gate(s).

Clutt gt
09-08-2019, 08:51 AM
I use the Mastiff 130 system. It doesn’t do anything but consume food, but most thieves won’t chance it.
https://i.imgur.com/fUpswrf.jpg

Minaccia
09-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Get a big dog and you're good to go.

Uncle Buck
09-08-2019, 10:05 AM
I have a monitored alarm, a couple of Nest cameras and a big dog.

I think stickers in the windows are the best deterrent.

A veteran cop told me once that security stickers in the windows, a beware of dog sign and a big water dish on the porch keeps most thieves away. You don't actually need a dog.

With these in place, thieves will tend to go to your neighbours instead.

redo75
09-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Sorrry dog option is out - looking for home security not long dog walks with huge "pick-ups" every morning at 7AM.
Looking for your experiences with major companies. Looking for home security only no smoke alarms, no cameras in door locks, etc. Perfer wireless that I can install.
I have 12 windows on my ground floor and i am worried about how the sensors work on opened windows or if windows are jimmied with a crow bar? No smashed glass.
In London.

JZ67
09-08-2019, 10:58 AM
Sorrry dog option is out - looking for home security not long dog walks with huge "pick-ups" every morning at 7AM.
Looking for your experiences with major companies. Looking for home security only no smoke alarms, no cameras in door locks, etc. Perfer wireless that I can install.
I have 12 windows on my ground floor and i am worried about how the sensors work on opened windows or if windows are jimmied with a crow bar? No smashed glass.
In London.

Stickers on the windows are a great deterrent. If you choose to go with a wireless monitored system (I have used Alarm Force) you don't have to secure each window with a sensor. Well placed motion detection will do an effective job. The likelihood is that an intruder doesn't want to deal with broken glass anyway and would opt to kick in a door.

BTW, those 7 am walks are very therapeutic not to mention the loyalty a dog offers is its own reward. Bending to pick up landmines is a great stretch exercise too.

redo75
09-08-2019, 11:16 AM
I did a number of the dog walks when I "watched" my son's house in Calgary. He went to the sunny south a number of times over the past 10 years and yes it gets cold there!!! I was the security with a dog that would lick a burglar and maybe hold his bag while he loaded it. Sorry did I mention my wife says no dogs period.

Laffs
09-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Benelli M4.

But in all honesty focus more on perimeter and intrusion security. Quality steel doors installed and anchored correct. Quality dead bolts. Alarms are a deterrent but not fool proof. I have everything valuable locked in a cabinet or chest so it's even more work for a thief to get. Monitoring is good if you do all the above since you're buying more response time. I have cameras as well but that's less for deterrence and more for evidence really.

You can prevent a lot of crime by opportunity by not leaving shit out and visible, as wells a being vigilant with your door and window locking. However anyone who really wants in will get in sadly.

Clutt gt
09-09-2019, 11:18 PM
After years of working insurance restoration and doing emergency board ups and repairs.
I can tell you 85% of the time. Point of entry is a side or back door that is out of plain sight.
One good kick right beside the knob. The latch blows through the striker witch is installed with 3/4 long #8 screws, blowing out the casing and jamb.
These can be replaced with a heavy duty striker that uses 3” screws that go through the door jamb into the framing.
You can also install a matching brass or stainless reinforcement for the door preventing the door itself from coming apart.

Now it takes multiple kicks that may draw attention from the neighbors. That and a few security stickers and some motion lights will deter most would be thieves. They will move on to the next house.
Much like my 130 lb guard dog that is way more family companion than guard dog. It’s just not worth the risk to them.

Chinga
09-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Saw this threshold mounted security device on Flakebook.

https://www.thesuperboo.com/high-security-door-locks/?fbclid=IwAR2fXP6fUvrrS7pvE2tw0gPSE2fXWryQeIWoeM-M0hI5-9-CpstigWutA6Q

Alarms are only as good as the installation work as these people found out with Alarm Force which is owned by Bell.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5773797/ontario-couple-home-alarm-system-failure/

I have ADT at the office with cameras mounted along with the typical sensors in the office area and in the warehouse area. It works well as it even detected the melting snow falling off my truck and sent a motion alert to ADT who then called me within a minute or so. I knew what it had to be as no door sensors had been activated nor any glass broken. You get what you pay for though and like car shit you can't have cheap and good but only one...

mavrrrick
09-23-2019, 12:53 PM
Insured by Smith and Wesson stickers help!!