PDA

View Full Version : Track day thoughts...

Stephen06GT
09-11-2019, 08:41 PM
We are a little over twelve hours from our fall track day, thank you DaSilva Racing, and here are a few thoughts to remember:

This is a lapping day. It's not a race, nor a timed event and there won't be any scouts looking for new talent to drive at the next Rolex 24.

Check your ego at the gate. Your car may be fast, but it doesn't mean you are. You may have a brand new PP2 or GT350 but you may get pushed around the track by a Fox or an SN95.

Flags:

A - Advanced Group (those with experience, racing slicks and have been on track a time or ten)
I - Intermediate Group (those with track experience but who run at a little slower pace than the A's.
R - Rookie Group (those with little to no track experience and who are out, maybe for the first time, to try their hand at a lapping day. No passing in this group.)

Green - track is open and running normally
Yellow - CAUTION, there has been an on track incident, please slow down and keep a look out
Red - SERIOUS incident on the track. Proceed to the pits immediately at reduced speed. Do not stop on the track unless directed by the flagger.
Blue - Faster cars behind you, single them to pass, stay on the line, EASE off the throttle and let them by. Or as the head marshal use to say at Mustangs at Mosport "There's a race coming and you ain't in it"
Black - We need to talk to you. Finish your lap and exit the track and report to the flagger or marshal. It may be an issue with your car, or driving, or... We won't get mad at you, unless you ignore the flag.

Have fun. Lapping days are about spending time with like minded auto enthusiasts and having some on track fun by pushing our cars to limits not allowed on public roads.

See you in the morning.

ZR
09-11-2019, 09:34 PM
See ya'll in the am.

ZR
09-11-2019, 09:38 PM
https://musicart.xboxlive.com/6/cfbe7324-0000-0000-0000-000000000009/504/image.jpg?w=1920&h=1080

Jack Raccoon!
09-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Have a fun, safe, damage free time everyone...

ZR
09-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Morning JR.

G-ForceJunkie
09-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Red - SERIOUS incident on the track. Proceed to the pits immediately at reduced speed. Do not stop on the track unless directed by the flagger.
Great post Stephen with some timely reminders, but the above quote caught my eye. Is this how TMP handles red flags at these days? Every track day I've ever been to - Red flag means stop at the side of the track as soon as it's safe to do so. There are other flags that can be used to get everyone off track - checkered and/or typically black. Red means you need the ambulance rolling, and the ambulance doesn't roll until all cars are stopped.

RedSN
09-12-2019, 07:37 AM
Except there’s only one flag station and no ambulance at TMP.

But you’re right, red means stop and get over.

mavrrrick
09-12-2019, 07:39 AM
Have fun all and be safe. no :blackflag:

92redragtop
09-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Have a fun, safe day at the track everyone.

Jack Raccoon!
09-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Wet weather brings the "drivers" to the top...

Quicksilver
09-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Dammn. I went into my office today at 6:45 AM, to write out what needs to be done for today, so that my people could handle it. By the time I looked up from my desk, between missed supplier deliveries, questions from 4 different crews, a call from the building inspector, a short but loud fight with my son, an shorter social call from my best friend, two separate purchase orders and signing a couple of cheques, it was 9:30! By the time i gathered up my helmet, odds and ends and some food, plus wiping off the car and gassing up, it would have been at least noon before making it to the track. And I so wanted to show you guys how much better the Jag is than my old Mustang. Ah well. Maybe next spring.

NickD
09-12-2019, 01:33 PM
How's the weather for those that are there, I was discouraged after the cold wet spring day in the rain but in Mississauga it's cleared up and around 17 degrees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Armen
09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
It’s fine now. Track is dry. Overcast day.

newbiestangowner
09-12-2019, 06:10 PM
How's the weather for those that are there, I was discouraged after the cold wet spring day in the rain but in Mississauga it's cleared up and around 17 degrees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

U missed out buddy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newbiestangowner
09-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Good day today. Thanks Joe and everyone! Slo turd was in a class all by itself- Super Slow
There’s a red Cobra- pure awesomeness during ride along! Driver ain’t too bad either, now that’s pretty damn fast brother!!
Thanks for the ride along

Short quick phone vid

https://youtu.be/NnZkW3t7AvY

hammerhead
09-12-2019, 08:50 PM
Good day today. Thanks Joe and everyone! Slo turd was in a class all by itself- Super Slow
There’s a red Cobra- pure awesomeness during ride along! Driver ain’t too bad either, now that’s pretty damn fast brother!!
Thanks for the ride along

Short quick phone vid

https://youtu.be/NnZkW3t7AvY

planning for spring - may come with two cars and my son - one bow-tie one fox for an 80's showdown...

newbiestangowner
09-12-2019, 08:51 PM
planning for spring - may come with two cars and my son - one bow-tie one fox for an 80's showdown...

Yes! Sounds good, missed u out there bud!

Armen
09-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Great day!

I conveniently showed up just as the track dried out.

Drove my car hard and it did not disappoint. Such a great all around ride. It impresses me more and more every track day.

Thanks to Dasilva and TMC for hosting again.

98 Snake
09-12-2019, 10:36 PM
Awesome day at the track, thanks to DaSilva and tmc for giving us the opportunity for the track day, track was really wet in the morning and was outrite scary, luckily the rain stopped just before lunch and the track begain to dry out, after lunch we has a really grippy track given the rain we had.

Shout to the new people that had never been on a track before progress so quickly.

All and all another great day with a new personal best lap time time of 1.24.83 on at track that was undriveable in the morning .

RedSN
09-12-2019, 10:43 PM
I conveniently showed up just as the track dried out.
Yes. Very convenient. It was the rest of us that dried the track out before you got there. Well ....that and the 80kph winds, LOL.

Turned out to be a great day! Was a bit worried driving through the rain around Milton/Mississauga, and the continued drizzle the rest of the way to the track, but once Armen arrived track conditions improved and had a great time. Car did great, was finally able to push the new springs, tires, and brakes.

Huge thanks again to DaSilva Racing for hosting this great event, and TMC crew for running it so smoothly.

ZR
09-13-2019, 07:46 AM
As the morning went on, brisk winds backed off to moderate and rain turned to odd lil bit of drizzle. Just before lunch, stopped completely and while we had a bite to eat, wind dried the track. As the afternoon wore on, sky got brighter and the track warmed up making for a great time out there. As per the norm, you simply can not rely on the forecast nor trust what your seeing our your front door is whats happening at TMP. Fantastic day all round, thank you again to Joe and everyone at DaSilva's for continuing to make this happen. Also kudo's to everyone that worked alongside to make the day run so smoothly.

Quicksilver
09-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Double damn! Missed a good day. Maybe my advanced age is colouring my actions as to whether I go or not. I find more and more I don't like too cool or too hot weather.

newbiestangowner
09-13-2019, 10:57 AM
One thing that was epic was watching Father & Son following each other on the track.
Brad’s dad was practically drifting through some corners, pleasure to watch!

RedSN
09-13-2019, 11:29 AM
I find more and more I don't like too cool or too hot weather.

If 10c is too cold, and 30c is too hot, then you missed a Goldilocks day right in the sweet spot 20c.

1BAD92LX
09-13-2019, 12:04 PM
An afternoon like yesterday makes the 950km round trip so worth it. Only had 2 holy shit moments and corded one tire. (huge rear end drift exiting turn 1 chasing the Focus RS and F1 style brake lock up into turn 1 while being chased by my Dad) Good day in my books.
Hopefully we can get more people out to these events to keep them going

Armen
09-13-2019, 12:40 PM
And I so wanted to show you guys how much better the Jag is than my old Mustang. Ah well. Maybe next spring.

Is it better off road tho?

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15990&d=1548440773

ZR
09-13-2019, 12:46 PM
An afternoon like yesterday makes the 950km round trip so worth it. Only had 2 holy shit moments and corded one tire. (huge rear end drift exiting turn 1 chasing the Focus RS and F1 style brake lock up into turn 1 while being chased by my Dad) Good day in my books.

Amen to that.

fast Ed
09-13-2019, 01:26 PM

http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15990&d=1548440773

Grass is always quicker, less rolling resistance than pavement.

Quicksilver
09-13-2019, 02:34 PM

That's not me!!

Armen
09-13-2019, 03:17 PM
That's not me!!

Well, it’s your car. Look at the wheels.

Quicksilver
09-13-2019, 04:34 PM
Well, it’s your car. Look at the wheels.

It's am impostor. I would never slide out like that!!!
Just over enthusiastic. I guess my skills haven't been used in so long they went rusty

ZR
09-13-2019, 04:38 PM
^ That can happen.

Jack Raccoon!
09-13-2019, 06:25 PM
Dammn. I went into my office today at 6:45 AM, to write out what needs to be done for today, so that my people could handle it. By the time I looked up from my desk, between missed supplier deliveries, questions from 4 different crews, a call from the building inspector, a short but loud fight with my son, an shorter social call from my best friend, two separate purchase orders and signing a couple of cheques, it was 9:30! By the time i gathered up my helmet, odds and ends and some food, plus wiping off the car and gassing up, it would have been at least noon before making it to the track. And I so wanted to show you guys how much better the Jag is than my old Mustang. Ah well. Maybe next spring.

Amazing how you can make an event, that you did not attend, all about yourself. You are absolutely the most self centred braggart in the history of the internet...

Jack Raccoon!
09-13-2019, 06:35 PM
Just as they say on YouTube, don't forget to hit the like button...

Jack Raccoon!
09-13-2019, 06:42 PM
I am envious of you though. If I had an 18 inch penis, I'd spend all my time blowing my own horn too...

hammerhead
09-14-2019, 11:17 AM

really cool you guys come all that way - hope to meet you guys next year - just out of curiosity: is there any road course tracks in your neck of the woods?

1BAD92LX
09-14-2019, 05:49 PM
I grew up in Hamilton and lived until ten years ago. My parents are still there and I stay there over night when I drive down the day before track day. There is F all for road course tracks up here. There was talk of some sort of complex being built in Sudbury but only drag, go kart and motor cross type stuff. Calabogie in Ottawa looks awesome but is major $$. Grand bend road course looks cool but is a pain for me to get to, and no hotel parents house lol.

Quicksilver
09-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Jack Raccoon, why is it that you hate me so much? My post was not "all about me". It was a genuine lament that I couldn't go to the event. I was simply telling a story. In the past, I have been told by many people that my "stories" are entertaining and in another life I should have been a writer.
From now on I will not post anything again that makes even remote mention of my life and history. Will that satisfy you?

fast Ed
09-17-2019, 10:57 AM
I grew up in Hamilton and lived until ten years ago. My parents are still there and I stay there over night when I drive down the day before track day. There is F all for road course tracks up here. There was talk of some sort of complex being built in Sudbury but only drag, go kart and motor cross type stuff. Calabogie in Ottawa looks awesome but is major $$. Grand bend road course looks cool but is a pain for me to get to, and no hotel parents house lol.

Calabogie is very fun to drive, but the only lower cost stuff they have (that I'm aware of) are some evening lapping events which of course wouldn't make sense for you or anyone from the GTA with the travel distance involved. Besides, you need most of a day to figure out it anyway ... 20 corners over 5.0 km! It has a great flow with a nice mix of slower and quicker corners along with some elevation changes to make it very interesting.

cheers
Ed

hammerhead
09-17-2019, 11:00 AM
Jack Raccoon, why is it that you hate me so much? My post was not "all about me". It was a genuine lament that I couldn't go to the event. I was simply telling a story. In the past, I have been told by many people that my "stories" are entertaining and in another life I should have been a writer.
From now on I will not post anything again that makes even remote mention of my life and history. Will that satisfy you?

Critics are a necessary evil - the best criticism is honest criticism - take it with a grain of salt or celebrate it and learn from it, but never stop doing what you like because of it....

mavrrrick
09-17-2019, 11:12 AM
Me's think he just trying to get your goat....baaaaaaaaaa

RedSN
09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Road Course Grudge Match:

Quicksilver Jaguar
vs
JackRaccoon Miata

Jack Raccoon!
09-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Jack Raccoon, why is it that you hate "me" so much? "My" post was not "all about me". It was a genuine lament that "I" couldn't go to the event. "I" was simply telling a story. In the past, "I" have been told by many people that "my" "stories" are entertaining and in another life "I" should have been a writer.
From now on "I" will not post anything again that makes even remote mention of "my" life and history. Will that satisfy you?

"ME"-2
"MY"-3
"I"-5

Steve, I don't hate you. "Hate" is a strong word reserved for Racial Intolerance, Anti Semitism, Individual Sexual Identity and Lifestyle Choice. I accept everyone based on their personality. We have been through this many times in the past. Look within yourself, and I will do the same. In the meantime, continue to entertain us all...

Quicksilver
09-17-2019, 05:49 PM
I don't like being made fun of. Please stop.